Start by marking “Fire and Fog (Fremont Jones, #2)” as Want to Read:
Fire and Fog (Fremont Jones, #2)

Fire and Fog (Fremont Jones #2)

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  519 ratings  ·  49 reviews
"With her independent spirit and youthful determination, Miss Jones is virtually invincible," raved The New York Times Book Review upon meeting Dianne Day's spunky and appealing new heroine in her debut, The Strange Files of Fremont Jones. Now Fremont Jones returns, awakened by a terrible rumbling, and nearly crushed by a falling armoire, to find herself in the midst of th ...more
Published April 1997 by Bantam (first published July 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Fire and Fog, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fire and Fog

A Game of Thrones by George R.R. MartinAngela's Ashes by Frank McCourtFight Club by Chuck PalahniukInto the Wild by Jon KrakauerThe Green Mile by Stephen King
Best Books of 1996
79th out of 236 books — 113 voters
The Silver Branch by Patricia KennealyShadow Magic by Patricia C. WredeSong of Sorcery by Elizabeth Ann ScarboroughThe Seven Towers by Patricia C. WredeThe Bohemian Murders by Dianne Day
Where Are They Now?
7th out of 89 books — 5 voters

More lists with this book...

I think it's the sign of a well written mystery novel, when the mystery is subtle and not in the form of a dead body which the main character just happens to stumble upon.

Bringing back Fremont Jones, the story is featured during the aftermath of the 1906 San Francisco earthquake. With her home destroyed Fremont temporarily sets up a new office with a previous client, Alice whom she stumbles upon while driving for the Red Cross.

Anonymous threats lefts at her doorstop, amorous suiters who refuse
This is the second book in Fremont Jones Mystery series by Dianne Day. This time typist and amateur sleuth Fremont Jones not only has a couple of mysteries to solve but she must do so in the aftermath of the San Francisco earthquake of 1906. What happened to the owners of the building in which Fremont had her professional typist office? Why did they have so many odd things hidden the building which the earthquake uncovers? Who is the mysterious woman that Fremont finds wandering the streets afte ...more
Kind of torn on this one. Fremont stumbles upon several mysteries in this one, but is, understandably, entirely caught up with the aftermath of the great San Francisco earthquake and fire so there's not all that much of an attempt to solve anything. Well, she puts a great deal of effort into solving one mystery, which gives her the answer to a mystery that she didn't know existed until she solved it. I guess this whole book was something like a mystery slight-of-hand.

Overall, not bad. But I was
Green Turquoise
It's rare to find the second book in the series to be better than the first, but I loved it even more. How is that possible? Great characters, gripping narrative, careful research, interesting mystery and engaging characters that you respect and understand. Plus social commentary on the times, an intricate but clear plot and a romantic subplot. This book is just sheer fun!

Fremont Jones is an amazing woman character, you will find yourself rooting for her and looking forward to more!
Another fun book in this series about Freemont Jones a victorian woman making her way in San Francisco and solving mysteries to boot. In this book the mystery centers around a series of events related to the great SF earthquake. Interesting little bits of history add to the fun.
Wise Cat
Oct 28, 2014 Wise Cat rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes strong females in an earlier time period!
Shelves: mystery
I found this gem of a book in a pile of withdrawn books at the library. I see it is the second book in the Fremont Jones series, so I missed some backstory.

Fremont is a cross between Kinsey Millhone of Sue Grafton's books, and Sherlock Holmes of Arthur Doyle's books. A smart, practical, way ahead-of-her-time, unconventional, amateur sleuth! She has guts, along with a witty sense of humor.

