Start by marking “Fruits Basket, Vol. 1” as Want to Read:
Fruits Basket, Vol. 1

Fruits Basket, Vol. 1 (Fruits Basket #1)

4.23  ·  Rating Details ·  116,964 Ratings  ·  1,524 Reviews
The enigmatic Sohma family shares a great secret--they are possessed by the spirits of the Chinese zodiac. When Tohru Honda, an orphaned high school freshman, is given lodging in the Sohma household, they realize what a blessing she is in their lives.
Published February 28th 2004 by Sagebrush (first published January 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Fruits Basket, Vol. 1, please sign up.

Angela The books are AMAZING!!! they have much more detail than the anime. I recommend you to read it.

Kat (Lost in Neverland)

I just have one thing to say;

description
Christina (A Reader of Fictions)
Fruits Basket is probably my very favorite manga that I have read to date. Now, I wholeheartedly admit that the premise is weird and unlikely, but, hey, it's fantasy. Anyway, if you can get past the initial outlandishness, you discover a story full of heart and darkness. This is my fourth or fifth time through the series, and I just love it more every time.

Having read through a few reviews on Goodreads, I know that this series, and the character of Tohru especially, gets a lot of flak for being
Jenny
This really was an adorable book! I hadn't read manga before this one, and I only picked this up based on some of my friends' reviews with no expectations. But it really didn't disappoint! I fell in love with the characters and the story from the beginning.

-There's Tohru, who is very cute, but also awkward with a lot of things, and that resulted into some very hilarious moments. And if there are guys like Kyo and Yuki, I don't need anything else!

-There's a secret of Sohma family, in which the
Demo
Has anyone else noticed how the characters grew up over the path of the series? Namely Kyo, Yuki, and Momiji. They look almost completely different by the end of the series compared to how they did in the beginning. Especially Kyo (who looks alarmingly like Tohru's dad). I mean look at this:

Kyo in the beginning:

Kyo towards the end:

Yuki in the beginning:

(he kind of looks like a female alien)

Yuki towards the end:

Momiji in the beginning:

(d'aaaawww)

MOMIJI NOW OMG WHAT THE FUCK:

Touru in the beginning
Steph Sinclair

I LOVE this series. It's really cute! This was one of the first manga series I've read. I own a few of them. As always, I won't add all of the books to my self. Way too many.
Rita
Initial thoughts:

1. I felt so nostalgic reading this manga again!
2. Toru is such an adorable, although naive, character. Love her!
3. Shigure and also Hanajima and Uotani are hilarious!
4. The fights between Yuki and Kyo seem to never end.
5. Amazing artwork!

Check out my full review on my blog!
Regan
Jan 17, 2014 Regan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Total impulse read! 4.5

I really just felt like continuing this story! I watched the anime about 5 years ago now, and the ending is still bothering me, and I just need to know what is going to happen next!

Cute, funny, typical rom com anime/manga. However, I hear it gets darker, which should be interesting.
Kᴇᴇ Queen
Jun 04, 2016 Kᴇᴇ Queen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
[This review only covers volumes 1-12]

It was last year when I realized that I am so done with shoujo manga stories (especially in a school setting). It wasn't as if it was a constant presence in my life growing up or anything, but after a while I realized that its formulaic sweetness and often predictable climactic moments just doesn't appeal to me anymore.

In fact, there are only three shoujo manga stories I was really into and two of them were adapted to anime which I preferred (Ouran Kouko
Theresa ♫
Aug 22, 2011 Theresa ♫ rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fellow humans who wanna know how to live
ALRIGHT! I am redoing this review!
I wrote a review for this long, long ago, but I really want to redo it, mostly because . . . . . . . I'm trying to read the whole series again.
It's just that I watched the whole series of the ANIME, and

1. They don't show all of the characters.
2. Anime is WAY WAY SHORTER than the manga.
3. I just WANT TO KNOW WHAT COMES NEXT!

I forgot most of the story . . . I only know up to the point where the anime stopped, but I just want to know MORE. Besides, the first time r
Inés Izal
May 29, 2017 Inés Izal rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mangas, 2017
¿POR QUÉ NADIE ME HABLÓ DE ESTE MANGA?
Yesy (The Book Vagrant)
Rereading this old favorite. I love it so much!
Anna
Jul 08, 2011 Anna rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of Twilight or other romantic swill
Recommended to Anna by: my friend Dyani
I know I am writing this as the minority point of view, but I hated Fruits Basket. At first, I found it mildly dull, but as the story failed to progress interestingly, I found myself grinding my teethe waiting for the plot to pick up. It's about a cloyingly sweet, kind, selfless, gentle, beautiful high school girl named Tohru Honda. She lives in a tent in the woods (really, Takaya?) because her grandfather can't keep her and her mother died. Sweet, innocent Tohru is wrought with guilt because sh ...more
Cath
Jun 19, 2015 Cath rated it it was amazing
5/5 Stars.
This was a reread for me and it was just as good as the first time I read it!
I love this story so much, it melts my heart.
A great introduction to manga in my opinion.
Ferdy
Mar 16, 2013 Ferdy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga, fun
Spoilers

