Start by marking “The Life of John Wesley Hardin: As Written By Himself” as Want to Read:
The Life of John Wesley Hardin: As Written By Himself

The Life of John Wesley Hardin: As Written By Himself

3.63 of 5 stars 3.63  ·  rating details  ·  43 ratings  ·  6 reviews
In an era and an area notable for badmen and gunslingers, John Wesley Hardin was perhaps the most notorious. Considered by many of his contemporaries to be almost illiterate, he nevertheless left for publication after his death in 1895 this autobiography, which, though biased, is remarkably accurate and readable.

Hardin was born in 1853 in Bonham, Texas, the son of a Method
Published January 15th 1973 by University of Oklahoma Press (first published January 1st 1972)

To ask other readers questions about The Life of John Wesley Hardin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Life of John Wesley Hardin

Cassia
Jun 11, 2008 Cassia added it
I really loved this book. Reading his point of view on how he lived and other's point of view was really interesting. And it was never boring. It was always exciting in some way. I love western anything so reading about the western way of things was awesome.
Doug
Terrific because it is the only known auto-biography of an old west gunfighter. Also very cool to read because he's my cousin. I have an original copy and there is stuff the U of OK did not include.
Dirk
There's 153 pages in this book. I would approximate that Hardin killed 2 people per page.
Adrianne Ambrose
You might remember John Wesley Hardin from those Time Life advertizements that claim he shot a man for snoring too loud. (Well who has stayed in a youth hostel dorm and not wanted to do that?)Anway, I found out that of all the gunslingers of the old west, he's the only one that wrote his memoirs so of course I wanted to read it.

First of all, there is some controversy as to whether he actually penned the book, but after comparing the writing to letters he wrote his wife, I believe he did. After a
Matthew
Hardin took himself very seriously. This is a very dry recitation of murders and roamings. It may be silly to expect humor or insight in an outlaw's autobiography, colorful movie murderers have skewed expectations I guess. This book is terribly boring. If you are curious about the period and the region there is little departure from the hackwork of fictional nickel westerns of the time.

Hardin was given a pardon from Governor Hogg for all of his killings.

Recently, in my hometown, noted country mu
Jack
Jack marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2015
The Wolf
The Wolf marked it as to-read
May 31, 2015
Dan O'Brien
Dan O'Brien marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2015
Gene
Gene marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2015
James Fowler
James Fowler marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2015
Kimberly
Kimberly marked it as to-read
Oct 28, 2014
Jo Sweet
Jo Sweet marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2014
Alan
Alan marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2014
Nick
Nick marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2014
Sarah marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2014
John
John marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2014
Ben
Ben marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
The Life of John Wesley Hardin Gunfighter The Letters of John Wesley Hardin Texas Ranger Tales: The Life of John Wesley Hardin as Written by Himself (With Interactive Table of Contents and List of Illustrations) (Texas Ranger Tales Book 1) The Pistoleer