The Enchantment Emporium (Gale Women, #1)

The Enchantment Emporium (Gale Women #1)

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  3,024 ratings  ·  403 reviews
Alysha Gale belongs to a specially "charm"-full family. The men grow horns, and obey females until they "choose". She inherits her gran’s Calgary junk shop with fey mailboxes and the Monkey's Paw. Leprechaun Joe can help sell yoyos. Tabloid reporter Graham bats very blue eyes and beds her. But when dragons fly overhead can even the Aunties save the day?
Published June 2009 by DAW (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Enchantment Emporium, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Enchantment Emporium

City of Bones by Cassandra ClareMoon Called by Patricia BriggsVampire Academy by Richelle MeadHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingDead Until Dark by Charlaine Harris
The Best Urban Fantasy
344th out of 2,361 books — 8,742 voters
Moon Called by Patricia BriggsHalfway to the Grave by Jeaniene FrostDark Lover by J.R. WardDarkfever by Karen Marie MoningOne Foot in the Grave by Jeaniene Frost
100 Books to Read in 2011
166th out of 601 books — 504 voters

More lists with this book...

Mike (the Paladin)
I'm sorry if you like this book...and I'm tired.

It seems more and more that when I pick up a book looking for an Urban Fantasy I get paranormal romance. I suppose that I set the bar lower than some for deciding what is PNR. And at the risk of being stoned I find more often than not if it's a female author it's going to lean that way (not always I know. I kind of like Rob Thurman's Leandros series).

The idea behind this book sounded good and caught my interest. I went out and bought it based on r...more
oliviasbooks
"For pity's sake boy," Auntie Jane snorted as Dimitri shuffled carefully into the kitchen, there's salve for that . Use it before these trousers rub you raw. Downstairs bathroom. And you lot," she snapped at the girls who gathered round the table as he left the room, "stop giggling. He didn't get in that condition all on his lonesome."
Allie pulled a platter of pancakes out of the oven were they'd been keeping warm. "He needs to learn to pace himself."

Please correct me. But what I've learned from...more
Jamie
This is one of the best urban fantasy books I've read in a while. With a slightly stronger ending this would have been a five-star book for me; it really hit my sweet spot. It's funny and light-hearted but not shallow at all. The magic system felt fresh and different, and it's not hard to enjoy this idea of women becoming more powerful as they age. I hope this is the beginning of a new series.

There's a big, loving, powerful, nosy, overprotective and very appealing family. There's a lot of amusin...more
Lightreads
Yeah, stoned on painkillers is totally the best way to review this one.

If you tilt your head to the right, this is a cozily hijinxical* Canadian urban fantasy with a magical junk shop and a leprechaun and a snuggly extended family who express their feelings by baking a lot, also dragons.

But if you tilt your head to the left, it’s seriously fucked up slice-of-life about a family of creepy mind-controlling witches who have a consent-optional incestuous breeding program RUN AWAY RUN AWAY.

So I most...more
Punk
Canadian Urban Fantasy. Magic runs in the Gale family, so when Allie's grandmother sends her a letter saying she's dead, no one really believes it. Still, the letter says that Allie's responsible for her gran's business, which is supposedly vital to the community, and having recently been fired, it's not like she has anything better to do. Allie packs up and heads for Calgary to take over her grandmother's...junk shop.

Reasons why this book made me D-face: 1) Unexplained magic system. 2) Unexplai...more
Caressa
*sigh* I picked this novel off the New Fiction shelf of the library, after not reading a word for two whole weeks. Crazy, I know. The librarians were getting ready to send a relief party out after me. Anyhoo. I've learned to be VERY wary of female-penned "urban fantasies," as they tend to be heavier on the romantical pining and orgies than the urban or fantasy. But EE piqued my interest for several reasons: 1) Witches with nary a vamp or were to be seen, 2) Said witches don't have frizzy red cur...more
Nina
Mar 21, 2009 Nina rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2009
It was great! A slow and somewhat confusing start resolved itself into a protagonist I couldn't help but love and an amazing magical system. If the beginning needed a little work, the ending more than made up for it. I love Allie and her motley selection of friends and family as well as her actual Family. There wasn't a character that wasn't perfectly written. Definitely think everyone should read. Exactly what Urban Fantasy should be and there must be more! (Or I will cry.)

Carol. [All cynic, all the time]
Enjoyed it, enough to add to my collection. Nice balance of plot and character development. On first read, the first chapter was slightly disjointed and challenging to follow, but sticking with it paid off big dividends. It's true, like other reviewers, I found the sex more distracting but it does play a role in the story in terms of relationships and emotional connections.
ambyr
I feel like finishing this book should leave me with more to say than "meh." Let's see. The plot was fast-paced enough to keep me reading, but not enough to get me past the weird gender relations, undeveloped magic system (I like the ritual set-up, but with no sense of what magic normally can or can't do, the ending lacked tension--I assumed they'd win, since so far magic had never failed them), and really, really sloppy editing.

