Start by marking “Froggy Plays Soccer” as Want to Read:
Froggy Plays Soccer

Froggy Plays Soccer (Froggy)

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  475 ratings  ·  38 reviews
It's the day of the big game, and Froggy is ready. His soccer team is playing the Wild Things for the City Cup. All Froggy has to do is remember the rule: "Head it! Boot it! Knee it! Shoot it! BUT DON'T USE YOUR HANDS!" But Froggy's busy doing cartwheels and picking daisies. Uh oh, Froggy! Here comes the ball! Budding soccer players and Froggy's many fans will welcome Frog ...more
Published March 19th 2001 by Puffin Books (first published January 1st 1948)

To ask other readers questions about Froggy Plays Soccer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Froggy Plays Soccer

Audrey Evans
This engaging book shows the importance of teamwork through animal fantasy. The team chant "Head it! Boot it! Knee it! Shoot it! But don't use your hands!" is carried throughout the book providing an interactive element of the text. Froggy needed the support of his dad/assistant coach and his teammates in order to fully contribute to the game and win the City Cup. This is a lesson we can all relate to; we need a team to support and work alongside us to succeed.
Emily Levings
London, J. (1999). Froggy Plays Soccer. NY: Scholastic, Inc.

There are a series of books like this one where Froggy does something, and in this book Froggy is playing soccer. I liked this book because I played soccer as a kid, and I wasn't very good. I think this would be a good book for children ages 6-8. I enjoyed reading this book because I could relate to it.
Gianni Llano
It's Froggy's big soccer game and he's looking for a win. It sure wasn't easy, but the team and Froggy managed to out score the Wild Things. The story is great for children that are into soccer or just love talking animals.
Courtney Flynn
I thought that overall this was a pretty cute book about soccer. I think that the little song they sing, "Head it! Boot it! Knee it! Shoot it! But don't use your hands!" Will definitely help remind my three year old not to use his hands on the rare occasion that he forgets to do so on the field. However, I do not like that on two separate occasions in the book that the father frog calls to his son and his son yells back at him "Wha-a-a-a-a-t?" Where are the manners? Where is the little boy's res ...more
Taylor Milano
It is a cute little story that is a good way to remind people who play soccer that the only person allowed to touch the soccer ball with their hands is the goalie.
Judy
Good lesson from Froggy on how to be a team player. Kids and I really enjoy reading the Froggy books!
Julia Jasztal
Mommy's review from 9/20/11 -

I don't know that I liked this very much. I still can't decide. It was definitely fun to read out loud and Julia liked it more than I thought she would.
The story is about a father and son frog who coach and play on a soccer team, respectively. I liked the son's mistake toward the end of the game but I didn't like that he turned that around and all of a sudden was the hero... by doing nothing. It's not glaring but it doesn't sit well with it. It seems to me that quit
Joy
Apr 24, 2015 Joy added it
Shelves: illustrated
Frrrooggyy!

Froggy is excited for his big soccer game. Can he remember the rules and help his team win the game?
Cheyenne
This was cute. It reminds me of what it would be like if my son played soccer.
Lucia
My 3 year old was picking up the ball in soccer and often not even focusing on the game. Yes, this is totally normal for a 3 year old, but I thought if we could read a book about soccer it might encourage him to play the game and follow the rules. Well, I hit the jackpot because Froggy was having the same problems! After reading this light-hearted and fun book my son is a soccer star! No kidding!
Monica Williams
The always charming and funny Froggy continues being a success, even when he is not always being one. With the signature humor and charm of the series Froggy takes the field. Sports fans and just those little ones who like a funny story will find much love with the frog who is sometimes red in the face instead of green. The books always make for a great read-aloud for storytime.
Tiffany Abston
Froggy Plays Soccer is full of teamwork. The team must learn to work together if they want to win. Their team chant carries them through the story as they must remind each other what is and is not allowed. Students will see the importance of teamwork and working together for a common goal and they can see what happens when the do just that.
Katy Houseman
Froggy has an important soccer game today, and he has to remember to not use his hands. He made the mistake of using his hands, but he redeems himself by kicking the winning goal. This is a good book to help students realize that mistakes happen and that doing your best works. Great character building book.
Tiffany
This book has really cute illustrations. A teacher could use this book as a read aloud and allow students to practice the different word expressions. It's also a book to help students learn to read with excitement when they come to the correct punctuation mark. This book has great repetition words.
Brandin
Genre: Picture book/fiction

