Love Thy Neighbor: The Tory Diary of Prudence Emerson, Greenmarsh, Massachusetts, 1774 (Dear America)

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  511 ratings  ·  28 reviews

In Greenmarsh, Massachusetts, in 1774, thirteen-year-old Prudence keeps a diary of the troubles she and her family face as Tories surrounded by American patriots at the start of the American Revolution.

Published April 1st 2003 by Scholastic Inc.

Voyage on the Great Titanic by Ellen Emerson WhiteAcross The Wide And Lonesome Prairie by Kristiana GregoryStanding in the Light by Mary Pope OsborneThe Winter of Red Snow by Kristiana GregoryA Coal Miner's Bride by Susan Campbell Bartoletti
Dear America Series
36th out of 42 books — 167 voters
Marie Antoinette by Kathryn LaskyCleopatra VII by Kristiana GregoryAnastasia by Carolyn MeyerElizabeth I by Kathryn LaskyVoyage on the Great Titanic by Ellen Emerson White
Our favorite diary books
44th out of 173 books — 80 voters

More lists with this book...

Alexa
I really liked Prudence and her family. They were so sweet, and, though this is a historical novel, they felt real. Relatable. Plus Pru and her questions about the world kinda reminded me of me.

Another thing I really liked about this book is that Pru and her family are Loyalists or "Tories." It's extremely rare that you get to read anything about the Revolutionary War from their side, particularly if you live in America (which I do). As my Mom likes to say, "He who wins the war, writes the histo...more
Rebecca
Prudence Emerson is a thirteen-year-old girl living in the small town of Green Marsh, Massachusetts, in 1774. Her family had always been welcome there, but now, with whispers of a possible revolution against the rule of the British king, things are changing. The Emersons are Loyalists, while most of the townspeople, including the family of Prudence's best friend Abigail, are Patriots. Their troubles start when business at the Emersons' store begins to dwindle, and things become steadily worse. T...more
Megan Marie
caitysreadviews
Courtesy of Caity's Readviews:

In this unique Dear America diary, author Ann Turner tells the Revolutionary War era story from a Tory’s point of view: that is, from the point of view of a girl and her family who did not want to secede from England and were perfectly happy living under the King’s reign. These people are often viewed as traitors to the American cause, but in fact made up a fair part of the colonists, and were mostly good, average people just like anyone else. Because they did not s...more
Ana Mardoll
Love Thy Neighbor / 0-439-15308-5

When I saw that "Love Thy Neighbor" was out of print, I was a little concerned that the writing quality might not be as high as usual for the Dear America series, but it seems that I need not have worried. Indeed, if there is a reason for the book being out of print now, I suspect it is because most Americans would prefer to hear about the Patriot side of the revolutionary war rather than the Tory side. But "Love Thy Neighbor" is less concerned with presenting th...more
Glen R.
This from the Dear America Series. Prudence is a thirteen-year-old girl in a fictional town called Green Marsh MA in 1774/1775. Her family are proud Tories, so they persecuted by the Patriots. As the persecution ramps up, they first move to Boston where they hoped to be protected by General Gage’s army. The Tories were not just rich partisans, but most were regular people who found themselves in conflict with those who wanted to separate from England and the King. It is an interesting book, well...more
Jeni Enjaian
A review from my old blog...

I keep gaining a new sense of satisfaction when I open a new Dear America book.

This book is written from the perspective a young girl growing up in a Tory family during the height of the anti-British fervor. I've never thought about what that perspective would be. I've always grown up thinking that the Patriots were right and the Tories were just sticks in the mud.

The more I read out of Pru's journal, the more I realized that my family, had we been in America at that...more
Julie
I picked this up for my oldest daughter to get a different perspective of the American Revolution. I just randomly saw it at the library and naively thought it was an actual diary. On reading the first entry I realized it was fiction and was slightly disappointed. Once I got over that, I realized that it was perfect for helping my 12 year old learn a little about how it might have been for a young Tory growing up at the start of the war.
Ash E.
Jan 29, 2011 Ash E. rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: young historical fiction readers
Recommended to Ash by: Cori Johnson
Shelves: review-complete
REVIEW COMPLETE

The Dear America books are easily-accessible historical fiction for young readers, especially girls (the My Name is America books, I've been told, are very similar, only for boys).

