Start by marking “The Thrift Book” as Want to Read:
The Thrift Book

The Thrift Book

The Thrift Book is a guide to how to live well while spending less by bestselling writer India Knight.

Feeling poor because of the credit crunch? Feeling guilty because of global warming? Feeling like you'd like to tighten your belt, but aren't ready to embrace DIY macramé handbags?

No need to panic. Put down the economy mince and buy this book instead - it's a blueprint for
Published November 6th 2008 by Fig Tree

To ask other readers questions about The Thrift Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Thrift Book

Nov 06, 2014 Sarah rated it did not like it
I thought this would be a good book to read to get some ideas at living cheaper as I embark on my new life of living on a narrowboat. Unfortunately, I didn't learn anything new - many of the tips I already do and the rest weren't relevant to me (things to do with childcare, loans, credit cards, houses etc.).

The author makes assumptions that the reader is female and has children - it would have been better if things were sectioned off so you could read the sections relevant to you - but instead
Nikkishell
Jan 20, 2009 Nikkishell rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
A great book about living on less. Even better is that my Wardrobe Refashion website is mentioned in there! :)
Dianne Burton
Apr 13, 2014 Dianne Burton rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book there was a bit of humour in it along with the tips. I would say a lot of the tips I already use but for anyone new to saving money and budgeting it just about covers everything. I would have given it four stars but the author is very preachy in places and given that she is privileged, as she points out, she could have considered some peoples choices are out of necessity. For example, buying clothes for their kids at Primark may be for some people the best they can afford.
NoBeatenPath
Oct 26, 2016 NoBeatenPath rated it liked it
When this book first came out I almost bought it - I had loved Knight's 'The Shops' so thought a book by an author who had previously written about how to spend money, now writing about thrift, would be interesting.
Then I read reviews around the place, and saw the ratings here, and went off the idea. But last weekend I won a copy of this book in a raffle (how thrifty!) so decided to read it. And I am glad I did. Yes, much of this book is pretty obvious if you have not been living a fiscally irre
Annett
Apr 12, 2011 Annett rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Auch wenn man nur einem Abend braucht, um dieses Buch "durchzuarbeiten", erhält man einige spannende Tipps und Ideen rund um die nachhaltigere Nutzung von Produkten und auch Dienstleistungen. Während es vordergründig darum geht, Geld zu sparen, merkt man schnell, dass auch der Gedanke der Nachhaltigkeit, die Schonung von Ressourcen sowie auch faire Arbeitsbedingungen eine Rolle in dem Buch von India Knight spielen. Es geht darum, sorgsamer mit den vorhandenen Dingen umzugehen und sie so weniger ...more
Gail
Aug 03, 2012 Gail rated it really liked it
A fun little book - full of tips on how to live well on less. India Knight emphasises that it's about living well, not about being stingy. Not everything was relevant to me - it depends on your lifestyle and your priorities, so you pick and choose what applies - but there were plenty of tips I found useful. And quite a few things that I do already, which turn out to be really good for you - like massaging one's body with olive oil rather than expensive moisturisers. The aspirin face mask sounded ...more
Heffalumpi
Apr 21, 2011 Heffalumpi rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2011
I picked up this book at the library as had seen it on Amazon but was not sure that it was worth buying - oh the irony.

I did really enjoy the book but it is not one that I would have been pleased to part with money for. The tips in it are all just common sense really although the reason for giving it the higher score is the way in which the book is written. I loved India's descriptive writing which at points I found really funny and all were situations that I could relate to.

Overall a good book
Tammy
Jan 05, 2016 Tammy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, finance
This is a great book if you are earning money but find it hard to make ends meet. I believe if you walk away from a book and learn one thing it was worth your time. I learnt five things Woohoo!

Unfortunately this book is U.K. based and I live in Australia so some of the websites that you are directed to in the book are U.K. related (like cheap places to holiday etc.) I needed to do some research to find similar Australian sites.
Mary Jane
Aug 23, 2010 Mary Jane rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
i really love the thrift book!! its so helpful and interesting! its an amazing introduction to a thrifty way of life, i have encouraged most of the people i know to read it and my fiance really enjoyed it as well, he has took on a few of the ideas in the book as his own now, so the thrift book has entwined itself into our lives effectively,and is extremely helpful. =]
Stephanie
Oct 30, 2010 Stephanie rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
Not just fun to read but also full of genuinely useful suggestions (albeit from the perspective of someone with a much more lush lifestyle than I'm ever likely to have) - and the recipe for a basic Indian vegetarian curry (with many suggestions for huge variations) would have made the whole book worth reading even if that had been the only advantage of it.
Anwen
Jul 04, 2014 Anwen rated it really liked it
Like all books of this type, there will be some that is useful and some that is not - e basic recipes for example I didn't need. It is entertaining to read and does not preach. I was pleasantly surprised as I have not liked other things written by India Knight. An useful addition to my bookshelf and a good miscellany for cutting corners without cutting style.
Michele
Aug 16, 2009 Michele rated it liked it
I've always wondered about India Knight after I first became aware of her in Ruth Picardie's writing.

She writes in a thoroughly entertaining way. I trust that with her advice and that of dear Alvin's I will soon be on my way to financial stability.