This is the second manga I've read, the first being Deathnote. I didn't enjoy this quite as much as Deathnote but it was still pretty brilliant.
I found the premise a little odd but not in a bad way. The heroine, Tohru, lives in a tent (her mum died and her granddad sort of threw her out)… She doesn't want to be a burden on anyone so she works hard supporting herself and keeps all her misery to herself. Yes, she's a huge Mary Sue. Anyway, Tohru finds out that her tent is on Sohma grounds…
Mebarka Fekih
Oct 06, 2016 Mebarka Fekih rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
“Just be yourself and you'll be fine”

Such a refreshing adorable book! As i said before this is my first manga read experience and it was So much Fun, and I only picked this up because i don't have so time to read (am working on my magister thesis) so I've been looking for something light ,then i came across the first dubbed episode of this baby and you know what it was HILARIOUS .

“My Darlin'
My SHIRT!”

From the first moment I fell in love with the design ,characters and the story .

So let's star
Shep
Oct 24, 2010 Shep rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
**Review for the entire series**

This is the first manga series I ever read. I spotted the first book randomly in a small bookshop on Balboa Island, a charming little place that I can never get enough of.

Something about the book drew me to it, but I can't exactly say what. Looking at the book description now, you probably think it's a little ridiculous. What? When they're hugged by the opposite gender they turn into ANIMALS???

I know, I know. But believe me when I tell you this entire series (yes
The Crimson Fucker
The F Twins gave this one 5 stars!
My little sister gave it 5 stars too!
Noran dropped another 5 star on it also!

Why I don’t like it then!!!? WHY!!!!? This don’t make sense!!! It even has cats! Well one cat! And some of the characters remind me of goodreaders! like Tohru at the beginning living in her tent… in the woods! That’s totally K.I. Hope!!! She is all sad… because she lives in the woods! Then there are the side “random blah blah blah” that sounds just like Sam “Black Velvet”* I swear! And
Nicole K.
Jan 15, 2013 Nicole K. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my friends introduced me to the world of manga, and this story in particular. (And I'm so thankful that I cannot express it in words, only sounds that would more than likely scare people.)

If you're even wondering about this, I suggest you let your mind wonder and wander until you finally give in. If this doesn't change your life, I'll judge you harshly. Ha.

(No, but really...)

I'm rereading this series for the third time, and I love it just as much as the first. As far as mangas go (and sto
Ashley
Jan 27, 2016 Ashley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Update: Here's my full review! http://www.bookishrealmreviews.com/20...

