Start by marking “Night Light: A Devotional for Couples” as Want to Read:
Night Light: A Devotional for Couples

Night Light: A Devotional for Couples

4.02  ·  Rating Details  ·  795 Ratings  ·  32 Reviews
The challenge of sustaining an intimate, faith-based marriage in today's "hurry-up" society has never been greater. Now Night Light, the inspired, first-ever couples' devotional from Focus on the Family ministry founder Dr. James Dobson and his wife, Shirley, brings spouses together each evening, helping them stay connected with each other and their Lord. Stories that stri ...more
Published August 22nd 2000 by Multnomah

To ask other readers questions about Night Light, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Night Light

Murder is Binding by Lorna BarrettThe Diva Runs Out of Thyme by Krista DavisCharlotte's Web by E.B. WhiteKarma's a Killer by Tracy WeberA Killer Retreat by Tracy Weber
Cute Cozy Covers
16th out of 43 books — 6 voters
Wood, Talc and Mr. J by Chris   RoseAfter Forever Ends by Melodie RamoneThe Syrian Virgin by Zack LoveAnissa's Redemption by Zack LoveMockingjay by Suzanne Collins
Books that will make you feel ALL the things
24th out of 56 books — 59 voters

More lists with this book...

Dani
Apr 07, 2009 Dani rated it it was ok
Shelves: abandoned
This book is meant to be a nightly devotional for married couples. Monday through Friday you read a couple paragraphs and then answer three or four discussion questions. Saturday and Sunday you just read a longer story without questions to review what you've discussed and prepare you for the next week's topic.

