Start by marking “The ARRL Ham Radio License Manual: All You Need to Become an Amateur Radio Operator” as Want to Read:

The most popular introduction to amateur radio, this guide offers a unique mix of technology, public service, convenience, and fun. All levels of ham radio operators can brush up on their skills and use the book to study for their first license exam with the latest questions pool with answer key.
Published May 1st 2006 by American Radio Relay League (ARRL) (first published January 1st 1988)

To ask other readers questions about The ARRL Ham Radio License Manual, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The ARRL Ham Radio License Manual

Teri Anderson
Sep 05, 2009 Teri Anderson rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ham-radio
This is THE book to get for passing the FCC Technician class amateur radio license. The final section of the book is the actual 400+ multiple choice question test pool, from which 35 questions are selected for the actual test. The test questions are cross-referenced by page number to the material in the book, in case you need further study. The book is a great introduction to the world of ham radio, and I still use it as a reference. I passed the test the first time (after studying this book for ...more
Tom
Jan 06, 2008 Tom rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: serious n3rds
I missed the Golden Age of Radio, and my friends all look at me a little funny when I tell them I got my ham radio license. But there's something cool about being able to reach out -- no wires, no routers -- and hit another radio.

You can get your ham license the 'cheap' way, like I did for my Technician, and just memorize all the test answers. Or you can do it the 'real' way, like I'm hoping to for my General, and actually learn the principles. This book will help with either goal.

KI4ZHB, out.
Martin
Mar 06, 2009 Martin rated it it was amazing
Put on your tighty whiteys and your tinfoil caps! It's time to learn about HAM radio! Ohm's Law, variable frequency oscillators, yagi antennas! Alpha tango zero bravo foxtrot. You too can join the ranks of on-the-air nerds, just like Me. Meet me on 2M, 146.460. Over and out.
Travis
Aug 09, 2010 Travis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
This is a great and highly recommended resource for anyone looking to get started in amateur radio. This book has pretty much everything you need to know to pass your Technician license exam and start down the path of this hobby. I got my license yesterday thanks to this book, which was well organized and easy to use. All the questions are referenced while reading so you know what parts pertain to quiz qusetions, and each section ends with a list of the questions to review to be sure you got wha ...more
Kirk Lowery
Jul 24, 2011 Kirk Lowery added it
Shelves: science
Most of us use TV, cell phones and other radio emitting equipment that operate on predefined frequencies and power. The operator has very little choice: transmit as the device is designed and that's it. An amateur radio operator, on the other hand, has control over nearly everything -- frequency, power of transmission, mode and type of propagation (antenna) -- all within the rules of the FCC. With freedom comes responsibility. To demonstrate that responsibility, one must past an FCC test. This b ...more
Don
Mar 10, 2012 Don rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great resource for test study. I think that some items concerning operating the radio might have worked better if they were presented in the earlier chapters. This is especially true if you have no real experience with amateur radio. The motivation for pursuing a license is in what you can do with the radio, not frequency and dB change equations. This book and the internet pages recommended are a complete reference for the Technician's License.
Marshall
Jul 17, 2011 Marshall rated it it was ok
A book for studying to get an Amateur Radio (ham) license. It spends a little time at the beginning plugging their organization and on the history of amateur radio, and then plunges in head-first. This book is very dense. It doesn't waste your time with idle discussion. It has the test pool in the back, and at the end of each section, it shows which test questions were covered. I thought this book was pretty thorough until I took the practice test. Many the questions were never covered.
Vernon
Aug 13, 2009 Vernon rated it liked it
Good introduction to amateur radio. Don't buy it, get it at your local library. Honestly, most all of what you will need to know to get your license can be found online. One of the advantages of this book is that it has all the questions from the VEC question pool with cross-referenced pages for more information one each question.
Tennille
Apr 07, 2008 Tennille rated it it was amazing
I learned the basics and everything I needed to know for the amateur radio technician license. I highly recommend it for studying for the test. However, this one expires: July 2009. That doesn't mean you can't use this book to study, it just means the question pool in the back of it gets re-written (so it wouldn't help to memorize the questions neener neener)
Blair
Jul 31, 2011 Blair rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Literally everything you need to get a Technician license - the basic step needed to own and operate your own Ham radio! The chapters are very simple and easy to cover, and the book contains the questions and answers - verbatim - for every question you may see on the real exam.

