Start by marking “Labyrinth: A Novel Based on the Jim Henson Film” as Want to Read:
Labyrinth: A Novel Based on the Jim Henson Film

Labyrinth: A Novel Based on the Jim Henson Film (Jim Henson Archive Series)

4.2  ·  Rating Details ·  2,241 Ratings  ·  217 Reviews
What happens when you wish for something terrible ... and your wish comes true? Young Sarah is about to find out. Left at home to mind her baby brother, Toby, she finds herself trying to comfort a screaming infant as a wild storm rages about the house. In a fit of temper, she wishes that the goblins would come and take the child away. Unfortunately, they do.

Sarah then plun
Mass Market Paperback, 183 pages
Published June 1st 1986 by Henry Holt (first published 1985)

Ginger *Protégée extraordinaire and Kool-Aid mixer*
So a GoodReads friend told me a few months ago they were re-releasing The Labyrinth. I couldn't believe it. After finding out years ago it was out of print, searching, finding it for hundreds of dollars I had given up the hope of reading it.

I finally got it and I was flying high on new book happies for days

Excuse my gushing but here we go.

David Bowe is the Labyrinth to me

I lived on the songs from the movie for months and still adore them today.

Happy times.

Now the book.
With the extras included i
Donna
Nov 17, 2009 Donna rated it it was amazing
First I just want to say that the copy I have doesn't have that cover since I have the UK version of the book but I couldn't find that particular one. *sigh* Substitutes. I'll live.

Anyway, as Hollywood is wont to do now, because, apparently, they've smoked their creativity away, and adapt movies from books, it used to be heavily the other way around. I'm not sure how many movie novelizations have been made recently but they used to be very common. Labyrinth was one of them. The person writing th
Meli
Dec 27, 2015 Meli rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
RESEÑA COMPLETA, COMPARATIVA DE LIBRO Y PELI POR ACÁ :D

Muy entretenido, por momentos me daba sensaciones similares a Alicia en el País de las Maravillas.
Esta noche miro la peli, a ver qué tal.
Andrew
Nov 21, 2016 Andrew rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Now with all the interest in Bowie and the film Labyrinth I thought it was time to dig out my hardback copy and give it a read, which I can tell you was rather informative.

The book is pretty straight forward, now in situations like this I would say that the book follows the film or visa versa - either way the story would be so mingled (or mangled) that I would not be able to separate them and it would feel one was interfering with the other (missing scenes, differing descriptions and the such l
Isa Lavinia
Nov 01, 2010 Isa Lavinia rated it really liked it

It's perfectly fine to like problematic things, as long as you realise they are problematic, and this is the case.
See, Jareth is my favourite male character but I wouldn't date him - I know better than that. His behaviour was sketchy to say the least, there is the bright point, however, of Sarah realising this and not letting herself fall for him or any of his tricks (oops! spoilers! for anyone who hasn't watched Labyrinth, but if you haven't stop whatever you're doing and go watch it and read
Elf
Jun 27, 2007 Elf rated it it was amazing
I think I got this simply to satisfy my obsession with the movie and with David Bowie as Jareth. I will admit that the book has one line at the end that isn't in the movie and woudl have been much better in the movie. It also expounds on Jareth more.

Not bad for a novelization.
Mi

Through dangers untold and hardships unnumbered,
I have fought my way here to the castle beyond the Goblin City,
to take back the child that you have stolen.

Sarah is an imaginative girl with hopes of becoming an actress like her mother. She feels her step-mother constantly interferes with her goals – especially when she is made to look after her younger step-brother, Toby. Life is not fair and Sarah knows to complain about it; one night she decides to give into her frustration and to give her
Andi Raney
Oct 25, 2012 Andi Raney rated it it was amazing
It's sad, but the first time I saw The Labyrinth , I was sixteen. Seems wrong, doesn't it? My parents had never seen it, so when I first watched it, I made them and my younger sisters watch it with me.

I was the only one who feel in love.

For four years, I've held it close to my heart. It's my second favorite (the first being The Goonies ) movie of all time - and then I found out about this book.

Now, I don't own this book; I've looked and looked and looked and nothing. So, I did what any othe
Chloe (thelastcolour)
Mar 21, 2016 Chloe (thelastcolour) rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, fantasy
This novel that is based upon the film 'Labyrinth' starring David Bowie was phenomenal. 'Labyrinth' has been one of my favourite films for years and it was only in the last 6 months or so that I have searched for a copy of this book. This little book is my Holy Grail! But now onto the actual story.

