Start by marking “Spot Goes to the Beach (color)” as Want to Read:
Spot Goes to the Beach (color)

Spot Goes to the Beach (Spot the Dog)

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  175 ratings  ·  18 reviews
The bestselling puppy is better than ever. Spot's 25th birthday presents are bold, beautiful color covers that give him a great new look. Enjoy Spot in paperback with full-color covers and traditional Lift-the-Flap features. Have more fun with Spot!

Published May 12th 2003 by Warne (first published January 1st 1985)

To ask other readers questions about Spot Goes to the Beach, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Spot Goes to the Beach

Last night I had another date with this book and my 22 month old son. Once again he was riveted, puppies, balls, bright colours and lifting flaps that reveal more things of interest when lifted. It's pretty much everything the little man is after.
Now don't get me wrong, I really do love reading books with my son and I hope he appreciates books as much as I do. But I've found that this book really lost it's dynamic after the first 40 times we read it and further subsequent readings have not impr
Love the "Spot" books - they were my favourite childhood books
Lydia Thomas
my other favorite book to read when I was a kid
This book was a huge favourite of mine. I wanted to get a dog after reading it. I used to have ALL of these books and I read them a lot because I liked the pictures. When it became an animated thing, I lved it so much! I had the VHSs and watched them everyday. I don't know when I stopped or when I grew up from it, but this series has completely escaped my memory until just recently when I read the book: "1001 Children's Books you must read before you grow up".

I am glad to have had this in my li
Hill, Eric. (2003). Spot goes to the beach. New York: Puffin Books.

Categories: engineered book, pop-up book, participation books, picture storybook

Spot the dog spends the day at the beach with his parents. Flaps to open are included on each page and add a little humor to the story.

Themes: beach, dogs

Classroom uses: read-aloud for Pre-K and K, introduction to summer, discussion of beach activities, could be used as writing prompt for 1st graders

Might be hard to do in ST, because of FLAPS.
I don't love the Spot books so much. I find the text really boring to read, and I'm not that impressed by the illustrations, but my daughter loves all of the Spot books and reads them daily. Perhaps it's the lift-the-flap aspect? Anyway, she enjoys this story of Spot's trip to the beach, especially the part where Spot gets into a tug-of-war with a hippo with a towel.
This book is about Spot going to the beach. It is an easy read book that is easy to read... and for that I give it 3 stars. (Easy read books that aren't really easy make me a little crazy.) It is not terribly original but the lift-the-flaps gave me a little giggle.
Aug 01, 2010 jacky rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: older babies - K
We got these out of the library for Natalie because they have flaps. She doesn't seem to like them as much as Open the Barn Door, but it maybe because we haven't sat and read them the same and that the flaps are different.
Eric Hill's writing is very simple. My son really enjoys lifting the flaps to discover what happens in the story. Recommended for ages 1-3.
Yet another fun, lift-a-flap Spot book. This is one of Jacob's favorite books! He especially loves the "puppy overboard" page...
Spot Goes to the Beach
Trent Mayes
Best book ever :)
Ava added it
Nov 17, 2015
Rashmi marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2015
Kyoung-Im Lee
Kyoung-Im Lee marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2015
Kristy added it
Oct 01, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Daddy and Me
  • Who Is Driving?
  • Amelia Bedelia's First Day of School
  • What Makes a Rainbow? Mini edition (A Magic Ribbon Book)
  • Blue Train, Green Train (Thomas & Friends)
  • Penguins, Penguins, Everywhere!
  • The Seashore Book
  • Waking Dragons
  • A Museum Adventure (Library Mouse #4)
  • Dino-Soccer
  • Symphony City
  • Clifford and the Grouchy Neighbors
  • Machines Go to Work in the City
  • Disney Tangled (Little Golden Book)
  • Curious George at the Parade
  • The Christmas Story
  • Star Wars: The Clone Wars: Anakin in Action! (DK Readers Level 2)
  • The Spooky Wheels on the Bus
Eric Gordon Hill OBE was a popular author and illustrator of children's picture books, best known for his character Spot the Dog. His works have been widely praised for their contributions to child literacy. He was appointed Officer of the Order of the British Empire (OBE) in the 2008 New Year Honours.
More about Eric Hill...

Spot the Dog (1 - 10 of 162 books)
  • Where's Spot? (Picture Puffin - Lift-the-flap book)
  • Spot Goes to School (color)
  • Spot Goes On Holiday
  • Spot Visits His Grandparents
  • Spot Goes to the Farm
  • Spot Loves His Daddy
  • Spot's Birthday Party
  • Good Night Spot
  • Spot Loves His Mum
  • Spot Goes to the Park (color)