Goodreads helps you keep track of books you want to read.
Start by marking “Before I Forget” as Want to Read:
Before I Forget
Enlarge cover
Rate this book
Clear rating
Open Preview

Before I Forget

by
3.83  ·  Rating Details ·  1,131 Ratings  ·  95 Reviews
Abby's memories are her most precious thing.

Even though they're sometimes painful, she can't stop herself looking back, reliving the love of her life.

Until a freak accident means that she could lose it all: every memory and experience she has ever had.

Abby can't believe it's true. She feels fine. She is fine. How could she possibly forget all those moments that make her
...more
Paperback, 341 pages
Published July 9th 2009 by Hodder & Stoughton (first published 2009)
More Details... edit details

Friend Reviews

To see what your friends thought of this book, please sign up.

Reader Q&A

To ask other readers questions about Before I Forget, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Before I Forget

Community Reviews

(showing 1-30)
filter  |  sort: default (?)  |  Rating Details
Margarida
Mar 17, 2013 Margarida rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ganhei este livro num passatempo. Não conhecia a autora e quando resolvi começar a lê-lo, confesso que não tinha grandes expectativas. Não era bem o meu estilo, mas quando comecei a ler…

Foi sem dúvida uma agradável surpresa! Foi um “daqueles” livros! Prende do princípio ao fim e o simples facto de ter de o pousar, de interromper a sua leitura tornava-se, a cada página, mais difícil!

É um livro que fala de memórias e/ou da perda delas. Um livro que me tocou especialmente e também me trouxe algumas
...more
Xana
May 16, 2013 Xana rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mãe-leu
Nunca tinha lido nada de Melissa Hill.
Embora a escrita dela seja fluída, e a premissa do livro ser interessante, não podia dar mais estrelas porque, verdadeiramente, foi um livro que não me encantou.
Custou um pedacinho a arrancar, +/- algures na página 100 tornou-se mais agradável de ler, mas falta-lhe qualquer coisa!
Alaisse Amehana
Da http://labellaeilcavaliere.blogspot.i...

Quando ho finito di leggere questo libro avevo gli occhi a cuoricino, e non solo per modo di dire. Se mi avessero scattato una foto avrebbero potuto basare un nuovo Stregatto su di me, tanto era ampio il mio ghigno soddisfatto.
Ma andiamo alla storia.
Abby è appena uscita da una relazione molto intensa e molto soffocante con Kieran, l’uomo della sua vita, l’uomo che non potrà dimenticare finché ops, non le cade una tegola in testa. E no, in realtà di lu
...more
Yara Essam
We always have to be careful when we make a wish. Abby Ryan was so pathetic about her boyfriend who broke up with her after quite a long relationship, and wished to forget him and everything she’d been through with him. As the book goes on, you learn how much she depended on him. Sadly, her wish had really happened; she was hit by falling debris when she was walking under a ladder on her way to work and has lost much of her long-term memory. Abby can't believe it's true. She feels fine. She eve ...more
Xanthia
Mar 28, 2009 Xanthia rated it it was amazing
It made me cry. I love it!

Can you imagine waking up one day discovering that you have the possibility to lose big chunks of your memories; therefore, your life? and if you can hold on to just one memory, what would it be and what would you do if you can't hold unto it?

Abby just lost Keiran, a man who she gave all his whole heart to for 5 years.. yet, crushed it into pieces saying that they were never meant to be and six months after married another girl..

Finn is picking up the pieces of himself
...more
Sara
Jun 28, 2011 Sara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Um livro fantástico em que nem se nota o virar das páginas.
Chloe
Dec 04, 2009 Chloe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Abby Ryan is quite happy with life, but all that changes when she’s hit by falling debris when she’s walking under a ladder on her way to work.

When she awakes, she finds out that her memory is damaged, and that she has lost much of her long-term memory. She’s devastated, but also slightly in denial. So Abby sets about creating some new, fantastic memories with the help of her family and close friends, ones that she hopes she will be able to hold onto despite her declining health.

On her amazing a
...more
Luisa Rumolo
3.5 stelle. Un libro scorrevole e piacevole da leggere (in particolare per chi ama le storie alla "50 volte il primo bacio"), non troppo impegnativo ma nemmeno del tutto scontato. Ho apprezzato lo stile di scrittura dell'autrice soprattutto nei capitoli iniziali, quando vengono introdotti per la prima volta Abby e Finn: mi è piaciuta l'idea di far credere che Abby stesse andando al proprio matrimonio e Finn alla consegna dei diplomi dei propri figli, con una certa Lucy, apparentemente sua moglie ...more
Lobo
Jul 16, 2011 Lobo rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Melissa Hill eddigi regényeiben amik magyarul is elérhetők voltak mindig volt valami váratlan fordulat, ami kiemelte írásait a szokványos chick lit regények közül és nem csak meglepetést okozott, de el is gondolkodtatott. Ezért a regényéért mégse törtem magam annyira, mert valahogy nem fogott meg a történet, amit a hátulján olvastam.

