Start by marking “Unmasking the Face: A Guide to Recognizing Emotions from Facial Expressions” as Want to Read:
Unmasking the Face: A Guide to Recognizing Emotions from Facial Expressions

Unmasking the Face: A Guide to Recognizing Emotions from Facial Expressions

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  563 ratings  ·  32 reviews
Can you tell when someone who is actually afraid is trying to look angry? Can you tell when someone is feigning surprise? With the help of Unmasking the Face, you will be able to improve your recognition of the facial clues to emotion, increase your ability to detect "facial deceit," and develop a keener awareness of the way your own face reflects your emotions. Using scor ...more
Published September 30th 2003 by Malor Books (first published July 1st 1975)

To ask other readers questions about Unmasking the Face, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Unmasking the Face

Nick
Paul Ekman is the world's expert on deceit, facial expressions, and reading the face. He has studied the face more rigorously than any other researcher, and his findings include proof that many basic facial expressions are universal among world cultures, that people have 'micro expressions' which last only a 20th of a second, but indicate concealed or underlying emotions, and that you can be trained to increase your ability to detect concealed emotions. This book is a basic manual of Ekman's fin ...more
Mary Ann
I am changing this book from currently reading to read, even though I haven't read it. I got about halfway through it and decided to use it primarily as a reference book.

The subtitle of this book is "A guide to recognizing emotions from facial expressions". The value is that it has many photos of faces expressing emotions and variations in intensity and combinations of those emotions. It's a training tool for reading faces, and it includes quizzes so you can test yourself.

You may have heard of
Emily
I was very pleased with this book. I've been doing a lot of reading on micro-expressions and watching documentaries and tv shows about lie detecting and reading body language, etc, and this book is one of the most helpful resources I've come across so far. Not only is it easy to read, even for those who are completely unfamiliar with micro-expressions or anything related, it covers the basics while not being overly boring for those who are familiar with the subject. Each chapter has very detaile ...more
Mary Overton
From the chapter FACIAL DECEIT

"Four Reasons Why People Control Facial Expressions
"We have coined the phrase DISPLAY RULES to describe what people learn, probably quite early in their lives, about the need to manage the appearance of particular emotions in particular situations. For example, middle-class, urban, white, adult males in the United States follow the display rule of not showing fear in public. Their female counterparts in the pre-matron or pre-maternal role follow the display rule of
Whitney
I'm obsessed with the Tim Roth show Lie to Me - this is by Pual Ekman, the facial expression researcher on whom the show is based. It's dry, but fascinating!
Petrie Serrano
This book is unintentionally a fantastic resource for creating subtle (or not so subtle) facial expressions for specific emotions or mixed emotions in cartooning, comics or portraits. Three-D modelers whose work seems to have a staring problem might also get a lot of use out of it. All the muscles used for each expression are described and demonstrated, and there are base photos in the back to cut out and use to mix expressions on the fly.

I'm willing to bet writers who get stuck sometimes while
Henry
This is an authoritative guide to facial expressions. Paul Ekman does a phenomenal job breaking down every little construct that goes into emotional expression, and does so in a very structured and straight-forward manner.

Although this text was meant as a textbook, it still felt dry, dense, and hard to get through. I'm sure Ekman has a plethora of stories he could sprinkle in to make this book a bit more interesting and still achieve the same academic rigor.

All in all in a great, if tedious, rea
Lisa Wolfe
Fantastic. This book opened an awareness in me that I could have never imagined. Within days of starting this book I realized how much more acutely aware I was of the microfacial expressions people all around me were making without realizing what they were revealing. I plan to read the rest of his books...who wouldn't want to be able to read what others are truly thinking/feeling without them knowing it? This book really has helped me to understand the emotions of those around me and how to bett ...more
Antonio Herrera
it is an excellent book to understand emotions of the face. Perfect to complement the study of emotion.
Andrea Luck
This was interesting. I think I expected a little more. The man's images they used in this book weren't as expressive as I would have expected. The woman's images were far more expressive and realistic looking.
Matthew
It reads like a textbook and is far less compelling than his other works that I've read (Telling Lies, Emotions Revealed). Both of the other books kept me deeply engaged and glossed over topics covered earlier in the book to save you from having to flip around.