And then, as other reviews note, there's the incest. It doesn't bot...more
Jacob Proffitt
I enjoyed this book despite all the efforts of the author to make me hate it. And I’ll admit up front that I’m not a huge Tanya Huff fan, but mainly because she takes her anti-hetero-normative politics so very seriously. So I was surprised that I found this book as engaging as I did.

The Gale family setup was bizarre and I’d hate to be caught in it (on the male or female side), but that didn’t lessen my fascination for the dynamic they find themselves in. If you buy the premise, the adaptations a...more
Amanda
I hate that these books keep disappointing me. I felt like this book was one big inside joke. First of all, the horn manifestations and copious references to sex=magic powers goes back to the pagan beliefs about the Green Man and May Day celebration and whatnot. However, if I wasn't a big brainiac and knew about that stuff already, I'd be super confused. So, perhaps I just don't have enough trivial knowledge, but so much of this book acknowledges these Gales and it really just doesn't make sense...more
Robin
Bought this book on a recommendation from a friend. Now I have to go find the friend a really nice Christmas present.
Although I found the beginning to be fairly rocky (I kept having to check and make sure I wasn't coming in halfway thru the series. Characters kept popping in with little in the way of narrative introduction. it was very odd), the rest of the story was very good. I couldn't put it down. I haven't done any housework in a week.

Honestly, how can you not love a character who (when th...more
Mercurybard
Cait
Sep 15, 2009 Cait rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: those who like this sort of thing
...Well, that was far more quasi-incestuous sex magic than I expected to meet this side of fanfiction.

I really liked this book. I'd hit a bad run and started to forget that the urban fantasy equivalent of the B movie can actually be good, but this is definitely a good book. It's cheerful and sexual and funny and well-built, and it definitely improved my week.
Gerd
Aug 08, 2010 Gerd rated it 1 of 5 stars
Shelves: dnf, tausch
I really like Tanya’s work, she’s one of the few authors that got me to read actual Fantasy, I do enjoy her Valor series a lot, but my true love always was with her Vicky Nelson novels and so it was with great anticipation that I awaited her return to Urban Fantasy.
Ah, but what a disappointment this book is.
After a hundred+ pages I’m still not sure what the main protagonist is supposed to be. Other than some variety of magic user that is.
All that Tanya cares to tell us about her is that she come...more
Sally
Estara
Oct 30, 2011 Estara rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of urban fantasy a la Emma Bull or Charles de Lint
Recommended to Estara by: dawbooks.livejournal.com
Darcy
Jun 04, 2009 Darcy rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2009, magic, uf
I was very confused on this book at first. Things seemed very random. When this happens I will give a book until page 50, if it is still like that give up. Luckily things started to make sense and I really liked the book in the end. But this does seem like one book where if you re-read it right again things will click faster.

I really liked Allie and her crazy family. They seemed like a fun group to be around. There was so much going on within how the family works it was hard to grasp it. There w...more
Jasper
originally posted at: http://thebookplank.blogspot.com/2014...

Urban Fantasy comes in many forms and shapes and I just found another one! Having read her first book in the Confederation series: Valour's Choice, her Tanya Huff showed that she knows how to write cool characters and an even better storyline. The Enchantment Emporium is the first book in the Gale Women series and promises a fine display of all things you like in Urban Fantasy. From a magic store, that takes the magic quite literal to...more
Blodeuedd Finland
First I must say that the family breeding program was pretty messed up. It was a keep in the family policy, and because there were so many girls then some got to breed outside the family. If the guy was accepted. But to be honest it never truly bothered me, Allie was not chosen by a cousin so I was a bit, ok, I can deal.

Allie left her family to start over in Calgary and take over her gran's weird shop. And of course things goes wrong at once. She meets a Fae, she sees...things I shall not mentio...more
Tasula
This is the lst book in a series about a magic emporium, left by a dead (?) grandmother to Allie Gale. She moves to Calgary to take over the emporium, meets strange people, including fey, and helps save the city from a fiery death by dragon. The heroine is a typical Tanya Huff female- strong, confident, loving. Some readers have remarked about the sex in the book- sex seems to be a tool for defusing tension, as well as bonding, and casual sex including with multiple partners (even committed part...more
Kribu
In all honesty, I seriously considered giving up on this book in the first chapter.

Not only was the "let's throw the reader right into the middle of this weird family" thing incredibly confusing, the abundant references to everyone enjoying threesomes, moresomes, orgies and sex rituals in all possible permutations - and keeping it all in the family at that - really isn't my cup of tea. At all.

