Start by marking “The Brazilians” as Want to Read:
The Brazilians

The Brazilians

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  99 ratings  ·  10 reviews
A country warmly hospitable and surprisingly violent, physically beautiful, yet appallingly poor—these are the contrasts Joseph Page explores in The Brazilians, a monumental book on one of the most colorful and paradoxical places on earth.Once one of the strongest market economies in the world, Brazil now struggles to emerge from a deep economic and social crisis, the late ...more
Published September 6th 1996 by Da Capo Press (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about The Brazilians, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Brazilians

Amanda
Recommended to me by one of my Middlebury Portuguese language professors, "The Brazilians" is a solid overview of a range of topics -- history, economics, culture, film, and literature -- through 1995. I'd recommend it to anyone who would like a general overview of all things Brazilian.

Though the author does an astute job of communicating the cultural complexity of Brazil, sometimes his generalizations are problematic (e.g., analysis of anal sex and its further relationship to the HIV/AIDS epide
Karl Reinhard
I read this book just before my first extended trip to Brazil (6 months) in 1997. I thought it was an excellent book. However, as the weeks passed and as I visited more more places in Brazil, I could not see much overlap in Page's perspective on Brazil and my own. I reread the book in Brazil and found that he missed the missed the complexity of coevolved cultures and interdependent societies that make up the Brazil I know. Since then, I have lived for two years in Brazil and although some passag ...more
Chris
This book gives a great overview of customs and events that portray and shape Brazilian culture. I have a multi-cultural family (my wife is Brazilian) and this has given me insight into her background and way of looking at things.

If you have relationships with people from Brazil, or just want to learn more about the interesting culture of Brazil, this book will enlighten you.
Deanna Brauer
Jun 21, 2009 Deanna Brauer is currently reading it
Wow, are Brazilians a complex people. I thought I had an open mind set about the world but reading this book made me realize that it's only so big. I have so much to learn. One thing that has been interesting as well is reading about the differences and similarities in slavery between North and South American and how that manifested into different forms of racism.
Josh
I really liked this book. As an outsider who has spent a lot of time in Brazil myself it definitely conjured memories of similar experiences and observations I had. It is definitely told from an American perspective, but Mr. Page obviously has a deep affection for Brazil and it's people. I would be interested in what a Brazilian thinks about this book.
aimee
Apparently a must-read before I go to Brazil. I eagerly await it from Amazon.

23/11/2009 - it hath arrived! It's next up once the currently reading are read.

11/12/2009 - started it last night on the plane back to perth and was instantly hooked. writing style is engaging and informative. finding it already easier than "black lamb and grey falcon"
Ben
A good introduction to Brazilian culture and history - helping to understand a bit of what makes this country and people unique.
Suzanne Philp
Definitely an interesting read, althought a bit out of date now. Looking forward to checking out the country for myself!
Shirley
Learn a little about Brazil, its history, traditions, societal structure, food, etc in a very accessible way.
Weavre
I'll read this soon, just didn't get into it right now. It does look good, though.
Joanne
Joanne marked it as to-read
Nov 12, 2014
Martin
Martin marked it as to-read
Nov 06, 2014
Verena
Verena marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2014
Laurie
Laurie marked it as to-read
Oct 25, 2014
Josh Bull
Josh Bull marked it as to-read
Oct 24, 2014
Carlotta
Carlotta marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2014
Hhkk Jui
Hhkk Jui marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2014
Sarah Fournier
Sarah Fournier marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2014
Jerome Foster
Jerome Foster marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Peron: A Biography Russian Tanks of World War II Perón: Una biografía Puerto Rico: 2the Qui Bitter Wages