Start by marking “Isaac Newton” as Want to Read:
Isaac Newton

Isaac Newton (Giants of Science)

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  125 ratings  ·  35 reviews
Here is a man with an imagination so large that just ?by thinking on it,? he invented calculus and figured out the scientific explanation of gravity. Kathleen Krull presents a portrait of Isaac Newton that will challenge your beliefs about a genius whose amazing discoveries changed the world.

Published October 16th 2008 by Puffin (first published April 6th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Isaac Newton, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Isaac Newton

AGastolek
This is a biography of Sir Isaac Newton. He is viewed as one of the most influential scientists of all times, but many of the readers do not know that he was “secretive, withdrawn, obsessive, ruthless, bitter, perhaps in need of therapy”. The book concentrates on his achievements and also exposes his vindictive side.

The author, Kathleen Krull, uses short chapters to present the life of the scientist. Each chapter focuses on significant events in Newton’s life that shaped him as a person and cult
Becky B
Halfway through this book I didn't know if I could even finish it, but I finally did. Krull is incorporating a LOT of her own ideas about why Newton did something or what he did/didn't really do. Even though she usually prefaces this by saying "he probably...", it still has this tone like but only an idiot would disagree with me. Given that this is written for middle school and upper elementary ages, what do you think they are going to do when bullied by an author? Yes, take that author's word a ...more
Anna W

I am currently reading Isaac Newton by Kathleen Krull. It talks about the life of Newton and when he is at a collage everyone is sent home because of a highly contagious deasease called the plaque it causes aches and high fevers and the telltale singing of having it is black swells. Newton calls this a wondrous year were he increases his studies. This is kind of depressing because today's there would probably be a cure. Also Newton must not like people very much because
it killed one of every f
Melissa Mcavoy
Arguably Isaac Newton is the most influential scientist ever. In lively and anecdotal prose Krull explains and contextualizes Newton’s massive scientific contributions and illuminates his prickly and often vindictive personality. Wry pen and ink illustrations compliment this irreverent treatment.

Krull’s Giant’s of Science series sets a high bar for entertaining and informative biographies. Her conversational and assured tone carries the reader along as she explains the personalities and scientif
Ruth Ann
This is the second book in the Giants of Science Series and Krull does not disappoint. The reader learns about Newton's many contributions: inventing calculus, defining the scientific method, constructing a reflective telescope, theorizing about light and color, joining the Royal Society, and most importantly, his famous book, Principia. Newton's Three Laws of Motion were a landmark in scientific thinking.

But Krull goes beyond sharing Newton's scientific work. The reader learns of his lonely and
Luke Benson
This is the odyssey of one of the most influential people in history. Even Einstein called Newton the greatest genius of all time. I always appreciate an inspiring story, especially when they're true. And what's more inspiring than a chronicle about a man that was knighted in the great dining hall at Cambridge, where he once waited tables. He began his life as a bastard child who wasn't expected to live past infancy. He was then abandoned by his mother when just a few years old, but ended his li ...more
Shaeley Santiago
A complete account of Newton's life and his importance to science. In addition to his contributions to physics, Newton also conducted many experiments with light and was an alchemist. He also was a biblical scholar (who could have been excommunicated for his views at the time).

It was during a year of relative isolation due to an outbreak of the plague that Newton made a breakthrough. "His patience and concentration were unparalleled - perhaps no one else in history has ever had the same power t
Chak
If you don't mind Isaac Newton being presented as a jealous, spiteful, exceedingly brilliant crazyman, then this is a great introduction (for kids) to one of history's most important geniuses. It's not true "history" because the author makes a ton of assumptions and wild speculations, but it certainly is interesting. I've read The Baroque Cycle by Neal Stephenson, so (even though that's historical fiction) I think I got even more enjoyment out of my son being introduced to the wackjob that was N ...more
Sally
JBIO NEWTON

This book was well-written for ages 10 and up.

