Start by marking “Lost in the Labyrinth” as Want to Read:
Lost in the Labyrinth

Lost in the Labyrinth

3.31 of 5 stars 3.31  ·  rating details  ·  300 ratings  ·  38 reviews
From the deepest layer of the Labyrinth under the Royal Palace to the topmost floor of the prison tower, this enthralling version of the myth of the maze and the Minotaur by master storyteller Patrice Kindl is filled with the marvelous and the strange.
Published September 26th 2005 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published August 26th 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Lost in the Labyrinth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lost in the Labyrinth

The Lightning Thief by Rick RiordanThe Last Olympian by Rick RiordanThe Sea of Monsters by Rick RiordanThe Battle of the Labyrinth by Rick RiordanThe Titan's Curse by Rick Riordan
YA Books on Greek Mythology
21st out of 85 books — 113 voters
The Lightning Thief by Rick RiordanThe Lost Hero by Rick RiordanThe Son of Neptune by Rick RiordanThe Mark of Athena by Rick RiordanThe Sea of Monsters by Rick Riordan
YA mythology books
45th out of 66 books — 46 voters

More lists with this book...

Margaret
Princess Xenodice belongs to the royal family of Crete. Her parents are King Minos and Queen Pasiphae, her older sister is Ariadne, and her younger brother Asterius, half-man and half-bull, lives in the center of the Labyrinth, where Xenodice visits him often. She also loves to visit the inventor Daedalus and his dreamy son Icarus, whom she loves. When the Athenian Theseus arrives as part of that year's tribute, Ariadne falls in love with him, and Xenodice must figure out how to navigate the maz ...more
Jessica
An interesting, and more historical, take on the story of Theseus and the Mintaur from the point of view of Xenodice, one of the royal family of Knossos. I would have liked more character development, particularly to illuminate the motives of King Minos and Queen Pasiphae. At only 185 pages, Kindl had plenty of room to give us more, more, more!
Nikki
One of those stories where you know there will be no happy ending, but you love it anyways. This gave a new perspective to the old tales of the Minotaur, Icarus and Theseus. Quick read but devastating.
Grace
Mara
Cover Blurb: It’s so-so. It caught my attention because clearly it dealt with Ancient times. I like how the labyrinth is carved into the face. But other than that, it doesn’t have too much effect either way.

What I Liked: Asterius is probably one of the more likable portrayals of the Minotaur that I’ve read. I found it easy to understand Xenodice’s attachment to him. This made it even easier to really dislike the people who were mean to him and Xenodice - Ariadne especially. It was interesting to
Corinne
Lost in the Labyrinth is the retelling of the Greek myth of Asterius (the Minotaur) and Theseus. Kindl does a great job of setting up ancient Greece for us - the political intrigue, the lavishness of the palace, the relationship between the people and the Gods. We follow the story through the character of Xenodice, one of the daughters of the queen - an interesting point of view, since she a very minor part in a story of betrayals, murder and escapes, with several well-known Greeks (namely, Daed ...more
Lia
This is a retelling of Ariadne, Theseus, the Minotaur, Daedalus, and Icarus. I think something major happened in the author's life when she was 14, as I've noticed in three of her books (Owl in Love, Woman in the Wall, Lost in the Labyrinth), the main character has her "coming to herself" at age 14, along with an intense crush that gets put into perspective in one way or another later on.