I have always been slightly apprehensive when reading books that are based on films. The writing is usually very poor, with little description and the characters are never fleshed out enough. But this
Thomas Edmund
Aug 11, 2014 Thomas Edmund rated it really liked it
First up - I have an aversion to 'movie novelizations.' I tend to think that a story is either best told on screen or on page and in general the best way to go is to make movies based on books. (while this is TV, I think 'Bones' the books of the TV series takes the cake as a book based on a TV series based on a book/author)

Anyway, just explaining why I was hesitant to read this one. The person who recommended it promised a proper novel, not just a written description of what happened in the movi
Lily
Sep 18, 2013 Lily rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
Antes de empezar a contaros de que va la novela o cualquier cosa, y antes de que sigáis leyendo estas líneas será mejor que corráis a ver la película homónima protagonizada por David Bowie y Jennifer Connelly porque sino no os vais a enterar absolutamente de nada de lo que os cuente, y es que esta no es una novela al uso. Todos nosotros estamos acostumbrados al orden libro-película, pero en esta ocasión la cosa va al revés. Basada en la película de 1986, Dentro del laberinto nos devuelve a esa p ...more
Suvi
The movie has a special place in my heart. There was a time in my childhood when there was still cool stuff on TV, and one afternoon I noticed an interesting movie in the schedule. What I saw stayed with me forever. My mom had just baked buns topped with butter, so while I was gobbling up about a seven of those and drinking cold cocoa, I was completely sucked into this odd world of puppet trolls and a strange Goblin king with a seductive voice.

Rewind to year 2016, when the news of David Bowie's
Nina Rapsodia
Oct 05, 2011 Nina Rapsodia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Todo el mundo
Recommended to Nina by: Mientras Lees
4.5

Ya la sinopsis dice mucho. Sarah es una niña de 15 años, muy infantil todavía, que adora leer, jugar con sus juguetes y admirar las fotos de su madre actriz. Una noche se enoja muchísimo cuando su madrastra la regaña al llegar tarde a casa, deja a su perro Merlín en el garaje en plena tormenta, y para acabar le pide que cuide a su medio hermano Toby. Cuando Sarah nota que uno de sus peluche favorito ha desaparecido de su alcoba y descubre que lo tiene el niño en su habitación, se pone furiosa
Avery (ThePagemaster)
As a child, Labyrinth was a movie shown to me by my older brother. It was my first introduction to an actual fantasy story, even before LotR and Harry Potter. The story was SO original and an immediate classic that is still popular in this modern day, as it was back in 1986. When I saw that there was a novelization of it, I just had to have it.

While I was reading, and after finishing the book even, I wanted to withhold my nostalgia from giving this book an automatic five stars because some adapt
Michelle
I have been after this book for a good couple of years now, and is proved quite impossible to get for a reasonable price. And it still amazes me how this book is out of print, when The Dark Crystal can go for pennies. Not fair, especially for a major 80s classic like this. Thankfully, after much searching, I found this for a semi-reasonable price on eBay. It's not a price I would be willing to pay again for a single book, considering the original price is £2.50, as listed on the back, and it's d ...more
Lynne weir
Apr 23, 2012 Lynne weir rated it it was amazing
Shelves: goblins, teen-fantasy
Soo sad. Really want to read this yet the only place selling it has used copys for over a hundred pounds!!!! The only chance I have of getting this is if I become very rich. Well Lottery here I come.

******Update******

Thank goodness for the internet. While searching for information on this book I came across a site that not only told me a bit about the book but also allowed me to read the whole book for free! I usually don’t agree with these sorts of sites as I know most authors struggle making
daisy
Mar 12, 2017 daisy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This wasn't a bad book, it was just... okay? There were additional scenes and dialogue changes, and while I liked some of them -more info about Sarah's mother, passages from Jareth's perspective- others were just bad. I already complained about it in a status update, but the ballroom scene and the aftermath of the ballroom scene? A mess. I liked that the ending was a little sadder, that party-dance scene always felt kind of strange to me as a kid. The writing style felt stilted and choppy at tim ...more
Linda
Mar 25, 2010 Linda rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
This book clearly shows the reason why I usually don't read (direct) novelizations - while reading them I just feel as if I'm reading a more fleshed-out version of the script of the movie which I find dissatisfying.

I liked Labyrinth a lot when I first saw it some years ago and I read the book right after seeing the movie. That probably was my biggest mistake as it follows the trend I mentioned above with only a few additions (which might be a pleasant surprise to some). This probably makes the
Emma-Louise
Feb 24, 2015 Emma-Louise rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi-fantasy
"Nothing? Nothing! Nothing.. Tra la la?!"

To say I love Labyrinth is a massive understatement.. I have a quote from the film as a tattoo!! So naturally I had to have the book so I could fall in love with it all over again. T didn't disappoint. It was a nice companion to the film, with all the familiar scenes and some extra insight into Jareth and Sarah. And I dare anyone to read it without doing the voices and singing the songs in your head!
V
Mar 29, 2012 V marked it as to-read
Shelves: reviewed
Adding this to a little list I like to call 'the Hunt'. I happen to live within reach of several second hand bookshops, and can easily find more in the next town over. And the next one. And the next one.