Wow, little boy Isaac sure could have used a hug. He had a *horrible* childhood. My first impressions after finishing this book is that I'm certain he was autistic. (very intelligent, socially awkward-to-monstrous, hyper-sensitive to criticism, rigid and uncompromising, etc.) Being autistic made him difficult to understand, at best, and a strangely intelligent, freakish oddball at worst. I wonder if his mother was autistic as well. How els
Cameron
this was a very good book lots of information and i learned a lot of things about Isaac Newton. One of the things I learned about Isaac Newton was that he had a hard life when his mom got married the man she married did not want to have kids in her house so she sent him to live with his grandparents. He used when he got older he spent days just experimenting he would go threw without eating or sleeping and he wouldn't even notice. Isaac Newton would experiment things on him self like poking and ...more
Michelle Ault
This biography pleasantly surprised me by keeping me very interested in Newton’s life and by easily explaining many of the important events in his life. I learned that scientists don’t just have a specific moment where they invent something; it’s a lengthy process. Also, you can’t be afraid to “stand on the shoulders of others,” but you also then should not feel resentful when others stand on your shoulders.
Kaycee
Everyone knows about Sir Isaac Newton, the brilliant scientist; but how about Sir Isaac Newton, the neurotic enemy? Or Sir Isaac Newton, the strange outsider? Kathleen Krull gives a detailed and accurate description to Isaac Newton's life. She introduces to the reader the various stages of Newton's life going from his birth and lonely childhood to his school days and brilliant scientific discoveries to his death. The science in the book is well-explained and is accessible to readers just learnin ...more
Jen
Genre:Biography
Copyright: 2006
Krull’s account of one of the most famous historical figures was well written for the audience that it was intended for, 8 to 12 year olds. What is interesting about this biographical account of Newton’s life is the reader learns not just about Newton the scientist but Newton the lonely boy and introverted man. This is a good read however Krull often litters the text with her own inferences which young readers many take literally. Isaac Newton is winner of the follo
Jackie
Isaac Newton did a lot more than naming gravity and the three laws of motion. I learned he designed and invented the mathematical field of calculus, the scientific method, analyzing the universe with mathematical principles, the reflecting periscope, and was active in natural philosophy. He also was anti-social and manipulative when it came to his work, which he did not publish frequently--as he did not appreciate criticism. He also worked in alchemy: seeking to transform matter into gold.
Nancy
Part of my recent reading has included easy-to-read work on content area subjects (science, for example) And Kathleen Krull's book on Isaac Newton is my latest read.

