Start by marking “Death Train to Boston (Fremont Jones, #5)” as Want to Read:
Death Train to Boston (Fremont Jones, #5)

Death Train to Boston (Fremont Jones #5)

3.65  ·  Rating Details  ·  325 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews
Autumn 1908 finds Caroline Fremont Jones and her partner in love and work, Michael Kossoff, traveling incognito, riding the rails from San Francisco to Boston. The railroad hired the sleuthing couple to investigate a series of accidents. But before they can solve the mystery, they become victims of the worst mishap yet when their train blows up near Salt Lake City. Was it ...more
Published July 5th 2000 by Bantam (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Death Train to Boston, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Death Train to Boston

Fifty Shades of Grey by E.L. JamesTwilight by Stephenie MeyerFifty Shades Darker by E.L. JamesThe Da Vinci Code by Dan BrownWicked by Gregory Maguire
Books You Wish You Hadn't Wasted Your Time On
208th out of 214 books — 61 voters
The Silver Branch by Patricia Kennealy-MorrisonShadow Magic by Patricia C. WredeSong of Sorcery by Elizabeth Ann ScarboroughThe Seven Towers by Patricia C. WredeThe Bohemian Murders by Dianne Day
Where Are They Now?
38th out of 89 books — 5 voters

More lists with this book...

Cindy
Sep 10, 2007 Cindy rated it did not like it
First of all: did she have to make the wierdo a Mormon? Are they just too trendy? I am a Mormon, and I was bothered by that whole angle. What purpose did it serve, really? Just to show that some Mormons are wierd religious fanatics. Well, so are some Catholics, some Baptists, some Adventists. But you knew if Fremont was crossing the country on a train, it would have to run into trouble in Utah, and rather than get rescued by a normal, average Mormon family it had to be the fundamentalist self-st ...more
Maddy
Jun 14, 2015 Maddy rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015-reads
PROTAGONIST: Fremont Jones and Michael Kossoff
SETTING: Utah
SERIES: #5 of 6
RATING: 3.75
WHY: Fremont Jones and Michael Archer Kossoff are traveling undercover on a train when it explodes. In the aftermath, Michael is unable to find Fremont. Driven by an angel in a dream, Mormon Melancthon Pratt has abducted Fremont and taken her to his home where he has 5 wives and plans to make Fremont his sixth in order to provide children to the group. She is basically a prisoner, as she has broken both legs. M
Val Sanford
Freemont and Michael are undercover. Posing as strangers on a cross-country train, their flirting turns to fear when the train trestle is blown up and Freemont's car goes crashing into the canyon. Michael is left to determine if she is alive or dead. With the aid of their friend Meing Li, Michael rescues a badly damaged Freemont, but only after she escapes being held captive by a religious extremist who wants to force her to marry and bear children.
Vannessagrace Vannessagrace

Dianne Day is masterful in creating romance around mystery.

What Michael doesn’t know is that Freemont has been kidnapped by a Mormon fundamentalist who has decided to make her one of his many wives.

Michael enlists the help of Freemont’s best friend, Maylene, to help him find her. While Michael and Maylene search for Freemont, she focuses on the one wife, a fourteen year old who doesn’t look pleased to be there, to help her escape.

Death Train To Boston is a great read.

Annie Fields tells this s

Cherilee
Aug 10, 2011 Cherilee rated it did not like it
I have enjoyed all of the other books in this series but this one had too many things I didn't like. The first was the authors portrayal of Mormons. A main part of the book is about an offshoot sect known as the "True Angels" but the overall tone towards Mormonism in general was not complimentary at all and at times bordered on the absurd. My next issue was the amount of profanity - for the most part the profanity has been pretty minimal in previous books but it felt like 10 times more in this o ...more
Lynne Tull
Oct 21, 2012 Lynne Tull rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
This is one of those books that you need to read at least 50 pages before you are hooked. It is a most interesting situation for Freemont. She is stationary while trying to solve the latest mystery in her life. If you will remember, there are two mysteries in each book...one involving her life and one involving her business. In this book there is always a nagging thought that the two may be connected. I will not spoil it for you. In the meanwhile, Michael, her life and business partner, is busy ...more
Rhonda
Jan 21, 2015 Rhonda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oh those evil Mormons

Delightful private investigator fiction in the pattern of Agatha Christie. A great little popcorn read that may send the reader on more Fremont Jones adventures.
Dawn
Jul 31, 2014 Dawn rated it did not like it
This was the only book I had access to at the shore one day, so I read it. I had already given up on the series. The only parts that weren't utterly boring were unreservedly offensive.
Roberta
Jul 31, 2014 Roberta rated it liked it
I enjoy the adventures of Fremont Jones. Only one book left to enjoy.
Melanie
Jul 22, 2014 Melanie rated it really liked it
Oh, Fremont, you do entertain.
Dory Codington
Dec 17, 2013 Dory Codington rated it really liked it
First, this was the first Fremont Jones I have read and I had no trouble figuring out what was happening. It is an intriguing mystery, that involves odd but believable people if you understand the history of the west. In all, it was a good snowy day read that kept me interested and ready to read more. I consider it a lucky find at the bookstore.
nimrodiel
I wish that I had realized this was the middle book in a series before I started reading it. It took a while for me to get into the plotline, and was confused a bit when past events were mentioned.

