Start by marking “Trigun Maximum Volume 1: Hero Returns (Trigun Maximum, #1)” as Want to Read:
Trigun Maximum Volume 1: Hero Returns (Trigun Maximum, #1)

Trigun Maximum Volume 1: Hero Returns (Trigun Maximum #1)

4.28 of 5 stars 4.28  ·  rating details  ·  6,274 ratings  ·  30 reviews
As an anime series, Trigun gained a multitude of fans across the otaku landscape before gaining a huge mainstream manga audience. Now, Trigun goes beyond the storyline laid out in the anime and the first two volumes of the manga into brand new territory!

Our hero Vash the Stampede disappeared for two years after blasting a crater onto the moon orbiting the desert planet he
Published June 8th 2004 by Dark Horse Manga (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Trigun Maximum Volume 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Trigun Maximum Volume 1

Death Note, Vol. 1 by Tsugumi OhbaFruits Basket, Vol. 1 by Natsuki TakayaFullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 01 by Hiromu ArakawaOuran High School Host Club, Vol. 1 by Bisco HatoriVampire Knight, Vol. 01 by Matsuri Hino
Best Manga/Anime Book Ever
154th out of 890 books — 2,604 voters
Black Butler, Vol. 13 by Yana TobosoOuran High School Host Club, Vol. 14 by Bisco HatoriBlack Butler, Vol. 09 by Yana TobosoAttack on Titan, Vol. 1 by Hajime IsayamaFruits Basket, Vol. 1 by Natsuki Takaya
Manga Read In 2014
149th out of 174 books — 10 voters

More lists with this book...

Taylor
I thought this book had a good mixture of humor, action and storytelling all wrapped up in a sci-fi setting that was appealing. i remember watching this anime when i was younger and this re sparked my intrest and placed feelings of nostalgia in me. The characters were believeable and the fights that occoured were amuzing to see and showed the skill of the characters. This is Deep Space Planet Future Gun Action indeed.
Angela
This... Vash always has a special place in my heart. I recommend this to everyone everywhere!!! This is a story that will take you on a roller coaster ride of emotions. I cannot explain how beautifully written this story was, and the illustrations were so seducing in the way that they were executed. Many emotions are definitely to be had for this hero; so many characters to fall in love with and so many to be angered with. *This world is made of LOVE AND PEACE!*
Holly Letson
This is the action-packed fun and quick read I've been longing to find since *Bleach* has been getting serious and laying off the action.
I went into this already in love with Wolfwood, though, and this volume just made me like him more.
Thanks much to Edelweiss for allowing me to read and review the first omnibus, of which this volume is a part of. All the opinions expressed in this review are my own.
---------------------------------
Vash the Stampede (the real one, not the kid using his name!
Immano
WARNING: minor spoilers past this particular volume below, nothing that ruins the whole series but I do mention a few things that happen later in the series (Also: see "Trigun", its inception/prequel).

'90s manga with a successful anime series in tow, set on a barren, desert planet in the future where hundreds of sleeper ships crashland, forcing survivors to struggle to survive in an extreme frontier setting. They succeed thanks to artificial beings called "plants" that were powering their ships
Rachel
The classic Trigun continues in this newly titled volume. All the characters are reintroduced right in the first volume, and Vash is more immediately beset by his woes than in the first part. Although comedy is still a part of the mixture, it is not as abundant. The action format is not well realized in the manga format, often it jumps around too much, and becomes difficult to follow. The written aspect sets up the story nicely though. For those that have not read the first part, or watched the ...more
Hephaestus
Hephaestus' rating system:

5 Stars: The book went above and beyond my expectations, delivering a tremendous literary understanding while not sacrificing the pacing of a compelling story.

4 Stars: The book was everything I had hoped it would be, delivering a terrific story while not blowing my mind.

3 Stars: The book was average - which does NOT mean bad. The book may have been well written, but the story was nothing special.

2 Stars: The book was below average. It did not meet my expectations and
Li
As of right now (2014/01/18), I am still a bit spotty in understanding in some places, and my rating has more to do with somehow rekindling abnormal amounts of enthusiasm about this series than it being particularly well written, ahah. I might revise it on a later re-reading. But having never read the manga before and yet knowing the anime pretty well/having just rewatched it, it's interesting what's different and what's the same.
Katie
Ok, first off, let me say I watched the Anime first. Loved the anime, it's one of my favorite TV shows ever. Let me also say this was my first manga; I was looking to get some of the back story that the show missed. But I had one heck of a time following this; maybe its cause I'm a newbie to the genre, maybe it's because I hadn't read the first two, maybe it's the fact that all the sounds were still in Japanese; I'm not sure.

The art was very confusing and I have since read several Mangas and ha
Sara
and trigun begins again, with most characters seemingly intact, and two years later from Vash's dissapearance.
Roberto Guillen
I loved it and I always hoped one day vash would finally snap but till the end he suffers like an idiot. Poor vash
Randolph Carter
The man in the red duster is back and we're in for more deep space planet future gun action. The whole gang is back: Wolfwood the priest, the two lesbians from the Bernardelli insurance agency, and even Knives.

