Start by marking “My Father's Rifle: A Childhood in Kurdistan” as Want to Read:
My Father's Rifle: A Childhood in Kurdistan

My Father's Rifle: A Childhood in Kurdistan

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  113 ratings  ·  16 reviews
This beautiful, spare, autobiographical narrative tells of the life of a Kurd named Azad as he grows to manhood in Iraq during the 1960s and 1970s. Azad is born into a vibrant village culture that hopes for a free Kurdish future. He loves his mother's orchard, his cousin's stunt pigeons, his father's old Czech rifle, his brother who is fighting in the mountains. But before ...more
Published January 24th 2006 by Picador (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about My Father's Rifle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Father's Rifle

Ron
This short memoir, with its simply told and clearly translated story, tells of a boyhood in Kurdistan, a nation of people divided between four countries: Iran, Iraq, Turkey, and Syria. The struggle for nationhood and freedom from oppression is told through the point of view of a boy growing into manhood. For readers who take national self-determination for granted, this account will illuminate what millions of refugees and politically disenfranchised peoples around the world experience every day ...more
peter
A refugee from Kurdistan, now a filmmaker in Paris, recalls his childhood in northern Iraq, before and during the rise of Saddam and the Baath butchers. The narrator, like everyone else, is intent on peacable, everyday life, but becomes little by little aware that that is not so possible an undertaking, as he and his family and neighbors become little by little embroiled in larger events, and manipulated by the fascist Baath operatives. The conflict between optimism and fate is captured in bruta ...more
Brendan
There’s no arguing that Hiner Saleem, a filmmaker living in Paris and writing in French, is a wonderful storyteller. In the 99 pages of his new memoir, My Father’s Rifle: A Childhood in Kurdistan, he manages to pack in Saddam Hussein, Richard Nixon, and Henry Kissinger; a troubled adolescence, girls, and cigarettes; war, art, and pomegranates. (Lots of pomegranates.) Characters deliver harangues on Kurdish history, Kurdish independence, and Kurdish worthlessness; they deliver harangues on Iraqi ...more
Ava Homa
I loved it. Subtle and deep with so many historical, social and geopolitical references. I could not put it down and found the reading experience a rewarding, insightful and delightful one. I now want to watch all of his movies.
Good but left me wanting information - that's wonderful, but book could have given more .
Salome
Short, yet detailed biography! This book is written from the perspective of a child known as Azad Shero Selim. As a reader you're immediately hit with the turmoil Azad and his family face in an endeavor of survival as Kurds living in Iraq in the 1960's and 70's.
I personally think this book was wonderful to read. There is a lot to be learnt here. There is a strong sense of knowing who you are and what you should fight for that comes through in this short biography.
Alfredo
Short bio-novel that gives us an insight of what reality and every day to day is for Kurds, starting from a child's perspective and with a very tender touch inside a Kurdish family.
Tiago
uma história verdadeiramente emocionante contada na primeira pessoa.
Melanie
This is a touching novella. Saleem tells a simple but sometimes painful story, made more emotive by the truth behind it. Normal pursuits of youth are contrasted with a fight for Kurdish independence. It is laden with imagery; fresh fruit juxtaposed with guns. The prose is beautiful and the story is engaging.
Shawn Sinclair
Dec 15, 2007 Shawn Sinclair rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone seeking a better understanding of the Kurdish people.
This is the first hand account of a young Kurdish boy growing up in Northern Iraq. The book really informed me of the love the Kurdish people took in their art, poetry, and beautiful landscape, and the trials tribulations and losses they underwent trying to keep them during the Baathist Parties Regeime.
Viktor
Både ett intressant levnadsöde och en bit nutidshistoria. Oerhört läsvärd för vem som hällst som är lite nyfiken på saker utanför sundbyberg.
Amenah K.
I enjoyed the book, but I was looking for more depth.
barbka21
Poetic. Slices of harsh Kurdish history.
Sylvia
Brave. Blunt. Beautiful.
Tinck
I read it in Slovene.
Jon
Jon added it
Nov 19, 2014
Rachel Corey
Rachel Corey marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2014
Heather Miller
Heather Miller marked it as to-read
Oct 14, 2014
Monica
Monica marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2014
Shaho MohamedAli
Shaho MohamedAli marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2014
Cindy
Cindy marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2014
Selim Berderman
Selim Berderman marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2014
Catgirl (in Perth)
Catgirl (in Perth) marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2014
Adel Orozco
Adel Orozco marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2014
Adam Tahir
Adam Tahir marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Hiner Saleem (also transliterated as Hiner Salim) is an Iraqi–Kurdish film director.
His memoir, My Father's Rifle, has been translated into several languages.
Hiner Saleem was born in the town of Aqrah in Iraqi Kurdistan. He left Iraq at the age of 17, and soon made his way to Italy, where he completed school and attended university. Later on, he moved to France where he lives now.
In 1992, after
More about Hiner Saleem...