Love Thy Neighbor tells the social story behind the Revolutionary War - in other words, the effects the war had on the everyday life of Americans, specifically those dwelling in Greenmarsh, Massachusetts - from the perspective of young Prudence Emerson. Young readers will be amazed at how this series mak...more
The other John
This book, one of the Dear America series, is set in the months just before the start of the Revolutionary War. It's the story of a thirteen-year-old girl, Prudence Emerson, who lives in a small Massachusetts town. She and her family are Tories--people who remained loyal to King George III when the majority of Americans sought independence. The story is one of sadness and anxiety as politics turn friends and neighbors into strangers and persecutors. I don't know why I found the book so fascinati...more
Allyson
I loved this book because it was fast to read and it was in diary form, Which I love. i do not like reading descriptions of houses or lands ect. I just want to know the event and the story and then I can imagine a house and area as I like it to be.
It was a good prespective on the Tories. It is true you learn little about them and it is pretty much not possitive. But really our heros in the revolution where radical people and NOT conservatives. I feel like many people today think of the Tories as...more
Renae
I have a soft spot for the Dear America diaries. They're fast reads, and I find myself learning interesting things in some cases.

This one is unique because it's not a side you hear much about: the Tory (loyalist) side prior to the American Revolution. I like "stories untold," so to speak, so this one appealed to me. Goodness knows it was hard enough to get my hands on. Some of these titles are all over the place--the civil war titles in particular--but this one was very hard to find.

Worth the...more
Diana
I really enjoyed this story from the Dear America series. It was interesting to read about the lead up to the American Revolution from a Loyalist standpoint. Most of the books of the era are told from the Revolutionary's point of view, and not many American's realize how many people were still loyal to King and Country here in the colonies. I really recommend this one.
Lovelylady1994
I first discovered this book when I found it on my kitchen table one morning. My daddy had left it for me, with a note attached- I still keep it inside the front cover. He thought I would like it, since we live in Mass, and I've always been thoroughly entranced by local history. It was delightful to read then, and I still really enjoy looking through it. Turner does an excellent job of piecing together the potential life of a Tory girl living in Revolutionary War-era Massachusetts.
Molly
This entire series is a wonderful way to learn history or teach it to adolescents. I find today's generations seem to recall more when they learn through other people (pop songs, celebrity gossip, etc.), so what better way to teach history than through someone else's perspective? Yes, "authentic" diaries would be "better", but would the language really hold the modern student's attention? Did the diary writer know what WOULD be important in the context of history? Probably not.
Amanda
This book was great. It shows you someone elses point of view instead of the patriots point of view all the time.