Will Vash the Stampede cause even more mayhem? Will he blast the moon or devastate more cities while trying to not hurt anybody? You betcha!

Trigun is still my favorite manga/anime of all time and this first volume of Maximum is no disappointment. Picks up where Trigun left off.
Michelle (In Libris Veritas)
I liked this Trigun more so then the first two. It was still a little chaotic at times but I managed to follow the entire time and wasn't lost like I was with the others. I still don't understand some of it but I'm getting there. Vash is a interesting character and pretty odd at times but I enjoy his outlook on things, and I liked Wolfwood because he's kind of odd too.
*Queen Diva*
I really think I would have no clue what is going on in the manga if I hadn't seen the anime. I'm curious to see how the series progresses passed the anime series, and I hope I can follow it. The manga is still a bit chaotic and hard to understand. I hope it gets better cuz I really love (some) of the characters and the story line!
Yvensong
Action, comedy, fun characters, fast moving story - all things to add up to some entertaining reading.
Karaoke OK
[Series Length: 14 volumes / Read: volumes 1-4]

NOTE: This is the sequel to the original "Trigun: Deep Space Planet Future Gun Action!" manga and anime series.

(Would you like me to post a short review of this series? Feel free to place a request in my GoodReads InBox. Thanks!)
Deandre Walker
Trigun Maximum is an excellent mix of comedy and action. Along with the excellent artwork. Now that Vash is back on his feet he's the humanoid typhoon once again. Vash is a very unique character in the series because he's always funny,sometimes serious, and he loves donuts.
Dave B.
The first half of this volume is a fantastic story. I really quite like it. The second half isn't the most compelling Trigun story, but it does have some good elements, and it does a good job of further developing the idealist conflict between Vash and Wolfwood.
Kim
Jan 04, 2012 Kim rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Action readers, Gun fight fans, Science Fiction Western fans
Shelves: manga
I love the manga series Trigun! I never was able to watch the anime, so I have no clue how it compared to the manga, but this has comedy, seriousness, gun skills, and a ton of action!
Susan
Sep 23, 2009 Susan rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: scifi
There's some improvement to the storytelling, as far as panel layout goes this time around. The whole wounded-hero-rescued-by-young-girl is a hoary cliche though. YAWN.
Brianna
It's pretty good and funny.i feel kind of lost thought because i think this is the second season of the book, but i am going to keep reading and see what happens next.
Natalie
Sep 02, 2014 Natalie marked it as not-gonna-read
I'm sorry but I didn't much care for Trigun: Deep Space Planet. I have a bunch of other manga on my to-read list. So I'm not going to bother reading it.
Payal
Wow I love action but this one really sucks according to me. The main character is too stupid to be a hero !!! I didn't like this one at all !!!
Racquel Jones
I love the show, but to me it seemed like too much was going on in the manga. Not with the storyline, but with the art.
Emily
I so don't read manga. Ever. And I didn't understand like half of this book....but it was definitely interesting. And funny.
John
May 23, 2009 John rated it 1 of 5 stars
Shelves: manga
I couldn't follow what was happening for pages at a time. There were some cool ideas, but effectively no story.
sara frances
This is another manga series that I've picked up after watching the anime.
Kurt Rocourt
Great series. The manga makes more sense than the anime.
Coco
Vash the Stampede continues to be awesome. (May 2009)
Denisa
Another rating: 10/10 (for whole series!)
Devin A.
Apr 30, 2009 Devin A. is currently reading it
nice gun skillz yo got the ill skillz szohn
  • Cowboy Bebop, Vol. 3
  • Hellsing, Vol. 02 (Hellsing, #2)
  • Cowboy Bebop: Shooting Star, Volume 1 (Cowboy Bebop, Shooting Star, #1)
  • Cowboy Bebop: Shooting Star, Volume 2 (Cowboy Bebop: Shooting Star, #2)
  • Neon Genesis Evangelion, Vol. 01
  • Samurai Deeper Kyo, Volume 01
  • Samurai Champloo, Volume 2
  • Rurouni Kenshin, Vol. 8 (Rurouni Kenshin, #8)
  • Saiyuki, Vol. 1
  • Trinity Blood, Vol. 1
  • Hideyuki Kikuchi's Vampire Hunter D, Volume 01
  • Yu Yu Hakusho (Volume 1: Goodbye, Material World!)
  • Chrono Crusade, Vol. 1 (Chrono Crusade, #1)
  • FLCL, Volume 1 (FLCL, #1)
  • Berserk, Vol. 01
内藤 泰弘. Traditional transliteration would be Yasuhiro Naitou. Author uses "Nightow" for better pronunciation by English natives.
More about Yasuhiro Nightow...
Trigun: Deep Space Planet Future Gun Action!! # 1 (Trigun, #1) Trigun Maximum Volume 2: Death Blue Trigun: Deep Space Planet Future Gun Action!! #2 (Trigun, #2) Trigun Maximum Volume 3: His Life As A ... Trigun Maximum Volume 4: Bottom of the Dark: Bottom of the Dark v. 4