I once lost track of time reading this for an hour, as I couldn't put it down. She kind of reminds me of Dr.
I love the main character, and I relished the description of life during and just after The Great Quake. However, the mystery seemed a bit too convoluted in its solution to me this time.
Amy  Eller Lewis
If you're looking for a tight and solid mystery, the Fremont Jones books are not for you. However, I really don't care. I love Fremont Jones so much, and the care Day takes with historical and emotional detail, makes this wackadoo story just the ticket for me. I love that she has her own business, I love that she doesn't wear a corset. So often in Historical Heroines of all genres, she's very restricted in her movements, in her choices. And we say, "well, that's okay, because that's how women we ...more
I've been trying to get book 1 so I could start at the beginning (series was recommended by a friend), but apparently one library in the entire valley has it. So I went with book two. It is a fun series, even with starting with the second one. I like the main character, her independence and desire to be a modern woman, even though she wouldn't know that phrasing yet. I also like the experience painted of those who lived through the San Francisco earthquake and its impact on day to day living. So ...more
Carl Brookins

Ms. Day must do really meticulous research. Add to that her considerable talent as a writer and the reader will understand what it must have been like for citizens of San Francisco on April 16, 1906. That was the date of the most famous earthquake on this continent. Any writer of historical fiction, has among other interesting challenges, the task of making comprehensible to contemporary readers the period in which the story is set. The author must do that without losing the reader who can never
After San Francisco's 1906 earthquake and the fires that followed leave Fremont Jones without a home or office, she tries to rebuild her life while also running errands for the relief effort. But between the strange behavior of a new friend and Fremont's discovery of an inaccuracy in the list of quake victims, it doesn't take long for her inquisitive nature to get her into trouble.

This book is similar to the first in that there's more than one mystery going on. They seem a little more successful
Another delightful mystery featuring the intrepid Fremont Jones. Will Fremont & her beloved typewriter survive the San Francisco quake & fire of 1906? Quite the nailbiter (which is bad for typing skills). These books remind me of Laurie R King's Mary Russell novels.
Gail Fraser
Fun mystery series that allows our heroine, Fremont, character unfold and mature within the 1900's wild west setting in California. Fremont (aka Caroline) is naïve, but bold with a touch of bravery.
Second in the Fremont Jones series and very enjoyable. Quick read and interesting woman. I enjoyed it and am ready to start the next one which is called Emperor Norton's Ghost.
Enjoyed the continuing storylines and characters introduced in the first book of this series. The author's storytelling style shifted slightly, but the plot disorder seemed to parallel the general disarray of the Great 1906 San Francisco Earthquake, so it worked.
Fire and Fog is the second book in Dianne Day's Fremont Jones series. Everything gets disrupted when the earthquake hits San Francisco. Fremont lives for a while at The Presidio, in a tent in Golden Gate Park, and with another woman in her house. And of course there is a murder and other adventures come her way, including driving a Maxwell car around the city to help out with the earthquake aftermath. Michael Archer is barely in the book. Fremont wears pants and discovers she likes the freedom t ...more
This is a series that I plan to continue reading. I like the characters, especially Fremont. I would recommend it.
like Suzanne Arruda's 'Jade' mysteries, this is a good diversion from deeper more mentally consuming books. It takes place in San Fran during the early part of the 1900's - this particular one during the earthquake. It's great because it's teaching me a fair amount about the earthquake and it's aftermath. Perhaps some is fiction but on the whole I expect it's fairly accurate as regards to events of the time. Entertaining and a very fast read!
Last time I read about this character I learned some i
Ilze Sweeney
Tāds viegli lasāms gabals, ar kura palīdzību atsvaidzināt grāmatu paleti starp nopietnākiem darbiem. Joprojām patīk spītīgā un uzņēmīgā Fremonta, kas sevi mēģina pierādīt kā neatkarīgu sievieti 20. gadsimta sākuma Sanfrancisko. Šoreiz visa darbība notiek 1906. gada zemestrīces ēnā- kontrabanda, mīklaina un histēriska istabas biedrene, pielūdzēji un nindžas. Ak, un, mīļā Fremonta, pietiek nu tiepties, un ir laiks pašai sev atzīties, ka Maikls IR īstais:)
Endearing protagonist with an engaging voice in a fast-moving plot = fun summer read.
May 23, 2010 Gill rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Gill by: Buckboard
Shelves: month-05, 2010
Fire and Fog is set in 1906 San Francisco, as earthquake and fire ravage the city by the bay.

