Start by marking “Blood Follows (The Tales of Bauchelain and Korbal Broach, #1)” as Want to Read:
Blood Follows (The Tales of Bauchelain and Korbal Broach, #1)

Blood Follows (The Tales of Bauchelain and Korbal Broach #1)

3.84  ·  Rating Details ·  1,437 Ratings  ·  53 Reviews
All is not well in Lamentable Moll. A sinister, diabolical killer stalks the port city's narrow, barrow-humped streets, and panic grips the citizens like a fever. Emancipor Reese is no exception, and indeed, with his legendary ill luck, it's worse for him than for most. Not only was his previous employer the unknown killer's latest victim, but Emancipor is out of work. And ...more
Published August 1st 2005 by Night Shade Books (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Blood Follows, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blood Follows

Gavin
Jul 02, 2015 Gavin rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
This novella was like a regular Malazan story in miniature. It followed the familiar structure of introducing a number of characters, each with their own motivations and interests, and then weaving all their stories into an exciting converging climax. As this was a Malazan novella readers of the main series benefit from already recognizing the setting, the magic, the pantheon of Gods, and the non-human races.

Blood Follows told the tale of how Emancipor Reese can to be in the employ of the nefar
Nate
Sep 26, 2016 Nate rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a nice little Malazan snack (as opposed to the usual Westeros-sized dinner we usually get from Erikson.) It’s only about a hundred pages and is a little different for Erikson in that it’s kind of a murder-mystery and even dare I say a kind of Malazan police procedural, as well as being a kind of origin story for how Emancipor Reese started working for mega-creeps Bauchelain & Korbal Broach. The basic plot is that a nightly series of gruesome murders are being committed in the awesom ...more
Tiara
Mar 02, 2016 Tiara rated it liked it
More Reviews @ The BiblioSanctum

Coming on the heels of my first foray into the Malazan empire (Gardens of the Moon) is Blood Follows, a short novella revolving around events outside the main story. Blood Follows takes place in the town of Lamentable Moll in a region called Theft. Emancipor Reese has lost yet another job as yet another of his employers dies an ill-fated death. Mancy’s, as he’s called by his friends and wife, latest employer becomes the 11th victim to a serial killer stalking the
Aventinus
Πάνω από 20 βιβλία αποτελούν τον κόσμο του Malazan (και συνεχίζουν να γράφονται) κι αν θέλει κάποιος να διαβάσει τα πάντα - με την πιο λογική σειρά - τότε το Blood Follows είναι στη θέση No.3 σύμφωνα με το Malazan Wikia.

Το Blood Follows είναι το πρώτο μέρος της σειράς The Tales of Bauchelain and Korbal Broach η οποία ακολουθεί την ιστορία των δύο necromancers, του Bauchelain και του Korbal Broach καθώς και του υπηρέτη τους, Emancipor, ο οποίος είναι ο Κακομοίρογλου αλά Malazan και η ιστορίa αφο
Jay  The Crippled God
Interesting. A basic back story with some interesting passages.

Not a necessary read ( doesn't have information ) that will enrich the Malazan series. Yet, an interesting read.
Grace
”Who the hell are these guys? What is their purpose and why am I reading about them?”

That was the thought that dominated my mind at the conclusion of Blood Follows, this first short story of three that I would be reading ahead of Memories of Ice about title characters Korbal Broach and Bauchelain.

We are introduced to Emancipor Reese, jobless and luckless in a bit of a hole in the wall of a port city called Lamentable Moll. He sort of dumb luck’s his way into employment as a manservant of Bauchel
Jenna Kathleen
Jul 03, 2016 Jenna Kathleen rated it liked it
Shelves: canadian-authors
I wish I followed the ultimate reading order and read this before MOI. Bauchelain, Korbal Broach and Emancipator were all characters who seemed to just "be there." I didn't love them; I didn't hate them. After reading Blood Follows, I think I would have enjoyed their adventures in MOI more so now I hope to see more of this group in the main series.
Mē-chan
Apr 09, 2015 Mē-chan rated it liked it
Blood Follows or how Emancipor Reese came to be employed with Bauchelain and Korbal Broach. Poor old Mancy, it didn't start well for him.
Cool little novella, if you like this trio in the Malazan series, you will find it interesting.
Saskia
May 19, 2016 Saskia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
I enjoyed this novella very much. The city of Lamentable Moll is very peculiar and mysterious and even more so are its inhabitants. A fun and interesting introduction to Bauchelain and Korbal Broach, which combines horror and comedy very well.
Scott  Hitchcock
Jun 04, 2016 Scott Hitchcock rated it liked it
Shelves: gd-fantasy, malazan
3.5*'s. Certainly not epic like the main series but some good tongue in cheek caustic humor.
Mens Rea
Jan 02, 2016 Mens Rea rated it really liked it
What this book is about:

We are in Lamentable Moll where a series of murders - 11 so far - have taken place over the course of 11 nights. The people are panicking and Sergeant Guld is appointed the task of finding the killer by King Seljure. Meanwhile, Emancipor Reese, a man with a legendary ill luck, is looking for a new job. His previous employer was one of the 11 victims of the vicious murderer, but Reese cannot afford unemployment. Lucky for him though, two mysterious new-comers are looking f
Edward Rathke
May 21, 2016 Edward Rathke rated it really liked it
Interesting to see Erikson at this scope. It was a funny and fun and interesting little whodunit.

Erikson's working on a smaller canvas here but he's still keeping things great, and it really ramps up near the end.

A different side to this epic world--I'll probably dig into a few more of these as well.
Amanda
Jun 10, 2015 Amanda rated it really liked it
This first foray into the novellas was brief, but entertaining and they have all the flavour of the main novels without some of the weightiness and gravity.
M Hamed
Nov 20, 2015 M Hamed rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2015, fantasy
the most disgusting thing i have ever read (view spoiler)
Kunal Garg
Jun 02, 2014 Kunal Garg rated it really liked it
Shirt but fun nonetheless!
Nicholas
May 28, 2016 Nicholas rated it it was amazing
Shelves: malazan
Blood Follows is the first of a series of short stories set in the Malazan world following Beauchelain and Korbal Broach, a pair of necromancers who figure tangentially in Memories of Ice. I found it kind of odd that, unlike all of the other characters in that epic, this duo seemed thrust into the middle of the action with pretty much zero context and that their tale for the most part is completely self-contained. They were a genuine mystery.

In this novella we learn how poor Emancipor (Mancy) Re
Laura Hughes
Jul 29, 2015 Laura Hughes rated it it was amazing
Blood Follows is Steven Erikson’s first Malazan novella, the first in a series detailing the nefarious exploits of necromantic duo Bauchelain and Korbal Broach.

Bauchelain and Broach made their Malazan debut in the third book of the main series, Memories of Ice, in which they played a minor part in a battle outside the city of Capustan. Here we were also introduced to their long-suffering manservant Emancipor Reese, and made to wonder just how ‘’Mancy the Luckless’ came to work for his unnatura
Brad
Jul 31, 2015 Brad rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, z-2015
Pretty good little story from Erikson, and nice to read something from him clocking under 600 pages. Bauchelain and Korbal Broach are a pair of necromancers who come up a couple of times in the main Malazan series, but here we learn more about them and their activities. Neither is someone you'd care to spend much time with, and poor Emancipor Reese finds that working and traveling with them is a step up from his home life.

Murders are occurring and Lamentable Moll and Sergeant Guld is trying to
Jo
Jan 26, 2009 Jo rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
The book opened with bells "peeling." Lots of peeling bells. This drove me nuts. Bells peal; they don't peel. Unless their finish is coming off or something, and I don't think this is what the author meant. And the worst part is that about halfway through the book, there was something about "the peal of the bells." So Erikson knows which one is right; he's just too dumb to realize that he used the wrong "peel" homophone, or he's too lazy to get it fixed when he found it. However, despite this i ...more
Clay
Sep 18, 2008 Clay rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Bauchelain and Korbal Broach are two of the most fascinating background characters in Steven Erikson's Malazan Book of the Fallen series. They are delightfully macabre and deliciously devoid of any morally redeeming qualities. This makes them the perfect subject for a series of short stories written in the horror/suspense vein.

Blood Follows: A Tale of Bauchelain and Korbal Broach tells the origin story of the overly henpecked Emancipor Reese's employment with the wonderfully infamous and fantas
Rob
Jan 28, 2012 Rob rated it really liked it
...These novellas are generally much lighter reading than the enormously complex Malazan novels. I enjoyed this first Bauchelain and Korbal Broach a lot but when you get right down to it, they novella suffers form a problem that many other works of this length encounter as well. The number of words spend on it, don't really seems sufficient to do the story justice. The end is quite abrupt, maybe a little rushed. The introduction of the pursuer of Bauchelain and Korbal Broach could have used a bi ...more
Brian
Sep 06, 2016 Brian rated it liked it
It is nice to have something short to read from Erikson as a break during my Malazan marathon. This is a dark and droll novella that is a lot of fun to read. This focuses on Mancy as he first becomes a manservant to the delightfully twisted necromancers, Bauchelain and Korbal Broach, with a secondary story involving Guld as he investigates a series of murders. Both lead characters are fantastic, funny and fully developed within the confines of a pretty short story. Impressive.

