Start by marking “The Moffat Museum” as Want to Read:
The Moffat Museum

The Moffat Museum (The Moffats #4)

There has never been a museum in Cranbury...until now.
Among its treasures are the first bike each of the Moffat kids rode, stardust from a meteor that fell to earth, a beautiful painting made by Sylvie, and-most spectacularly-Rufus, the Waxworks Boy, who is as funny as he is waxy. The museum is so interesting that Mr. Pennypepper even brings tourists to visit.
But the muse
Published April 1st 2001 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published November 1st 1983)

To ask other readers questions about The Moffat Museum, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Moffat Museum

Feb 24, 2010 Sarah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this series! So fun and funny!
Stephanie
I unabashedly enjoy the Moffat books. This one is no exception. Eleanor Estes captures a child's view of some important milestones that people enounter as they change from children ot adults.
emma grace
Mar 14, 2012 emma grace rated it really liked it
August 2009 review:

This is the last story in the Moffat series. Janie, Joey, and Rufus Moffat decide to create a museum in their old barn out of all of the stuff that represents the Moffat family. People from all over town come to the free Moffat museum to see things like the bike that they all learned to ride on, a painting by done by their sister Sylvie, and much more. Besides the starting of the museum, Sylvie gets married, Rufus gets a paper route, and Joey gets a real job. Only Janie is lef
Isabelle G
Sep 26, 2011 Isabelle G rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was about the Moffat's lives and adventures. Each chapter was a new and different adventure. The first chapter was about how the kids made the first Mueseum in their neighborhood. The fourth chapter held a different adventure- the older sister's wedding! After she moved, in the seventh chapter, her younger sister went to visit her. Each in between chapter carried on about that adventure and every adventure held lots of new and interesting characters. The ninth chapter was about a holid ...more
Trish
Feb 07, 2010 Trish rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The last book in the Moffat series. I enjoyed this book, especially the details of the Moffat Museum. This book was written long after the other books in this series, and I feel it didn't stand up quite as well as those. I would still recommend it though. Eleanor Estes writes beautifully, and I love her mix of humor and bittersweet observation (i.e. the family's financial situation).
Alice
Jan 10, 2010 Alice rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It is always a joy to spend time with the Moffats. I just adore the stories of Cranberry, Ct in the 1910's by Eleanor Estes. I love that she shares these stories about 4 fatherless children who basically live in poverty and yet they are not poor--they are so rich with love and care and living life like children do--day to day glorying in simple things.
Emily
Dec 26, 2011 Emily rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Estes excels at relating difficulties with a light touch rather than a heavy hand, such as when Joey quits school to go to work.

Cover art note: that huge meteor behind the stanchion is Tricia Tusa channeling Jane's imagination. All the Moffat museum had in it was "stardust". And the meteors weren't that large even before they were dynamited.
Jeannie
Dec 14, 2009 Jeannie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My favorite chapter was the train trip Jane took. This part seemed to capture the old series best for me. There were many moments throughout the book where I felt that, but overall I don't think it had quite the magic of the earlier books. I'm so glad Eleanor Estes wrote this last book, though. The best part was catching up on the family!
Linda
Jul 27, 2009 Linda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Moffat children create a museum in their old barn of artifacts from their lives. Sylvie gets married. Jane has an adventure on the train when she goes to visit her sister and her new husband. Joey leaves school to go to work. This charming story perfectly captures small-town life in turn-of-the-century Connecticut.
Melissa
May 18, 2010 Melissa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think this is the last book in the Moffat series, and I'm so sad to say goodbye to this darling family. Each book has made me love them even more. These books have made Paul and me laugh, and brought me close to tears. The Moffats are one of the happiest families I've ever met in a book, and yet they are poor, fatherless, and living with all the hardships of life during WWI.
Amy
The 4th Moffat book. We liked the other 3 better but we kept on with this because we wanted to finish the series. We love slow moving books - but this one was SO repetitive that it was actually pretty annoying. OK then - I still loved the Moffat series and recommend it to anyone that likes to read sweet stories of childhood past.
Lia
The Moffats and the Pye books accomplish something difficult. They capture the innocence and the angst of childhood with innocence without ignoring the larger world. They are sweet and sad, brilliant and beautiful.
Carolien
Sweet, adorable book. Eleanor Estes writes brilliantly about childhood. I love the idea of a family museum. Every child should make one.
Meredith Henning
Sep 22, 2009 Meredith Henning rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: emma
Chris Zupke
I read this to my 9 yo son at bed time. We both enjoyed it very much. Eleanor Estes' books are wonderful reads for the 8-10 range.
Lisa Yee
Lisa Yee rated it it was amazing
Sep 14, 2013
Caroline Bosworth
Caroline Bosworth rated it liked it
Aug 20, 2015
Jill
Jill rated it liked it
Jan 11, 2016
Caroline
Caroline rated it it was amazing
Feb 11, 2012
Sophia
Sophia rated it really liked it
Jul 18, 2011
Alexandra
Alexandra rated it it was amazing
Feb 04, 2012
Izzy
Izzy rated it really liked it
Mar 11, 2016
Molly Dann
Molly Dann rated it it was amazing
Jun 13, 2014
JennicaAyelet
JennicaAyelet rated it it was amazing
Apr 15, 2013
Ginny Enas
Ginny Enas rated it it was amazing
Apr 20, 2015
Lalaine
Lalaine rated it really liked it
May 24, 2012
Julia Grace
Julia Grace rated it really liked it
Apr 02, 2012
Abigail Files
Abigail Files rated it really liked it
Nov 10, 2011
Yonit
Yonit rated it it was amazing
Dec 24, 2014
Karla Jacobo
Karla Jacobo rated it it was amazing
Mar 30, 2016
  • Spiderweb for Two: A Melendy Maze
  • When the Sirens Wailed
  • Ella of All-of-a-Kind Family (All-of-a-Kind Family, #5)
  • Miss Bianca (The Rescuers, #2)
  • A Stranger at Green Knowe (Green Knowe, #4)
  • Happy Little Family
  • Winona's Pony Cart (Deep Valley, #3)
  • The Exiles at Home (The Exiles, #2)
  • The Singing Tree
  • The Golden Name Day
Eleanor Ruth Rosenfeld (Estes)was an American children's author. She was born in West Haven, Connecticut as Eleanor Ruth Rosenfield. Originally a librarian, Estes' writing career began following a case of tuberculosis. Bedridden while recovering, Estes began writing down some of her childhood memories, which would later turn into full-length children's books.

Estes's book Ginger Pye (1951) won the
More about Eleanor Estes...

The Moffats (4 books)
  • The Moffats (The Moffats, #1)
  • The Middle Moffat (The Moffats, #2)
  • Rufus M. (The Moffats, #3)