Start by marking “Labyrinth: A Novel Based on the Jim Henson Film” as Want to Read:
Labyrinth: A Novel Based on the Jim Henson Film

Labyrinth: A Novel Based on the Jim Henson Film (Jim Henson Archive Series)

4.15 of 5 stars 4.15  ·  rating details  ·  1,247 ratings  ·  120 reviews
What happens when you wish for something terrible ... and your wish comes true? Young Sarah is about to find out. Left at home to mind her baby brother, Toby, she finds herself trying to comfort a screaming infant as a wild storm rages about the house. In a fit of temper, she wishes that the goblins would come and take the child away. Unfortunately, they do.

Sarah then plun
Mass Market Paperback, 183 pages
Published June 1st 1986 by Henry Holt (first published 1985)

To ask other readers questions about Labyrinth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Labyrinth

Monica!
I was embarrassingly fond of this movie when I was younger (and certainly don't have it on DVD now, noooo), so imagine my horror when I realized that the novelization of the film has apparently vanished off the face of the earth. Not a copy to be found anywhere. Which is how I ended up huddled over my computer screen at four in the morning reading a bootlegged edition painstakingly typed out by some random, dedicated Labyrinth fan.

It's not a perfect book by any means--and I'm not saying this ju
Ginger
So a GoodReads friend told me a few months ago they were re-releasing The Labyrinth. I couldn't believe it. After finding out years ago it was out of print, searching, finding it for hundreds of dollars I had given up the hope of reading it.

I finally got it and I was flying high on new book happies for days

Excuse my gushing but here we go.

David Bowe is the Labyrinth to me

I lived on the songs from the movie for months and still adore them today.

Happy times.

Now the book.
With the extras included i
Donna
First I just want to say that the copy I have doesn't have that cover since I have the UK version of the book but I couldn't find that particular one. *sigh* Substitutes. I'll live.

Anyway, as Hollywood is wont to do now, because, apparently, they've smoked their creativity away, and adapt movies from books, it used to be heavily the other way around. I'm not sure how many movie novelizations have been made recently but they used to be very common. Labyrinth was one of them. The person writing th
Elf
I think I got this simply to satisfy my obsession with the movie and with David Bowie as Jareth. I will admit that the book has one line at the end that isn't in the movie and woudl have been much better in the movie. It also expounds on Jareth more.

Not bad for a novelization.
Miranda Raney
It's sad, but the first time I saw The Labyrinth , I was sixteen. Seems wrong, doesn't it? My parents had never seen it, so when I first watched it, I made them and my younger sisters watch it with me.

I was the only one who feel in love.

For four years, I've held it close to my heart. It's my second favorite (the first being The Goonies ) movie of all time - and then I found out about this book.

Now, I don't own this book; I've looked and looked and looked and nothing. So, I did what any othe
Isa Lavinia

It's perfectly fine to like problematic things, as long as you realise they are problematic, and this is the case.
See, Jareth is my favourite male character but I wouldn't date him - I know better than that. His behaviour was sketchy to say the least, there is the bright point, however, of Sarah realising this and not letting herself fall for him or any of his tricks (oops! spoilers! for anyone who hasn't watched Labyrinth, but if you haven't stop whatever you're doing and go watch it and read
T. Edmund
First up - I have an aversion to 'movie novelizations.' I tend to think that a story is either best told on screen or on page and in general the best way to go is to make movies based on books. (while this is TV, I think 'Bones' the books of the TV series takes the cake as a book based on a TV series based on a book/author)

Anyway, just explaining why I was hesitant to read this one. The person who recommended it promised a proper novel, not just a written description of what happened in the movi
Lynne weir
Soo sad. Really want to read this yet the only place selling it has used copys for over a hundred pounds!!!! The only chance I have of getting this is if I become very rich. Well Lottery here I come.

******Update******

Thank goodness for the internet. While searching for information on this book I came across a site that not only told me a bit about the book but also allowed me to read the whole book for free! I usually don’t agree with these sorts of sites as I know most authors struggle making
Nina Rapsodia
Jun 19, 2014 Nina Rapsodia rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Todo el mundo
Recommended to Nina by: Mientras Lees
Shelves: 2011, favoritos
4.5

Ya la sinopsis dice mucho. Sarah es una niña de 15 años, muy infantil todavía, que adora leer, jugar con sus juguetes y admirar las fotos de su madre actriz. Una noche se enoja muchísimo cuando su madrastra la regaña al llegar tarde a casa, deja a su perro Merlín en el garaje en plena tormenta, y para acabar le pide que cuide a su medio hermano Toby. Cuando Sarah nota que uno de sus peluche favorito ha desaparecido de su alcoba y descubre que lo tiene el niño en su habitación, se pone furiosa
Michelle
I have been after this book for a good couple of years now, and is proved quite impossible to get for a reasonable price. And it still amazes me how this book is out of print, when The Dark Crystal can go for pennies. Not fair, especially for a major 80s classic like this. Thankfully, after much searching, I found this for a semi-reasonable price on eBay. It's not a price I would be willing to pay again for a single book, considering the original price is £2.50, as listed on the back, and it's d ...more
Linda
This book clearly shows the reason why I usually don't read (direct) novelizations - while reading them I just feel as if I'm reading a more fleshed-out version of the script of the movie which I find dissatisfying.

