Start by marking “How to Save Your Tail*: *if you are a rat nabbed by cats who really like stories about magic spoons, wolves with snout-warts, big, hairy chimney trolls . . . and cookies, too.” as Want to Read:

3.49  ·  Rating Details  ·  160 Ratings  ·  54 Reviews
ONCE UPON A time, in a grand castle, there lived a rat named Bob, who was fond of baking and wild about reading. So begins Bob’s quest to save himself from being eaten by Muffin and Brutus, the Queen’s cats. How does Bob attempt to escape their claws? By telling them fractured fairy tales about his whole rat family (and feeding them cookies).
Published October 14th 2008 by Yearling (first published April 10th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about How to Save Your Tail*, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Save Your Tail*

Mamatufy
Jan 31, 2016 Mamatufy rated it liked it
Shelves: animals, cats
A rat's twin passions for books and baking bail him out of serious trouble in this decidedly entertaining story. Nabbed by palace cats Brutus and Muffin, Bob the rat saves himself from gruesome extinction first by offering a tray of cookies fresh from the oven, and then by going on to tell a set of fractured tales--one about his great-great-grandfather climbing a beanstalk to fetch a magic cookie-making spoon from a giant puss in boots; another in which his grandma gave Rumpelstiltskin more than ...more
Erica
May 12, 2011 Erica rated it really liked it
Book talk: Meet Bob. Bob loves reading and baking. Bob is also a rat, and he is about to become dinner. When Bob is surprised by two cats it's his cookies that distract them at first, but what really saves his tail are his tales. It all starts with his great-great grandfather Sherman who climbed a beanstalk and saved a magic goose from a giant. Bob is a good story teller and as each story ends he leaves a tantalizing hook for the next and the cats decide to put off killing him for just a little ...more
Linnea
Sep 21, 2015 Linnea rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
genre: Young Reader, fantasy

summary: think Arabian nights except Shahrizad is a cornered Rat, telling stories to a pair of cats in order to not be eaten. The stories are "ratty" interpretations of fairy and folktales (jack & the beanstalk, Rumpelstiltskin, Diamonds & Toads, Cinderella, 3 Little Pigs)

notes: more enjoyable to children with a good fairy/folktale background

for kids who like: fairytales, fantasy, talking animals, humor

age group: age 6+

my review: amuzing
Erika Gentry
Quick summary: A rat attempts to save his own life by telling a series of fractured fairy tales to 2 hungry cats. This was the August book selection for my 3rd grade daughter's Kids Jr. Book Club at our public library. At first, she wasn't quite hooked as she couldn't keep track of all the many characters. After we read it together-she really enjoyed it. I was moderately hooked-hence 3 stars.
Lee Födi
This is a cute book in which a rat is able to save his tail by telling tales to a pair of cats. Each story he spins riffs of an existing fairytale. It's short and sweet and is a good book to share with younger readers who are just beginning to find their way in the realm of chapter books. Such readers may delight in identifying the nods to the classic fairytales that they will probably know all too well.
Katherine
I snapped this one off the library shelf because of its peppy red cover with the inviting illustration and was not disappointed. Bob the book-loving rat saves himself by telling twisty fairy tales to the cats who have him cornered. The tales are charming and the illustrations are sweet.
Evelyn
Apr 14, 2016 Evelyn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: j-fic
If you are familiar with the classic fairy tales, this is a cute mashup of a retelling. If my children are at all indicative of familiarity though, this book falls completely flat for the age group intended.
george
Jun 22, 2008 george rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bob is a charming, smart, handsome, book-loving rat who is about to be eaten by two large and hungry cats. In order to (literally) save his tail, Bob starts telling stories about his ancestors. All of the stories are variations of famous fairy tales--but with a rat in the starring role, of course. Bob has to keep telling stories to entertain the cats, otherwise he'll be a pre-bedtime snack!

So cute, funny and entertaining. Very original and well-written. The fairy tales are changed to make them m
zalatawabooks
Short quick read that made me smile at some of the funny twists in the fairytales. My little siser's school library book that I wanted to read inbetween my much more serious books:)
Sara
Feb 13, 2016 Sara added it
Shelves: library
I'm actually re-reading this today 2/9/13. I remember that it is a very funny little book. :)
Finished it last week and still love it!
Naomi Campbell
Sep 10, 2015 Naomi Campbell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love reading stories that go back to the traditional fairy tales and tell a bit more of the story, or the other side of the story or whatever!
Jennifer Sharkey
I read this to my children at bedtime over the course of a few days. They enjoyed it, although this was somewhat of a suprise to me - I thought they were just spacing out and not paying attention while I was reading it.

And even though I was the one reading it, by the time the next night came I had already forgotten who was who and where we were in the story. I thought it was kind of boring.