Now, the other two of the three books were very weird reads: compelling and enjoyable. This book was ... lim
Terri
I enjoyed this book very much, but I suspect it was largely because I have a strong interest and background in mythology. Kudos to Kindl for handling the origin of the minotaur tactfully, cleverly changing the half man/half bull from the product of the Minoan queen's lust for a beautiful white bull into a gift from the Minoan goddess. Since the Minoan culture revered the bull, it was an easy sanitizing of the bestiality inherent in the original Greek tale. Having visited the ruins at Knossos, I ...more
Matia
Lost in the Labyrinth is set in a Greek mythological setting. Summary: “Fourteen-year old Princess Xenodice tries to prevent the death of her half-brother, the Minotaur, at the hands of the Athenian prince, Theseus, who is aid by Icarus, Daedalus and her sister Ariadne.” I hope I cannot be accused of writing a spoiler by saying you cannot expect an overwhelmingly happy ending with these characters, but you would not know your Greek mythology if you expected one. I think the dynamic between Xenod ...more
Dayna Smith
A wonderful re-telling of two famous myths from a very different point of view. Xenodice is the daughter of King Minos and Queen Pasiphae. Her brother is the fabled Minotaur and she is in love with Icarus, whose father built the labyrinth. The myths of Thesus and the Minotaur and Daedalus and Icarus are re-told from Xenodice's point of view. An extraordinary tale from a very strange point of view; which is Kindl's typical style. A must read for lovers of Greek mythology.
Phair
Different take on the story of Theseus and the Minotaur where the latter is almost the hero or at least the sympathetic center figure rather than the villain/monster. Told from the Cretan perspective. Ultimately a sad book with lots of death and disappointment all around. Can't really say it was memorable- the ending was a bit fuzzy. Felt I was left with much unfinished & uncertain. Definitely not my favorite Kindl
Megan
I was hoping this would be like Caroline B. Cooney's Goddess of Yesterday meets Owl in Love, a Patrice Kindl book I loved as a kid, but it was disappointingly bland. The opening image -- of Ariadne's ghost descending into Hades as her sister watches -- is so arresting, and the rest of the book is such a paint-by-numbers "supposed hero is actually an ass, as observed by plain but clever middle sister."
Regina
Barbara
This is another in the mythology turned fiction genre I've been reading. It's definitely YA, not children's. The writing is good and the story interesting. First person format from the point of view of the brother of the Minotaur (as in Theseus and the Minotaur). I liked the way all the characters interconnected. A step up from the Percy Jackson and the Olympians series.
Karen
Imaginative retelling of the Minotaur legend, author Patrice Kindle melds the archeological findings of the labyrynthine palace of Knossos found on Crete with the Greek legend. Told from the point of view of a younger Cretan princess, an observer and participant in the story, it is a well-written historical fiction novel set in the ancient world.
Anita
Firstly, the Kindle version of this book SUCKS. 70% of the commas were replaced with periods which makes for very stilted reading. I loved her first two books, Woman in the Wall being one of my favorites, but this one fell short. It's an interesting take on the Minotaur myth, but it's not as magical and sweet as her other books.
Jo
Good story and a good pace until the end. It seemed rushed, and it felt like she was saying and then this happened and then this and so on. I did enjoy that she tied up all the loose ends and didn't leave the reader guessing what happened to the characters. She stayed (mostly) true to the myth which was a bonus.
Not the amazingness I expect from Kindl. The subject matter was pretty dour, but even still the dialogue felt like a poor translation--awkward and not well-written. I suppose she was trying to make it sound exotic, but it didn't work very well for me. Well, you can't win 'em all, but I'm pretty disappointed.
Samantha
This book was really neat. It was about mythology (can't remember... Greek? Roman?) with Deadalus and his son and the Minotaur. It was very cool and told in such a way you felt like you were there. Great emotions and strong characters. I'd read it again. It was very real and straightforward.
Audrey
I love this book!!! it is a great take on the myth that we all know Thesus and the Minotaur. I love how it plays out what actually might have happened. There is a little romance in there but its not to overwhelming. If you love mythology this is a must read.
Asenath
Todd
Story set in Ancient Crete. Girl, tomboyish, is youngest daughter in royal family. In this civilization women rule, which is always interesting.
Version of the myth of the maze and the Minotaur…
Ethenielle
once again, this story had a lot of potential--for who doesn't love a good greek myth? It had such a lovely arch and climax, building up to something that could have been awesome, but it just sort of ended.
Afton Nelson
Greek myth and the island of Crete are brought to life in this fascinating story. Not my favorite Kindl, but engaging, dramatic, and, of course Greekishly tragic nonetheless.
Liras
Myths hold truths. This retelling of the Minotaur story was poignant and rich in detail. I felt both sorrow and a sense of relief at how the story ended.
April Sarah
It didn't quiet know what I was getting myself into when I started this book but in the end I found myself caught in the web of mythology that I love so much.
Arya
A fair book. I love Theseus (he is my favorite Greek hero) so all in all not my favorite retelling of the Minotaur Myth...but good...
Allison Leslie Gepte
I so love Greek Mythology. This books seems like it's really part of the ancient myths of the greeks. Page-turner and filled with info's..
Miriam

(by Emil Alzamora)
  • Quiver
  • Goddess of Yesterday
  • Aphrodite's Blessings: Love Stories from the Greek Myths
  • Ithaka
  • The Fire of Ares (Spartan Warrior, #1)
  • Iris, Messenger
  • Snakehead
  • The Moon Riders (Moon Riders, #1)
  • Have a Hot Time, Hades! (Myth-O-Mania, #1)
  • Born to Fly
  • The Squire's Quest (The Squire's Tales, #9)
  • Cupid: A Tale of Love and Desire
  • Beauty's Daughter: The Story of Hermione and Helen of Troy
  • Water Tales: Aquamarine and Indigo
  • Thin Wood Walls
  • Adaline Falling Star (Scholastic Signature)
  • Pandora Gets Angry (Mythic Misadventures #5)
  • Zen and Xander Undone
Childhood:
I was born in Alplaus New York in 1951, the youngest of four daughters. My father is a mechanical engineer, my mother a housewife. My family is very nice – I like them all a lot. As a child I loved animals and read obsessively.
We had (still have) a family cottage on Lake George. The people who live next door are life-long friends. On summer weekdays during my childhood there were ten fem
More about Patrice Kindl...
Goose Chase Keeping the Castle The Woman in the Wall Owl in Love A School for Brides: A Story of Maidens, Mystery, and Matrimony