Even though my husband and I only stuck with it for three weeks, I would still tell other couples to give it a try. We only gave up on it because my husband wanted something that was more o
Larry
Mar 07, 2014 Larry rated it really liked it
My wife and I got this book a few years ago with the intention of using it as designed—to share a devotion together as we went to bed at the end of each day. The problem was that as we went through the discussion questions at the end of each devotional, we'd end up getting in a fight half the time as we shared sensitive thoughts. Not a good way to drift off to sleep. So we shelved the book, until recently I got it out and read it alone as part of my daily devotionals. I really enjoyed it, and sh ...more
Tara Nichols
Sep 01, 2007 Tara Nichols rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: married people
This devotional book was given to my husband and I as a wedding present, and it was probably the most helpful thing we received that day. The devotions are insightful, often funny, and each includes questions for you and your spouse to answer together. Each devotion only takes about 10 to 15 minutes, and that is time very well spent. My husband and I read it together most every night during our first several months of marriage and it was so helpful. If you are newly married, or have been married ...more
Stace
Jul 08, 2012 Stace rated it liked it
Shelves: fully-devoted
Scott and I read this the first year we were married. Someone bought it for us as a wedding gift. I remember the "eight cow woman" story!
Brittnee
Nov 13, 2012 Brittnee rated it it was amazing
This was given to my husband and I as a gift from his brother and sister-in-law. Someone gave it to them or they bought it for themselves and just passed it on to us. We plan to do the same for our best friends who are getting married this summer.
The devotions are short and light but they lead to really great conversations. Husband and I even make up our own questions as we're going along. We can't relate to some things that the book talks about just yet (like children) but we talk about it hyp
Stephen Bishop
Aug 26, 2015 Stephen Bishop rated it it was amazing
My wife and I absolutely loved this devotional. I appreciated that the questions at the end of each lesson got us to ask questions that we normally wouldn't have thought to ask each other (questions that needed to be asked). We also greatly appreciated that it wasn't 'watered down', meaning it wasn't a devotional with a hint of God on the side but rather it was a full-on God centered devotional.
Kathleen
Mar 11, 2011 Kathleen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hubby and I really liked this book. Each week is devoted to a topic. It is introduced on Sunday and each weeknight reading is followed by a few questions tying the topic to your marriage. The topic is then wrapped up on Saturday. This book gave us some great things to think and talk about. I would highly recommend it!
Victoria
I'm a pretty young married woman and this was more for people married at least ten years or more (which I am in my 5th year of marriage currently). It was inspiring and very lovely and I enjoyed reading it each night with my husband. I am sure we'll read it again one day together.
Denielle
This was the first couple's devotional my husband and I tried. It was a nice way to reconnect on both a spiritual level and as a couple every evening. We enjoyed it so much we bought copies for a few other couples we know.
Letitia
Mar 13, 2014 Letitia rated it it was ok
While I think spending time reading and discussing and sharing spiritual experiences with your spouse is crucial, Dobson's ideas of marriage are rooted too deeply in obsolete gender roles to be relevant to me or my relationships.
Sarah Eldridge
Aug 15, 2012 Sarah Eldridge rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Married couples, Christian couples, newlyweds, older married couples looking for renewal
Recommended to Sarah by: Christian Bookstore
A great, timeless book!
Devotions that Christian husbands and wives can do nightly (or any night they are able to) together. Brings up awesome discussions about faith, God, and how each your marriage should glorify God.
Mark
Jan 24, 2008 Mark rated it it was amazing
Jessie and I did this book for about a year and a half. It had good questions about our marriage, us, and our relationship with Christ. It is short and sweet and easy to do before bed, as long as you are not too tired.
Amos
Aug 05, 2010 Amos marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
published by Multnomah Publishers, Inc., P.O. Box 1720, Sisters, Oregon 97759. Found in SHB's pile when we installed the Readers Stand 8/5/2010
Think I read this a couple years ago added to my to-read pile 8/5/10
Kara
Jul 30, 2007 Kara rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: couples!
Shelves: christian
I absolutely adore this book! This is a couples devotional that is EXCELLENT! My husband and I are really enjoying going through it together and look forward to the time we spend reading it each night.
Mandy
Jan 04, 2009 Mandy rated it it was amazing
This is such a wonderful devotional for couples. Jason and I give it as a wedding gift to every couple that we know that gets married. we loved reading in it each night before going to bed.
Larissa
Jul 16, 2008 Larissa rated it it was amazing
Shelves:
This is a great book that I got from a friend as an engagement present. Yes, we are still reading it, but every time we go through it, we have the best discussions! Highly recommend this book.
Cynthia Plant
This was a wonderful devotional to share with my husband. I loved that we were able to see and use biblical principles in our marriage. I am passing the book onto a close friend and her husband.
Linda
Jun 23, 2016 Linda rated it it was amazing
Shelves: spirituality
Great couples devotiion that you can use again and again! Spend a year reading and doing the exercises and your relationship will be richer for the time you invested.
Luis Villasenor
Oct 04, 2009 Luis Villasenor rated it it was ok
Wasn't really an interenting read for my wife and I. I wanted to see what James C. Dobson had to write about and it seems like I not really fan of his writing.
Matt
May 03, 2008 Matt rated it liked it
Very good for a prayer time with your spouse. Quick and relevant. I usually hate Dobson, but they did a good job on this one.
Justin Tapp
Jul 09, 2014 Justin Tapp rated it it was ok
Read this before we had kids, would probably be a different read now. Don't recommend it unless you have kids.
Pam
Oct 11, 2012 Pam rated it it was amazing
This book was given to us 9 years ago at our wedding. An amazing devotional to share with your spouse.
Allen Steele
Jul 13, 2015 Allen Steele rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: devotion
This devotional was recommended to us, and was very insightful, I do recommend it for your walk.
Ally
Jan 21, 2012 Ally is currently reading it
The best part of my day is spending time with Jeff every night working through this devotional.
Jen
Jun 04, 2007 Jen rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: couples
Shelves: bible-study
The very first devotion in this book had me crying. Very, very good devotional for couples!
Summer
Mar 27, 2009 Summer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book for couples, I especially love the prayers at the end of each section.
Heather Wilson
Rosanna Gonzales
Dec 27, 2013 Rosanna Gonzales rated it it was amazing
Wonderful !!
brenda farmer
May 11, 2016 brenda farmer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful

Enjoy reading this together and talking about the questions. It was insightful about how we think differently. We are older and still found it useful
  • The Exemplary Husband: A Biblical Perspective
  • Voices of the Faithful
  • The Two Sides of Love
  • Covenant Marriage: Building Communication and Intimacy
  • Life on Planet Mom: A Down-To-Earth Guide to Your Changing Relationships
  • Moments Together For Couples: Devotions for Drawing Near to God and One Another
  • Devotions for a Sacred Marriage: A Year of Weekly Devotions for Couples
  • The Blessing
  • Your Money Counts: The Biblical Guide to Earning, Spending, Saving, Investing, Giving, and Getting Out of Debt
  • Let the Journey Begin: God's Roadmap for New Beginnings
  • The Language of Love and Respect: Cracking the Communication Code with Your Mate
  • The Power of a Praying Husband
  • God's Outrageous Claims: Discover What They Mean for You
  • Raising a Modern Day Knight: A Father's Role in Guiding His Son to Authentic Manhood
  • Teach Them Diligently: How to Use the Scriptures in Child Training
  • Love and War: Finding the Marriage You've Dreamed Of
  • The Man in the Mirror: Solving the 24 Problems Men Face
  • The Maker's Diet
James C. Dobson is a psychologist, commentator, and writer. He is the founder of Focus on the Family, a group advocating what he views as Christian ethics and political conservatism, and hosts a radio program of the same name.
More about James C. Dobson...