Ráadásul a regény elején a főszereplőnő nagyon idegesítő volt. Abby azon siránkozik, hogy elhagyta nagy szerelme, ráadásul mást vesz feleségül és teljesen egyértelmű
...more
Vale (BooksAndTea58)
Jan 12, 2014 Vale (BooksAndTea58) rated it it was amazing
I LOVED THIS BOOK. IS A SWEET, HEART-WARMING STORY ABOUT LOVE. IT TAUGHT ME THAT, EVEN IF WE HAVE TO DEAL WITH TONS OF PROBLEMS IN OUR LIFE, IF WE HAVE SOMEONE BY OUR SIDE WHO LOVES US, THE BATTLE IS WORTH THE FIGHT.

I started this book and I wasn't expecting much but, in the end, it turned out to be a really great book. Abby is the example that when someone has just broken your heart in a thousand little pieces, you need something EXTRAORDINARY to happen to you. Well, I am not sure if I would ca
...more
Lee
Apr 05, 2016 Lee rated it really liked it
Shelves: library
You know I love Melissa Hill mainly because you always feel good after you finish one of her books. This story was the same. Its starts off Abby is devastated because her long term boyfriend Kieran has dumped her. Her friend Erin tries to get her to go on holiday with her and another friend to Dubai for some girly time but Abby doesn't want to, she is too busy wallowing and now really late for work. As she is rushing out the door for work, she walks under a ladder and is hit on the head by a sla ...more
Sveta
Feb 12, 2015 Sveta rated it really liked it
The Book is Ahhhhhhhhhhhhmazinngg..!!

I saw the book on Amazon and felt like it is a kinda book I should not miss and
while reading the book I Sometimes saw me on Abby.The way she fought and moved on in life gave me kinda..positivity and Smile on My Face.. Finn..Lucy..
All the characters are now so close to my Heart that I feel All of them live somewhere around me and even If I have completed the book.. I have a feeling that I will meet them tomorrow for sure.

The Best part is.. I donno If I am re
...more
Arttemizza
Gostei do tema e certa forma fez-me lembrar um pouco o filme “a minha namorada tem amnésia”. A protagonista é Abby, uma jovem que se após ter sido abandonada pelo namorado se refugiou no trabalho e que afastou de si todas as pessoas que se preocupavam com ela, entrando assim num estado depressivo. No entanto, devido a um acidente esta sofre um traumatismo craniano que lhe ameaça “roubar” algumas das sua memórias. Decide então embarcar numa jornada de “luta” pela preservação das suas recordações ...more
Ulya
Dec 26, 2011 Ulya rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned, read-2011
Must be something in the air. This is the second story related to bucket list that i've come across this week. Hmm..

The story is about Abby, who was pretty devastated after she was dumped by her long-time boyfriend. She started absorbing herself in her work & avoiding family/friends. One day she had an accident, causing injury to the head specifically where the memory function is. At first, she tried to deny it but one day she played the piano without ever remembering learning it. It initia
...more
Triduana
Apr 10, 2013 Triduana rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013-books
I got this from the library as I was after a quick read that I didn't have to think too much about. In this respect I wasn't disappointed: it was light-hearted and enjoyable enough and easy to follow.

I wasn't really fond of the main character though, I found her a little irritating and whiny. The story was a nice idea though, particularly the list Abby makes in order to try and preserve her memories, but I really thought the ending was a let down. (view spoiler)
...more
Tania Martins
Aug 29, 2012 Tania Martins rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This review has been hidden because it contains spoilers. To view it, click here.
Filipa
Aug 19, 2012 Filipa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Escrita fácil e fluída, é um livro muito bom de ler. Rapidamente somos transportados para dentro do livro, como se nada existisse à nossa volta. Debrua-se sobre um tema interessante e faz-nos pensar "e se nos acontecesse a nós?". A magnifica viagem a Paris de Abby e Finn é um autentico sonho para qualquer mulher, por mim falo. Este livro é uma história de amor mesmo bonita e o Finn é maravilhoso! :) Gostei mesmo muito de o ter lido. Foi o primeiro livro da Melissa Hill que li mas certamente não ...more
Menna
Jun 08, 2014 Menna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
i really enjoyed the book although the start was not as interesting as i had hoped.
appy has not been the easiest person to deal with in the past few years but with a family like hers anyperson no matter wat is he going through or wat is his personalty is(even if he is as horrible as kirean) will open up and be the most enjoyable person ever.
quick note she canm gain all the info that finn deleted by some programs found nowadays or at least lets just hope that kirean had a backup on his computer.
F
...more
melissa
Feb 08, 2010 melissa rated it liked it
After breaking up with her boyfriend, the main character suffers a head injury which causes her to lose bits of her memory. The rest of the book is about her trying to learn how to live with her new injury. I enjoyed this one, even if I found it predictable in parts. I saw the end coming, although I really wasn’t sure how we were going to get there. Some of the characters I found two dimensional, but I enjoyed her interactions with them none the less. I like the idea of her ‘bucket list’. I thin ...more
Kathy
Sep 13, 2015 Kathy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a great book. I really enjoyed the time spent with Finn and Abby