What I found most interesting about the book is Newton himself---at least, filtered through the eyes of Krull. He was tough, uber-intelligent, petty, wildly experimental....etc. I'd like to learn more about him, see if other writers portray him the way Krull does.
Mei Rose
This book was so great! I knew about Isaac Newton's discovery of gravity and calculus already. His story appealed to me because I really like science. The author writes as if she knew Newton in real life. I learned a lot from this book. The chapters are cleverly named. When it comes to explaining some of Issac Newton's ideas, the author uses simple language that is easy to understand. The illustrations are whimsical and very detailed.
Jackie
Isaac Newton...oddball,determined,and fanatical, all of these, in a word, yes. Although he imparted to the world some important scientific theories, he was nearly a madman when it came to proving them, hoarding them and defending them. He was a loner, a miser, and a scholar. Krull states, "Whatever his weird habits, Isaac Newton is generally credited with more to the development of science than any other individual in history."
Allison
Kathleen Krull has got a good, great, excellent thing going with her biographies in the *Giants of Science* series. Newton? What a brilliant and with all due respect, rather crazy man. I had no idea! Take a chance on Krull's contributions to this series. I haven't tried any of the other authors in the series yet because her writing brings the scientists (so far I've read da Vinci and Newton) come to life!
Kathy Martin
Krull makes Isaac Newton human and his discoveries understandable to someone who isn't a science geek. Krull shows readers Newton in all his genius and pettiness. Students will enjoy learning about his experiments using himself as his own guinea pig and will enjoy hearing about his arguments with other scientists. Newton's work with optics, light and gravity are explained as is his fascination with alchemy.
AnnaBnana
For a kid's biography, this was pretty good. Krull brings in a lot of the gossip and little known stuff about Newton that will make him more interesting to kids than the science alone. She manages to really humanize him and make him about more than just his discoveries. And she doesn't do a bad job of making the science accessible for the most part. I'm interested to read some of her other work now.
Jenn
Although this had a strong basis in the facts of Newton's life--as well as decent explanations of his scientific work and discoveries--I was turned off by the author's relentless disparaging of Newton's character. Not that I want whitewashing, but this book left a bad taste of fault-finding and sensationalism, not balance and fairness. Don't think I'll be looking into any more Krull biographies.
Kristina
I picked this book for my home-schooled fifth grader to read (but note she does read above her grade level) to introduce her to the man who came up with the theories she was reading about when studying motion. After reading the book myself, I am completely intrigued and want to read a more adult biography of Newton. I had no idea the man was so fascinating (or that he was so crazy).
Michael
If you're interested in reading a quick bio of this Giant of Science, look no further. The target audience is kids (5th-7th grade perhaps), but it's great fun and "juicily anecdotal" bringing out the humanity and quirks of Isaac Newton along with introducing some of his notable scientific achievements. Recommended along with the other books in this series.
Tracy
I think Kathleen Krull is becoming my favorite non-fiction writer for children. Her books are clear, interesting and accessible. I did not know that Newton had a difficult life while he was growing up. He certainly had time to think, and to think deeply. I don't know if it would be possible for him to come up with Principa in our day.
Kris
I love Kathleen Krull's biographies. She always finds a way to make me care about people I'd not usually give more than a second thought. Yes, it has an index and websites and a bibliography, yes it's longer than 100 pages so yes, it will work for school assignments, but it's a fascinating enough book for pleasure reading, too.
David
I enjoyed this look at one of the most famous scientist in history. It was fascinating to me as I looked at Newton's social skills, or lack thereof, and the way that he treated people who questioned his ideas. Krull presents a well-rounded view of Newton for middle school readers.
Amy
Juve fiction...where my brain and reading level is now after having kids...maybe permanently... Anyhow, I always wanted to know a bit about Isaac Newton. He was a pretty interesting guy...apparently, pretty bratty. He was a major genius, though. Enjoyable read.
Kaylabookworm22 L
I really enjoyed it and learned a lot. It was a fun read
Liz
Read this when I was teaching about the Laws of Motion,etc. and found it to be very informative, yet entertaining. The author uses humor to discuss what could be to some a very boring topic!
Eva
The first in the series that I've read and I look forward to reading the others. My kids loves it as well (I read it aloud); comparing Newton to Sheldon on the popular TV show, 'Big Bang Theory'.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Bodies from the Ice: Melting Glaciers and the Recovery of the Past
  • I Feel Better with a Frog in My Throat: History's Strangest Cures
  • Ain't Nothing but a Man: My Quest to Find the Real John Henry
  • George Washington's Teeth
  • The Forbidden Schoolhouse: The True and Dramatic Story of Prudence Crandall and Her Students
  • Elizabeth Leads the Way: Elizabeth Cady Stanton and the Right to Vote
  • The Trouble Begins at 8: A Life of Mark Twain in the Wild, Wild West
  • The Tarantula Scientist
  • The Day-Glo Brothers
  • One Beetle Too Many: The Extraordinary Adventures of Charles Darwin
  • Reaching for the Moon [With Hardcover Book]
  • Eleanor, Quiet No More
  • Oh, the Places He Went: A Story About Dr. Seuss
Wilma Unlimited: How Wilma Rudolph Became the World's Fastest Woman Harvesting Hope: The Story of Cesar Chavez The Boy on Fairfield Street The Boy Who Invented TV: The Story of Philo Farnsworth The Beatles Were Fab  (and They Were Funny)