Start by marking “The Secret Life Of Evie Hamilton” as Want to Read:
The Secret Life Of Evie Hamilton

The Secret Life Of Evie Hamilton

3.67  ·  Rating Details ·  1,314 Ratings  ·  72 Reviews
Evie Hamilton has a secret. One she doesn’t even know about. Yet . . . She's blissfully unaware that her charmed and happy life is about to be turned upside down. And it all begins one sunny, Oxford morning when a letter – a ticking time bomb – lands on Evie’s immaculate doormat. Something she never anticipated threatens to sabotage all that she holds dear. It’s time for h ...more
Published February 1st 2009 by Michael Joseph (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Secret Life Of Evie Hamilton, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Secret Life Of Evie Hamilton

Nina Draganova
May 06, 2013 Nina Draganova rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: second-reading
12.10.2016
Тази авторка трябва да стане задължителна за четене :)
В това мрачно и студено време, така ме стопли и разсмя.
Само като се сетя за някой откъс от книгата , си се смея сама и то с глас.
Krasimira
Jan 28, 2017 Krasimira rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Chana
A bit treacly; you know emotionally manipulative, planned tear-jerker, overly sweet, overly long. Too many descriptions of everything; people, relationships, décor.
The premise is that a happily married couple find out that the husband has a daughter from a one night stand with a student while engaged to his wife. Oops. The daughter, who is 17, writes to her father and asks to meet him. The wife, Evie, is angry and heartbroken and wants nothing to do with girl or her mother. But eventually she c
Kate

After the first few chapters I really started to enjoy this book. Evie grew on me. At first I found her to be a bit silly and not really in touch with reality but after I got to know her, I found her to be a really endearing character. She's sweet and more intelligent than she gives herself credit for. She just lacks a bit with the follow through at times.

This story wrapped things up a little too nicely for me. I understand the need to tie up lose ends at the end of the novel but every
Paula
Mar 29, 2009 Paula rated it really liked it
Shelves: chick-mom-lit
Jill
Dec 27, 2010 Jill rated it liked it
Shelves: jills-library
Good read, bit frustrating, I wanted to hit her up side her head at certain moments when she was being completely daft.
Val
Apr 30, 2009 Val rated it it was amazing
brilliant, I loved it, so funny in places, will definitely seek out more of her books. I really could identify with Evie, her thoughts and actions are so what I'd do.
Krista Joy
May 24, 2017 Krista Joy rated it liked it
Started out well, dragged in the middle and then wrapped up maybe a bit too perfectly?
Sharon Metcalf
Nov 17, 2015 Sharon Metcalf rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014-2015
I thoroughly enjoyed this book which has been sitting on the shelf tempting me for months now. I've probably picked it up three or four times and then settled on other books so now I've finally read it I'm not the least bit sorry. As always her characters are likeable and real. This one gave the sense that it was going to be one of those infidelity stories and it was such a pleasant surprise when it didn't work out that way. Evie & Ant have been married for 15 or more years and they have a d ...more
Sophie
Mar 01, 2016 Sophie rated it it was ok
Chick lit, and a long one at that (and not worth the length of the book). Think it was 13+hours on CD.

Main character is a woman who is a bit of a klutz and not much self confidence. Goes out with a guy and pressures him in to marriage to keep up with the joneses, or rather,her sister. He doesnt really fit in with the family.

After a loooong time (of listening to the book) a massive bombshell is dropped or at least half the story of the bombshell and the plot develops more. It is dragged out a bit
Sep 20, 2015 Laura rated it really liked it
www.snazzybooks.com

The Secret Life of Evie Hamilton was so much fun! I laughed out loud at Evie's antics countless times; often 'chick-lit' which is supposed to be humorous is actually a bit try hard, or not quite to my humour, but I found this novel really entertaining.

There were some pretty emotional parts to The Secret Life of Evie Hamilton, and the way Alliott blends humour and poignance so seamlessly is a testament to her writing and skill. The characters are just brilliant, some more likea
Lara Song
Jun 12, 2014 Lara Song rated it it was ok
The extremely long drawn out pointless ending cost this a star. As others have said, the title is misleading. I honestly wouldn't have any desire to meet any of these characters in real life. The first chapter was pointless. About halfway through the story, it gets interesting. Unfortunately, there's no character development. What you see in chapter 1 is what you get.

