Start by marking “Classic Feynman: All the Adventures of a Curious Character” as Want to Read:
Classic Feynman: All the Adventures of a Curious Character

Classic Feynman: All the Adventures of a Curious Character

4.48 of 5 stars 4.48  ·  rating details  ·  511 ratings  ·  47 reviews
Classic Feynman Richard Feynman (1918-1988) thrived on outrageous adventures. Now packaged with an hour-long audio CD of the 1978 "Los Alamos from Below" lecture, "Classic Feynman" offers readers a chance to finally hear a great tale in the Nobel Prize-winning physicist's own voice. Full description
Published November 22nd 2005 by W. W. Norton & Company (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Classic Feynman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Classic Feynman

A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill BrysonA Brief History of Time by Stephen HawkingDomination & Submission by Michael MakaiThe Prince by Niccolò MachiavelliThe Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Get Smart!
83rd out of 145 books — 57 voters
The Feynman Lectures on Physics by Richard P. FeynmanAnimal by David BurnieIf This Is a Man / The Truce by Primo LeviMountaineering by The Mountaineers ClubVisual Complex Analysis by Tristan Needham
Non-Fiction, >4.30, >100 votes
23rd out of 108 books — 9 voters

More lists with this book...

Tyler Simko
In life, it seems that there are two types of geniuses - great minds and great teachers. Many of each type have come along throughout modern history, minds like Albert Einstein, Isaac Newton and Niels Bohr, and teachers such as Nadia Boulanger, Socrates and Annie Sullivan. Very infrequently, genetics will stumble upon a phenomenal combination that provides both within once person - this was Richard Feynman.

Despite his incredible mind, he also had a knack for explanation and story-telling - a ta
Trevor
A collection of life anecdotes from one of history's most over-the-top characters. Classic Feynman is the autobiographical retelling of various vignettes from Feynman's life,. The vignettes themselves are interesting and often hilarious as Feynman is a keen wit and unfailingly curious about the world and its inhabitants. While the stories themselves make for an entertaining read the final essays of the collection elevate the book to required reading. The final story details his time spent as a m ...more
Jamie Wong
This book is incredible, though not for the reasons I had really anticipated.

The portions of the book I really thoroughly enjoyed had nothing to do with physics. The parts I'll remember from this book are his exploits as a lockpick, a safecracker, a figure artist, a bongo player, a prankster, a polyglot, and a traveler. I'll remember his determination in working on only things that interest him, even if they don't appear to be useful (the wobbling plate). I'll remember his hours observing ants f
Matthew Zhang
Richard Feynman is da shit. The end.
Kevin
Classic Feynman is a collection of stories, lectures, and anecdotes taken from his two most popular books, Surely Your Joking and What Do You Care What Other People Think to form an entertaining autobiography of this endlessly fascinating and fiercely independent man. The book is divided into two distinct parts. The first and largest chunk of the book is dedicated to Feynman's childhood, time as a student, his work at Los Alamos, his adventures in Brazil and Japan, and his time as a professor at ...more
Tyler
There are certain books which, if read at the correct time in a person's development, can drastically alter their life for the better. This is the best example of such a book.

Feynman's stories distill a lifetime of lessons into a light-hearted, pleasantly disjoint narrative. Each chapter is a separate story, but Feynman's life is so intensely interesting that it will keep you glued to this book until the very end.

Feynman was a brilliant and incredibly luck individual. Many of the stories in this
Caroline
I find Feynman irresistible. He's got a clear worldview that he likes to question and explore, using the imaginary audience as a platform. Plus, his stories are just wacked out crazyville. For instance, Feynman worked at Los Alamos on the nuclear bomb, but that's not at all the focus of his story: rather, the coded letters his dying wife sent, and his growing safecracking/lockpicking skills while at the secure facility are his emphasis.

And that's just the tip of the Feynman iceberg. This set of
Tarafina
I actually had this book read to me by someone who truly appreciates Feynman; it was a treat! It also came with a disc, so I could plug Feynman's stories into my car and get a whole spectrum of auditory experience.

This was one of the great men of history, IMHO, an obvious genius, but a humble one. I love that he taught himself to draw. I love that he loved his wife more than anything, and that when she became ill, they sent each other encrypted messages and love notes and puzzles to each other.
Allison
I am a huge Feynman fan now. Thanks Sonny. I like to imagine him playing the bongos… Feynman, I mean. And refusing to go collect his Nobel prize.
Wilson Lanue
Here are all the anecdotes previously published in Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman! and What Do You Care What Other People Think?, rearranged into chronological order.

As such, it's a great read, but given a choice I'll take them in the order of first printing. The advantage here, though, is the included CD of Feynman telling some of his grand Los Alamos stories for himself.
Wayne
I could just have easily given this book four stars. It reads like a transcript of a lecture, which in many cases it probably is.

Many parts were fascinating, but I could have done w/out some of the chapters. However he comes across as an intellectually honest author, with a willingness to give you access to his raw emotions and hunger to learn everything about everything. If a person is the sum of his experiences, then you can argue that nothing in the book was superfluous.
stephanie borris
I knew nothing about Richard Feynman before reading this book. For the newbie like me, Classic Feynman provided a wonderful glimpse into the life of this hilarious scientist. This collection of stories did seem to drag on at times, but I enjoyed Feynman's stories so much. He is a natural storyteller. I wish an audiobook version existed so I could hear Feynman recount these adventures himself.

Worth reading. You do not have to know/enjoy physics to love Feynman.
John Orman
The brilliant Richard Feynman was many people in one--scientist, teacher, writer, bongo player, raconteur, and safecracker. But mainly he is known to the public as a great storyteller.

