Start by marking “A Cotswold Mystery (Thea Osborne, #4)” as Want to Read:
A Cotswold Mystery (Thea Osborne, #4)

A Cotswold Mystery (Thea Osborne #4)

3.31 of 5 stars 3.31  ·  rating details  ·  191 ratings  ·  22 reviews
Despite the catastrophic outcomes of her previous house-sitting commissions, Thea Osborne, accompanied by her trusty spaniel, Hepzie, is truly convinced nothing can go wrong on her next assignment in the charming village of Blockley. But trouble seems to follow Thea and she soon finds herself in the midst of village secrets.
Published October 1st 2008 by Allison & Busby (first published May 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about A Cotswold Mystery, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Cotswold Mystery

JulieLaLa
The setting, the premise, it all sounded promising, but... Too much time spent on the main character's conflicts (feeling old - she's 42!; not connecting with her daughter; not sure about her new relationship), blah, blah, blah! And not just once in the book, but multiple pages devoted to this tripe and not to the murder "mystery". The suspects hardly enter the story, there is no cloak and dagger, no danger to anyone (except the dead guy!). When the mystery is finally wrapped up, it's all a big ...more
Judy
I'm not sure why I even finished reading this book. The main character, Thea, has to be THE most annoying character I've ever come across in any of the mysteries I've read, and I've read a lot of them. I suppose it was because I kept it in my locker and read it while on dinner break - didn't even bother to take it home to finish it. Thea is 44 years old but acts like a peevish old woman. Her job is supposed to be keeping an eye on an old woman and house sitting. She keeps forgetting to set alarm ...more
Jeannie and Louis Rigod
In this mystery, we have the sleuth, Thea whom is house-sitting/elder sitting as her part-time occupation. Joining her in the lovely village of Blockley, U.K. is her daughter, Jessica (who is on probation with the police department.) Also, Thea's Dog, Hepzie is along.

The first mystery is why the 'Granny' is almost locked up within her own home. Next comes along a murder of a nearby, and according to Granny, a beloved neighbor. Then is the mystery of Granny herself, is she 92 yrs old and has lost
Alison C
A Cotswold Mystery is the fourth in Rebecca Tope's series of novels set in Cotswold villages, and to my mind thus far the weakest. Our heroine, 42-year-old house-sitter Thea, is once again staying at the home of a couple while they go off to India; in this instance, the house has an attached cottage in which Gladys, the mother of one of the couple, lives. Gladys is 92 and getting forgetful and perhaps a bit demented - unless that's just an act, of course. Thea is wondering about her relationship ...more
Cheryl
I didn't dislike this but didn't love it either. I did think the narrator did a bang up job and I'm not sure if I would have liked this as much if I'd read it on my own. So kudos for that. And I quite liked the setting and it wasn't a bad mystery either.

I am just not a big fan of over 40 female characters that seem to think that anything over 30 is "old" however, I also don't like it if the same character behaves like a 20 year old. And in a lot of ways that sums up my opinion of Thea. I liked h
Julie
this gets a 3 and a half. i read it from the library, then bought whatever ones i came across or maybe even bought them from amazon. the others have been waiting for me to get round to them. but this is a very enjoyable light mystery series. being set in the cotswolds doesn't hurt at all.
Kathleen Hagen
A Cottswold Mystery, by Rebecca Tope, B-plus, narrated by Caroline Lennon, produced by Isis Audio, downloaded from audible.com.

Thea Osborn takes on various jobs as a house sitter. I think this book is one in a series. Thea takes on this particular house with an added extra suite in which the owner’s mother lives. Thea is told that the grandmother will be no trouble, although she is a little forgetful. The grandmother is in many ways difficult, and Thea has her hands full. Her daughter, Jessica,
Joanna Forbes
The actual mystery wrapped up with so little actual detection it felt like the author had realised the page count had been reached.
Denita
Another great story from Rebecca Tope. I just love this series.
Tracey
The ending felt a bit rushed and unimaginative.
Kirsty Darbyshire
Like the rest of Rebecca Tope's books that I've read this is enjoyable, requires some suspension of belief (like most mysteries do) but not too much, and provides a cast of interesting characters in a location that works well. It's gentle and entertaining, though I did think the conclusion was a bit rushed. I'll no doubt pick up more books in the series in time.
James
This is the second Rebecca Tope novel I've read, and it is nowhere as good as the first one. There are plenty of characters and some possible sub-plots, but these are never really properly developed. Instead, Thea and her daughter Jessica seem to spend most of their time going for walks - which adds to the page count but adds nothing of interest to the story.