The description is misleading (and completely false) as well. There is nothing strong about Evie. Her self esteem issues cause he
Barbara Elsborg
I've read every book so far by Catherine Alliot and liked some very much indeed and others not so much. This one sits in the middle. I loved parts of it. Laugh out loud humour that actually made me laugh out loud!! But other parts seemed not to fit with that tone. There's a rather serious thread in the story that seemed at odds with the rest.
I always want to love at least one character - nope, couldn't manage it. I felt like throttling the heroine and her husband at times.I liked the gay book st
Annanya Pandey
Dec 07, 2015 Annanya Pandey rated it it was amazing
Evie's life is perfect. She has a daughter Annie and is married to her lover Ant. She loves her life except one day everything goes wrong........She receives a letter from a girl called Stephanie who is supposedly Ant's daughter. They try to ignore it thinking that someone was trying to claim Ant's money as he was a world renowned writer. But soon Ant confesses to Evie saying it could be his child. Evie is filled with dread and wonders whether the mother of Ant's other child is better and more b ...more
Best Crime Books & More
Nov 03, 2015 Best Crime Books & More rated it really liked it
The secret life of Evie Hamilton was a great book that was a refreshing change to the normal thrillers I have been consuming in large numbers recently. Catherine Alliott has created a great character, somebody that isn't perfect and would be an ideal best friend! She is warm and funny yet slightly on the ditzy side. Evie is married to Ant and they have a daughter Anna. The whole family plays a part in this funny story, including Evies sister in Law Caro who is a force to be reckoned with. There ...more
Jo Rothbaum
Jul 28, 2009 Jo Rothbaum rated it liked it
Took a bit of time to warm to this one but enjoyed it in the end. Evie, frustrated house wife with an idyllic lifestyle, almost famous husband, high achieving daughter and enviable income comes face to face with ghosts from the past. Will she flake or 'woman up' for the challenge.

I love these books as a bit of shameless escapism, brilliant for a summer holiday or snow holiday (where you plan to Apre ski more than be out in it). Evie makes some interesting discoveries about herself and her resou
Paula Sealey
Sep 24, 2013 Paula Sealey rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction, favorites
I adore this book! It's my third time of reading it, and I still find it as excellent and well written as I did on my first read.

Evie's character is fantastic, and some of her scenes had me laughing out loud. At the same time, there are very touching moments that put a lump in my throat and bought a tear to my eye. The supporting cast are also fabulous, real and honest, people you could really imagine living on your street.

To my shame, I haven't yet read another Catherine Alliott book, but it is
Nicola
While I found Evie to be quite an annoying character I did enjoy the book. Ant's big secret was probably the best thing that ever happened to the family - although, without giving anything away, I did find the resolution tied up far too neatly and conveniently to be believable. I would much rather have seen some character growth in Eve than an easy out for her to pretend she had matured and accepted things.
I still have very little understanding of why they continually referred to the drowning o
Natalie
Feb 13, 2012 Natalie rated it really liked it
A good bit of chic lit. At times I found Evie incredibly frustrating, but I think that worked well because it helped to show character development. The different plots intertwined well, and were bound together nicely at the end.

My only real problem was that Malcolm seemed to jump back into the book with no reference to the fact that they had remained friends all those years. It was obvious they had from the way they interacted, but it seemed like their ongoing friendship should have been brought
Abi Holligan
Aug 15, 2009 Abi Holligan rated it it was ok
I only gave The Secret Life of Evie Hamilton 2 stars because most of the book was quite boring, i only carried on to the end because i wanted to know what happened with the main storyline (secret) which isn't even Evie's it's her husband Ant's. Most of the book was about horse-riding stuff for her daughter Anna and going to see her sister in law Caro and her brother Tim at the family farmhouse with only a few good bits in between. The last few chapters though were quite good and sometimes funny.
Jen
Nov 01, 2012 Jen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book touched me more than I expected; I�d anticipated frothy chick-lit in the vein of Sophie Kinsella, but found the plot to be unexpectedly complex. Evie Hamilton lives an idyllic life as the wife of an Oxford don, but her world is turned upside down when a slight mishap from her husband�s past comes back to haunt him. It has plenty of juicy twists and turns along the way, but ultimately arriving at a palatable ending. Evie herself borders on the irrational at times, but I�m prepared to fo ...more
Novi Wijaya
Jun 24, 2012 Novi Wijaya rated it it was ok
I think the title is a bit misleading, since Evie has no secret life to speak of. I had a notion that the author just liked Sue Monk Kidd's book so much.

