Start by marking “The Secret Life Of Evie Hamilton” as Want to Read:
The Secret Life Of Evie Hamilton

The Secret Life Of Evie Hamilton

3.6 of 5 stars 3.60  ·  rating details  ·  966 ratings  ·  60 reviews
Evie Hamilton has a secret. One she doesn’t even know about. Yet . . . She's blissfully unaware that her charmed and happy life is about to be turned upside down. And it all begins one sunny, Oxford morning when a letter – a ticking time bomb – lands on Evie’s immaculate doormat. Something she never anticipated threatens to sabotage all that she holds dear. It’s time for h ...more
Published February 1st 2009 by Michael Joseph (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Secret Life Of Evie Hamilton, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Secret Life Of Evie Hamilton

Kate

After the first few chapters I really started to enjoy this book. Evie grew on me. At first I found her to be a bit silly and not really in touch with reality but after I got to know her, I found her to be a really endearing character. She's sweet and more intelligent than she gives herself credit for. She just lacks a bit with the follow through at times.

This story wrapped things up a little too nicely for me. I understand the need to tie up lose ends at the end of the novel but every
Chana
A bit treacly; you know emotionally manipulative, planned tear-jerker, overly sweet, overly long. Too many descriptions of everything; people, relationships, décor.
The premise is that a happily married couple find out that the husband has a daughter from a one night stand with a student while engaged to his wife. Oops. The daughter, who is 17, writes to her father and asks to meet him. The wife, Evie, is angry and heartbroken and wants nothing to do with girl or her mother. But eventually she c
Lara Song
The extremely long drawn out pointless ending cost this a star. As others have said, the title is misleading. I honestly wouldn't have any desire to meet any of these characters in real life. The first chapter was pointless. About halfway through the story, it gets interesting. Unfortunately, there's no character development. What you see in chapter 1 is what you get.

The description is misleading (and completely false) as well. There is nothing strong about Evie. Her self esteem issues cause he
Paula
Val
brilliant, I loved it, so funny in places, will definitely seek out more of her books. I really could identify with Evie, her thoughts and actions are so what I'd do.
Jill
Good read, bit frustrating, I wanted to hit her up side her head at certain moments when she was being completely daft.
Kerryn (RatherBeReading)
I enjoyed this story, i actually found parts of it extremely amusing.

I did have some issues with it however, it was overly long, i don't really feel like this story needed to be over 500 pages.

I felt the story was just tied up a little too nicely at the end which just gave it an unrealistic feel.

Also, i I feel like the title of this book is misleading.. what does this actually have to do with a secret in Evie's life??

Overall this was enjoyable though.
Barbara Elsborg
I've read every book so far by Catherine Alliot and liked some very much indeed and others not so much. This one sits in the middle. I loved parts of it. Laugh out loud humour that actually made me laugh out loud!! But other parts seemed not to fit with that tone. There's a rather serious thread in the story that seemed at odds with the rest.
I always want to love at least one character - nope, couldn't manage it. I felt like throttling the heroine and her husband at times.I liked the gay book st
Tugba
before I started this book,i have assumed that it is a light love book. but after i start i couldnt leave it. I was Evie Hamilton and i felt all of her feelings. it was confusing and a little bit depressing but really great. I wondered every page and when i was angry with her husband i couldnt even see what is coming. You should read it really great book.
Deb
Having long been a Catherine Alliott fan I was looking forward to reading this book. However, while funny in places, it was a disappointment. It was very long and could have been severely edited (in my opinion). I think the problem was the main character just lacked any substance. Although I still shed a tear a the end.
Marisa
Total disappointment, plus I felt it was a knock off of another book I read where the husband a daughter from a previous relationship, but was not aware. Lame in general, the writing style didn't keep me engaged either.
Corinne
Used to love Catherine Alliott about fifteen years ago, but not read anything of hers in ages. This was a thoroughly enjoyable holiday read: not too fluffy, but not too srsbz either.
Badem
Bu kitapta ilerlemek için kendimi çok zorladım. İlk chapter'lar resmen akmıyor, zorla beni okuma bırak diye yalvarıyor adeta. Son 5-6 bölüm sonrası kitap biraz daha eğlenceli oldu ancak. Malesef daha iyi bir sonucu haketmiyor. Daha güzel kitaplar var kendinize bu kitap ile işkence etmeyin. Normalde iki yıldız verecektim ama sırf son bölümün hatrına 3 verdim o derece...
Jo Rothbaum
Took a bit of time to warm to this one but enjoyed it in the end. Evie, frustrated house wife with an idyllic lifestyle, almost famous husband, high achieving daughter and enviable income comes face to face with ghosts from the past. Will she flake or 'woman up' for the challenge.

