Start by marking “Before I Forget” as Want to Read:
Before I Forget

Before I Forget

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  793 ratings  ·  76 reviews
Abby's memories are her most precious thing.

Even though they're sometimes painful, she can't stop herself looking back, reliving the love of her life.

Until a freak accident means that she could lose it all: every memory and experience she has ever had.

Abby can't believe it's true. She feels fine. She is fine. How could she possibly forget all those moments that make her...more
Paperback
Published July 9th 2009 by Hodder & Stoughton (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Before I Forget, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Before I Forget

Margarida
Ganhei este livro num passatempo. Não conhecia a autora e quando resolvi começar a lê-lo, confesso que não tinha grandes expectativas. Não era bem o meu estilo, mas quando comecei a ler…

Foi sem dúvida uma agradável surpresa! Foi um “daqueles” livros! Prende do princípio ao fim e o simples facto de ter de o pousar, de interromper a sua leitura tornava-se, a cada página, mais difícil!

É um livro que fala de memórias e/ou da perda delas. Um livro que me tocou especialmente e também me trouxe algumas...more
Yara Essam
We always have to be careful when we make a wish. Abby Ryan was so pathetic about her boyfriend who broke up with her after quite a long relationship, and wished to forget him and everything she’d been through with him. As the book goes on, you learn how much she depended on him. Sadly, her wish had really happened; she was hit by falling debris when she was walking under a ladder on her way to work and has lost much of her long-term memory. Abby can't believe it's true. She feels fine. She eve...more
Alaisse Amehana
Da http://labellaeilcavaliere.blogspot.i...

Quando ho finito di leggere questo libro avevo gli occhi a cuoricino, e non solo per modo di dire. Se mi avessero scattato una foto avrebbero potuto basare un nuovo Stregatto su di me, tanto era ampio il mio ghigno soddisfatto.
Ma andiamo alla storia.
Abby è appena uscita da una relazione molto intensa e molto soffocante con Kieran, l’uomo della sua vita, l’uomo che non potrà dimenticare finché ops, non le cade una tegola in testa. E no, in realtà di lu...more
Xanthia
It made me cry. I love it!

Can you imagine waking up one day discovering that you have the possibility to lose big chunks of your memories; therefore, your life? and if you can hold on to just one memory, what would it be and what would you do if you can't hold unto it?

Abby just lost Keiran, a man who she gave all his whole heart to for 5 years.. yet, crushed it into pieces saying that they were never meant to be and six months after married another girl..

Finn is picking up the pieces of himself...more
Hella
When for the first time I saw this book, I was sure that it was one of that kind of novels super-sweet, with incredible events and sentimentality a go-go. Instead, it pleasantly surprised me.
Abby's life is always on the run. After her bad split with Kieran, her boyfriend, she is completely devoted to work and doesn't have time for family or friends. Bt one day, when she is running at work, she has an accident. When she wakes up in the hospital, she discovers that her memory won't be ever again t...more
Alison
Melissa Hill gets glowing reader reviews on Amazon but I thought this book was extremely mediocre. I think an average 12 year old could read it - it's written in that 'and then she said' and 'then she...' style which I find tedious. I couldn't even finish it I got so bored - with books like this I usually skim read the last half to see what happens, but I haven't even bothered doing that with this one!
Vale (BooksAndTea58)
I LOVED THIS BOOK. IS A SWEET, HEART-WARMING STORY ABOUT LOVE. IT TAUGHT ME THAT, EVEN IF WE HAVE TO DEAL WITH TONS OF PROBLEMS IN OUR LIFE, IF WE HAVE SOMEONE BY OUR SIDE WHO LOVES US, THE BATTLE IS WORTH THE FIGHT.

