Start by marking “In a Child's Name: The Legacy of a Mother's Murder” as Want to Read:
In a Child's Name: The Legacy of a Mother's Murder

In a Child's Name: The Legacy of a Mother's Murder

Tracing events from the Midwestern states of Indiana and Kentucky to the East Coast, the author of such major bestsellers as Serpico and King of the Gypsies has written a dramatic and terrifying book about a charming and successful psychopath and the woman who loved him--and whom he murdered. The custody battle over the couple's infant son makes this true story all the mor ...more
Published October 1st 1990 by Simon & Schuster

To ask other readers questions about In a Child's Name, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In a Child's Name

Cora
Aug 06, 2009 Cora rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read reviews from others of In A Child's Name which stated that the book was more interesting than the movie. In all fairness I have to say that the book did add more detailed information, some which could have been left out, however, I still think the movie was better. Couldn't believe that Kenneth Taylor was so manipulative, definetly a pshyco. I can only imagine what Theresa Taylor went through. Kenneth Taylor should have been put to death.
Rebecca McNutt
Mar 15, 2016 Rebecca McNutt rated it it was amazing
Also made into a shocking and frightening television film by the same name, In A Child's Name is a story of abuse, lies, grief and a family doing everything they can to rescue a child from a psychopath.
Cynthia
Oct 31, 2013 Cynthia rated it it was amazing
Shelves: crime
I do not think I have ever read a book that has made me so mad. What this husband did to his wife is, well there is no words. The books starts out with how they meet, married, the honeymoon (which the husband should have been shot for that alone), having a child and her death (OMG what that women had to live through before her death). Peter packs a lot in to a few pages. This alone will have you saying OMG. Most of the books is about what happens to the child. How Peter helps him get back home a ...more
Louise
Mar 22, 2009 Louise rated it really liked it
Shelves: true-crime
This is a chilling story about a dentist who brutally killed his wife. This fellow had a few wives and was unpleasant to some extent to each of them. This story takes you through his marriages, the children he helped produce, the murder of his last wife and a double court battle. One for the murder and another for the custody battle of his son. Unbelievable story, but not written in gory detail.

From the back cover:

"In 1984, the hideously beaten body of Teresa Benigno Taylor, a young wife and mot
Kari
Apr 08, 2013 Kari rated it really liked it
I saw the TV mini series long before I read the book-but I'm always curious just how accurate a TV series can be compared to the real thing. In A Child's Name is what made me fall in love with the true crime genre, and sparked my interest in pursuing criminal justice as a career for many years. Peter Maas did an amazing job giving more traits and character to the unfortuante victims in the case, while also painting a somewhat different picture of each family, that made you really identify and ge ...more
Bev Walkling
First of all - this particular edition of the book does not have 16 pages of photographs. There are a few pictures on the cover and inside cover of the book.

This book was the 1990 winner of the Edgar Award for Best Fact Crime and I can see why it won the award. The author has done an incredibly detailed job of telling the story of dentist Dr. Ken Taylor who murdered his wife Teresa in an incredibly savage way. He also tells the story of the youngest victim - Teresa's son Phillip and the lengthy
Debra Darschewski
Jul 25, 2011 Debra Darschewski rated it it was amazing
I'm not sure how I even got this book, but it was a very interesting read. Much like watching cold case files and seeing everything unfold. Truth is always stranger than fiction and this bookis right there with it. The story is told with no slanting toward either family's side, just the facts. You can't help, but feel for the obvious victims of the tragedies and stand aghast at the sociopath that no one sees until it's too late. He is every family's nightmare, but apparently his own family is to ...more
Melba
Aug 18, 2016 Melba rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: True crime lovers
This book is sad, but enlightening at the same time. The horror that the lady suffered at the hands of her husband was horrific, but I am glad that the outcome was his incarceration. He should have gotten the death penalty, in my opinion. I have seen the movie based on this book & the case, which is also just as horrific. It is so sad to think that things that this happen everyday somewhere, and that it continues to happen daily.
Naomi
Dec 22, 2010 Naomi marked it as to-read
I didn't realize that this story was a book until I saw it on a GR friends read list. The movie version of this story literally scared the hell out of me and was deeply sad at the same time. The first time I saw it, I was in the hospital and woke up to the scene where the detectives have sprayed luminol in the bedroom...Couldn't go back to sleep after that..
Fishface
Jan 13, 2016 Fishface rated it really liked it
An excellent read about a hideous crime. Very well written; moving, sickening and frankly scary by turns. I came away feeling I understood the situation and most of the people in it. Except for Ken's parents; what are those two even thinking about?
Janice
Apr 25, 2012 Janice rated it it was amazing

You have to keep reminding yourself that this is a true story - that there at re real monsters in life.
Utdancer
Good, but sad since it is a true story.
Kim
Dec 05, 2014 Kim rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Kim by: lisa ratliff
Shelves: true-stories
interesting and good
Leah Rubinstein-cinman
Jul 08, 2015 Leah Rubinstein-cinman rated it it was amazing
this book was hard to put down, this crime happened close to where I live now, and I always think of it when I drive past the street.
Helen Price
May 29, 2016 Helen Price rated it it was amazing
Anyone who watch the film I def recommend to read this book you be in tears
Pauline
Dec 13, 2008 Pauline rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: true-story
One of my favorite true life murder books that eventually became a made for tv movie.
Kelly
Aug 03, 2013 Kelly rated it it was amazing
Shelves: already-read
I remember watching the lifetime movie mini series about this case. The Taylor family are some sick human beings! Hope Teresa is at rest and her son grew up to know that she loved him.
Loraine
May 06, 2012 Loraine rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned
Wonderfully narrated and researched.
Lisa Guidry
Bone-chilling. A story of a sister fighting for custody of her dead sister's baby boy. The baby's mother was brutally murdered by her husband. True story.
- ̗̀ Unsolved Mystery  ̖́-
Jun 02, 2010 - ̗̀ Unsolved Mystery ̖́- rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: True crime lovers

I had a review posted but Goodreads ate it.
Susan Johnson
watched the movie read the book . I did not like in the book that they gave the father ( if you could call it that ) so much to say in the book.
Karen
Mar 25, 2015 Karen rated it really liked it
Shelves: true-crime
This is a well written account of a dentist who murders his wife and avoids justice for quite some time. Peter Maas knows how to write true crime without too much drag.
Diane
Diane rated it it was amazing
Sep 17, 2009
Beth
Beth rated it liked it
Nov 26, 2013
Deborah
Deborah rated it really liked it
Jul 03, 2016
Dawn
Dawn rated it it was amazing
Apr 02, 2015
Maitha
Maitha rated it it was amazing
Nov 17, 2015
luv2read22
luv2read22 rated it really liked it
Sep 14, 2016
Kimberly
Kimberly rated it it was amazing
Jun 22, 2012
Sarah Everly
Sarah Everly rated it really liked it
Dec 06, 2014
  • Justice at Nuremberg
  • Invisible Eden
  • Thirteen Alabama Ghosts and Jeffrey
  • Green River Rising
  • The Fateful Adventures of the Good Soldier Svejk During the World War, Book(s) Three & Four
  • Rosa (Berlin Trilogy, #1)
  • Simple Simon (Art Jefferson, #4)
  • Some Can Whistle
  • As Seen on TV: Provocations
Peter Maas was an American journalist and author. He was born in New York City and attended Duke University.

He was the biographer of Frank Serpico, a New York City Police officer who testified against police corruption. He is also the author of the number one New York Times bestseller, Underboss, about the life and times of Sammy "The Bull" Gravano.

His other notable bestsellers include The Valach