This didn't grab my attention very well at all.
Sandy
Jan 09, 2010 Sandy rated it did not like it
Not nearly as interesting or captivating a yarn as The Strange Files of Fremont Jones which I read a short while ago.... I'll try another, but if it is also in this less interesting vein vs the former, I'll probably look for another author!
Lisa
Jul 12, 2009 Lisa rated it really liked it
Another fun read by Dianne Day. This one takes us from the familiar setting of San Francisco into the wilds of Utah. A little less action in this book and hoping the final in the series will return to a bit quicker pace.
Carol
Dec 06, 2008 Carol rated it liked it
Fremont and her lover/business partner Michael are traveling by train cross country when an explosion at a railroad bridge in Utah causes many injuries,and Fremont goes missing. Mystery series set in early 1900s.
RachelAnne
Mar 06, 2012 RachelAnne rated it it was ok
Shelves: mysteries, historical
I enjoyed the writing and I like Fremont, but I was deeply troubled by the stock stereotypes of crazy polygynous Mormons, and the mystery construction was less than I could desire.
Sherry
Feb 25, 2013 Sherry rated it really liked it
One of her best. Michael and Fremont are in a train explosion. Michael is safe but Fremont is nowhere. So goes the journey of finding Fremont. Great story.
Sian Jones
Jul 26, 2009 Sian Jones rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
Train explosions! Fundamentalist Mormons in the middle of nowhere Utah! A city that Utah refused to put on the map! And -- NO BAD ROMANCE NOVEL SEX! Yay!
Melanie
Mar 06, 2013 Melanie rated it liked it
started out with a bang...interesting subject matters. became kind of dull. but again, very intereting subjects were noted. i enjoyed that.
Lesley
Apr 19, 2014 Lesley rated it did not like it
Shelves: fiction
Dragged a little, Held captive by crazy Mormons? Really? I hated this book don't bother to read this book a waste of time.
Karen
Aug 22, 2013 Karen rated it it was amazing
Oh my, a train wreck and Fremont is badly injured on her way home to Boston. Very thrilling in parts.
Jessica
May 09, 2013 Jessica rated it liked it
Dragged a little. A little anti-climatic. I expected a big showdown, but the end was kind of rushed.
Lara
Sep 07, 2007 Lara rated it it was ok
Ugh. SO my least favorite in the series. Held captive by crazy Mormons? Really? Blerghhhhh.
Laura Lee
May 23, 2012 Laura Lee rated it it was ok
Interesting series, pretty entertaining.
Catherine
Jan 28, 2016
Bonnie
Bonnie added it
Jan 26, 2016
  • The Devil in Music (Julian Kestrel Mysteries, #4)
  • Louise's Dilemma (Louise Pearlie, #3)
  • The Doublet Affair (Ursula Blanchard, #2)
  • Death In Lacquer Red (Hilda Johansson, #1)
  • Strong Spirits (Daisy Gumm Majesty #1)
  • Chapel Noir (Irene Adler, #5)
  • When the Devil Drives (Liberty Lane, #4)
  • The Conjurer
  • In the Still of the Night (Grace & Favor, #2)
  • Faux Reel (Imogene Museum Mystery #5)
  • Mercury's Rise (Silver Rush, #4)
  • The Limehouse Text (Barker & Llewelyn, #3)
  • Mark of the Lion (Jade del Cameron Mysteries, #1)
  • Angel at Troublesome Creek (Augusta Goodnight #1)
  • The Riddle of St. Leonard's (Owen Archer, #5)
  • The Misses Moffet Mend a Marriage (A Victorian San Francisco Mystery #2.5)
  • The Bee's Kiss (Joe Sandilands, #5)
  • Heritage of Darkness (Chloe Ellefson Mystery #4)
Dianne Day was born in Mississippi in 1938.
More about Dianne Day...

Fremont Jones (6 books)
  • The Strange Files of Fremont Jones (Fremont Jones, #1)
  • Fire and Fog (Fremont Jones, #2)
  • The Bohemian Murders (Fremont Jones, #3)
  • Emperor Norton's Ghost (Fremont Jones, #4)
  • Beacon Street Mourning (Fremont Jones, #6)