Start by marking “Like I Give a Frock: Fashion Forecasts and Meaningless Misguidance” as Want to Read:
Like I Give a Frock: Fashion Forecasts and Meaningless Misguidance

Like I Give a Frock: Fashion Forecasts and Meaningless Misguidance

Wonder when a baguette became a bag and not just a hunk of bread? (Fendi, 1998.) Or when it became acceptableto wear a tracksuit to the supermarket? (It didn't.) Fishnets at work? How to conceal the misfortune of the cankle? Fashion forecaster Michi answers all. In this stylish primer, she tells it like it is: No one looks good in mustard, unless youre a hot dog. Matching ...more
Published April 15th 2009 by Chronicle Books

To ask other readers questions about Like I Give a Frock, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Like I Give a Frock

tee
Jan 11, 2009 tee rated it it was ok
Shelves: i-own
A pretty book to shove in with the rest of my pretty-but-completely-pointless books on the shelf. Absolutely no substance, not funny enough to warrant an entire book, but I totally dig the illustrations and the texture of the cover.
Wandoo Ityavyar
May 15, 2014 Wandoo Ityavyar rated it really liked it
Have you ever had cocktails or lattes on a patio by a street corner with a group of girlfriends? And did you ever play this exciting game where you critique all the passer- guys, awarding them a score from 1 to 10(if you know what I mean). Michi Girl is that really hip, quick witted friend of yours, who always comes up with all the 'good ones,' only this time its in fashion speak. Step aside TMZ, E!, Fashion police or whatever else is out there. Michi will wow you with her spot on observations a ...more
Ciara
Aug 10, 2009 Ciara rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: fashion students, serious fashion aficianados who can resist body hate
Shelves: read-in-2009
i guess this was...cute? i mean, it was easy on the eyes. lots of fashion student-type drawings with embellishments like beading & fashion swatches, & that's the kind of thing that really appeals to the part of me that is really interested in fashion. the writing content was quite skimpy, typically a short paragraph or less per page, & not particularly heavy on scintillating insight. supposedly it's all about tongue-in-cheek fashion advice, but there was really nothing here you could ...more
Monica
Jan 28, 2016 Monica rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
I had no idea what I was going into when I picked up this book, yet despite how strange and disconnected it was, I enjoyed it immensely.

If you feel as though you wish to poke through an artist's hilarious diary containing musings about anything and everything, then this is the book for you. I enjoyed both the text and the art that accompanied it.

I read this like a traditional 'book' as such, from front to back in one sitting however feel this is more suited as a coffee table book that you pick u
fennie
Apr 19, 2014 fennie rated it liked it
Shelves: chick-lit
this was a gift from a friend who considers herself to have a good amount of sass, so i suppose it makes sense that this is a cute, cheeky read. it was light-hearted and fun with no real story line. instead, this book is made up of seemingly random bits of observation and advice (although it is split up into sections based on season). because of its format, this is a book you can pick up and put down often without consequence. it is by no means a must-read, but it was entertaining and the artwor ...more
Pam G
Jan 31, 2011 Pam G rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
This is short and witty - it's like reading a blog, although I don't think it was. With lots of illustrations around the text, it doesn't take long to read. You won't pick up any must have fashion tips, but it was entertaining even so. I think it was here that I read that 'stressed' is 'desserts' spelt backwards - a great tidbit.
Brandy Spielman
Jun 03, 2016 Brandy Spielman rated it liked it
This was a cute book, though there wasn't much to it. I bought it second hand for a couple dollars, and I can't imagine spending much more because it seriously took me a half hour to read. There wasn't much practical advice in the book and little in the way of fashion to be honest, but the author is off beat and amusing.
Juliet
Mar 31, 2009 Juliet rated it it was ok
Shelves: artillustration, fun, 2009
I've been following Michi Girl's website for years and loved discovering new shops posted in her site albeit most of them being in Melbourne. This book however, is just massive eye candy. Meaningless indeed. To borrow but not to buy.
Elise
Mar 15, 2010 Elise rated it liked it
The content was funny and (I feel) correct on all fashion fronts, but it could have used more of it. The illustrations ranged from hideous to beautiful (just like fashion. My favorite part was the cloth cover and thick pages!
Tonielle
Feb 16, 2012 Tonielle rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Smashing good book full of hilarious antics...I couldn't stop laughing! I have a degree in Fashion Design as well so some of it was almost like an inside joke. One for setting out on the coffee table for others to grab a quick laugh.
Tori
Mar 18, 2014 Tori rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-in-my-40s
I wasn't interested in the content of this book, but I picked it up at a used book sale because it looked sort of like a scrapbook. It was worth the $1 and 20 minutes it took to read to get ideas around that.
Niki
Aug 11, 2009 Niki rated it liked it
I liked the art. The commentary was fun. A light read. Wonder how it will translate 50 years from now?
Anne
Dec 05, 2013 Anne rated it liked it
It was good enough to keep me interested and occupied while I was in a cafe waiting for someone. Love the illustrations too! This would make a perfect gift for a fashionista friend.
Bren
May 29, 2013 Bren rated it it was ok
Shelves: my-library, 2013
A quick light read. Cute and silly, kept me smiling. I'm more excited about how pretty it is. The illustrations are gorgeous and the cover art and texture makes it one of my favorites.
Laura Doberstein
Laura Doberstein rated it did not like it
Aug 12, 2015
Amelia
Amelia rated it it was ok
Feb 25, 2015
Adine
Adine rated it liked it
Jun 19, 2012
Chrissi Snow
Chrissi Snow rated it liked it
Jan 28, 2012
Trish
Trish rated it liked it
Nov 10, 2013
Julie
Julie rated it did not like it
Mar 16, 2010
Lauren
Lauren rated it really liked it
Nov 24, 2015
Jed
Jed rated it it was amazing
Jun 06, 2013
Lauren
Lauren rated it liked it
Aug 14, 2013
Gillian Wong
Gillian Wong rated it really liked it
Sep 29, 2012
Kady
Kady rated it really liked it
Jun 10, 2012
Kate
Kate rated it liked it
Dec 30, 2014
Lynn
Lynn rated it really liked it
Feb 07, 2011
Juella Cayt
Juella Cayt rated it really liked it
Feb 18, 2016
Tamara
Dec 14, 2014 Tamara rated it did not like it
This book sucked. I bought it for the pretty illustrations but other than that, very boring.
Michelle
Michelle rated it really liked it
Jul 25, 2013
  • Superman: The Complete History
  • Style Me Vintage: Clothes: A Guide to Sourcing and Creating Retro Looks
  • Refinery29: Style Stalking
  • How to Be a Zombie: The Essential Guide for Anyone Who Craves Brains
  • The Doll Scene: An International Collection of Crazy, Cool, Custom-Designed Dolls
  • Skulls: An Exploration of Alan Dudley's Curious Collection
  • Unseen Vogue
  • Gothic: Dark Glamour
  • Now Panic and Freak Out
  • The Power of Style: Everything You Need to Know Before You Get Dressed Tomorrow
  • Remodelista