The story plot is interesting enough, though the telling of it is slow and bordering on boring for the most part.

It also introduces me to English countryside, horse grooming, and to some British English slangs I wasn't familiar with (trots; or maybe this is just a normal slang that I've never heard of).
Kerryn (RatherBeReading)
I enjoyed this story, i actually found parts of it extremely amusing.

I did have some issues with it however, it was overly long, i don't really feel like this story needed to be over 500 pages.

I felt the story was just tied up a little too nicely at the end which just gave it an unrealistic feel.

Also, i I feel like the title of this book is misleading.. what does this actually have to do with a secret in Evie's life??

Overall this was enjoyable though.
Teresa
Sep 25, 2011 Teresa rated it really liked it
Shelves: borrowed-books
I really, really enjoyed this book :) Lots of great characters, a plot with twists and turns AND, best of all, the author did NOT get caught up in the usual tropes...I love when characters behave in a believable way, rather than just being forced into stereotypical situations. In one instance, things did get solved a little too easily, but I can forgive the author for that because the rest of the book was so good :)
Tiina
Jan 14, 2013 Tiina rated it liked it
All in all, this was an interesting story. Stars were lost because the main character's life settled somehow too neatly in the latter part of the book. In the beginning, everything was difficult, but then all of a sudden, everything came together. This did not seem realistic.

But hey, the book reads well and the story is interesting to follow. Good reading!
Badem
Apr 26, 2014 Badem rated it liked it
Bu kitapta ilerlemek için kendimi çok zorladım. İlk chapter'lar resmen akmıyor, zorla beni okuma bırak diye yalvarıyor adeta. Son 5-6 bölüm sonrası kitap biraz daha eğlenceli oldu ancak. Malesef daha iyi bir sonucu haketmiyor. Daha güzel kitaplar var kendinize bu kitap ile işkence etmeyin. Normalde iki yıldız verecektim ama sırf son bölümün hatrına 3 verdim o derece...
Olivia
May 23, 2012 Olivia rated it it was ok
I didn't mind this book, but it just never seemed to pick up steam. I found Evie and her dithering a bit grating at times and just never really got to like her. It is well written and well paced and the characters are quite well drawn, but overall the storyline just didn't grab me. Worth a read if you're into chick lit.
Julie F
Dec 03, 2013 Julie F rated it really liked it
I really liked this book - a lot. How often are you promised a story with some 'laugh out loud' lines only to be disappointed - this author actually made me do that quite few times!! The nicely weaved story line was fulfilling throughout the whole book with no lulls or boring parts. Just enough 'tantalizing' to make you wonder what would happen next. A thoroughly enjoyable read.
Deb
Apr 16, 2015 Deb rated it it was ok
Having long been a Catherine Alliott fan I was looking forward to reading this book. However, while funny in places, it was a disappointment. It was very long and could have been severely edited (in my opinion). I think the problem was the main character just lacked any substance. Although I still shed a tear a the end.
Tugba
Aug 29, 2014 Tugba rated it really liked it
before I started this book,i have assumed that it is a light love book. but after i start i couldnt leave it. I was Evie Hamilton and i felt all of her feelings. it was confusing and a little bit depressing but really great. I wondered every page and when i was angry with her husband i couldnt even see what is coming. You should read it really great book.
  • It's the Little Things
  • Happy Ever After
  • The Difference a Day Makes
  • Someone Special
  • The Inheritance (Swell Valley #1)
  • Perfectly Correct
  • A Summer Fling
  • A Vintage Wedding
  • Keeping It In The Family
  • Amy's Honeymoon
  • School for Husbands
  • The Simple Rules of Love
  • Country Pursuits (Churchminster #1)
  • Diamonds Are A Girl's Best Friend
  • Making Hay (Honeycote, #2)
  • A Bachelor Establishment
  • Two's Company
Catherine Alliott was born and raised in Hertfordshire. After graduating from Warwick university she moved to London, where she worked as a copywriter in advertising. She now lives with her husband, a barrister, and their three children.
More about Catherine Alliott...