Start by marking “The Teen Whisperer: How to Break through the Silence and Secrecy of Teenage Life” as Want to Read:

3.59  ·  Rating Details  ·  39 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
Mike Linderman is a teen therapist unlike any other. A real-life cowboy, he wakes up at the crack of dawn, works the cattle on his ranch, and then counsels some of the country's most troubled teens, approaching them with a unique blend of down-home honesty, straight-talk discipline, and pure intention that is rarely found in a therapist's office. Most of the teens Mike tre ...more
Published October 14th 2008 by William Morrow Paperbacks (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Teen Whisperer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Teen Whisperer

Alaine Davis
Feb 09, 2016 Alaine Davis rated it liked it
Linderman presents himself as a knowledgeable therapist cowboy, and the persona works most of the time. He likes Glasser's work--I do, too--but gets into it too superficially for my taste. A lot of the book feels like that: good ideas but not quite enough punch. Since Linderman works with severely troubled teens, I also felt like a lot of the advice and scenarios weren't that helpful and just seemed scary. Yes, a lot of teens get into drugs, sex, and crime. How does that help me convince my 7th ...more
Yolanda
Apr 02, 2014 Yolanda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I browsed through the first 2/3rd and then read the last 3rd of the book that gives sound parental actions.
Rebecca Nolan
Feb 26, 2012 Rebecca Nolan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. It is very informative. I find myself quoting and referring to this book often whether I am doing so as a parent, as a mentor to middle school mentees, as a aunt to my teen neice and nephew or as a life coach to other parents. Excellent source of information in dealing with troubled teens.
Apr 29, 2012 Laura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book takes one back to the basics of parenting teens in an easy to read style. Though there were some theories that didn't resonate for me, overall, Mike Linderman's thoughts were sound. A good read for parent's who need some tips outside of what they may already do.
Odile
Nov 18, 2012 Odile rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Teens need help and with keen eyes and mind along with empathy, there are a lot of ways to help them through the struggles of these years. Nicely describes teen needs: survival, freedom, fun, power and belonging.
Becky
Mar 12, 2008 Becky rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well this one was mostly for work and I learned that I already tell parents of teenagers the right way to do things so it only gets a 3. Could be good training for the book I am getting ready to write...
Kristen
Jan 23, 2009 Kristen rated it really liked it
Very interesting book - I would recommend for anyone who is going to have a teenager soon or has one already.
Sara
Apr 05, 2009 Sara rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
reality therapy....for teens...good examples to frame it for applicablity
Lisa
Mar 28, 2010 Lisa rated it liked it
Shelves: parenting
Pretty readable; nothing earthshattering.
Kathy
Mar 31, 2014 Kathy marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Rec'd by Eva
Christine
Christine rated it liked it
Jan 20, 2016
Diane
Diane marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2016
Norma
Norma rated it it was ok
Nov 10, 2015
Jenny
Jenny marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2015
Melissa Roberts
Melissa Roberts marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2015
Laura is currently reading it
May 12, 2015
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2015
Christina
Christina marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2015
Dr. Dan Davison
Dr. Dan Davison rated it it was amazing
Feb 07, 2015
Julie B Segal
Julie B Segal rated it it was amazing
Jan 05, 2015
Andraya Gardner
Andraya Gardner rated it really liked it
Nov 16, 2014
Brendan Dixon
Brendan Dixon rated it liked it
Sep 30, 2014
Steph
Steph marked it as to-read
Oct 15, 2014
February
February is currently reading it
Aug 05, 2014
Darcy
Darcy marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2014
Kenji
Kenji rated it really liked it
Jul 07, 2014