Pagan Visions for a Sustainable Future

Pagan Visions for a Sustainable Future

4.02 of 5 stars 4.02  ·  rating details  ·  65 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Presents a collection of writings through which eleven activists, authors, and academics debate critical issues facing modern pagans. Original.
Published September 8th 2005 by Llewellyn Publications (first published September 1st 2005)

Ly Angeles
Aug 10, 2012 Ly Angeles rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)
This book, edited by Thom van Dooren, Emma Restall-Orr and I was written to fulfil a gap in the pagan community that is not represented seriously on a world stage. Not all of the commentaries are in agreement but to have a voice is better than silence.

If I was to involve myself in a future work like this there would be louder voices. I am in love with Bolivia and Iceland and the moves they have made at cutting the threads of avarice that are strangling freedom.

The essay I wrote is called "What...more
Tommy /|\
An interesting book of essays, focusing on questions relating to Paganism, animism, environmental concerns/causes, and a response to anthropocentrism. While I did not find a lot to relate to in most of the essays, there were a few stellar standouts for me:

"The Ethics of Paganism: The Value and Power of Sacred Relationship" by Emma Restall Orr
"Of Worms, Snakes, and Dragons: Can Magic Lead to an Ecological Worldview?" by Dr. Susan Greenwood
"I am the Mountain Walking: Wombats in the Greenwood" by D...more
Eli
Oct 14, 2008 Eli rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Pagans, environmentalists, people who live on this planet
Recommended to Eli by: Eye of Horus
A deep, thought-provoking, often ire-provoking read. The early essays I found myself disagreeing with quite often, but disagreeing in ways that made me think and question why they incited such strong reactions. Even when I was in disagreement with the authors, their words encouraged me to go deeper than the knee-jerk "You're wrong!" reaction. The later essays were much more my cup of tea, and even that prompted me to examine my worldview and ask "why." What I love is how many of these Pagan auth...more
Elspeth
An excellent collection of essays - solid, inspiring and thoughtful. As Ronald Hutton says the writers are established within their field and the book looks at central questions about the relationships between religion, ethics and politics. Very readable but a much needed, more "academic" take than many of the popular books on Pagan spirituality.This isn't an introductory text. It's one of the best books on Pagan spirituality I have read.
Dawn Betts-Green
"We make jokes about..."superstar Pagans" and "cash-register Druids," and all the while these people are becoming more and more common...What is so significant about these people is that they are coming to define what Paganism is...to a public that is greedy for anything even slightly sensational."--Thom van Dooren

Awesome sentiment...too bad the book itself did not live up to his supposed ideals.
Jennifer Rolfe
I saw that Emma Restall Orr had a segment in this book so bought it based on that as I really love her writing. BUT I was really impressed with the other writers. Some really important points were raised and I am really pondering many issues around ecology and the way I live my life. Great one.
Heather
I'm reading this now. And all I can really say is Wow. The ideas contained in this book really have stretched my thinking about humanity's role in the world. Where it has not stretched my thinking, it serves to clarify.
Ashley Howd
Some articles were amazing! And some were ready kinda hard to read. All were thought provoking and worth the effort to at least attempt reading them. An excellent book to read outside on a nice day!
Mia McInnis
I adored the insights that this book gave to me. Not only did it speak to my mind, it also spoke to my heart. A definite read for anyone trying to connect with the Earth as a whole.
Vance
Great collection of essays and thoughts on environmental issues and sustainable technology and ecology by some of the more well known Pagans today.
John Oxoheartsvoken
Difficult to read. Complex and and deep, but some of the most interesting and profound ideas I have read lately.
Jay Conner
A very hard read. My eyes glazed over..... a lot. A collection of essays.
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2014
Marcy
Marcy marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2014
Johanna Lawson
Johanna Lawson marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2014
Briarwolf  Baby
Briarwolf Baby marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2014
Erica Heath
Erica Heath is currently reading it
Jun 17, 2014
Michelle
Michelle is currently reading it
May 07, 2014
Porsha
Porsha marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2014
Shannon
Shannon marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2014
Tasha
Tasha marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2014
Maryann Mosier
Maryann Mosier marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2014
Rose
Rose is currently reading it
Jan 12, 2014
Kendall Mitchell
Kendall Mitchell is currently reading it
Dec 26, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Well. . . I write. My bio is rather long and can be viewed on my website and, if I live long enough, it'll be in print in my newest project "Bednobs and Bastards, Memoirs of a Witch Queen." Yes, I've finally started it x
More about Ly de Angeles...
Witchcraft: Theory and Practice The Quickening Tarot Theory & Practice: A Revolutionary Approach to How the Tarot Works The Shining Isle: An Urban Fantasy The Feast of Flesh and Spirit