Start by marking “Essential Avengers, Vol. 1” as Want to Read:
Essential Avengers, Vol. 1

Essential Avengers, Vol. 1 (Essential Avengers #1)

3.80  ·  Rating Details  ·  344 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
There came a day, unlike any other, when Earth's Mightiest Heroes found themselves united against a common threat. On that day, the Avengers were born - to fight the foes no single hero could withstand.
Published July 27th 2005 by Marvel Comics Group (first published January 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Essential Avengers, Vol. 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Essential Avengers, Vol. 1

The Essential Calvin and Hobbes by Bill WattersonHomicidal Psycho Jungle Cat by Bill WattersonThe Authoritative Calvin And Hobbes by Bill WattersonIt's a Magical World by Bill WattersonWeirdos from Another Planet! by Bill Watterson
Comics! Comics! Graphic Novels!
43rd out of 264 books — 37 voters
Avengers Legends, Vol. 1 by Kurt BusiekThe New Avengers, Vol. 1 by Brian Michael BendisJLA/Avengers by Kurt BusiekAvengers Assemble, Vol. 1 by Kurt BusiekThe Avengers by Roy Thomas
Best of the Avengers
33rd out of 176 books — 23 voters

More lists with this book...

Mike (the Paladin)
Jun 15, 2013 Mike (the Paladin) rated it really liked it
I collected comics from the early 60s...what is called the silver age of comics...(I mean I began in the early 60s). I had the Avengers from #4 on, then stopped collecting in the mid 70s. If you're a comic book person you know they got a lot darker at that time. Then...in a finical crisis I had to sell my collection. So, when I came across the Essential collections I was able to recover at least the stories. I went with 4 stars since they are in black and white, but still they're good.

So much o
Renata
Jan 29, 2012 Renata rated it liked it
I think this held up better than Golden Age Batman. I enjoyed it, though it's still kitschy of course, with plenty of unintentional hilarity. (Like how after Zemo sprays the city with super adhesive glue, the Wasp goes to find "Paste-Pot Pete" to save the day. Thank God for Paste-Pot Pete!) It is a LOT of comics and my interest waned toward the end--but maybe that's just because Iron Man and the Wasp both left the team halfway through. (Also the Hulk and Ant-Man, but I care less about them.)
Zack! Empire
I feel somewhat bad for writing this, considering how much i love silver age Marvel, but this book is not very good. Just overall in terms of story, and the art, it comes up laking. I was trying to figure out what this book seems to be missing and i think i know: there are no subplots. The gold standard for Marvel around this time would be Spider-Man, or the Fantastic Four, and the thing that makes them good is all the subplots going on. While an issue of either of those would advance the lifes ...more
Adam Graham
Feb 15, 2013 Adam Graham rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Launched in September 1963, the Avengers were Marvel's answer to the Justice League. However, there were some marked differences from the Justice Leagues. For starters, neither of Marvel characters, Spider-man or the Fantastic Four found their way into the Avengers. Instead, the Avengers featured characters who didn't actually have their own comic book but shared their titles with other characters. The first line up included Iron Man from Tales of Suspense; Ant Man, the Wasp, and the Incredible ...more
Fizzgig76
Jun 22, 2013 Fizzgig76 rated it really liked it
Reprints Avengers (1) #1-24 (September 1963-January 1966). In an attempt to destroy his brother Thor, Loki accidentally leads to a gathering of heroes. With Iron Man, Giant Man, the Wasp, Thor, and the Hulk, the Avengers find themselves as Earth’s mightiest heroes. When World War II hero, Captain America is found frozen in ice, a new generation learns of his greatness as he rallies a team that grows to include members like Hawkeye, Quicksilver, and the Scarlet Witch as they fight to protect the ...more
Helmut
Mar 07, 2013 Helmut rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, superheroes
Startet sehr langsam...

...und nimmt dann Fahrt auf. Band 1 der Essential Avengers ist für mich klar zweigeteilt: Der mühsame, extrem formelhafte und langweilige Beginn mit den Mitgliedern Iron Man, Thor und Giant Man... und dann, ab dem Punkt, in dem die Lineup wechselt, fangen dann auch die Geschichten an, Fahrt aufzunehmen und spannender zu werden.