I liked Labyrinth a lot when I first saw it some years ago and I read the book right after seeing the movie. That probably was my biggest mistake as it follows the trend I mentioned above with only a few additions (which might be a pleasant surprise to some). This probably makes the
Jessica
This is a must-have for Labyrinth fans.

It's just beautifully presented: hardcover, maze-patterned endpapers, and appendices reproducing Brian Froud's concept art and Jim Henson's notebook pages brainstorming the story. I do wish they'd put in some color photos from the film, but this does make it seem classier than the average movie tie-in. Story-wise this is just a straight up retelling of the screenplay, though. The writing is merely serviceable, and at times I wondered if someone who hadn't
Vanessa
Mar 29, 2012 Vanessa marked it as to-read
Shelves: reviewed
Adding this to a little list I like to call 'the Hunt'. I happen to live within reach of several second hand bookshops, and can easily find more in the next town over. And the next one. And the next one.

SALLY FORTH!
Denis Vukosav
‘Jim Henson's Labyrinth’ written by A.C.H. Smith, illustrated by Brian Froud and overseen by Jim Henson himself will be a real treat for movie lovers who had for the past 30 years enjoyed and grew up with an exciting tale of a Labyrinth through which young Jennifer Connelly must pass due to the challenge set before her by Goblin King acted by David Bowie.

Young girl named Sarah will be left at home to babysit her little brother Toby, but because he keeps crying Sarah, while telling him her favori
Gloriavirtutisumbra
This is a hard one to scare up these days, but as novelizations go, it is at it's most interesting WHERE and HOW it diverges from the original film. There are some little turns of phrase that left me enlightened to possibilities of symbolism and subtext, hiding in plain sight. Smith had some ideas that I don't agree with, as well (or perhaps i just don't like his vision of certain moments). I had always found the character of the Goblin King to be slightly ambiguous, more of a vengeful chess pla ...more
Eli
3.5
"Through dangers untold and hardships unnumbered, I have fought my way here to the castle beyond
the Goblin City, to take back the child you have stolen ..."

I had unnumbered hardships as well, for reading this book on the computer ... I feel like my eye balls are already burning in flames. But it was worth it. I mean, After all, I got to know a character like Jareth ... Wow, Jareth was awesome! But, unfortunately, few parts of the book were actually about him. Even in those few parts, all he
Samantha Penrose
Oct 16, 2008 Samantha Penrose rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: tweens
Shelves: young-adult
Tremendously descriptive writing has the Jim Henson movie playing in your head...
You get a little more background on Sarah--a bit about her broken family/actress mother, and some hints of rigid OCD style behavior...how things would be "unsafe" and "unfamiliar" if things in her room were not placed just so, and her love of multiplication times tables (because they are set in stone).
The morals of the story are more apparent when in print -- that "nothing {in life} was fair. If you expected fairnes
Lisa Bentley
Synopsis

After having yet another argument with her stepmother over babysitting duties, Sarah appeals to the goblin king to take away her younger brother Toby. When this actually happens Sarah starts a quest to retrieve her younger sibling and she only has thirteen hours to make her way to the centre of the labyrinth to confront Jareth, the Goblin King.

Review

Ok, so if – like me – you are a child of the 80s then Labyrinth will have been a firm favourite of yours. It most definitely was one of my f
Vanessa
Eh, it was okay. I didn't feel like Sarah actually grew as a character by the end of the book. They talk about her being more mature now but didn't really show it. I also felt like the sub-plot about her mother was dropped without a real resolution.

Sarah takes down the posters about her mother's performances but I still don't understand why.

