Start by marking “Lost in the Labyrinth” as Want to Read:
Lost in the Labyrinth

Lost in the Labyrinth

Last night I saw my sister, who is dead. She stood at the end of a long corridor, weeping. “Can it really be you, Ariadne, come back after all this time?” I whispered. She did not answer, but began slowly to sink through the floor.

Princess Xenodice is content to spend her days tending to the animals in the royal menagerie, haunting the workshop of a beautiful young man nam
Published September 26th 2005 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published August 26th 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Lost in the Labyrinth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lost in the Labyrinth

Margaret
Princess Xenodice belongs to the royal family of Crete. Her parents are King Minos and Queen Pasiphae, her older sister is Ariadne, and her younger brother Asterius, half-man and half-bull, lives in the center of the Labyrinth, where Xenodice visits him often. She also loves to visit the inventor Daedalus and his dreamy son Icarus, whom she loves. When the Athenian Theseus arrives as part of that year's tribute, Ariadne falls in love with him, and Xenodice must figure out how to navigate the maz ...more
Phair
Different take on the story of Theseus and the Minotaur where the latter is almost the hero or at least the sympathetic center figure rather than the villain/monster. Told from the Cretan perspective. Ultimately a sad book with lots of death and disappointment all around. Can't really say it was memorable- the ending was a bit fuzzy. Felt I was left with much unfinished & uncertain. Definitely not my favorite Kindl
Megan
Jan 20, 2012 Megan rated it it was ok
Shelves: young-adult, 2012
I was hoping this would be like Caroline B. Cooney's Goddess of Yesterday meets Owl in Love, a Patrice Kindl book I loved as a kid, but it was disappointingly bland. The opening image -- of Ariadne's ghost descending into Hades as her sister watches -- is so arresting, and the rest of the book is such a paint-by-numbers "supposed hero is actually an ass, as observed by plain but clever middle sister."
Jessica
Jan 16, 2008 Jessica rated it liked it
Shelves: kidlit
An interesting, and more historical, take on the story of Theseus and the Mintaur from the point of view of Xenodice, one of the royal family of Knossos. I would have liked more character development, particularly to illuminate the motives of King Minos and Queen Pasiphae. At only 185 pages, Kindl had plenty of room to give us more, more, more!
Nikki
Nov 16, 2012 Nikki rated it really liked it
One of those stories where you know there will be no happy ending, but you love it anyways. This gave a new perspective to the old tales of the Minotaur, Icarus and Theseus. Quick read but devastating.
April Sarah
Aug 27, 2010 April Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
It didn't quiet know what I was getting myself into when I started this book but in the end I found myself caught in the web of mythology that I love so much.
Lillian
Jan 23, 2017 Lillian rated it really liked it
Fantastic and well put together! I loved this story, but WEH! Why are all the characters so stupid?! I can't believe that Xenodice lets her sisters walk all over her! She doesn't know how to stand up for herself at all. D:
Grace
Nov 05, 2010 Grace rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy-or-syfy
Mara
Cover Blurb: It’s so-so. It caught my attention because clearly it dealt with Ancient times. I like how the labyrinth is carved into the face. But other than that, it doesn’t have too much effect either way.

What I Liked: Asterius is probably one of the more likable portrayals of the Minotaur that I’ve read. I found it easy to understand Xenodice’s attachment to him. This made it even easier to really dislike the people who were mean to him and Xenodice - Ariadne especially. It was interesting to
Corinne
Lost in the Labyrinth is the retelling of the Greek myth of Asterius (the Minotaur) and Theseus. Kindl does a great job of setting up ancient Greece for us - the political intrigue, the lavishness of the palace, the relationship between the people and the Gods. We follow the story through the character of Xenodice, one of the daughters of the queen - an interesting point of view, since she a very minor part in a story of betrayals, murder and escapes, with several well-known Greeks (namely, Daed ...more
Claire
Feb 21, 2017 Claire rated it liked it
I am not rating this as a three star because of the writing; it should easily deserve a four star rating. However, it is so sad. Even knowing what will happen, it made my heart ache to read. I appreciated the unique perspective of events.
Lia
Aug 14, 2011 Lia rated it liked it
This is a retelling of Ariadne, Theseus, the Minotaur, Daedalus, and Icarus. I think something major happened in the author's life when she was 14, as I've noticed in three of her books (Owl in Love, Woman in the Wall, Lost in the Labyrinth), the main character has her "coming to herself" at age 14, along with an intense crush that gets put into perspective in one way or another later on.

