Start by marking “The Brazilians” as Want to Read:
The Brazilians

The Brazilians

A country warmly hospitable and surprisingly violent, physically beautiful, yet appallingly poor—these are the contrasts Joseph Page explores in The Brazilians, a monumental book on one of the most colorful and paradoxical places on earth.Once one of the strongest market economies in the world, Brazil now struggles to emerge from a deep economic and social crisis, the late ...more
Published September 6th 1996 by Da Capo Press (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about The Brazilians, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Brazilians

Amanda
Jul 10, 2012 Amanda rated it liked it
Shelves: brazil
Recommended to me by one of my Middlebury Portuguese language professors, "The Brazilians" is a solid overview of a range of topics -- history, economics, culture, film, and literature -- through 1995. I'd recommend it to anyone who would like a general overview of all things Brazilian.

Though the author does an astute job of communicating the cultural complexity of Brazil, sometimes his generalizations are problematic (e.g., analysis of anal sex and its further relationship to the HIV/AIDS epide
Karl Reinhard
Jun 21, 2013 Karl Reinhard rated it did not like it
Shelves: brazil
I read this book just before my first extended trip to Brazil (6 months) in 1997. I thought it was an excellent book. However, as the weeks passed and as I visited more more places in Brazil, I could not see much overlap in Page's perspective on Brazil and my own. I reread the book in Brazil and found that he missed the missed the complexity of coevolved cultures and interdependent societies that make up the Brazil I know. Since then, I have lived for two years in Brazil and although some passag ...more
Josh
Jul 06, 2011 Josh rated it really liked it
I really liked this book. As an outsider who has spent a lot of time in Brazil myself it definitely conjured memories of similar experiences and observations I had. It is definitely told from an American perspective, but Mr. Page obviously has a deep affection for Brazil and it's people. I would be interested in what a Brazilian thinks about this book.
Deanna Brauer
Jun 21, 2009 Deanna Brauer is currently reading it
Wow, are Brazilians a complex people. I thought I had an open mind set about the world but reading this book made me realize that it's only so big. I have so much to learn. One thing that has been interesting as well is reading about the differences and similarities in slavery between North and South American and how that manifested into different forms of racism.
aimee
Nov 20, 2009 aimee rated it it was amazing
Apparently a must-read before I go to Brazil. I eagerly await it from Amazon.

23/11/2009 - it hath arrived! It's next up once the currently reading are read.

11/12/2009 - started it last night on the plane back to perth and was instantly hooked. writing style is engaging and informative. finding it already easier than "black lamb and grey falcon"
Chris King
This book gives a great overview of customs and events that portray and shape Brazilian culture. I have a multi-cultural family (my wife is Brazilian) and this has given me insight into her background and way of looking at things.

If you have relationships with people from Brazil, or just want to learn more about the interesting culture of Brazil, this book will enlighten you.
Shirley
Jan 25, 2008 Shirley rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Learn a little about Brazil, its history, traditions, societal structure, food, etc in a very accessible way.
Weavre
I'll read this soon, just didn't get into it right now. It does look good, though.
Suzanne Philp
Jul 10, 2013 Suzanne Philp rated it liked it
Definitely an interesting read, althought a bit out of date now. Looking forward to checking out the country for myself!
Ben
Jan 27, 2008 Ben rated it liked it
Shelves: history, latinamerica
A good introduction to Brazilian culture and history - helping to understand a bit of what makes this country and people unique.
Kyle
Kyle rated it liked it
May 27, 2013
Lua
Lua rated it really liked it
Jan 31, 2011
Mark
Mark rated it really liked it
Aug 11, 2012
Allison
Allison rated it really liked it
Apr 26, 2016
Jeffrey
Jeffrey rated it really liked it
Aug 19, 2011
Lawrence Brown
Lawrence Brown rated it liked it
Sep 24, 2011
Barry Sierer
Barry Sierer rated it liked it
Feb 07, 2014
Kyle
Kyle rated it liked it
Aug 10, 2014
Dennis M.
Dennis M. rated it really liked it
Jan 20, 2013
Jaylene
Jaylene rated it it was ok
Oct 16, 2007
William Shelton
William Shelton rated it liked it
May 15, 2013
Intplibrarian
Intplibrarian rated it really liked it
Sep 17, 2011
Keith
Keith rated it liked it
Aug 04, 2013
Carlos Isoard
Carlos Isoard rated it really liked it
Apr 04, 2013
tonolmo
tonolmo rated it it was amazing
May 24, 2014
Rebecca
Rebecca rated it liked it
Apr 25, 2010
Emily
Emily rated it really liked it
Feb 11, 2012
Stephanie
Stephanie rated it it was amazing
Oct 24, 2016
Jamie
Jamie rated it really liked it
Jun 17, 2012
Bryan Schmidt
Bryan Schmidt rated it it was amazing
May 13, 2010
  • The Man Who Deciphered Linear B: The Story of Michael Ventris
  • Clues, Myths and the Historical Method
  • The Leopard's Tale: Revealing the Mysteries of Catalhoyuk
  • Women In Greek Myth
  • Possessing Genius: The True Account of the Bizarre Odyssey of Einstein's Brain
  • The Farfarers: Before the Norse
  • The Rise of Universities
  • The Goddess and the Bull: Catalhoyuk: An Archaeological Journey to the Dawn of Civilization
  • The Extraordinary Voyage of Pytheas the Greek