Start by marking “On Celtic Tides: One Man's Journey Around Ireland by Sea Kayak” as Want to Read:
On Celtic Tides: One Man's Journey Around Ireland by Sea Kayak

On Celtic Tides: One Man's Journey Around Ireland by Sea Kayak

3.87  ·  Rating Details  ·  115 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
A sea kayak battles the freezing Irish waters as the morning sun rises out of the countryside. On the western horizon is the pinnacle of Skellig Michael-700 feet of vertical rock rising out of exploding seas. Somewhere on the isolated island are sixth-century monastic ruins where the light of civilization was kept burning during the Dark Ages by early Christian Irish monks ...more
Published November 4th 2000 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published August 30th 1999)

To ask other readers questions about On Celtic Tides, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about On Celtic Tides

Elizabeth
Jul 18, 2014 Elizabeth rated it liked it
Compared to my normal reading speed, it took me about as long to read this book as it did for Chris Duff to kayak the circumference of Ireland. This is a slow, ponderous read.

In the run-up to my recent trip to Ireland, I picked this up for $3 at Goodwill, because I like to read about where I am. I never got to it on the trip, but it was nice to think back on Ireland while reading about it through the author's eyes. Just...could've done without quite so much stroke-by-stroke paddling description
Sean
Dec 07, 2008 Sean rated it liked it
Got a little tedious in the middle. I only made it halfway around ireland before giving the book up. Lots of introspection and water.
Euan
Aug 04, 2014 Euan rated it really liked it
I read a number of kayaking books relating solo expeditions at the same time and this was by far the best. Of course, it contained lots of gripping descriptions of the ocean, the scenery, the people and the culture of Ireland. It was also a very reflective book, with unexpected depth and feeling. Highly entertaining and inspiring for those who are interested in kayaking or Ireland or a mans challenge against the elements.
Hey_joe
Jan 16, 2016 Hey_joe rated it it was amazing
As a kayaker and avid outdoor adventurer, I loved this book. There is a lot of self reflection and local history which may or may not be your thing. If you have not kayaked, it may be harder to grasp the magnitude of his journey.
Stephen Noble
Aug 04, 2014 Stephen Noble rated it liked it
Nice mix of crazy paddling with Irish history. Learned a lot about both. Not your average adventure by any stretch of the imagination.
Ken
Aug 08, 2012 Ken rated it really liked it
Very inspirational. More than one of those "There I was..." kind of stories, Duff goes on to explain the relationships he forged with the people he met along his journey, and allows a peek into their lifestyles. Not "over-descriptive" and bragging like a lot of kayak travel books. I've had the pleasure of meeting Chris Duff, and he is a genuine, soft-spoken, and considerate individual...who just so happens to be an amazing kayaker and story-teller!
Fiona Lane
Jul 11, 2012 Fiona Lane rated it really liked it
Reading this book I became totally immersed in the experience of going around Ireland in a kayak. I loved the strength of the descriptions of the places and people he met along the trip. I also loved the passion he had for the sea and his clear intimacy with the journey he was on. I felt that not only was he open and honest about what the trip meant to him, he also sparked my desire to experience some of what he did on that trip.
Alicja
Jul 20, 2009 Alicja rated it really liked it
An intimate and inspiring account of a physical and spiritual journey around Ireland in a sea kayak. Chris Duff considers a privilege "to see both the setting and rising of the sun and to have the time to sit and watch the shadows change. Such an ordinary thing - and yet so extraordinary." Descriptions of his paddling experience, places he visited and people he met are captivating.
Marty
Aug 19, 2009 Marty rated it liked it
"Perhaps this Journey was not what it appeared. It wasn't an expedition, but an introspection...." (p255)
This says it.... I liked it but too much "head floating".
Susan Kerlin
Nov 24, 2012 Susan Kerlin rated it it was amazing
An interesting read for winter, good story and I found the descriptions of the coast of Ireland beautifully written.
Roger Barry
Dec 27, 2009 Roger Barry rated it liked it
Lots of introspection by the author along with the exploration of the coastal fringes of Ireland.
Lois
Oct 14, 2015 Lois rated it really liked it
Shelves: memoir, celtic
I enjoyed this book. You could feel you were on the sea with him experiencing the wind and waves.
Joyce
Jun 23, 2009 Joyce rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Bob, John Kouba, Ken
Recommended to Joyce by: Mike
This is an interesting story/journal of the author's kayak trip around the coast of Ireland.
Scott
Apr 06, 2008 Scott rated it liked it
This book will make you feel guilty for staying inside when you could be kayaking.
Allison
Aug 02, 2011 Allison rated it it was ok
author is a little full of himself, but there's some worthwhile bits
Sharon Librarian
Mar 01, 2008 Sharon Librarian rated it really liked it
Lovers of Ireland, armchair adventurers, and kyakers would love this.
Peter Carey
Peter Carey marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2016
Kelly
Kelly marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2016
Ashley Easterling
Ashley Easterling marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2016
CTL
CTL rated it really liked it
Apr 02, 2016
Matthew
Matthew rated it really liked it
Apr 01, 2016
Beth
Beth marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2016
Kyle Briggs
Kyle Briggs is currently reading it
Feb 18, 2016
Shannon
Shannon marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2016
Robbie Munger
Robbie Munger rated it it was amazing
Jan 26, 2016
William Hecht
William Hecht marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2016
Cortney
Cortney marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • A Course Called Ireland: A Long Walk in Search of a Country, a Pint, and the Next Tee
  • Jaywalking with the Irish
  • On Another Man's Wound
  • This Is Ireland
  • Booking Passage: We Irish and Americans
  • Guerilla Days in Ireland: A Personal Account of the Anglo-Irish War
  • Sun Dancing: Life in a Medieval Irish Monastery and How Celtic Spirituality Influenced the World
  • Round Ireland in Low Gear
  • Paddle to the Amazon: The Ultimate 12,000-Mile Canoe Adventure
  • The Road to McCarthy: Around the World in Search of Ireland
  • Beyond Belfast: A 560 Mile Journey Across Northern Ireland On Sore Feet
  • Looking for the Lost: Journeys Through a Vanishing Japan
  • Pint-Sized Ireland: In Search of the Perfect Guinness
  • North To The Night: A Spiritual Odyssey In The Arctic
  • Ireland (DK Eyewitness Travel)
  • Medicine of the Cherokee: The Way of Right Relationship
  • Venetia Kelly's Traveling Show (A Novel of Ireland, #1)
  • Story