This book collects several of Feynman's published volumes of wit and wisdom, as well as a CD of his presentation of atomic bomb adventures to a live audience in 1978. The printed stories are wonderful, but the audio presentation really highlights Feynman's high-flying spirit.
Brandonbildung
Great book. Basically is a nice collection of all the little smaller popular Richard Feynman books, all in one nice hardcover. I kiss it sometimes. It also contains some new material. Absolutely love it. See my reviews of the books contained within separately which I also own.
Kate
Had to return to the library before I finished, but really good! Very humorous -- laugh out loud at a couple points --basically delivered as (edited)transcripts of Feynman talking, so a little overlap in some story lines here & there, but overall very entertaining anecdotes from a brilliant mind. He stays fairly well balanced between self deprecating humor and knowing he is in fact very intelligent.
Brian
I don't care what Freeman Dyson says; Feynman has to be making half this shit up. But you can't make up working at Los Alamos or unraveling the Challenger disaster. And even if Feynman has exaggerated a little for the sake of good storytelling, it's still damn good storytelling, and legitimate insight into a strange, playful mind that most of us in the math and sciences have profound respect for. Bravo.
Kylee
I was inspired, as an engineer and a curious person who often ponders things I think I have no business concerning myself with. I am more likely going to let myself just figure things out, and learn. I might learn real Japanese or fake Italian, I might learn how to pick locks or decide to no longer make decisions about my dessert. Whatever it is, it will crazy and rewarding.
Michelle
I've been curious about Feynman since seeing a movie about him and his first wife, during his work on the atom bomb in New Mexico. Great stories, all taken from Feynman lectures. He's very bright and sometimes a little full of himself, but lived a very full life and is a great storyteller, and was behind the scenes of some of the big scientific events of the past 50 years.
Annette
Such an interesting man. He was truly an eccentric genius. Some of his stories were over my head with the information, but I kept wishing I would have liked to meet him in passing. Been a part of one of his adventures. And his thirst for the new and the interesting ignites many imaginations. Oh that physics had been this interesting.
Miguel
Fascinating book / biography of Feynman. This is the 2nd (or 3rd) book I've read on him and this seems to be the most complete. Especially enjoyed the section on his investigation into the NASA Challenger explosion. Key lessons learned from this book: 1) keep your "bend over backwards" integrity, and 2) to doubt is a great gift.
Nicole
I had started this book many years ago, but shelved it for reasons I cannot remember. As another reviewer pointed out, there's something about the right book at the right time. This time, Feynman's story was personally revelatory and revolutionary. Read when you're burning to see the world differently--and rejoice and marvel at it.
Melody
Classics from Feynman's earlier autobiographical works arranged in roughly chronological order. A bonus CD of some of the source material is included, and is well worth the price of admission. Feynman was hilarious to listen to, a born raconteur. Fun collection that's light on the science and heavy on the anecdotes. Recommended.
Toby Decker
Wonderful collection of stories on a variety of topics from a common sense genius. A teacher, and brilliant physicist, he uses wit and insight to explain Physics in ways that non-Physics students will quickly grasp.

Merged review:

Fascinating bio/account of a genius who could make the complex understandable.
Julie
Loved it! One of my favorite scientist autobiographies (the other is E.O Wilson's The Naturalist). He was brutally honest, he was funny, endearing, and had nothing to hide. His passion and love for Science shone through.
I have marked a lot of pages so I can re-read his awesomeness again and again.
Jenny
Great book. It was nice to read something humorous and intelligent and feel like I could connect with my physicist husband on some level. I didn't expect to enjoy this book, but now I would recommend it to any curious reader no matter their understanding of science. Feynman is brilliant and hilarious!
Luke
Feynman isn't a writer and his stories aren't that amazing, but he did lead quite a life, had a great spirit, and more than anything this book taught me that self doubt, honesty, and willingness to try something are the stuff of which Nobel Prize Winners are made :)
Anne
It was a funny autobiographical book written by the famous physicist. I didn't realize he was such a nut! He definitely didn't think the way I do. I kind of wish I could be that passionate about science. I do love it but not like him.
Pegs
Dec 21, 2008 Pegs is currently reading it
I love feynman's stories from childhood. It's fascinating to see how his father influenced his desire to dissect nature by simply asking him questions instead of telling him all the answers.
Damon
If you are going to buy one Feynman book, this should be it (contains all of his popular writings (ie no lectures). Part history, part science, part humor and three parts contrarian. Classic.
ACRL
Dec 03, 2012 ACRL added it
Shelves: motw
Read by ACRL Member of the Week Yasmeen Shorish. Learn more about Yasmeen on the ACRL Insider blog.
  • Disturbing the Universe
  • The Origins of Life: From the Birth of Life to the Origin of Language
  • Introduction to Elementary Particles
  • The Beauty of the Beastly
  • Real-Time Rendering
  • Nonlinear Dynamics and Chaos: With Applications to Physics, Biology, Chemistry, and Engineering
  • The Mind's New Science: A History Of The Cognitive Revolution
Richard Phillips Feynman was an American physicist known for the path integral formulation of quantum mechanics, the theory of quantum electrodynamics and the physics of the superfluidity of supercooled liquid helium, as well as work in particle physics (he proposed the parton model). For his contributions to the development of quantum electrodynamics, Feynman was a joint recipient of the Nobel Pr ...more
More about Richard P. Feynman...
Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman!: Adventures of a Curious Character What Do You Care What Other People Think? Six Easy Pieces: Essentials of Physics By Its Most Brilliant Teacher QED: The Strange Theory of Light and Matter The Pleasure of Finding Things Out: The Best Short Works of Richard P. Feynman