I started this book and I wasn't expecting much but, in the end, it turned out to be a really great book. Abby is the example that when someone has just broken your heart in a thousand little pieces, you need something EXTRAORDINARY to happen to you. Well, I am not sure if I would ca...more
Sara
Um livro fantástico em que nem se nota o virar das páginas.
Arttemizza
Gostei do tema e certa forma fez-me lembrar um pouco o filme “a minha namorada tem amnésia”. A protagonista é Abby, uma jovem que se após ter sido abandonada pelo namorado se refugiou no trabalho e que afastou de si todas as pessoas que se preocupavam com ela, entrando assim num estado depressivo. No entanto, devido a um acidente esta sofre um traumatismo craniano que lhe ameaça “roubar” algumas das sua memórias. Decide então embarcar numa jornada de “luta” pela preservação das suas recordações...more
Chloe
Abby Ryan is quite happy with life, but all that changes when she’s hit by falling debris when she’s walking under a ladder on her way to work.

When she awakes, she finds out that her memory is damaged, and that she has lost much of her long-term memory. She’s devastated, but also slightly in denial. So Abby sets about creating some new, fantastic memories with the help of her family and close friends, ones that she hopes she will be able to hold onto despite her declining health.

On her amazing a...more
Ulya
Must be something in the air. This is the second story related to bucket list that i've come across this week. Hmm..

The story is about Abby, who was pretty devastated after she was dumped by her long-time boyfriend. She started absorbing herself in her work & avoiding family/friends. One day she had an accident, causing injury to the head specifically where the memory function is. At first, she tried to deny it but one day she played the piano without ever remembering learning it. It initia...more
Rachel
I really loved this book, it was a little slow in areas but that didn't matter because the story needed it. The last 5 chapters I read all at once (I usually only do 1 or 2 at a time as I'm an incredibly slow reader) as I was desperate to find out how it was going to end.
I think if you have never experienced true heartbreak you may not get on with Abby but I liked her and related to her a little.
Overall thrilled with this book.
Jule
Die Idee an sich war sehr gut, doch zeitweise dachte ich echt, Warum habe ich dieses Buch nur angefangen?!
Ich bin mit der Hauptperson nicht sehr warm geworden und fand Sie zwischendrin echt unglaublich doof -.-
Zum Ende hin gab es dann nochmal eine überraschende Wendung, jedoch hat Sie nichts wirkliches mehr retten können..
Triduana
I got this from the library as I was after a quick read that I didn't have to think too much about. In this respect I wasn't disappointed: it was light-hearted and enjoyable enough and easy to follow.

I wasn't really fond of the main character though, I found her a little irritating and whiny. The story was a nice idea though, particularly the list Abby makes in order to try and preserve her memories, but I really thought the ending was a let down. (view spoiler)...more
Tania Martins
Nicole Johnstone
I quite enjoyed this book but felt it was not Melissa Hill's best. Very readable, very likable characters generally.
Inês
After reading "The Charm Bracelet" I decided to pick another book by Melissa Hill. It wasn't as good as I expected it to be, however it's a easy light reading.
The end left me a little disappointed.
Paula
Chick lit with a bit more substance to the storyline than many
I enjoyed it as a holiday read
Menna
i really enjoyed the book although the start was not as interesting as i had hoped.
appy has not been the easiest person to deal with in the past few years but with a family like hers anyperson no matter wat is he going through or wat is his personalty is(even if he is as horrible as kirean) will open up and be the most enjoyable person ever.
quick note she canm gain all the info that finn deleted by some programs found nowadays or at least lets just hope that kirean had a backup on his computer.
F...more
melissa
After breaking up with her boyfriend, the main character suffers a head injury which causes her to lose bits of her memory. The rest of the book is about her trying to learn how to live with her new injury. I enjoyed this one, even if I found it predictable in parts. I saw the end coming, although I really wasn’t sure how we were going to get there. Some of the characters I found two dimensional, but I enjoyed her interactions with them none the less. I like the idea of her ‘bucket list’. I thin...more
Filipa
Escrita fácil e fluída, é um livro muito bom de ler. Rapidamente somos transportados para dentro do livro, como se nada existisse à nossa volta. Debrua-se sobre um tema interessante e faz-nos pensar "e se nos acontecesse a nós?". A magnifica viagem a Paris de Abby e Finn é um autentico sonho para qualquer mulher, por mim falo. Este livro é uma história de amor mesmo bonita e o Finn é maravilhoso! :) Gostei mesmo muito de o ter lido. Foi o primeiro livro da Melissa Hill que li mas certamente não...more
Jenna
The entirety of this book irritated me, I think. The characters weren't really likeable, any of them really, and the main character spent most of her time whining, or being too miserable for me to even care about. I understand she was having a tough time, but it made me not care for her at all. The twist near the end also through me off, and confused me a little, and not in a good way, and really, I didn't think it was necessary.
Ayu Ikhwani
Anyone other than me who thinks this book is like the more serious version of the movie "50 First Dates"?!