Topic/Theme: Humor, sports, learning, focus, concentration, responsibility

Grade Level: K-3

Classroom Use: Read aloud, independent reading

Comments: Good book for talking about being part of a team and concentrating on what you're doing.
Kayla Aiello
I really liked the sound effects after sentences!
I think this is a great book to read to children because it engages them with the noises he makes while performing certain actions and allows them to use their imagination when thinking of sounds made when activities are done.
Dolly
Jun 08, 2010 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Froggy is learning to play soccer. As always, he does something that makes him more red in the face than green. It's a typical Froggy book and our girls really like them, especially the onomatopoeia...Flop, flop, flop.
Asha Smith
This cute story about froggy playing soccer. He is so nervous he is going to mess up the game for his team so he keeps repeating not to use his hands and only head and feet. This book is a great book to read about teamwork and working together for a common goal.
Angie
Oh, goodness.

A children's librarian. Done some storytimes. If I had a nickel for all the times I've observed a student picking their nose ...

I am going to memorize the chant and use it from how on. "DON'T USE YOUR HANDS!"

ReadtheShelf Challenge
Michelle Higgins
Froggy Plays Soccer is a great book for making connections. This is also a good book for character development. In the book Froggy makes mistakes, but he tries his best. Primary students really enjoy the Froggy series.
Beth
Froggy and the team are drilled not to use hands on the soccer ball, but he accidently does in the game. Froggy makes up for this game by scoring the winning goal. They are allowed to use hands to give high fives!
Marit Thostenson
Rhyming and rhythm throughout the book draw the younger readers in. It is an easy first read for young ones and continues to leave smiles on faces for older children and adults when remembering childhood days.
Chrystal
We've been trying to get our girls warmed up to the idea of playing soccer rather than only doing dance. I think this book made it look fun, but confirmed their fear of being hit bythe ball. LOL.
Bryan Sermeno
I really liked this book speacially because it talked about soccer!thats the main reason i like dthis book!thats why i gave it 5 stars!
Carolyn
Jun 27, 2011 Carolyn rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: 2-5 yr old boys
Recommended to Carolyn by: library
Shelves: for-toddlers, audio
Cute story and good audio reader but a bit short for a CD. I prefer the audio collections to just one short children's story.
Ange
Another classic Froggy...

"Kick it, head it, knee it, boot it, But DON'T USE YOUR HANDS!" Our kids love it!
Bridget
The Froggy series is great. Lots of fun for the kids because each book repeats the same "catch phrases".
Benji Martin
This one isn't my favorite Froggy book, but the kids still like , so I still read it.
This makes a great read aloud as the students love to repeat Froggy's chant.
  • Alphabet Rescue
  • Curious George Goes Camping
  • Clifford's First Autumn
  • Duck & Goose, Here Comes the Easter Bunny!
  • Biscuit's New Trick
  • Bear's New Friend
  • Thomas and the School Trip (Thomas & Friends)
  • What Moms Can't Do
  • Duck at the Door
  • The Berenstain Bears Think of Those in Need (First Time Books)
  • The Very Lazy Ladybug Pop-Up
  • Growing Vegetable Soup
  • Down to the Sea with Mr. Magee
  • When I Was Little: A Four-Year-Old's Memoir of Her Youth
  • Dinosaur vs. the Library
  • Harry by the Sea
  • Pickles to Pittsburgh
  • Henry and Mudge in the Green Time (Henry and Mudge, #3)
Jonathan London is the author of several celebrated children's books. His commitment to honoring the wonders of the natural world has been lauded by readers and critics alike. He is the author of more than 70 children's books, many of which are about nature. He's also the author of the popular Froggy series. He lives in Graton, California with his wife and two sons.
More about Jonathan London...

Froggy (1 - 10 of 28 books)
  • Froggy Gets Dressed
  • Froggy Goes to Bed
  • Froggy Eats Out
  • Froggy's Baby Sister
  • Froggy Rides a Bike
Froggy Gets Dressed Froggy Goes to School Froggy Learns to Swim Froggy Goes to Bed Froggy's First Kiss