An interesting counterpoint to Locked Rooms by Laurie R. King - the latter being the superior book in my opinion.

The trauma and dislocation of the earthquake was not conveyed as well as in Locked Rooms. And the love triangle was a heavy-handed cliche!
Ruth Kevghas
The second one was even better than the first- love this gutsy lady!
Lynne Tull
I am still liking this series. However, Freemont is wearing on me. She has a temper which really does not appeal to me. Her temper comes across to me as that of an immature spoiled child who has not gotten her way. The issue that prompted her pique in this book did not make sense to me. Not only was it unreasonable, but she hangs on to her complaint way too long. It does not work in her favor. I cannot see why her friends find this acceptable. I am hoping that she mellows out in the next book.
Deirdre S.
Somewhat disappointed in how little detail there was about the 1906 SF earthquake and fire, but as this is a novel and not a history, I can't really complain. As a novel, this works as well as book 1 in the series, and moves a crucial relationship between two continuing characters further forward. Because Fremont has lost both her home and her place of business in the disaster, where she goes from here will be interesting. On to "The Bohemian Murders", Book 3.
Sian Jones
The second in this series, this novel incorporates intriguing material dealing with the 1906 earthquake and aftermath fire. It feels reasonably well-researched, and it's a mystery so I'm not going all fact-checker on it, though I'm not using it as the primary source for my California history class either. It's just well-handled as a milieu. The Gothic part of this one, comme ci, comme ca, but the evacuation to Golden Gate Park? Nice.
RATING: 3.25

Overall, I didn’t feel that the characterization was as memorable as in the first book. Many of the interesting secondary characters were mostly absent throughout the book. The new characters didn’t really touch the heart.
The believability factor was rather low in this one. An excellent job on the setting, though, and depiction of life in San Francisco after the earthquake.
Fairly enjoyable, although I did get annoyed with the main character from time to time. She wasn't exactly easy to relate to and much to prone to internal temper tantrums. I really enjoyed the first 3/4 of the book, but the last couple of chapters stretched my suspension of disbelief a bit too hard for me to really enjoy the whole book.
Sage Streck
This has been a fun series to read. I am enjoying Fremont Jones and her San Francisco adventures. My only complaint about this story was that there seemed to be a few loose ends that were never resolved by the end of the book, and Fremont's various romances felt a little too contrived.
I read this with a book group because the author had been a member of a feminist book group a friend and I had once belonged to. She was writing The Strange Files of Fremont Jones when we first met her. The books were kind of a disappointment.
This is the second additon to the Fremont files, and it definately gets five stars, but unfortunately it's the last in the series to get all five. The next couple are pretty good, but we're about to experience a definate decline from here on out...
  • Whom the Gods Love (Julian Kestrel Mysteries, #3)
  • The Doublet Affair (Ursula Blanchard, #2)
  • Murder in Grub Street (Sir John Fielding, #2)
  • Quieter than Sleep (A Karen Pelletier Mystery, #1)
  • Seneca Falls Inheritance (Glynis Tryon, #1)
  • In the Still of the Night (Grace & Favor, #2)
  • Grounds for Murder (Pennyfoot Hotel Mystery, #6)
  • Stalking Ivory (Jade del Cameron Mysteries, #2)
  • The Winter of Her Discontent (Rosie Winter, #2)
  • Hangman Blind (An Abbess of Meaux Mystery, #1)
  • The Alehouse Murders (Templar Knight Mystery, #1)
  • Hearts and Bones (Hannah Trevor Trilogy, #1)
  • Murder on St. Mark's Place (Gaslight Mystery, #2)
Dianne Day was born in Mississippi in 1938.
More about Dianne Day...

Fremont Jones (6 books)
  • The Strange Files of Fremont Jones (Fremont Jones, #1)
  • The Bohemian Murders (Fremont Jones, #3)
  • Emperor Norton's Ghost (Fremont Jones, #4)
  • Death Train to Boston (Fremont Jones, #5)
  • Beacon Street Mourning (Fremont Jones, #6)