Seltsam, denn eigentlich sind die Originalmitglieder an sich deutlich interessantere Charaktere - aber zuviele Köche verderben den Brei, und die Abs
Professor
Apr 10, 2007 Professor rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of silver age comics
Man, a lot of folks I know who read comics look down on the 1960s stuff. But they're nuts. You want fun? You want high flown dialogue, loopy nicknames, epic battles, all bright but with just a bit of complexity, character conflict and such creeping in? With plenty of WTF moments and painfully dated gender roles and politics(okay, I may be one of the few that finds that part of amusing, but as time goes on we see the Wasp become a little more proactive)? Well, look no further. As a guy raised on ...more
Angela Davis
May 30, 2014 Angela Davis rated it liked it
Shelves: comic
Hark back to the glory days of the Marvel age. I enjoyed seeing the original Stan Lee comics and the basis for the popular movies. While I understand that the Avengers is a collection of heroes comeing together to fight bigger threats it felt like it was missing pieces of the story. I understand that this si due to each character having their own story arc and comic books but it made the whole collection feel a little disjointed.
Aug 12, 2011 Sarah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic_novels
Reading the original 60s comics from a modern standpoint pretty much automatically leads to hilarity. The treatment of women is offensive (but I grind my teeth and say "1963! 1963!), there's a lot of (probably) unintentional homoeroticism, and comics have now evolved so far beyond this point, it is almost like reading a different medium. But still, fun, and worth it for the historical value.
Adam Walker
Good clean fun.
Joe
Jan 05, 2011 Joe rated it liked it
Over a year and a half ago, I picked this book up to become better acquainted with the Avenger's origins before the movie came out. It was so mind-numbingly boring that I set it down a LOT. However, once the Avenger's line-up changed and all my fave heroes left, the book became tons more interesting. Hawkeye is my new favorite.
Miloš
Kolekcija od prve 24 epizode Osvetnika mi je donela mnogo radosti, ali ipak ne mogu, a da ne kazem da su ovi prvi crtezi i same price ipak mnogo u zaostatku za svojim modernim nastavcima tako da nema svrhe ocenjivati ovu kôlekciju, jer mislim da ta ocena kakva god bila ne bi u potpunosti bila tacna...
Danijel
Sep 13, 2014 Danijel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
Jedno od boljih stvari Silver age superherojskog doba stripova. Iako su pune klasičnih stripovskih klišeja i jeftinih zapleta, imaju taj neki šarm šunda onog nevinog doba kad su stripovi uveseljavali generacije klinaca. Ocjena je više onako subjektivan izraz moje nostalgije.
Jeff
Jul 24, 2011 Jeff rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great peak at the past into issues that would otherwise be way out of my price range. The cheese factor is a bit much, but hey we are talking 40 years ago. It's any comic book reader's heritage.
Templehurst
Jun 27, 2012 Templehurst rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history, 2012
Amazingly sexist, amazingly homoerotic, amazingly cheesy, amazingly illogical, and also highly entertaining.
Trebro
Nov 21, 2007 Trebro rated it it was ok
Shelves: tradepaperbacks
Review is too long for Goodreads, you can find it here: http://trebro.livejournal.com/182028....
Tara Calaby
Jun 09, 2015 Tara Calaby rated it really liked it
The early Avengers comics are not the best of them, but I still really enjoy them.
Gary Lee
Nov 27, 2008 Gary Lee rated it liked it
A fun history lesson of Lee/Kirby era Marvel comics.
Cheesy, repetitive, ridiculous.
Bubba
Jun 12, 2012 Bubba rated it really liked it
Kang the Conqueror!
Daniel Motsinger
May 16, 2012 Daniel Motsinger rated it really liked it
Marc Christie
Marc Christie rated it it was amazing
Feb 08, 2016
Shaun Baker
Shaun Baker rated it it was amazing
Feb 07, 2016
Yogendra Singh
Yogendra Singh rated it it was amazing
Jan 28, 2016
Simone
Simone rated it it was amazing
Jan 26, 2016
Vasa68
Vasa68 added it
Jan 21, 2016
ece
ece rated it it was amazing
Jan 23, 2016
Ross Vincent
Ross Vincent marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2016
Zenon
Zenon rated it it was amazing
Jan 19, 2016
  • Essential Moon Knight, Vol. 1
  • Essential Tomb of Dracula, Vol. 1
  • The Green Lantern/Green Arrow Collection, Vol. 2
  • Marvel Masterworks: Golden Age Captain America, Vol. 1
  • The Ultimates 3: Who Killed the Scarlet Witch?
  • Legion of Super-Heroes, Vol. 2: Death of a Dream
  • Essential Wolverine, Vol. 2
  • Formerly Known as the Justice League
Stan Lee (born Stanley Martin Lieber) is an American writer, editor, creator of comic book superheroes, and the former president and chairman of Marvel Comics.

With several artist co-creators, most notably Jack Kirby and Steve Ditko, he co-created Spider-Man, the Fantastic Four, the X-Men, Iron Man, the Hulk, Daredevil, the Silver Surfer, Dr. Strange, and many other characters, introducing complex,
More about Stan Lee...

Essential Avengers (9 books)
  • Essential Avengers, Vol. 2
  • Essential Avengers, Vol. 3
  • Essential Avengers, Vol. 4
  • Essential Avengers, Vol. 5
  • Essential Avengers, Vol. 6
  • Essential Avengers, Vol. 7
  • Essential Avengers, Vol. 8
  • Essential Avengers, Vol. 9

“The power of prayer is still the greatest ever known in this endless eternal universe.-The Watcher in The Avengers #14” 23 likes