Start by marking “The Thrift Book” as Want to Read:
The Thrift Book

The Thrift Book

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  178 ratings  ·  33 reviews
The Thrift Book is a guide to how to live well while spending less by bestselling writer India Knight.

Feeling poor because of the credit crunch? Feeling guilty because of global warming? Feeling like you'd like to tighten your belt, but aren't ready to embrace DIY macramé handbags?

No need to panic. Put down the economy mince and buy this book instead - it's a blueprint for
Expected publication: November 6th 2208 by Fig Tree (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Thrift Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Thrift Book

I thought this would be a good book to read to get some ideas at living cheaper as I embark on my new life of living on a narrowboat. Unfortunately, I didn't learn anything new - many of the tips I already do and the rest weren't relevant to me (things to do with childcare, loans, credit cards, houses etc.).

The author makes assumptions that the reader is female and has children - it would have been better if things were sectioned off so you could read the sections relevant to you - but instead
Nikkishell
A great book about living on less. Even better is that my Wardrobe Refashion website is mentioned in there! :)
Dianne Burton
I enjoyed this book there was a bit of humour in it along with the tips. I would say a lot of the tips I already use but for anyone new to saving money and budgeting it just about covers everything. I would have given it four stars but the author is very preachy in places and given that she is privileged, as she points out, she could have considered some peoples choices are out of necessity. For example, buying clothes for their kids at Primark may be for some people the best they can afford.
Annett
Auch wenn man nur einem Abend braucht, um dieses Buch "durchzuarbeiten", erhält man einige spannende Tipps und Ideen rund um die nachhaltigere Nutzung von Produkten und auch Dienstleistungen. Während es vordergründig darum geht, Geld zu sparen, merkt man schnell, dass auch der Gedanke der Nachhaltigkeit, die Schonung von Ressourcen sowie auch faire Arbeitsbedingungen eine Rolle in dem Buch von India Knight spielen. Es geht darum, sorgsamer mit den vorhandenen Dingen umzugehen und sie so weniger ...more
Katt
Brilliant eye-opener on over-spending and shows just how easy it can be to take back control by being thrifty and Environmentally sound. Has opened up the world of thrift to me and I'll be making a lot more of my own cleaning products etc. Well worth the read :) Thoroughly enjoyed it!
Gail
A fun little book - full of tips on how to live well on less. India Knight emphasises that it's about living well, not about being stingy. Not everything was relevant to me - it depends on your lifestyle and your priorities, so you pick and choose what applies - but there were plenty of tips I found useful. And quite a few things that I do already, which turn out to be really good for you - like massaging one's body with olive oil rather than expensive moisturisers. The aspirin face mask sounded ...more
Krista
I particularly enjoyed the clothing, food and crafting sections. The author's style was enjoyable, chatty, but there was not any ground-breaking ideas on how to be thrifty. Pretty enjoyable all in all and a great selection of internet resources for further study.
Heffalumpi
I picked up this book at the library as had seen it on Amazon but was not sure that it was worth buying - oh the irony.

I did really enjoy the book but it is not one that I would have been pleased to part with money for. The tips in it are all just common sense really although the reason for giving it the higher score is the way in which the book is written. I loved India's descriptive writing which at points I found really funny and all were situations that I could relate to.