This is a story about true love. Abby has a lot to learn about an accident which causes her to not remember. She has to learn how to live her life without a relationship she had been in for several years. Then she meets Finn. The journey they travel is not easy. Unconditional love and respect is the path they choose
Jenna
Jul 07, 2010 Jenna rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The entirety of this book irritated me, I think. The characters weren't really likeable, any of them really, and the main character spent most of her time whining, or being too miserable for me to even care about. I understand she was having a tough time, but it made me not care for her at all. The twist near the end also through me off, and confused me a little, and not in a good way, and really, I didn't think it was necessary.
Alison
Jan 05, 2010 Alison rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Melissa Hill gets glowing reader reviews on Amazon but I thought this book was extremely mediocre. I think an average 12 year old could read it - it's written in that 'and then she said' and 'then she...' style which I find tedious. I couldn't even finish it I got so bored - with books like this I usually skim read the last half to see what happens, but I haven't even bothered doing that with this one!
Rachel
Feb 03, 2014 Rachel rated it it was amazing
I really loved this book, it was a little slow in areas but that didn't matter because the story needed it. The last 5 chapters I read all at once (I usually only do 1 or 2 at a time as I'm an incredibly slow reader) as I was desperate to find out how it was going to end.
I think if you have never experienced true heartbreak you may not get on with Abby but I liked her and related to her a little.
Overall thrilled with this book.
Ayu Ikhwani
Anyone other than me who thinks this book is like the more serious version of the movie "50 First Dates"?!

Still.. I liked the book. Its kinda scary thinking that though the brain is one of the major organs of a human being, a thick skull can't really prevent anything bad happening to it. I can't imagine how I'd feel if I knew I'd lose most of my short term memories and gradually, all my other memories..

*shudders*


Helen Quarles
Happily ever after but it took so long

I"m sorry but when I read romance I want beautiful people, romance and a LITTLE drama. This book is about a young woman who suffers brain injury in a freak accident. She isn't particularly attractive and it takes several years for the story to play out. I just finished it and I think I turned 100!
anne
Dec 23, 2012 anne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: borrowed
I wish to give this book a 3.8 actually. I gave 4 because of the story line..super love the story line. I think it's amazing that there's one surprise after another. Second half of the book makes it hard for me to put down the book but I'm a bit disappointed with the ending though. I somehow hope Melissa prolong the ending.
Rachel Gilbey
Dec 24, 2013 Rachel Gilbey rated it it was amazing
Unputdownable! Unforgetable!

Easily one of the most gripping books I've read by Melissa Hill. I could barely put it down.

That being said, I was getting distinct feelings of deja-vu as I read this book, as I found there were quite a few similarities between Before I Forget and the film 50 First Dates.

Brilliant book, very glad I've read it
Roberta Capizzi
Jul 14, 2013 Roberta Capizzi rated it it was amazing
Looooooved this book! Unusual plot but beautiful story, with an emotional and touching happy ending.
I love Finn. And he's Irish, as a bonus :)
And Abby is a super cute and totally relatable heroine.
I was pleasantly surprised. I didn't expect to love this book so much and I'm glad I was wrong. I won't forget it :)
Adeem AlHassan
What I liked the most in this novel was the optimism in her, the strength to never give up! Even though doctors didn’t give her any hope! She ignored the negativity of life. She believed in herself. Hope, faith and belief that’s all we need to get through any hard time in life. Also it made me realize that (Every problem has a solution), That’s it.
BookAmbler
An interesting premise but probably a mistake to read it straight after a book full of beautifully written prose (The Secret Scripture). The contrast in language was huge, and highlighted this as very much a chick-lit offering.

However... it was easy to turn the pages and I did enjoy it overall.

Made me want to read Before I Go to Sleep , for comparison.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 next »
There are no discussion topics on this book yet. Be the first to start one »
  • Forgive And Forget
  • All for You
  • Rsvp
  • Hidden
  • Pastures New
  • Gallery Girl
  • The Yorkshire Pudding Club
  • Confetti Confidential (Isabel Bookbinder #3)
  • Coming Home
  • Wrapped Up in You
  • Still Thinking Of You
  • Life Over Easy
  • First We Take Manhattan
  • The Bells of Bournville Green (Chocolate Girls #2)
  • The Venetian House
  • Gypsy
  • S.O.S. Amore
334579
International #1 bestselling author Melissa Hill lives in Dublin and is one of Ireland's most popular contemporary fiction authors.

Her page-turning, contemporary romance stories are published worldwide and translated into 25 different languages. Her titles are regular chart-toppers in Ireland and internationally and SOMETHING FROM TIFFANY'S (aka A GIFT FROM TIFFANY'S) became one of Italy's 2011 To
...more
More about Melissa Hill...

Share This Book