It's up to me after all.
Erin
Aug 25, 2013 Erin rated it really liked it
Shelves: frugality
This book is a fun read. It comes from a middle-class perspective (as stated at the beginning of the book) so some of the suggestions aren't for the extremely penny-pinching like myself, but there is something to learn for everyone. Plus Knight's writing style is hysterical.
Kay
Feb 02, 2010 Kay rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
I wasn't very impressed.

The author did list some good ideas but I got turned off by the preachy parts of the book. It's not that I disagreed with what she said, it's just that I don't like being preached at.
Katt
Sep 17, 2014 Katt rated it it was amazing
Brilliant eye-opener on over-spending and shows just how easy it can be to take back control by being thrifty and Environmentally sound. Has opened up the world of thrift to me and I'll be making a lot more of my own cleaning products etc. Well worth the read :) Thoroughly enjoyed it!
Krista
Aug 04, 2014 Krista rated it liked it
I particularly enjoyed the clothing, food and crafting sections. The author's style was enjoyable, chatty, but there was not any ground-breaking ideas on how to be thrifty. Pretty enjoyable all in all and a great selection of internet resources for further study.
Lynne
Jan 20, 2012 Lynne rated it really liked it
Been reading this book for ages. Finally finished it today :)
Kimberly Anderson
Jan 02, 2015 Kimberly Anderson rated it it was ok
Cute read & witty writing style. Learned about India Knight through Sali Hughes' posts/book.
Ariel Silverstein
Aug 25, 2016 Ariel Silverstein rated it really liked it
This book is very helpful! I'd highly recommend it to university students and anyone trying to save some money. The book gives out many useful tips for a thrifty lifestyle!
Lucy
Sep 03, 2009 Lucy rated it really liked it
Made me laugh - the only downside wasit was London focussed and it was obvious that the author wasn't what I would class 'poor'
Andrew
Mar 12, 2009 Andrew rated it really liked it
Wittily written, realistic, direct and fun to read.

This is another one where I thought I'd already know most of the content, but I was pleasantly surprised.
Roisin
Jul 04, 2009 Roisin rated it really liked it
i loved this book!!!

it was so wittily written, and brilliantly human, and taught me so much...

good websites and product recomendations in there as well...
Jongsoon
Jun 07, 2011 Jongsoon rated it really liked it
Highly recommended for women who live or is living in London. I love her style of writing.
Claire
Jun 08, 2009 Claire is currently reading it
Needs must in the current climate! Contains good website recommendations and makes me more determined to do all those things I never got round to eg grow veg, be creative (well there's always hope)
Emily
Jul 06, 2009 Emily rated it really liked it
Shelves: creativity
a fun read, lots of useful information and links to interesting websites.
Dennie
Jan 06, 2014 Dennie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014-reads
yeah it had some good ideas. The only downside was that a lot of it was about London and I live in Scotland. Still glad I read it though.
Joanna
Jul 24, 2013 Joanna rated it really liked it

Had some great tips plus was an entertaining read.
Donna
Jul 09, 2012 Donna rated it really liked it
Funny, entertaining and useful!
Sara
Jan 30, 2013 Sara rated it liked it
Shelves: library
some good tips but a bit middle class and london centric.
Dinks
Oct 06, 2012 Dinks rated it it was amazing
Great tips and ideas for saving money, both cook books she mentioned were fantastic too, bought both!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • City Chic: An Urban Girl's Guide to Livin' Large on Less
  • The Goddess Guide
  • A Year of Doing Good: One Woman, One New Year's Resolution, 365 Good Deeds
  • How to Be a Budget Fashionista: The Ultimate Guide to Looking Fabulous for Less
  • Organizing Magic: 40 Days to a Well-Ordered Home and Life
  • Paperboy
  • Beauty Confidential: The No Preaching, No Lies, Advice-You'll- Actually-Use Guide to Looking Your Best
  • Florence Nightingale: The Making of an Icon
  • Private Battles: Our Intimate Diaries: How The War Almost Defeated Us
  • Get Your Act Together: 7-Day Get-Organized Program For The Overworked, Overbooked, and Overwhelmed, A
  • Get Your Sh!t Together
  • Bluestockings: The Remarkable Story of the First Women to Fight for an Education
  • Style Me Vintage: Hair: Easy Step-by-Step Techniques for Creating Classic Hairstyles
  • Lost London: 1870 - 1945
  • Cherry Bomb: The Ultimate Guide to Becoming a Better Flirt, a Tougher Chick, and a Hotter Girlfriend--and to Living Life Like a Rock Star
  • The Selfish Society: How We All Forgot to Love One Another and Made Money Instead
  • Your Money Or Your Life
  • Making the Cat Laugh
India Knight is a British journalist. Her novels have been translated into 28 languages.

Knight, a native French speaker, lived in Brussels until about the time she turned nine. After migrating to the United Kingdom, she was educated in London. She was awarded an exhibition to Trinity College, Cambridge, where she read Modern Languages from 1984-1987, before starting her career in journalism.

In add
More about India Knight...

“Be realistic with your expectations. I'd really like to cuddle a unicorn, but it aint going to happen.” 15 likes