I'm also inclined to believe that this book is simply terrible to read in ebook format unless it is completely re-designed for the format with links to jump to and from the sample pictures.
Diane
May 19, 2008 Diane rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who need to know the true emotion(s) of whom they are dealing with
A detailed analysis of how facial expressions are formed and combined to show emotion.

A great book for actors, counselors, interrogaters, and (I suppose) con artists.

I found the book interesting on a personal level. I sometimes read facial expressions that are at odds with what the person is saying and I was curious to see if I was reading people correctly. Yep.

Rachael Bottone
This book felt like reading a textbook. It was extremely dry & too straightforward. That being said, facial expression recognition isn't normally an area that I read much about or really have a passion for which may be why I found the book less interesting than I was hoping. Eckman may be a boring writer but I did find the book to be very informative & eye-opening.
Jason
Enjoyed this more than Emotions Revealed. What a kick: do scientific research and end up a celebrity! Is it all that? I'm still not so sure to be honest. I rather enjoy the fact that he makes constant reference to Charles Darwin. It puts the puff in perspective.
Tatiana Pastukhova
I've found this book easy to read, entertaining and very practical.
I love the fact that beside theoretical knowledge it also gives exercises which allow to apply and sharpen your learnings.
Strongly recommended to everybody and especially to "Lie to me" fans.
Stefany
It is a good book despite its (kind of) commercial title.

The remarks Paul Ekman often add are very proper. He is trying to avert his readers not to limit themselves to some ''psychological theories'' while judging other people's emotions and not only.
Aleksandra
The book really just states the obvious and doesn't actually teach anything new. It was quite disappointing as I was hoping throughout the book to find something I didn't know yet.
Cristina
Should be read in front of a mirror several times to be able to recognize the "signs" on other persons' faces.
Sally
Empirical findings on expression of emotion on the face, and the relation between facial expression and emotions.
Dave Peticolas

A mostly dry but occasionally interesting survey of how people express emotions with their face.

James Spada
A little disappointed, should have just shelled out the money for the seminar.
Jennifer Bucholtz
Mediocre read. Gave some ok information but didn't really hold my attention.
Todd Baltz
This is a good, practical book to learn about facial expressions.
Huishu Jia
Oct 24, 2012 Huishu Jia is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
facial expressions, micro-facial expressions, emotions
Vincent
Good intro into facial recognition.
Siva
Jun 13, 2012 Siva is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting so far....
  • You Can Read Anyone: Never Be Fooled, Lied To, or Taken Advantage of Again
  • Emotional Awareness: Overcoming the Obstacles to Psychological Balance and Compassion
  • The Expression of Emotion in Man and Animals
  • The Emotional Brain: The Mysterious Underpinnings of Emotional Life
  • The Book Of Tells
  • The Man with the Phantom Twin
  • Many Genres, One Craft: Lessons in Writing Popular Fiction
  • Louder Than Words: Take Your Career from Average to Exceptional with the Hidden Power of Nonverbal Intelligence
  • You Say More Than You Think: Use the New Body Language to Get What You Want!, The 7-Day Plan
  • How to Read a Person Like a Book
  • Making Up the Mind: How the Brain Creates Our Mental World
  • Liespotting: Proven Techniques to Detect Deception
  • Monkeyluv: And Other Essays on Our Lives as Animals
  • The Art of Speed Reading People: How to Size People Up and Speak Their Language
  • How to Be a Mentalist: Master the Secrets Behind the Hit TV Show
  • Into the Silent Land: Travels in Neuropsychology
  • The Nonverbal Advantage: Secrets and Science of Body Language at Work
  • Writers on Comics Scriptwriting, Vol. 1
American psychologist that pioneered the study of emotions' relationship to facial expressions.
More about Paul Ekman...
Emotions Revealed: Recognizing Faces and Feelings to Improve Communication and Emotional Life Telling Lies: Clues to Deceit in the Marketplace, Politics, and Marriage What the Face Reveals: Basic and Applied Studies of Spontaneous Expression Using the Facial Action Coding System Why Kids Lie: How Parents Can Encourage Truthfulness Emotion in the Human Face: Guide-Lines for Research and an Integration of Findings

“In some instances, you may care so much about the person who has hurt you, or be so unable to be angry with him (or with anyone), that you rationalize his hurtful acts by finding some basis in your own actions for his hurtful behavior; you then feel guilty rather than angry. Put in other terms, you become angry with yourself rather than with the one who hurt you.” 13 likes