SALLY FORTH!
Hannah
Jul 09, 2014 Hannah rated it it was ok
First of all I want to say that I love the film! That BEING said, I can't absolutely HATE a novelization of it. The book made clearer some ideas and characterizations, and added to the film watching experience.
But lets be honest, the writing was ridiculous.
Katie
May 14, 2015 Katie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hands down the best novelization of a movie I've ever read! You can just see the movie playing out in your head while your reading. Everything is so exact while adding a new layer to the excitement of the book. Loved it!!!
Penelope
Jun 24, 2015 Penelope rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I have so much love for this story. So happy that I finally had the opportunity to get my hands on the book!
Luciana Darce
Dec 02, 2016 Luciana Darce rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Para além de reprises ad infinitum de A Lagoa Azul, a Sessão da Tarde apresentou-me a alguns dos meus filmes favoritos - histórias que ainda hoje me são caras e próximas do coração, não importa quanto tempo se tenha passado. Já adulta, descobri que alguns deles eram inspirados em livros - A História sem Fim, e A Princesa Prometida, por exemplo. Outros fizeram o caminho contrário das telas para os livros, como a novelização de O Feitiço de Áquila e Labirinto, de que falaremos hoje.

A estrutura de
Tegan
Apr 10, 2017 Tegan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I just really appreciated that there was a bit more between Sarah and Jareth in the book than there was in the movie. So glad to finally have this book!
Lindsical
Mar 23, 2017 Lindsical rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic novelization of one of my favorite movies. I enjoyed the more in-depth content reading the novel provided.

I highly recommend for any Labyrinth fans!
Kendall • thegeekyyogi
A great read for fans of the movie! While there are some subtle differences, I feel that the changes that were made added more to the story and helped it flow from the movie to the page. There is some great backstory/detail added in regards to Sarah's mother, explaining where she is and in turn shedding some light on why Sarah acts the way she does.
It was fun reading it, especially in the moments where I could hear the voices of Sarah, Jareth or any of the other characters I love so much, and ha
Nemo
Apr 20, 2014 Nemo rated it it was ok
UUUUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.

So here's the thing. I love the movie Labyrinth with all of my fangirly little heart. It's the first movie I ever bought for myself on DVD, I have posters and a Jareth action figure and the soundtrack and I love it, okay, I really, really do. A little while back someone on Twitter mentioned the novelization and I went, WHAT, THERE'S A NOVELIZATION?! [Colbert give-it-to-me-now gif goes here]

And hey, wouldn't you know it? You
Shali

2.5 stars, as it wasn't bad, but I can't truly say that I liked it all that much.

I've loved the 1980's Labyrinth movie for years, and it's what introduced me to the wonder that was David Bowie, but the book just didn't impress me. I understand that writing a novelization of a movie is difficult, as you have to stick to the storyline while trying to expand on it, but I really just couldn't love it.
The language/writing of the story was so stiff, with such an exaggerated vocabulary, that I was havi
Todos Mis Libros
El libro que hoy os traigo creo que es de sobra conocido por todos vosotros, y seguro que, sobre todo, por aquellos que su infancia transcurrió en los años 80, al igual que la mía.
Todos recordamos aquella maravillosa adaptación cinematográfica de la obra. Pero hoy no estamos aquí para hablar sobre ella, si no para hablar sobre el libro. Si bien es cierto que van unidos y de la mano indisolublemente, ya que se escribió al mismo tiempo que se realizaba el rodaje de la película, basándose en el g
  • The Goblins of Labyrinth
  • Return to Labyrinth, Vol. 1
  • Jim Henson's Storyteller
  • Willow
  • The 10th Kingdom
  • Legends of the Dark Crystal, Vol. 1: The Garthim Wars
  • Jim Henson's Labyrinth: The Novelization
  • Never Ceese (Thirsting for Blood, #1)
  • Finding Hollywood Nobody (Hollywood Nobody, #2)
  • Be Strong & Curvaceous (All About Us, #3)
  • Princess Mononoke: The First Story
  • Honestly, Katie John!
  • The Lion Vrie
  • A Steal of a Deal (The Shop-Til-U-Drop Collection #2)
  • The Names Upon The Harp: Irish Myth And Legend
  • Adventure Time Vol. 6
  • Cyndere's Midnight (The Auralia Thread, #2)
  • Return to Oz

Jim Henson Archive Series (3 books)
  • Jim Henson's Storyteller
  • The Dark Crystal

“Just fear me and love me...and do as I say...and I will be your slave.” 40 likes
“Everything. I have done everything you wanted...You asked that the child be taken. I took him. You cowered before me. I was frightening...I have reordered time...I have turned the world upside down...And I have done it all for you.
I am exhausted from living up to your expectations.”
36 likes