At that point, I took a look at some reviews, which promised me that the plot would actually kick in w...more
Viridian5
Since I tend to enjoy Tanya Huff's work and read through them very quickly, I picked up The Enchantment Emporium as the first of my two newest library books to read, figuring that'd give me more time to work on the other one to be done before the due date. I was wrong and disappointed.

When a letter from Alysha Gale's eccentric, missing, and possibly dead Gran arrives, Allie has to take over Gran's odds and ends store in Calgary to find out what happened. Trouble and a lot of magic ensue.

This bo...more
Colleen
This was a fun romp, and definitely one of Huff's more frivolous pastries. The story is lightly set in Calgary, and we get to visit Banff along with some of the parks and interesting buildings around town. More importantly, Huff uses that wide open feeling to work the much older magic of what happens when someone smothered by too much family gets a chance to get away and claim some space of her own with the family she chooses to keep. The dragons aren't so typical as to be ho-hum, and the runnin...more
Ithlilian
My initial thoughts were that this book was about a woman taking over her grandmothers junk shop and running into some paranormal creatures. Well, there is a grandmother, a junk shop, and paranormal creatures, but events didn't unfold in any way I could have imagined. First, and let's just get it out of the way, this book is centered around a family that sleeps together. It was weird, but I was able to get past it. If it is too much for you I wouldn't suggest reading this. Now, the good things....more
This is the first book I've read by Tanya Huff, so I went into this without any expectations or preconceptions and was blown away by how good it was. This book is definitely urban fantasy, with its setting in modern day Calgary, but it read much more like a straight fantasy than my usual reads. The story centers around Alysha "Allie" Gale who is a young woman from a family with strong magical powers. It's never completely clear whether the family is fully human or not. Allie has just lost her jo...more
Melissa Proffitt
I wish I could give books two ratings, one for how much I liked it and another for its literary quality. The good (and more or less objective): Tanya Huff's writing is interesting and she has some good turns of phrase, the setup and milieu are unusual, there's a (mostly) satisfying payoff at the end, and I liked the supporting cast.

But personally, I was bored. Once you get past the unnecessary and poorly-handled first chapter, which was probably intended to create some kind of total immersion im...more
Julia
Allie has just lost her job at the ROM, her friend Michael and his boyfriend Brian have moved to Vancouver, and her aunties run her life, so when her Gran leaves her her junk shop in Calgary she goes. What didn’t get said in that sentence is that the Gale women are powerful women, not politically, though if one of them wanted that, she’d be supported. They’re magical. This is a delightful book and world!

"Be careful, Kitten. The aunties have been wondering for some time what your grandmother's be...more
Avrelia
I loved this book, and what I liked the most was the same I liked in all Huff's books I read: cool and likable characters, snappy dialogue, vivid imagery and sharp details. Details make me relate to the world Huff's characters live in and feel quite at home - whether it was mentions of some Canadian realities, brands or problems, or pop culture ones (like Joss Whedon and World of Warcraft).

So, what is about? A young woman that inherits a junk shop in Calgary from her grandmother, her gigantic ma...more
Ben Babcock
This book has been on my to-read list for four years, and I’m glad I finally got to it. Tanya Huff delivers strong urban fantasy set in a Canadian city. She sets up an interesting family of magic users, where the women and the men participate in complicated rituals that allow them to work charms. Alongside, she sends us a light mixture of supernatural creatures to pad out the character sheet—a leprechaun, some dragons and Dragon Lords, but nothing too unusual or overwhelming. That’s what I appre...more
  • Black Blade Blues (Sarah Beauhall #1)
  • An Artificial Night (October Daye #3)
  • Doppelgangster (Esther Diamond, #2)
  • The Glass God (Magicals Anonymous, #2)
  • Fall of Light (LaZelle, #2)
  • Whiskey and Water (Promethean Age, #2)
  • Elfland (Aetherial Tales, #1)
  • Point of Hopes (Astreiant, #1)
  • The Touchstone Trilogy
  • Pack of Lies (Paranormal Scene Investigations #2)
1967
"Born in Halifax, Nova Scotia: Although I haven't actually lived "down east" since just before my fourth birthday, I still consider myself a Maritimer. I think it's something to do with being born in sight of the ocean. Or possibly with the fact that almost no one admits to being from Ontario…

Raised, for the most part, in Kingston, Ontario. It was the late sixties, early to mid seventies. Enough s...more
More about Tanya Huff...
Blood Price (Vicki Nelson, #1) Blood Trail (Vicki Nelson, #2) Valor's Choice (Confederation #1) Blood Lines (Vicki Nelson, #3) Summon the Keeper (Keeper Chronicles #1)