Moving Forward: Taking the Lead in Your Life

Moving Forward: Taking the Lead in Your Life

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  193 ratings  ·  17 reviews
Self-help expert Dave Pelzer teaches readers how to let go of the past, and use negative experiences to make them stronger when tackling the future.
"Learning from our prior experiences, we can, and should, aspire to fulfill our dreams, making life better not only for ourselves but for others around us during the course of our life's journey," Dave writes in the introducti...more
Audio CD, Unabridged, 5 CDs, 0 pages
Published June 24th 2008 by Hachette Audio (first published June 17th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Moving Forward, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Moving Forward

K.D. Absolutely
Dec 20, 2010 K.D. Absolutely rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those who need inspiration to live
Shelves: self-development
I picked up this book in time for the forthcoming New Year. I wanted to be inspired. Probably to get a better perspective on how I live my life. Probably to help me improve on my weaknesses. Probably to help me write my New Year's Resolutions.

I did not get anything really. It was not a totally a bad read though. I only got reminded on somethings that I already knew from previous books and seminars that I attended in my previous companies. I think I am either too old for self-help books on behavi...more
Reynaldo
Reading books by Dave Pelzer really teaches me something. Every time i finish reading a book by this author i learn something new and he is unique from his writing and by his ideas. He talks more about life, setting goals, going from bad and much more. Due to his past, which was bad and abusive, he has learned to turn from something negative into something positive.This is very important because not many people knows how to do this and doesn't happen overnight. It would take probably year, decad...more
Petra
I wanted to read this book because I've already read two of Dave's books: A child called it and The lost boy, which I found shocking but inspirational. I was curious what this strong person had to say in Moving forward. I found descriptions of his real life experiences really good (I liked them) and from them anybody can learn and get a strength for their own life (if they are weak). Dave made some really good points in this book which can help people who are stuck in the past, especially those...more
Tab
I picked this book up at a store in the Philadelphia airport yesterday. It's not my normal read, far from it. However, there was nothing close to interesting and this book was the right length for me to complete within my 5 hour trip back to Seattle.

Surprisingly good! If this was my genre of choice I would have given it 5 stars, but I have some difficulty immersing myself into self help/awareness books. But many of his comments still managed to find a home within me and had me questioning some o...more
Brianna Soloski
I've read Dave Pelzer's other books previously and enjoyed them. I felt like Moving Forward was kind of a lot of bunk. Lots of people can choose to move forward, but still may not succeed at what they want to do. Others can move forward and get the world handed to them. I know people who fall into both categories, and the happier people are the ones who don't have to work for anything.
Nancy
I am a big fan of Dave. Have read al of his books and this is his most recent one. For those who have suffered from abuse (any type and any severity), this book is inspiring of telling us like it is and let's us know...the steps to move forward and we can.
Mary
I really learned from his other books, and this one was good for its intended audience. I just don't think I am the intended audience. If I know someone who is really stuck, wallowing in the past, this would be a good recommendation.
Salas
Apr 28, 2009 Salas marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I had the opportunity to hear him speak and meet him personally and he blew me away. What an amazing story and a strong spirit. He was so encouraging when I spoke to him. All about courage and moving on.
Lorna
When Dave Pelzer speaks, I tend to listen because of everything that he had to endure in his life. I would have liked it better though if he hadn't at times used such strong language.
Dave
Sep 19, 2008 Dave marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I had the distinct pleasure of hearing Dave Pelzer speak, and I now have a signed copy of this book. Dave's is an amazing story of tragedy become triumph. What a wonderful man!
Tabbi
its very helpfull dave is such a wonderful writer i really enjoyed reading his books all of them.
Machelle
I just finished this! He pulls no punches and I loved the directness, real-ness, of this book.
Leslie
Dave Pelzer's autobiographies are much better than this book! He rambled a lot & went in circles.
Rebecca
have not read yet but good like his other book to
Kim
Vickey 0590 clark
This is a great book.
Joanne
Joanne marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2014
Kristina
Kristina marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2014
Barbara Signorelli
Barbara Signorelli marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2014
Jane Adones
Jane Adones marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2014
Maria Garenhag
Maria Garenhag marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2014
Tammy Kerrigan
Tammy Kerrigan marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2014
Veronica Mukundi
Veronica Mukundi marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2014
Nekquai
Nekquai marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2014
Callie Banks
Callie Banks marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2014
  • Ten Days to Self-Esteem
  • A Teenager's Journey
  • After Silence: Rape & My Journey Back
  • The PTSD Workbook: Simple, Effective Techniques for Overcoming Traumatic Stress Symptoms
  • Darkness Is My Only Companion: A Christian Response to Mental Illness
  • Death: The Final Stage of Growth
  • Hello from Heaven: A New Field of Research-After-Death Communication Confirms That Life and Love Are Eternal
  • Your Magnetic Mind
  • The Reality Slap: Finding Peace and Fulfillment When Life Hurts
  • Help for Women Under Stress: Preserving Your Sanity
  • Thinking Wild, Its Gifts of Insight: A Way to Make Peace with My Shadow
  • Night Running: A Book of Essays About Breaking Through
  • Being with Dying: Cultivating Compassion and Fearlessness in the Presence of Death
  • Misdiagnosis and Dual Diagnoses of Gifted Children and Adults: ADHD, Bipolar, OCD, Asperger's, Depression, and Other Disorders
  • Haldol and Hyacinths: A Bipolar Life
  • A Grace Disguised: How the Soul Grows Through Loss
  • Chris Will... The Story of a Boy and Autism Unawareness
  • Tear Soup: A Recipe for Healing After Loss
An author best known for his 1995 memoir of childhood abuse, A Child Called It.

At the age of 12, Dave was removed from an abusive home and placed in a series of foster homes. In 1979, he joined the Air Force and later became an author of memoirs and self-improvement books.

More about Dave Pelzer...
A Child Called "It" The Lost Boy: A Foster Child's Search for the Love of a Family A Man Named Dave: A Story of Triumph and Forgiveness My Story The Privilege of Youth: A Teenager's Story