Start by marking “Widows Wear Stilettos: A Practical and Emotional Guide for the Young Widow” as Want to Read:
Widows Wear Stilettos: A Practical and Emotional Guide for the Young Widow

Widows Wear Stilettos: A Practical and Emotional Guide for the Young Widow

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  38 ratings  ·  8 reviews
Widowhood is a frightening prospect for any woman, but becoming a widow in one's forties, thirties, or twenties can be terrifying. Widows Wear Stilettos deals sensitively with the many problems and questions facing the young widow: depression and grief, helping children cope, facing in-laws, and returning to work. The authors also address practical concerns including finan ...more
Published January 6th 2009 by New Horizon Press (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Widows Wear Stilettos, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Widows Wear Stilettos

Kristin
cheesy and lacking in perspective. no acknowledgement of suicide as a separate cause of young widow-hood (a huge oversight). This just came out, but we already need a gen-x (rather than boomer) version of this book. Assumes all young widows have children to worry about.
Tammy
The subtitle sums it up--a practical guide--gives tips about taking care of yourself physically, doing the physical "business" of widowhood, and taking care of your children. The second part of the subtitle--an emtional guide--discusses the unique situations YOUNG widows face. This is the first book I've found that addresses the challenges of YOUNG widowhood.

However--it is NOT a book to be read straight through for a NEW young widow. It is written in retrospect and after time you will get a poin
LaNita Herlem
As a widow almost 5 years out from my husband's death, I found the early chapters of this book to be very relative to my early years as a widow, especially the first and second year. (Wish I had this book back then!) While it was somewhat tedious to read those (been there, done that) it was also a great reminder of how far I have come since then. Once I got to the second half of the book, I could not put it down. These chapters I can probably come back to read a few years from now and still lear ...more
Mz
It started out pretty good, It is like a workbook. You answer the questions, and revisit them in 6 months to a year. BUT then it covers everything in widowhood. From a how to handle everything after the loss of your husband. To wear or not wear your rings. Dating, marriage. Since I am no where there I kinda moved forward. But this will be on my nook shelf because if I ever get there, it will have a lot of info. Overall a good read.
Luci
While this widow wears Doc Martens, I found this book to be very helpful if you discover it early enough in the grieving process. Being almost a year and a half out, I found it to be interesting but found myself nodding in places as opposed to finding more help. It's not bad but there were huge sections I skipped (like recipes) because they simply were irrelevant.
valerie
I read this book for work and it was pretty good. It is very practical and written by a widow and out of her personal experience. She includes her sense of humor throughout the book which helps.
Kim
Practical advice in a lighter format than some on this topic.
Jacqui
A little silly, but good bits
Sharon
Sharon added it
Sep 17, 2014
Christina
Christina is currently reading it
Sep 07, 2014
Sacha
Sacha added it
Aug 30, 2014
Jennifer Sherwood
Jennifer Sherwood marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2014
Nicolle
Nicolle marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2014
Natalie N
Natalie N marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2014
Susannah
Susannah marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
Genie
Genie added it
May 19, 2014
Debbie
Debbie added it
Mar 20, 2014
Jody
Jody is currently reading it
Feb 18, 2014
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2014
Valerie Willman
Valerie Willman marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Widows Wear Stilettos: A Practical and Emotional Guide for the Young Widow Widows Wear Stilettos: A Practical and Emotional Guide for the Young Widow: A Practical and Emotional Guide for the Young Widow Happily Even After: A Guide to Getting Through (and Beyond) the Grief of Widowhood "I'M 'HEELING' ONE DAY AT A TIME": The ULTIMATE, One-and-Only Question, Answer and Reference Guide to Life After Widowhood Too Young to Wear Black: A Widow's Guide to Getting on with Your Life, One Step at a Time