Using this book and the study from it, I aced my exam (35/35).
Andrea
Aug 19, 2013 Andrea rated it really liked it
Whew. Definitely a textbook. And although the book is up to date with newer technology, some of the examples and style is definitely dated. But if you are planning to take the Technician (basic level) exam for your ham radio license, this is the volume to buy. NOTE: this version will be superceded by a new version in the spring of 2014!
Nathan Shepherd
Good overall introduction to amateur radio. Includes test question data bank, but provides additional background material with which to understand the context of those questions. Contains plenty of material to master, with an emphasis on voice communications operating in the UHF/VHF bands.
Robin Hemmer
May 27, 2011 Robin Hemmer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read this book to study for my HAM Technician license - good source of information.
Ken
Oct 12, 2010 Ken rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reminds me of math class!
Kenneth Finnegan
Oct 19, 2008 Kenneth Finnegan rated it liked it
It's a little light, but really needs to be considering the broad audience it's targeted at. It got me my license on the first try. -W6KWF
Charles
Aug 11, 2011 Charles rated it really liked it
A great introduction to amateur (ham) radio and all the info you need to get you technicians amateur license.
Michael Harris
Apr 10, 2013 Michael Harris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
On April 30, 2013 I passed the Technician Class exam ... The book did the trick. I just ordered the book for the General Class exam.
Charles
Apr 28, 2011 Charles rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kevin
Jun 04, 2010 Kevin rated it liked it
Good book. This helped me get my tech license.
Stephen
Jul 18, 2013 Stephen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the Technician level Ham Radio License Manual. There is no plot, this is a textbook. If you want to earn your Technician rating, but it or check it out from the library and study.
waits4thebus
Apr 13, 2009 waits4thebus rated it really liked it
Helped me passed my license test. Indispensable.
Dave
Apr 19, 2010 Dave rated it really liked it
Pretty much a standard textbook. Easy to read. Easy to understand. Thanks for the memories. I passed the test. I'm an FCC licensed radio technician.
Daniel
Dec 13, 2007 Daniel rated it it was amazing
I used this in the 1940s

Now tubes are gone

The circuits are different

But you'll still need it to get your license
Nadir
Nadir rated it liked it
May 22, 2008
Josh Durst
Josh Durst rated it it was amazing
Aug 13, 2015
Jon Wanzer
Jon Wanzer rated it it was amazing
Aug 15, 2016
Simon
Simon rated it liked it
Dec 09, 2013
Keith Partin
Keith Partin rated it liked it
Nov 28, 2016
Fr Bob
Feb 23, 2014 Fr Bob rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: t, amateur-radio
Very Good! Now ready for the Technician Exam; time to study for the General License
Joseph Mann
Joseph Mann rated it really liked it
May 06, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Feynman's Thesis: A New Approach to Quantum Theory
  • Changing the Game: How Video Games Are Transforming the Future of Business
  • The New Manual of Photography
  • The IDA Pro Book: The Unofficial Guide to the World's Most Popular Disassembler
  • Dos mundos: Comunicacion y comunidad (Spanish)
  • Molecular Biology of the Cell: The Problems Book [With CDROM]
  • The Art of Assembly Language
  • UNIX in a Nutshell: System V Edition: A Desktop Quick Reference for System V Release 4 and Solaris 2.0 (In a Nutshell (O'Reilly))
  • Making Things Talk: Practical Methods for Connecting Physical Objects
  • 21st Century C: C Tips from the New School
  • An Introduction to Behavioural Ecology
  • Managing for Quality and Performance Excellence (with CD-ROM)
  • Going Gray: What I Learned about Beauty, Sex, Work, Motherhood, Authenticity, and Everything Else That Really Matters
  • Modern Database Management
  • Principles of Compiler Design
  • The Mind at Work: Valuing the Intelligence of the American Worker
  • Sears and Zemansky's University Physics
  • Simon & Shuster Handbook for Writers

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »