Blood Follows (The Tales of Bauchelain and Korbal Broach #1)

Blood Follows (The Tales of Bauchelain and Korbal Broach #1)

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  858 ratings  ·  23 reviews
All is not well in Lamentable Moll. A sinister, diabolical killer stalks the port city's narrow, barrow-humped streets, and panic grips the citizens like a fever. Emancipor Reese is no exception, and indeed, with his legendary ill luck, it's worse for him than for most. Not only was his previous employer the unknown killer's latest victim, but Emancipor is out of work. And...more
Published August 1st 2005 by Night Shade Books (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Blood Follows, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blood Follows

Brian
It is nice to have something short to read from Erikson as a break during my Malazan marathon. This is a dark and droll novella that is a lot of fun to read. This focuses on Mancy as he first becomes a manservant to the delightfully twisted necromancers, Bauchelain and Korbal Broach, with a secondary story involving Guld as he investigates a series of murders. Both lead characters are fantastic, funny and fully developed within the confines of a pretty short story. Impressive.

One quibble is that...more
Clay
Bauchelain and Korbal Broach are two of the most fascinating background characters in Steven Erikson's Malazan Book of the Fallen series. They are delightfully macabre and deliciously devoid of any morally redeeming qualities. This makes them the perfect subject for a series of short stories written in the horror/suspense vein.

Blood Follows: A Tale of Bauchelain and Korbal Broach tells the origin story of the overly henpecked Emancipor Reese's employment with the wonderfully infamous and fantas...more
David Hunter
This promised much but ultimately failed to deliver.

Erikson has his strengths: names, Lamentable Moll is a great name for a city, partly because of its sheer unlikeliness; a flair for setting; a nice turn of phrase.

However this is essentially an old-fashioned detective story (with added sorcery and gore) that utterly fails to deliver the goods in the manner of such. There was a point near the end where the story began to remind me of Trow's The Adventures of Inspector Lestrade, except that...more
Kristina Jo
The book opened with bells "peeling." Lots of peeling bells. This drove me nuts. Bells peal; they don't peel. Unless their finish is coming off or something, and I don't think this is what the author meant. And the worst part is that about halfway through the book, there was something about "the peal of the bells." So Erikson knows which one is right; he's just too dumb to realize that he used the wrong "peel" homophone, or he's too lazy to get it fixed when he found it. However, despite this i...more
Rob
...These novellas are generally much lighter reading than the enormously complex Malazan novels. I enjoyed this first Bauchelain and Korbal Broach a lot but when you get right down to it, they novella suffers form a problem that many other works of this length encounter as well. The number of words spend on it, don't really seems sufficient to do the story justice. The end is quite abrupt, maybe a little rushed. The introduction of the pursuer of Bauchelain and Korbal Broach could have used a bi...more
Michael
Goofy and macabre. Feels a lot like Leiber's Fafhrd and the Mouser books; written in a lighter, quirkier way than his "Malazan" story. Not as dreamlike as Leiber, but also darker.
Kunal Garg
Shirt but fun nonetheless!
Nelson
Nice little prequel story to these terrible, terrible characters. The Malazan universe is filled with great power duos: Mappo & Icarium, Quick Ben & Kalam, Anomander Rake & Caladan Brood, Shadowthrone & Cotillion, and so on. But Bauchelain and Korbal are the creepiest and more amoral of all of them. Poor Mancy.

I'll just keep reading these novellas between the main book series, so they can keep their freshness.
David James
Found this on the "Staff Picks" shelf at the local library and figured I'd give it a whirl. A bit disjointed and the characters didn't offer much. Since I'm unfamiliar with both the author and the series this book springs from, perhaps I'd have enjoyed this more if I had come at it with the background of having read the larger series, but this novella didn't entice me to want to delve into anything else.
Nikola Tasev
Disappointing, because the only new thing the tale offered was the reason Korbal Broach does all the things he does, in a single sentence at the end. Full of all the original-in-the-books-at-first, but already very boring characters, and pretty much the same things that happen in the book. If you are a fan of the style the main books are written you may like it.
Lori
Necromancers in need of some hired help drag along an inept, hen-pecked man on "adventure" after "adventure."

This novella is set in the same world as Gardens of the Moon; however, I found the main series too chaotic in comparison to the compact, well-written novellas of Bauchelain and Broach.
Doris

The story was not really that difficult to read, but it was difficult to follow, since it read more like a synopsis written to get the story sold than a story in itself. There were too many gaps in the writing, too many unexplained things, and too much going on for a story this short.
Rachel
I actually read this book before any of the Malazan Book of the Fallen. Odd, but Rob gave them to me, and I guess it worked, since I'm reading the series now. It was OK, but the characters are so completely bizarre and unrelatable.
Jean Hontz
Erikson in his weird moments, writes a tale of the necromancers, Bauchelain and Broach. In this tale we learn how Mancy joins them and see how a town devolves as Broach does what he does best. Very weird!
Albert Llop
Very funny and easy to read. It's a little weird reading a short story from Steven Erikson after his huge epic novels, but it was worth it. Looking forward to the next one in the series.
Mickey Schulz
See my review of Healthy Dead.

In spite of their complete amorality, I find Bauchelain and Korbal Broach to be actually pretty engaging characters.
Janne Frösén
Tiny novella, about 100 pages of large print... this one plays out like one episode of twilight zone. Good story, a bit macabre and sooo short.
Kevin
Good, fun, quick read. Fun short story than gives a background into how Emancipator Reece got stuck. Somewhat dark in it's humor.
Jeff
Decent. Unlike Stephen King, however, it is of my opinion that Steven Erikson's longer fiction is better than his shorter fiction.
Keith
Good little yarn just love bauchelain oozing power love it, started lees of laughter's end hope its as good .
Matt
The humour Erikson injects in to an otherwise serious fantasty world really comes out here.
Jane
Dec 18, 2008 Jane marked it as to-read
Terence
Deli
Deli marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2014
Vazdooh
Vazdooh marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2014
John Kucher
John Kucher marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2014
anyone interested in passing this book along? 1 7 Jun 19, 2009 08:02AM
  • Orb Sceptre Throne (Malazan Empire #4)
  • The Thousandfold Thought (The Prince of Nothing, #3)
  • Antiphon (Psalms of Isaak, #3)
  • The Sea Watch (Shadows of the Apt, #6)
  • Soldiers Live (The Chronicle of the Black Company, #9)
  • A Magic of Twilight (The Nessantico Cycle, #1)
  • Manna from Heaven
  • The Grave Thief (Twilight Reign, #3)
  • A Sword from Red Ice (Sword of Shadows, #3)
  • Forsworn
Steven Erikson is the pseudonym of Steve Rune Lundin, a Canadian novelist, who was educated and trained as both an archaeologist and anthropologist. His best-known work is the on-going series, the Malazan Book of the Fallen.

More about Steven Erikson...
Gardens of the Moon (The Malazan Book of the Fallen, #1) Deadhouse Gates (The Malazan Book of the Fallen, #2) Memories of Ice (Malazan Book of the Fallen, #3) House of Chains (The Malazan Book of the Fallen, #4) The Bonehunters (Malazan Book of the Fallen, #6)