As much as I love the movie, I think the screenplay also suffers from this. Sarah doesn't really grow, she just stops saying, "it's not fair!" but I don't
Sadie
A good book that could stand on it's own, without the movie. There's a bit more insight to be found here in the motivations of Sarah, Hoggle, and Jareth. You get to see a glimpse of Sarah's life with her father and step-mother, as well as read a bit about her late mother. I'll admit, she comes off a lot more bratty in the book, but she's a believable teenager, and grows all the more for it. If you can find it, it's worth getting for a fan of the movie.
Jennifer Erwin
I am a huge fan of the movie Labyrinth. I was watching it the other night and when Sarah pulled out the book to reread the scene she couldn't remember, it got me wondering, "is there a book 'The Labyrinth'?". So I go to Amazon, and discover there is a novelization of the movie...but at $800+, I'm not biting on that. Then I discover it's out of print. Bummer. I went to ebay, but again, over $100 for a paperback is just not on my list of things to spend that much money on. Then I come here to Good ...more
DK Hoffman
This is an adorable read. I recommend it for anyone who is a fan of the movie - it expands upon some things that weren't clear in the movie and has a magic all its own. For Jim Henson fans the reprinted note pages in the back are precious as Jim begins envisioning "Labyrinth" on paper. A very special book.
Lna26hp
¡Cómo he disfrutado esta lectura!
Una novelización de la mítica película protagonizada por David Bowie y Jennifer Connelly que marcó una época, con sus efectos y decorados tan ochenteros, que ha estado muy a la altura. La narración está perfectamente lograda y no es un mero guión de la película. Tanto es así, que incluso no sabría decirte qué fue antes... casi :P
He disfrutado con todos y cada uno de esos carismáticos personajes tan fantasiosos y sus diálogos tan inverosímiles en ocasiones, como f
Charleen
Actual Rating: 3.5 stars

For starters, I don't have a lot of experience with movie novelizations given that I've only read two or three. I've heard that they used to be very common but I guess I haven't really been introduced to them. I've always seen movies being made after novels not vice versa. NOTE: The novel for this particular story is obviously a little different since a book can't break out into song. But you can always play the David Bowie songs whilst reading it.

Scores:
1. One good thin
Nenia Campbell

If you are on my friend's list and do not know that I am a die-hard Labyrinth fangirl, then you clearly do not know me at all. So why are you on my friend's list again? ...I kid, I kid.

But seriously, Labyrinth- I worship that shit.

I really like the movie. Considering when it was made, and the materials they used, it had great cinematic effect. The glitter on the fake walls of the labyrinth? Loved it. The 80s Hair Metal Bowie costumes? Dug those digs. The muppet-puppets? <3!

Granted, it's one o
Fablespinner
My favorite Movie, one of my favorite books which gives great insight behind character motivations in the movie.. Good luck finding a copy of this out of print book and NO you cannot have mine!
Alisa (The Reading Obsession)
Am I the only person that hasn't seen the movie yet? Seriously?

I really enjoyed the book, though. Will review when I get the time.
Jaime
Loved the movie & love love this book! Hard to find in great shape & is $$ but worth it for any real Labyrinth fan!
Nemo
UUUUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.

So here's the thing. I love the movie Labyrinth with all of my fangirly little heart. It's the first movie I ever bought for myself on DVD, I have posters and a Jareth action figure and the soundtrack and I love it, okay, I really, really do. A little while back someone on Twitter mentioned the novelization and I went, WHAT, THERE'S A NOVELIZATION?! [Colbert give-it-to-me-now gif goes here]

And hey, wouldn't you know it? You
Kit
An unimaginative writing of a very imaginative movie.
  • The Goblins of Labyrinth
  • Return to Labyrinth, Vol. 1
  • Willow
  • The 10th Kingdom
  • The Goblin Companion
  • Legends of the Dark Crystal, Vol. 1: The Garthim Wars
  • Never Ceese (Thirsting for Blood, #1)
  • Finding Hollywood Nobody (Hollywood Nobody, #2)
  • Jim Henson's Labyrinth: The Novelization
  • The Cabin in the Woods: The Official Movie Novelization
  • Eternity's Edge (Echoes from the Edge, #2)
  • Adventure Time Vol. 2 Pixel Princesses Original Graphic Novel
  • Brunner the Bounty Hunter
  • Be Strong & Curvaceous (All About Us, #3)
  • The Restorer's Journey (The Sword of Lyric #3)
  • A Steal of a Deal (The Shop-Til-U-Drop Collection #2)
  • A Midsummer Night's Faery Tale
  • Honestly, Katie John!
The Dark Crystal Lady Jane Orghast At Persepolis, An Account Of The Experiment In Theatre Directed By Peter Brook And Written By Ted Hughes Edward And Mrs. Simpson: A Novel The Jim Henson Novel Slipcase Box Set

“Just fear me and love me...and do as I say...and I will be your slave.” 36 likes
“Everything. I have done everything you wanted...You asked that the child be taken. I took him. You cowered before me. I was frightening...I have reordered time...I have turned the world upside down...And I have done it all for you.
I am exhausted from living up to your expectations.”
32 likes