Still.. I liked the book. Its kinda scary thinking that though the brain is one of the major organs of a human being, a thick skull can't really prevent anything bad happening to it. I can't imagine how I'd feel if I knew I'd lose most of my short term memories and gradually, all my other memories..

*shudders*

Rachel Gilbey
Unputdownable! Unforgetable!

Easily one of the most gripping books I've read by Melissa Hill. I could barely put it down.

That being said, I was getting distinct feelings of deja-vu as I read this book, as I found there were quite a few similarities between Before I Forget and the film 50 First Dates.

Brilliant book, very glad I've read it
Amber
I got this book because it was on sale and I just felt like buying a new book but I kind of regret it. It's not that this book was bad, it's just that I got about 100 pages in and have absolutely no desire to finish it. It has been sitting on my bed side table for months and I have not picked it up again. It's not necessarily bad, I could just care less about what happens in it. Maybe I'll try again someday.
Adeem AlHassan
What I liked the most in this novel was the optimism in her, the strength to never give up! Even though doctors didn’t give her any hope! She ignored the negativity of life. She believed in herself. Hope, faith and belief that’s all we need to get through any hard time in life. Also it made me realize that (Every problem has a solution), That’s it.
Haslinda
Love this book to the max! For me, this book shows knowing the reality is always tough, but you will never know what behind each difficulty.

Shouldn't say more! :p
anne
I wish to give this book a 3.8 actually. I gave 4 because of the story line..super love the story line. I think it's amazing that there's one surprise after another. Second half of the book makes it hard for me to put down the book but I'm a bit disappointed with the ending though. I somehow hope Melissa prolong the ending.
Marcia
Mar 19, 2012 Marcia added it
I order romance for my library. This author came to my attention and I got the book on ILL. She is not really published in the US. I can imagine myself finding it in a hostel in Ecuador or Nepal and because I have to read something always, I would read it. The storyline is a bit original, but the writing is so so.
Roberta Capizzi
Looooooved this book! Unusual plot but beautiful story, with an emotional and touching happy ending.
I love Finn. And he's Irish, as a bonus :)
And Abby is a super cute and totally relatable heroine.
I was pleasantly surprised. I didn't expect to love this book so much and I'm glad I was wrong. I won't forget it :)
  • All for You
  • Happy Ever After
  • It's a Kind of Magic
  • Men I've Loved Before
  • The Yorkshire Pudding Club
  • The Cornish House
  • Coming Home
  • When I Fall In Love
  • Confetti Confidential (Isabel Bookbinder #3)
  • Summer With My Sister
  • RSVP
  • Late Night Shopping (Annie Valentine, #2)
  • The Life You Want
  • Pandora's Box
  • Molly's Millions
  • Out of the Blue
International #1 bestselling author Melissa Hill lives in Dublin and is one of Ireland's most popular female fiction authors.

Her page-turning, contemporary romance stories are published worldwide and translated into 25 different languages. Her titles are regular chart-toppers in Ireland and internationally and SOMETHING FROM TIFFANY'S (aka A GIFT FROM TIFFANY'S) became one of Italy's 2011 Top Ten...more
More about Melissa Hill...
Something From Tiffany’s Please Forgive Me The Charm Bracelet The Truth About You The Last To Know