I Love this book it is the best! I read this book in fifth grade, I absolutely loved it. I want to reread it but have not found it since I read it in fifth grade. I recommend it to everyone that is in fifth grade or higher. That’s all for now.
Liz Michalski
After listening to the audio version of Johnny Tremain, we were looking for something that told the Tory side of the Revolutionary War. My daughter brought this home from the school library and it was perfect. Sympathetic characters, historic detail, and a careful look at how politics can tear friends and family apart.
Rebecca
Interesting story. I kept thinking if I were in that time I would have been on the opposite side of politics from her and I can only hope that I would have had more integrity than to segregrate them. It made me think of the mormon pioneers. Interesting story from the other point of view.
Gina
Although I was intrigued by the "untold story" of a Tory girl, something I knew very little about, I found the book dragged a bit. The epilogue's conclusion wasn't very satisfying either. Too bad, Dear America books usually always leave an impression upon me. This one...not that much.
Alyssa Greatbanks
This goes along with another book in the series, a Winter of Red Snow. And it really shows how people can turn on you for one simple little thing. If you read a Winter of Red Snow, this is a good one to read as well to see both sides of the same event.
Angela
Mar 07, 2013 Angela rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Girls 8+
It was very interesting to take a look at Revolutionary America through a Tory girl's eyes. Through her hopes and fears, Prudence, or "Pru" for short, tries to love her Patriot neighbors, although they don't often love her back.
Meghan
The book was great until the end when things started making less sense for me. I didn't care much for the epilogue. I am glad that there is a Tory Dear America because that side is usually ignored.
I really enjoyed this diary-type little book written from the perspective of a young Tory girl during the Revolutionary War. Sweet and satisfying.
Michelle taylor
a teen read, 12 and up even. very good, loved the dear america books. it really did get me into writing in a diary.
you don't really get the perspective of a loyalist on the revolutionary war that often.
Bethany
Another diary in the Dear america family
Anna Dingman
I enjoyed looking at this period at a new angle.
Emily
My favorite Dear America
Whitney
I love all these books :)
Malorie
I love these books.
  • All the Stars in the Sky: The Santa Fe Trail Diary of Florrie Mack Ryder, the Santa Fe Trail, 1848 (Dear America)
  • Look to the Hills: The Diary of Lozette Moreau, a French Slave Girl, New York Colony, 1763 (Dear America Series)
  • Survival in the Storm: The Dust Bowl Diary of Grace Edwards, Dalhart, Texas, 1935 (Dear America)
  • Where Have All the Flowers Gone?: The Diary of Molly MacKenzie Flaherty, Boston, Massachusetts, 1968 (Dear America)
  • Cannons at Dawn: The Second Diary of Abigail Jane Stewart, Valley Forge, Pennsylvania, 1779 (Dear America)
  • Dear America, Hear My Sorrow: The Diary of Angela Denoto, a Shirtwaist Worker, New York City 1909 (Dear America Series)
  • Land of the Buffalo Bones: The Diary of Mary Ann Elizabeth Rodgers, An English Girl in Minnesota, New Yeovil, Minnesota 1873 (Dear America Series)
  • Valley of the Moon: The Diary of María Rosalia de Milagros, Sonoma Valley, Alta Valley, California, 1846, (Dear America)
  • My Face to the Wind: The Diary of Sarah Jane Price, a Prairie Teacher, Broken Bow, Nebraska, 1881, (Dear America)
  • Mirror, Mirror on the Wall: The Diary of Bess Brennan, The Perkins School for the Blind, 1932 (Dear America)
  • When Christmas Comes Again: The World War I Diary of Simone Spencer, New York City to the Western Front, 1917 (Dear America Series)
  • A Time For Courage: The Suffragette Diary of Kathleen Bowen, Washington D.C., 1917 (Dear America)
  • I Walk in Dread: The Diary of Deliverance Trembley, Witness to the Salem Witch Trials, Massachusetts Bay Colony, 1691
  • A Coal Miner's Bride: The Diary of Anetka Kaminska, Lattimer, Pennsylvania, 1896 (Dear America)
  • My Secret War: The World War II Diary of Madeline Beck, Long Island, New York 1941 (Dear America)
  • With the Might of Angels: The Diary of Dawnie Rae Johnson, Hadley, Virginia, 1954
  • The Fences Between Us: The Diary of Piper Davis, Seattle, Washington, 1941 (Dear America)
  • Like the Willow Tree: The Diary of Lydia Amelia Pierce, Portland, Maine, 1918
Ann Warren Turner is a children's author and a poet.
Ann Turner wrote her first story when she was eight years old. It was about a dragon and a dwarf named Puckity. She still uses that story when she talks to students about writing, to show them that they too have stories worth telling.
Turner has always loved to write, but at first she was afraid she couldn't make a living doing it. So she trained...more
More about Ann Turner...
The Girl Who Chased Away Sorrow: The Diary of Sarah Nita, a Navajo Girl, New Mexico, 1864 (Dear America) Learning to Swim Father of Lies Hard Hit Pumpkin Cat