Andrew
This plods along in a pleasant enough fashion most of the time. There are some unconvincing outbursts along the way and far too much of a tendency for info-dumps. The setting is not entirely believable although not impossible. I am unlikely to buy any more books by this author although I would read any that I came across.
Karen
I found the plot in this book very weak. Also did not like the fact that you were told the killer way before the end of the book. Also I found that the book end rather abruptly. I did however like the main character Thea and it has left me thinking I would give another book in this series a go.
Sally
She's mixing it up nicely. The last book was told from someone else's point of view, and this mystery is really worked out more by her daughter than herself. I really recommend this series if you like mysteries set in Britain.
Ceri
Yeah ... as with the others, enjoyable ..... someone else has put that they wouldn't buy one but would probably read any others they came across & that probably sums up my feelings about them.
lytteltonwitch
An OK read but not great. Plot is a bit thin. I am only reading this series because I have got to know the Cotswold area fairly well and like to read about places that I know.
Jyv
I would have given this 3 stars as it was pleasant enough read but the hurried ending was a complete disappointment.
Teresa
Another in the easy to read murder mystery series with a good sense of place.
M
May 23, 2012 M rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: crime
I quite enjoyed this, but found the ending strangely unsatisfying.
Sandra
A bit boring. I have read many better books of this type.
Linda Badcock
The ending of this one was unsatisfactory.
Amanda Chambers
Amanda Chambers marked it as to-read
May 03, 2015
Marloes
Marloes marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2015
Rocks
Rocks marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2015
Jill Tool
Jill Tool marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • The Copper Bracelet
  • Something Wicked This Way Comes & A Sound of Thunder
  • Undertow (David Cavanaugh, #1)
  • The Kind One
  • Deceit
  • Of Blood and Sorrow (Tamara Hayle, #8)
  • The Caretaker
  • Bad Friends. Claire Seeber
  • Death Toll (DI Peter Shaw & DS George Valentine #3)
  • The Fault Tree
  • Twice Buried
  • Paper Butterfly (A Mei Wang Mystery, #2)
  • The Last Refuge
  • The Bad Mother
  • Hidden River
  • The Tale of Cuckoo Brow Wood (The Cottage Tales of Beatrix Potter, #3)
  • A Spoonful of Poison (Agatha Raisin,  #19)
  • Frantic (Detective Ella Marconi #1)
Rebecca Tope grew up on a farm and has held a wide variety of jobs, such as pre-natal instructor, marriage counselor, and funeral director, all of which have taught her a great deal about human nature. In 1992, she founded Praxis Books, a small British press.
More about Rebecca Tope...

Thea Osborne (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • A Cotswold Killing (Thea Osborne, #1)
  • A Cotswold Ordeal (Thea Osborne, #2)
  • Death in the Cotswolds (Thea Osborne, #3)
  • Blood in the Cotswolds (Thea Osborne, #5)
  • Slaughter in the Cotswolds (Thea Osborne, #6)
  • Fear in the Cotswolds (Thea Osborne, #7)
  • A Grave in the Cotswolds (Drew Slocombe, #5; Thea Osborne, #8)
  • Deception in the Cotswolds (Thea Osborne, #9)
  • Malice in the Cotswolds (Thea Osborne, #10)
  • Shadows in the Cotswolds (Thea Osborne, #11)
A Cotswold Killing (Thea Osborne, #1) A Cotswold Ordeal (Thea Osborne, #2) Death in the Cotswolds (Thea Osborne, #3) Blood in the Cotswolds (Thea Osborne, #5) Slaughter in the Cotswolds (Thea Osborne, #6)