Start by marking “The Rose of Shanhasson (Blood and Shadows, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Rose of Shanhasson (Blood and Shadows, #1)

The Rose of Shanhasson (Blood and Shadows #1)

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  115 ratings  ·  20 reviews
Shannari is destined to unite the Green Lands.All she has to do is survive a battle with a barbarian, marry the barbarian, escape the very sexy barbarian and his elite warrior band, kill her former fiance,and make it home in one piece. The men in Shannari's life don't take no for an answer easily, and she's definitely worth fighting for. She doesn't believe in love with go ...more
Published (first published March 9th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Rose of Shanhasson, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Rose of Shanhasson

Beyond Eden by Kele MoonThe Reluctant Dom by Tymber DaltonA Table for Three by Lainey ReeseMake Me, Sir by Cherise SinclairWicked Ties by Shayla Black
Best BDSM Menage
62nd out of 224 books — 261 voters
The Golden Dynasty by Kristen AshleyWarprize by Elizabeth VaughanWarlord by Elizabeth VaughanWarsworn by Elizabeth VaughanWarcry by Elizabeth Vaughan
Barbarian Romance Novels
41st out of 58 books — 142 voters

More lists with this book...

Bookaholics
The Rose of Shanhasson by Joely Sue Burkhart
Paranormal Romance – November 1st, 2009
4 1/2 stars

The Rose of Shanhasson enthralled me with its lush imagery and vivid characters. I felt as if I had been swept away into a world that blended the richness of the Medieval Era combined with stunning fantasy and magic. Since this is smaller publisher I hope that this romance will enjoy the wide readership it deserves.

Shannari’s destiny is a hard one. The prophecy foretells that she will wear the Rose Cro
Penny Watson
The Rose of Shanhasson by Joely Sue Burkhart

I am feeling pretty conflicted about this story. There were some things that I loved about it...cool paranormal stuff going on, beautiful and well-written imagery of this fantasy world, and two sexy heroes. There were also some things I didn't love...too much detail about the political conflict, the blood sucking/biting thing was a little off-putting to me and reminiscent of a vampire story (but it's not a vampire story), and I found the heroine's repe
Susi
I received this book from the author and I'm totally biased cuz Joely is one of the nicest people I know and I totally adore her work. You have been warned!

I haven't read a romantic fantasy book as good as this one for a long time. It has everything I love about this genre and even a bit more. I always like it when the fantasy is something special. I don't want to read about orks and elves any longer. I have so had enough of those.
I appreciate it when the author creates something new and creat
Soleil
“Love; the greatest Gift of all and the greatest Sacrifice.”

If you haven’t heard that before, you’ve obviously never read “The Rose of Shanhasson”, the first book of Bloods and Shadows, by Joely Sue Burkhart.

In which case? You’re missing out and I’ll tell you why.

Joely Sue Burkhart weaves a perfect blend of romance and fantasy. Her poetic prose sucks you in and refuses to let you go as we learn all about this delightfully heart wrenching love story about Bonds, Honor, Duty and above all else, Lo
♆ BookAddict ♨ ✒ La Crimson Femme❇ ♐
I worship Ms. Burkhart. She is an amazing writer. Each time I read one of her books, I think, why didn't I read this book earlier? I am so glad I purchased this book and enjoyed it thoroughly. Shannari is a literally a warrior princess. I love this strong yet prim and proper lead female character. What I enjoy about Ms. Burkhart's writing style is that she doesn't explain her world or tell me how it works. She reveals the world like a rose opening from a bud into full bloom.

Something that reall
Jennifer Mathis
The Rose of Shanhasson is an epic story that swept me into a land of sword-weilding princess,barbarian warriors and magic bonds. However it's not for the weak stomached as there is alot of decribed pain and blood. All around a well wrote story that leaves me wanting more and just my luck this is the first of the series:)
Angarad
EPIC!! That's the only way to describe this book!!
A very hardened and stubborn Princess, Shannira is everything you can hope in a woman fighting for her life, destiny and people. When she comes across Rhaekhar , she finally meets her match. Add to the mix the Shadowed Blood Gregar, as seductive as he is secretive, Shannira has no chance to escape with her heart untouched.