Overall a good book
Kimberly Anderson
Cute read & witty writing style. Learned about India Knight through Sali Hughes' posts/book.
Cathy
Humorous but no-nonsense. Who knew thriftiness could be this fun?
Annette
Funny little book with a lot of good advice on all kinds of things.
go ahead read it and have a good time.
Mary Jane
i really love the thrift book!! its so helpful and interesting! its an amazing introduction to a thrifty way of life, i have encouraged most of the people i know to read it and my fiance really enjoyed it as well, he has took on a few of the ideas in the book as his own now, so the thrift book has entwined itself into our lives effectively,and is extremely helpful. =]
Anwen
Like all books of this type, there will be some that is useful and some that is not - e basic recipes for example I didn't need. It is entertaining to read and does not preach. I was pleasantly surprised as I have not liked other things written by India Knight. An useful addition to my bookshelf and a good miscellany for cutting corners without cutting style.
Stephanie
Not just fun to read but also full of genuinely useful suggestions (albeit from the perspective of someone with a much more lush lifestyle than I'm ever likely to have) - and the recipe for a basic Indian vegetarian curry (with many suggestions for huge variations) would have made the whole book worth reading even if that had been the only advantage of it.
Dennie
yeah it had some good ideas. The only downside was that a lot of it was about London and I live in Scotland. Still glad I read it though.
Melissa
A cute read with great ideas for thriftier living..
Michele
I've always wondered about India Knight after I first became aware of her in Ruth Picardie's writing.

She writes in a thoroughly entertaining way. I trust that with her advice and that of dear Alvin's I will soon be on my way to financial stability.

It's up to me after all.
Erin
This book is a fun read. It comes from a middle-class perspective (as stated at the beginning of the book) so some of the suggestions aren't for the extremely penny-pinching like myself, but there is something to learn for everyone. Plus Knight's writing style is hysterical.
Kay
I wasn't very impressed.

The author did list some good ideas but I got turned off by the preachy parts of the book. It's not that I disagreed with what she said, it's just that I don't like being preached at.
Andrew
Wittily written, realistic, direct and fun to read.

This is another one where I thought I'd already know most of the content, but I was pleasantly surprised.
Roisin
i loved this book!!!

it was so wittily written, and brilliantly human, and taught me so much...

good websites and product recomendations in there as well...
Sasha
Fun to read, lots of info on how to grow your own veggie garden or sew clothes (well actually lists blogs and websites on various topics)...
Rhi1981
A useful book - it didn't really contain anything new that I haven't already come across, but it makes a handy reference book.
Dinks
Great tips and ideas for saving money, both cook books she mentioned were fantastic too, bought both!
Jongsoon
Highly recommended for women who live or is living in London. I love her style of writing.
Emily
a fun read, lots of useful information and links to interesting websites.
Lynne
Been reading this book for ages. Finally finished it today :)
Joanna

Had some great tips plus was an entertaining read.
Sara
some good tips but a bit middle class and london centric.
Donna
Funny, entertaining and useful!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • City Chic: An Urban Girl's Guide to Livin' Large on Less
  • The Goddess Guide
  • A Year of Doing Good: One Woman, One New Year's Resolution, 365 Good Deeds
  • Get Your Act Together: 7-Day Get-Organized Program For The Overworked, Overbooked, and Overwhelmed, A
  • Florence Nightingale: The Making of an Icon
  • The Wisdom of Donkeys: Finding Tranquility in a Chaotic World
  • The Selfish Society: How We All Forgot to Love One Another and Made Money Instead
  • Overcoming Depression
  • The Children's House of Belsen
  • Prairie Girl: The Life of Laura Ingalls Wilder
  • Bluestockings: The Remarkable Story of the First Women to Fight for an Education
  • Organizing Magic: 40 Days to a Well-Ordered Home and Life
  • Stop the Clock
  • Paperboy
  • Making the Cat Laugh
  • How to Be a Budget Fashionista: The Ultimate Guide to Looking Fabulous for Less
  • As Always, Jack: A Wartime Love Story
  • LIFE One Nation: America Remembers September 11, 2001
India Knight is a British journalist. Her novels have been translated into 28 languages.

Knight, a native French speaker, lived in Brussels until about the time she turned nine. After migrating to the United Kingdom, she was educated in London. She was awarded an exhibition to Trinity College, Cambridge, where she read Modern Languages from 1984-1987, before starting her career in journalism.

In add
More about India Knight...
My Life on a Plate Comfort & Joy Dont You Want Me Mutton Neris and Indias Idiot Proof Diet: From Pig To Twig

“Be realistic with your expectations. I'd really like to cuddle a unicorn, but it aint going to happen.” 9 likes