I love these books as a bit of shameless escapism, brilliant for a summer holiday or snow holiday (where you plan to Apre ski more than be out in it). Evie makes some interesting discoveries about herself and her resou
Nicola
While I found Evie to be quite an annoying character I did enjoy the book. Ant's big secret was probably the best thing that ever happened to the family - although, without giving anything away, I did find the resolution tied up far too neatly and conveniently to be believable. I would much rather have seen some character growth in Eve than an easy out for her to pretend she had matured and accepted things.
I still have very little understanding of why they continually referred to the drowning o
Jen
This book touched me more than I expected; Id anticipated frothy chick-lit in the vein of Sophie Kinsella, but found the plot to be unexpectedly complex. Evie Hamilton lives an idyllic life as the wife of an Oxford don, but her world is turned upside down when a slight mishap from her husbands past comes back to haunt him. It has plenty of juicy twists and turns along the way, but ultimately arriving at a palatable ending. Evie herself borders on the irrational at times, but Im prepared to forgi ...more
Victoria
I loved the story and the characters. A very good book
Paula Sealey
I adore this book! It's my third time of reading it, and I still find it as excellent and well written as I did on my first read.

Evie's character is fantastic, and some of her scenes had me laughing out loud. At the same time, there are very touching moments that put a lump in my throat and bought a tear to my eye. The supporting cast are also fabulous, real and honest, people you could really imagine living on your street.

To my shame, I haven't yet read another Catherine Alliott book, but it is
Natalie
A good bit of chic lit. At times I found Evie incredibly frustrating, but I think that worked well because it helped to show character development. The different plots intertwined well, and were bound together nicely at the end.

My only real problem was that Malcolm seemed to jump back into the book with no reference to the fact that they had remained friends all those years. It was obvious they had from the way they interacted, but it seemed like their ongoing friendship should have been brought
Nina
This book was a good beach read, easy to read but nothing special.
Mobanika
Na Kinsellu sa nechyta, ale pocuvalo sa to dobre. Trochu vaznejsia tema, ale o to realistickejsia. To sa mi prave pacilo, ze cely pribeh bol velmi uveritelny a vztahy a reakcie dost realne.
Abi Holligan
I only gave The Secret Life of Evie Hamilton 2 stars because most of the book was quite boring, i only carried on to the end because i wanted to know what happened with the main storyline (secret) which isn't even Evie's it's her husband Ant's. Most of the book was about horse-riding stuff for her daughter Anna and going to see her sister in law Caro and her brother Tim at the family farmhouse with only a few good bits in between. The last few chapters though were quite good and sometimes funny.
Novi Wijaya
I think the title is a bit misleading, since Evie has no secret life to speak of. I had a notion that the author just liked Sue Monk Kidd's book so much.

The story plot is interesting enough, though the telling of it is slow and bordering on boring for the most part.

It also introduces me to English countryside, horse grooming, and to some British English slangs I wasn't familiar with (trots; or maybe this is just a normal slang that I've never heard of).
Teresa
I really, really enjoyed this book :) Lots of great characters, a plot with twists and turns AND, best of all, the author did NOT get caught up in the usual tropes...I love when characters behave in a believable way, rather than just being forced into stereotypical situations. In one instance, things did get solved a little too easily, but I can forgive the author for that because the rest of the book was so good :)
Flickity_split
Very easy to read, at some times laugh out loud funny, i really enjoyed reading all about the twists and turns in Evies life! And boy did she have a few!!! Not too many to make you confused but just enough to keep the pages turning...! Characters were well written and emotions leapt off the pages... Great to read if you are looking for something light and fun... 5 out of 5 from me!
Julie F
I really liked this book - a lot. How often are you promised a story with some 'laugh out loud' lines only to be disappointed - this author actually made me do that quite few times!! The nicely weaved story line was fulfilling throughout the whole book with no lulls or boring parts. Just enough 'tantalizing' to make you wonder what would happen next. A thoroughly enjoyable read.
Karen
This book is like a breath fresh air. It is warm, funny and has a lovely storyline. The main character Evie is great as she is a bit ditzy, she is married to Ant and they have a daughter Anna. The family side of things really comes through in this book. Evie finds out something from Ants past and could destroy their lives. Very good read and highly recommend it.
Marce
This book was coming along fine, quite funny and for that I could forgive the fact that this author reuses the same phrases too frequently in all her books (for e.g, "needs must", "I licked my lips"). But then when this light romance takes on that serious note (and for those of you who read it you will know what I'm talking about) then I completely lost interest!
Tiina
All in all, this was an interesting story. Stars were lost because the main character's life settled somehow too neatly in the latter part of the book. In the beginning, everything was difficult, but then all of a sudden, everything came together. This did not seem realistic.

But hey, the book reads well and the story is interesting to follow. Good reading!
Kuroko
Just some (quite) good chick-lit. The interesting thing about this book is the setting: not the usual London, but Oxford and the countryside.
  • The Difference a Day Makes
  • A Summer Fling
  • Don't Tell the Groom
  • Diamonds Are A Girl's Best Friend
  • Amy's Honeymoon
Catherine Alliott was born and raised in Hertfordshire. After graduating from Warwick university she moved to London, where she worked as a copywriter in advertising. She now lives with her husband, a barrister, and their three children.
More about Catherine Alliott...
A Crowded Marriage A Rural Affair Olivia's Luck The Old Girl Network One Day In May