Now, the other two of the three books were very weird reads: compelling and enjoyable. This book was ... lim
Terri
Mar 30, 2010 Terri rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book very much, but I suspect it was largely because I have a strong interest and background in mythology. Kudos to Kindl for handling the origin of the minotaur tactfully, cleverly changing the half man/half bull from the product of the Minoan queen's lust for a beautiful white bull into a gift from the Minoan goddess. Since the Minoan culture revered the bull, it was an easy sanitizing of the bestiality inherent in the original Greek tale. Having visited the ruins at Knossos, I ...more
Matia
Sep 16, 2011 Matia rated it liked it
Lost in the Labyrinth is set in a Greek mythological setting. Summary: “Fourteen-year old Princess Xenodice tries to prevent the death of her half-brother, the Minotaur, at the hands of the Athenian prince, Theseus, who is aid by Icarus, Daedalus and her sister Ariadne.” I hope I cannot be accused of writing a spoiler by saying you cannot expect an overwhelmingly happy ending with these characters, but you would not know your Greek mythology if you expected one. I think the dynamic between Xenod ...more
Dayna Smith
A wonderful re-telling of two famous myths from a very different point of view. Xenodice is the daughter of King Minos and Queen Pasiphae. Her brother is the fabled Minotaur and she is in love with Icarus, whose father built the labyrinth. The myths of Thesus and the Minotaur and Daedalus and Icarus are re-told from Xenodice's point of view. An extraordinary tale from a very strange point of view; which is Kindl's typical style. A must read for lovers of Greek mythology.
Aug 14, 2013 Jennifer rated it it was ok
Not the amazingness I expect from Kindl. The subject matter was pretty dour, but even still the dialogue felt like a poor translation--awkward and not well-written. I suppose she was trying to make it sound exotic, but it didn't work very well for me. Well, you can't win 'em all, but I'm pretty disappointed.
Barbara
This is another in the mythology turned fiction genre I've been reading. It's definitely YA, not children's. The writing is good and the story interesting. First person format from the point of view of the brother of the Minotaur (as in Theseus and the Minotaur). I liked the way all the characters interconnected. A step up from the Percy Jackson and the Olympians series.
Karen
Nov 25, 2013 Karen rated it really liked it
Shelves: historical
Imaginative retelling of the Minotaur legend, author Patrice Kindle melds the archeological findings of the labyrynthine palace of Knossos found on Crete with the Greek legend. Told from the point of view of a younger Cretan princess, an observer and participant in the story, it is a well-written historical fiction novel set in the ancient world.
Anita
Nov 24, 2009 Anita rated it liked it
Firstly, the Kindle version of this book SUCKS. 70% of the commas were replaced with periods which makes for very stilted reading. I loved her first two books, Woman in the Wall being one of my favorites, but this one fell short. It's an interesting take on the Minotaur myth, but it's not as magical and sweet as her other books.
Regina
Oct 04, 2011 Regina rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2010-before
Jo
Nov 09, 2010 Jo rated it really liked it
Good story and a good pace until the end. It seemed rushed, and it felt like she was saying and then this happened and then this and so on. I did enjoy that she tied up all the loose ends and didn't leave the reader guessing what happened to the characters. She stayed (mostly) true to the myth which was a bonus.
Todd
Story set in Ancient Crete. Girl, tomboyish, is youngest daughter in royal family. In this civilization women rule, which is always interesting.
Version of the myth of the maze and the Minotaur…
Asenath
May 12, 2009 Asenath rated it liked it
Shelves: ya-lit
Audrey Hacker
Dec 09, 2010 Audrey Hacker rated it it was amazing
I love this book!!! it is a great take on the myth that we all know Thesus and the Minotaur. I love how it plays out what actually might have happened. There is a little romance in there but its not to overwhelming. If you love mythology this is a must read.
Samantha
Mar 02, 2012 Samantha rated it really liked it
This book was really neat. It was about mythology (can't remember... Greek? Roman?) with Deadalus and his son and the Minotaur. It was very cool and told in such a way you felt like you were there. Great emotions and strong characters. I'd read it again. It was very real and straightforward.
Ethenielle
once again, this story had a lot of potential--for who doesn't love a good greek myth? It had such a lovely arch and climax, building up to something that could have been awesome, but it just sort of ended.
Janine
Jan 16, 2010 Janine rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mythology
The book was really good!!
Arya
Jul 28, 2009 Arya rated it liked it
A fair book. I love Theseus (he is my favorite Greek hero) so all in all not my favorite retelling of the Minotaur Myth...but good...
Afton Nelson
May 19, 2012 Afton Nelson rated it liked it
Shelves: juvenile
Greek myth and the island of Crete are brought to life in this fascinating story. Not my favorite Kindl, but engaging, dramatic, and, of course Greekishly tragic nonetheless.
Cinnamon
A really good fictionalization of the labyrinth and Minotaur myths. Recommendable.
  • Quiver
  • Goddess of Yesterday
  • Aphrodite's Blessings: Love Stories from the Greek Myths
  • Ithaka
  • Iris, Messenger
  • Snakehead
  • The Moon Riders (Moon Riders, #1)
  • The Fire of Ares (Spartan Warrior, #1)
  • Thin Wood Walls
  • Dusssie
  • Adaline Falling Star (Scholastic Signature)
  • Free Baseball
  • Born to Fly
  • Water Tales: Aquamarine and Indigo
  • Anatopsis
  • Cupid: A Tale of Love and Desire
  • The Squire's Quest (The Squire's Tales, #9)
  • The Luck of the Buttons
Childhood:
I was born in Alplaus New York in 1951, the youngest of four daughters. My father is a mechanical engineer, my mother a housewife. My family is very nice – I like them all a lot. As a child I loved animals and read obsessively.
We had (still have) a family cottage on Lake George. The people who live next door are life-long friends. On summer weekdays during my childhood there were ten fem
More about Patrice Kindl...