The story is about a rat who is caught by two cats. In order to avoid getting eaten by the cats, the rat te
Catherine
Dec 02, 2013 Catherine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fairy Tale Fiends
Recommended to Catherine by: Judy Freeman
Looking for a fun quick read? Well, here you go!
How to Save Your Tail is a cute collection of quirky retellings of classic fairy tales. All the stories are told from the view point of a rat named Bob. Bob is not your typical rat as he loves reading and baking. When he is caught by two hungry cats, he must use his baking ability and the stories from members of his family tree to try and save his tail.
Interestingly, the tales from his family are all strangely similar to fairy tales with which yo
Gphatty
Great synthesis of traditional fairy tales. Not truly fractured fairy tales, this variation of 1001 Nights has a rat spinning family yarns to save his bacon from two story-loving cats. Elements from dozens of fairy tales appear throughout the book; the writing is clever and funny; and although this could seem to be another post-modern, spot-the-references tale, the writing holds up on its own. I actually think the author did a very good job avoiding the trap of continuously referencing other wor ...more
Tiffany
Jan 08, 2016 Tiffany rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: boys-n-books
Very clever book with a twist on fairytales.
Kay
Oct 02, 2015 Kay rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A cute book with fairy tale twists.
Breanna
Aug 26, 2015 Breanna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i loved it
Jean
Apr 14, 2008 Jean rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
There aren't too many fun books for transitional readers (like third graders) but this is one that could be shared with second and third graders in the classroom or at home. Bob the rat is captured by the castle cats. He beguiles them with his cookies and with the stories of his family. The stories are familiar fairy tales, but they all have a twist (Rumplestilskin is a troll who lives under a bridge). Lots of fun, short and filled with illustrations. Perfect for new chapter book readers.
Grace
Dec 15, 2014 Grace rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
We loved it. Nice mix of fairy tales.
Sharan Thind
Jun 17, 2014 Sharan Thind rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
These stories are great!
Sarah W
May 26, 2008 Sarah W rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: elementary school students
A rat, tells stories of his family to postpone Brutus and Muffin's attempt to eat him. Bob's situation as storyteller is reminiscent of Shahrazad. The stories that Bob tells will be familiar to children, though his rat family's versions have twists and combinations not often seen elsewhere.

This book was a fast read for me - taking 30 minutes to read the 90 pages. It'd be a great read aloud for younger children.
Beth
Aug 01, 2007 Beth rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: youth, fiction
I read this with my daughter and it was really cute! Bob, the rat, tells stories about his relatives so that two cats won't eat him. The stories are versions of fairy tales but kind of mixed up. Bob's last story is about himself (and Cindy) and it is really funny! This is a good book for a younger reader since the chapters are not super long and there are pictures scattered through out the book.
Kristi
I enjoyed this book, but only mildly. It's cute enough, with the main character a rat named Bob who bakes excellent cookies escaping, Shahrazad style, two cats who have caught him and are going to eat him. He retells fairy tales from his rat family history point of view. It can be amusing, but ends up overall feeling like it falls flat and doesn't really bring a great new thing to old stories.
Julia
Jul 28, 2007 Julia rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: middlegrade, 2007
It's Arabian Nights, but with a positive rat protaganist who's an excellent baker and well versed in fairy tales! what's not to love? (I particularly liked that in this universe, cats will set aside rats for eating if a good cookie is available.) Afterwards I really wanted a fresh out of the oven rat-baked warm melty chocolate chip cookie and a vermin-told story.
Paula
Nov 05, 2015 Paula rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wishlist, rats, illo
A rat-positive book of fractured fairy tales! I love it!
Shelby
Nov 13, 2009 Shelby rated it really liked it
iam 9.i read it in libraey and it was awesome.it is a really good book for children to read .it has fairy tailes tht kids love.except it has been made into even funnier tales.any age would love it. my mom would love it. if you havent read it, you should start reading it right now.
uuuu
Bill Prosser
Aug 26, 2007 Bill Prosser rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great fun for younger readers. Actually, all kids would enjoy this to figure out which familiar fairy tales are being parodied by story teller, Bob the Rat. The end papers are fun too, the front being Bob's rat and frog family tree, and the back a map of where he lives. Quick and funny.
Miss Clark
Corinna
Feb 21, 2011 Corinna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Corinna by: Maud Hart Lovelace Nominee
A very cute mixed-up fairy tales collection. I believe this is especially great as a read aloud. The book is structured as stories that a desperate rat tells to distract to two cats from eating him for dinner. The illustrations are fun and appropriate to the story.
Wanda
Mar 27, 2008 Wanda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an Arabian Nights story where a rat named Bob survives by telling two threatening cats a series of tales to save his tail. These tales are rat family stories that students will recognize as fractured fairy tales. Individual chapters might make a good read aloud. Clever!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Walter: The Story of a Rat
  • A Rat's Tale
  • Korgi, Book 2: The Cosmic Collector
  • Clover's Luck (The Magical Animal Adoption Agency, #1)
  • The Return of the Killer Cat (The Killer Cat, #2)
  • Gooseberry Park
  • The Clue of the Linoleum Lederhosen (Pals in Peril, #2)
  • The Adventures of Sir Gawain the True (Knights' Tales, #3)
  • Harriet the Invincible (Hamster Princess, #1)
  • Malcolm at Midnight
  • Soupy Saturdays with the Pain and the Great One
  • Rocket and Groot: Stranded on Planet Strip Mall!
  • Hook
  • Dear Max
  • The Pepins and Their Problems
  • Smarter than Squirrels (Down Girl and Sit)
  • Kaput and Zosky