This was so freaking cute! I absolutely loved how the Chinese Zodiac has been incorporated into the main storyline. It was a light read and easy to get through. I think what was most interesting was the manner in which the Sohma boys all have different personalities based on their Zodiac affiliation. Tohru is amazingly cute. She's just a bundle of sweetness and I think she's going to end up being a really good fit for the fam
~W㊉NÐERGIRL~
~W㊉NÐERGIRL~ rated it really liked it
Jul 26, 2013
Damar hening Sunyiaji
The best shoujo manga ever!
Saya punya anime nya di laptop komplit dua puluh enam episode. Suka sekali dengan theme song pembuka dan penutupnya.
Honda tohru, seorang yatim piatu yang terpaksa harus mandiri setelah ditinggal ibunya wafat dan kediaman kakeknya direnovasi sehingga tohru disuruh menginap di rumah teman. Tohru justru tinggal di tenda di hutan. Aneh memang, tapi tohru yang naif polos dan lugu menurut saya wajar. Orang jepan tahu kok caranya membuat cerita terasa natural, karakter yang k
Myste
Sep 06, 2012 Myste rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I don't care who you are, male or female, whatever age, into manga or not, this series is WELL worth the read. My favorite manga of all time, untouchable, I cannot even begin to explain the magic of these books. The characters are the most lovable and relatable I have ever EVER come across. The depth of their individual personalities cannot even begin to be described in words. Natsuki Takaya created a world so believable despite its unrealistic and comedic foundation, I'm nearly convinced that i ...more
Linda Abhors the New GR Design
I bought this as a gift for a friend's son, he's into manga.
I think manga's not for me. It took more than a few pages to get into the "from right to left" bit, because you also have to deal with the "upper/lower", and I'm not sure this one works consistently in that sense. The translation is weird, and the story line takes major leaps........there's a whole backstory which goes ignored for the first chapter, then they give it to you, and the story makes a huge leap forward in the next three pag
Sarah Churchill
Fun. Cute. Innocent. All of those things. But there's also an underlying wit that shows through sometimes, and maybe even a complexity to some of the characters that is yet to be revealed. Now if I could just remember their names...
Jenn
This was adorably cute. Definitely made me want to read the rest of them :)
Tatiana
Jul 23, 2011 Tatiana marked it as abandoned  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Tatiana by: Crowinator
Shelves: ya, graphic-novels
Manga is definitely not my thing. Couldn't understand it at all. Sorry, my manga-loving friends, I tried:(
Hannah Heath
Mar 04, 2016 Hannah Heath rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga
This manga is adorable. So much cuteness and hilarity.
Cécile
Sep 23, 2015 Cécile rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quel plaisir de retrouver ce manga, ces personnages, et Kyooooooo ! :-) <3
Rain Misoa
Jun 05, 2011 Rain Misoa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: EVERYONE! Shoujo fans and people who love awesome characters.... and animals!
Recommended to Rain by: Nicole Terazue
Shelves: manga
First, let me start off by saying I love this manga! Fruits Basket is one of the best shoujo manga ever created and that's saying something coming from me! I actually hate shoujo. I'm not really into girly things and a lot of shoujo manga just bore me to tears because most of the "drama" is mediocre things that I couldn't care less about. It's much the same with chick lit; nothing but boy problems and how to look pretty. However, this manga is nothing like that. It actually has real life problem ...more
Shoujo Manga Book...: Fruits Basket Entire Series 4 32 Mar 16, 2017 02:12PM
Kyo or Yuki? Whose your favourite? 213 345 Jan 12, 2017 06:54PM
Help!! I Need A New Animé! 13 32 Jul 04, 2015 06:33PM
Roleplay Central~: Character sign-up 122 89 Jun 26, 2015 11:58AM
What is Your Zodiac Animal? 282 344 Jun 24, 2015 09:30AM
Kyo or Yuki 46 112 Apr 26, 2015 11:39AM
  • Ouran High School Host Club, Vol. 5 (Ouran High School Host Club, #5)
  • MeruPuri, Vol. 2 (MeruPuri, #2)
  • Hana-Kimi, Vol. 4 (Hana-Kimi, #4)
  • Full Moon O Sagashite, Vol. 3
  • Fushigi Yûgi: The Mysterious Play, Vol. 9: Lover
  • Skip Beat!, Vol. 12
Natsuki Takaya (高屋 奈月 Takaya Natsuki, real name Naka Hatake) is the penname of a Japanese manga artist best-known for creating the series Fruits Basket. She was born on July 7, 1973; (Tanabata). Takaya is left-handed and once revealed that she wanted to be a mangaka since first grade, when her sister started drawing.

She was born in Shizuoka, Japan, but was raised in Tokyo, where she made her debu
More about Natsuki Takaya...

Fruits Basket (1 - 10 of 23 books)
  • Fruits Basket, Vol. 2
  • Fruits Basket, Vol. 9
  • Fruits Basket, Vol. 10
  • Fruits Basket, Vol. 11

“Just be yourself and you'll be fine” 203 likes
“Shigure: "Lemme guess; you lost your temper and yelled at her again, right? You know, you shouldn't do that if you're just going to regret it. Not too bright, now is it?"
Kyo: "Save your breath. I'm just not meant to get along with other people. Period. End of story."
Shigure: "Oh sure, some people just aren't. But you're not one of them. You lack experience, that's all. For example, I'm sure you could smash this table to bits with your bare hands. But I'm equally sure you could punch the table without breaking it. And why is that? Because I know your training has taught you to control your fists... at least I should hope so, after four months of fighting bears and-"
Kyo: "I didn't fight bears!"
Shigure: "My point is, it takes just as much training to get along with people. Only, training by yourself in the mountains won't do you any good. You need to surround yourself with others. As you get to know them, of course you take the chance that you'll end up hurting them, or they'll end up hurting you. One of those things might very well happen. That's the only way we learn... about others, and about ourselves. You're a black-belt in martial arts, but I'd guess you still a white-belt in social skills. Someday, you're going to meet someone that truly wants to be your friend, and you, theirs. But it if you don't keep training, you won't be ready when that happens."
Kyo: "It'll never happen, anyways!"
Shigure: "Uh-uh! Never say never."
Kyo: "Ok, fine. Maybe if I meet someone with brain-damage... or something."
Shigure: "That's the spirit!”
170 likes