I loved the deep love, passion and devotion Rhaekhar showed from the very beginning. He knows she is the one and only for him
Angie
Synopsis: "Shannari is destined to unite the Green Lands.All she has to do is survive a battle with a barbarian, marry the barbarian, escape the very sexy barbarian and his elite warrior band, kill her former fiance,and make it home in one piece. The men in Shannari's life don't take no for an answer easily, and she's definitely worth fighting for. She doesn't believe in love with good reason--her last lover tried to kill her at a most inopportune time. It's a good thing she has fast reflexes, e ...more
LWB Marissa
When Joely Sue Burkhart asked if anyone was interested in reading and reviewing the Rose of Shanhasson I raised my hand immediately, I liked the blurb but I forgot this tiny little thing… out of all genres, fantasy is my least favorite one. And although this story is labeled as a fantasy romance (and I heart romance), I avoid this genre as much as possible. I dread the extensive world-building and lengthy descriptions of everything and nothing that slows down the pace of the story. It is just no ...more
Elii Vela
At first I had trouble getting into the story, but as I progress in reading I was immersed in a world of wars, intrigues and adventures that I did not want to leave it. Shannari is a stubborn character but loyal to her principles, a true warrior who fights for the good of her people. I really love the relationship between she and Rhaekhar, he is a sweetheart! And as always, Ms. Joely has a pen full of wonderfully descriptive and sensuality. A great start to the trilogy.

__________________________
Jessica
3.5 stars?

Not sure how to rate this. The world building was a little confusing at times, but in an epic, "where the hell is this story going?" sort of way that kept me reading. I enjoyed the characters, but the pacing was so fast there really wasn't much space to get to know them very well -- one benefit of this being a series is that, hopefully, the character building will be expanded in the next book.

This actually reminded me of an old-school, epic fantasy/romance in a lot of ways -- the emot
Krista
I must admit this isn't the first time I've read this book. Before it was released in paperback, I read the electronic version. And I must say the second time through was just as pleasurable as the first. Maybe more so.

I love these characters and I love the world Burkhart has created for them. As a romance, this book delivers a unique and powerful depiction of love, honor and sacrifice. It's bold and adventuresome, pushing against traditional RWA boundaries (you know, where there must be only o
Marie
Love love LOVE this series..strong female heroine, hot sexy warriors, magic, fantasy & mythical beasts..what more could a girl ask for?..oh yeah..themes of BDSM interwoven...oh yes..I am in love
Ronni
As a fan of the fantasy genre, I have lamented the lack of romance and strongly drawn female characters. The late Robert Jordan, George RR Martin, Brandon Sanderson, et al, are some of my favorite authors, but they just cannot create a compelling romance or write a decent sex scene! In her Shanhasson novels, Ms. Burkhart gives homage to the great fantasy authors that I have mentioned above (and I see a bit of Diana Gabaldon, as well), and her fantasy world-building contains the romance elements, ...more
Choi Tang
Bit curious as to how her loving two Barbarians will work out seeing her husband is the King of the clan (or "Khul")! Her struggle to accept Khul's love for her gets a bit tedious nearer the end and it would have been better if he HAD been prone to the green eyed demon. Read it in one sitting and enjoyed it! I was very aware it was part of a triolgy though which was a little off putting.
Vivian Archer
Bring on the barbarian fantasies! Super hot with enough blood and violence to make the rough sex even sweeter. Of course, I have to read the next one 'cause I'm left hanging, but not seeming to mind too much. Must like biting and blood.
 Sara
Lots of hot sex and action, though a bit angsty. The heroine held on to her doubts rather too long for me. But I am very much looking forward to the next book in the series.
Shari Mikels
Sep 28, 2013 Shari Mikels added it
Shelves: ebook
One of my absolute favorite books. I've reread it many times.
hannah
very well written, but to much blood and described pain for me.
Leah
Leah marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2014
Jay
Jay marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2014
Maeghan
Maeghan marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2014
Saniya Salema
Saniya Salema marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2014
Dpgblover
Dpgblover marked it as to-read
Dec 05, 2014
Mara Young
Mara Young marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2014
  • As You Wish (Time of Transition, #2)
  • The Black Diamond (Black Diamond, #2)
  • Settling (Solid, #2)
  • Hoodoo Money, First Edition
  • How to Propose to a Prince (Royle Sisters, #3)
  • Takedown (1 Night Stand, #13)
  • Curse (Wicked, #2)
  • Simon Says (Friends and Lovers, #2)
  • Annie, Get Your Guy / Messing Around with Max (Harlequin Duets, #47)
  • Josh's Justice (Bad in Boots, #4)
  • One Wicked Sin (The Scandalous Women of the Ton, #2)
  • Shadow Touch (Shadow Touch, #1)
  • El complot mongol
  • Unmasqued: An Erotic Novel of The Phantom of The Opera (Seducing the Classics, #1)
  • Tempted At Midnight (Mayhem in Mayfair, #4)
  • Step Dad Likes to Watch (Insatiable Stepdaughter, #1)
  • Reign of the Dead
  • Highland Rogue, London Miss
Author for Samhain Publishing and Carina Press.
More about Joely Sue Burkhart...
Dear Sir, I'm Yours (The Connaghers #1) Hurt Me So Good (The Connaghers #2) The Horse Master of Shanhasson (Blood and Shadows, #.2) Yours to Take Take Me (The Connaghers, #1.5)