Start by marking “Mister Teacher” as Want to Read:
Mister Teacher
Preview

Mister Teacher (Teacher #2)

3.99 of 5 stars 3.99  ·  rating details  ·  129 ratings  ·  15 reviews
It's 1978, and Jack Sheffield begins his second year as headmaster of a small village primary school in North Yorkshire. There are three letters on his desk - one makes him smile, one makes him sad and one is destined to change his life forever. This is from nine-year-old Sebastian, suffering from leukaemia in the local hospital, who writes a heartbreaking letter addressed ...more
Published September 25th 2008 by Corgi (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Mister Teacher, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mister Teacher

Grammar*Kitten
My mum is a teacher, and I have grown up socialising with a lot of her teacher friends; reading this book made me howl with laughter. It is poignant and funny, and reminds me of hearing stories straight from the classroom!

A brilliant read that I'd recommend to teachers, parents, or just anyone who can appreciate the funny things that kids say and do.
Chris
Thoroughly enjoyed this. Fantastic observations on the people around him and some funny anecdotes, especially with the benefit of hindsight and things we know have now happened. "Harry Potter - everyone will soon forget that name!" LOL It is simply written so an easy read but the human and heart warming sentiment is not lost and it is fantastic when the village bully finally gets his comeuppance. The small stories of things the children say and write and interjected with observations about the v ...more
Sue
Sequel to 'Teacher, Teacher', this book documents the second year of Jack Sheffield's life as headmaster in the fictional Ragley School, a small primary school set in a village in Yorkshire.

It continues many of the threads started in the previous book, and introduces some new and interesting characters. As with the first book, there are some amusing parts, and some which are quite emotional. The sub-plots are many, and mostly believable; the book well-written on the whole.

I did find myself annoy
ReaderSP
I haven't read Teacher, Teacher and was pleasantly surprised that I could read the sequel without any issues. This book was given to me by a friend and I started it straight away.
This is basically an autobiography of Jack Sheffield and depicts his tales as a Head Teacher at a village school in Yorkshire. The book is set in the late seventies, when the world was a seemingly different place. The story shows how simple everything must have been then, only merely 30 years ago, and also Jack Sheffiel
Alan
It's a bit like watching the Phantom Menace - I started with what I now understand is book THREE in the series, and have now just finished book TWO, so I need to get book ONE later, and have just realised book FOUR is due to be published, and FIVE is in progress...

I remembered more about 1978/9 - the topical references are great, especially viewed through a long lens. I especially noted references to Harry Potter, Designer Labels and Saddam Hussain...

Another enjoyable romp through the late 70s

I
Nina Levison
Very enjoyable story, with amusing anecdotes.
Diana
This novel could almost be called a memoir. Jack is in his second year as headmaster and teacher for a private elementary school in a small English village in the 1970’s. Each chapter is based on an entry in his journal and expands on the particular incident at that time. It is an entertaining look at the local characters and the school in that place and time. I found it a light but delightful read.
Mar
Whether or not you're a teacher this book will put a smile on your face, you will want to read the following ones. The description of a small village in North Yorkshire and it inhabitants is so accurate that I had to go and check a few places out, to my surprise (good surprise) I could see several scenes of the book reflected in the different places.
Kim
2nd book in trilogy. Colourful cast of characters who accompany Jack through the ups and downs of the school year. Humorous, easy to read.
Rosslyn
Was a bit disappointed as seemed alot more contrived than the first one. Shame really!
Claudia
Cute story with an interesting use of nostalgia for the seventies as a common thread.
Rachel
I liked this it was amusing enough but it had the most infuriating ending!
Mike Singer
A really enjoyable feel-good series about life as a village school head.
Hazel Roberts
entertaining
Catherine
A good light read.
Kim Mcbreezy
Kim Mcbreezy marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2015
Megan Ratcliffe
Megan Ratcliffe marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2015
Elise Convents
Elise Convents marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2015
Emma
Emma marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2015
Helen
Helen added it
Feb 21, 2015
April Brown
April Brown marked it as to-read
Feb 13, 2015
Zoe
Zoe marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2015
  • Something Borrowed
  • The Concubine of Shanghai
  • Seasons in the Sun: The Battle for Britain, 1974-1979
  • Nurse! Nurse!: A Student Nurse's Story
  • The Cure of Souls (Merrily Watkins, #4)
  • The Grafton Girls (World War II, #3)
  • Lime Street at Two
  • The Moaning of Life: The Worldly Wisdom of Karl Pilkington
  • Darwin, His Daughter, and Human Evolution
  • Honeycote (Honeycote, #1)
  • The Shadow Collector (Wesley Peterson, #17)
  • Rabbit Stew and a Penny or Two: A Gypsy Family's Hard Times and Happy Times on the Road in the 1950s
  • Nurse On Call: The True Story of a 1950s District Nurse
  • Mystery in the Minster (Matthew Bartholomew, #17)
  • Le brave ragazze combinano guai

Teacher (8 books)