One quibble is that
Juraj Rebra
Apr 15, 2016 Juraj Rebra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Finally, I needed some Erikson. Can't get through ROTCG and don't have time to read any other thick book so this short refreshment came really handy.
It's the origin story of the infamous trio from Memories of Ice. I was afraid Erikson would change his style of writing a little. I didn't want a comedy story à la Willful Child but luckily it's written in the exact same style as Book of the Fallen.
While it's nothing groundbreaking the atmosphere is great, even though I was hoping to see more horror
Monique
Jan 05, 2017 Monique rated it really liked it
I read this novella after I read Memories of Ice as I wanted a break from such large books and I want to read all of the books in the Malazan series. It introduces Emancipor Reese and how and why he agrees to become employed by Bauchelain and Korbal Broach. When I read Memories of Ice I couldn’t understand why he would stay with those two serial killers for so long but after reading this novella it made sense. This novella really explores Emancipor Reese well and shines some light on who he is, ...more
Cj
Nov 26, 2015 Cj rated it it was amazing
This one is a mix somewhere between H.P. Lovecraft and Glen Cook. I loved it; it's extremely short and I devoted it in one sitting. It is everything I love about the Malazan books, simplified and condensed.

Read if: you love the Malazan novels; want something a bit spooky set in a high fantasy world; just love weird high fantasy.

Don't read if: you didn't enjoy Malazan; do not like having to figure out specific terminology on your own in fantasy; do not liked gore, murder and stories of necromanc
Nelson
Oct 19, 2013 Nelson rated it really liked it
Nice little prequel story to these terrible, terrible characters. The Malazan universe is filled with great power duos: Mappo & Icarium, Quick Ben & Kalam, Anomander Rake & Caladan Brood, Shadowthrone & Cotillion, and so on. But Bauchelain and Korbal are the creepiest and more amoral of all of them. Poor Mancy.

I'll just keep reading these novellas between the main book series, so they can keep their freshness.
David James
Jan 18, 2013 David James rated it it was ok
Found this on the "Staff Picks" shelf at the local library and figured I'd give it a whirl. A bit disjointed and the characters didn't offer much. Since I'm unfamiliar with both the author and the series this book springs from, perhaps I'd have enjoyed this more if I had come at it with the background of having read the larger series, but this novella didn't entice me to want to delve into anything else.
Nikola Tasev
Jun 24, 2011 Nikola Tasev rated it liked it
Disappointing, because the only new thing the tale offered was the reason Korbal Broach does all the things he does, in a single sentence at the end. Full of all the original-in-the-books-at-first, but already very boring characters, and pretty much the same things that happen in the book. If you are a fan of the style the main books are written you may like it.
Graeme Wyllie
Jun 10, 2015 Graeme Wyllie rated it really liked it
#3 in my Malazan reread and a short novella length and comic diversion from the main 10 book cycle. Chronologically, it brings together three characters who will pop up early on in Memories of Ice, stylistically it's a dark yet humorous deleted scene from the main MBotF narrative. Not essential, seeped in Erikson's style and namings and quick to read.
anyone interested in passing this book along? 1 9 Jun 19, 2009 08:02AM
  • Blood and Bone (Malazan Empire #5)
  • Seal of the Worm (Shadows of the Apt, #10)
  • The Judging Eye (Aspect-Emperor, #1)
  • Water Sleeps (The Chronicles of the Black Company, #8)
  • A Magic of Twilight (The Nessantico Cycle, #1)
Steven Erikson is the pseudonym of Steve Rune Lundin, a Canadian novelist, who was educated and trained as both an archaeologist and anthropologist. His best-known work is the on-going series, the Malazan Book of the Fallen.

More about Steven Erikson...

The Tales of Bauchelain and Korbal Broach (6 books)
  • The Healthy Dead (The Tales of Bauchelain and Korbal Broach, #2)
  • The Lees of Laughter's End (The Tales of Bauchelain and Korbal Broach, #3)
  • Crack'd Pot Trail (The Tales of Bauchelain and Korbal Broach, #4)
  • The Wurms of Blearmouth (The Tales of Bauchelain and Korbal Broach, #5)
  • The Fiends of Nightmaria  (The Tales of Bauchelain and Korbal Broach, #6)