Start by marking “Superman: The Man of Steel, Vol. 2” as Want to Read:
Superman: The Man of Steel, Vol. 2

Superman: The Man of Steel, Vol. 2 (Superman: The Man of Steel #2)

3.75  ·  Rating Details  ·  341 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
Presenting modern tales of his earliest adventures, SUPERMAN: THE MAN OF STEEL VOL. 2 is a fascinating book of human drama and super-hero action. In these enthralling stories, Superman begins his lifelong rivalry with Lex Luthor as the industrialist megalomaniac and the last son of Krypton vie for the heart of Lois Lane and control over Metropolis. Traveling through time a ...more
Published November 1st 2003 by DC Comics (first published March 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Superman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Superman

John Yelverton
Oct 02, 2011 John Yelverton rated it it was amazing
John Byrne continues his amazing retelling of Superman's origin in this new addition to the book series.
Joseph Rice
May 02, 2016 Joseph Rice rated it really liked it
This is a bit better than the first volume, but man, Lois's 80s fashions are atrocious. I wonder why 80s fashion feels dated, whereas 50s fashion seems kinda timeless?

Anyway, this book gives us the new Metallo, and appearances by the Teen Titans, the Phantom Stranger, and the New Gods & Darkseid. The stories by Byrne are a bit better than Marv Wolfman's, but Jerry Ordways's pencils look fantastic here.

Arturo
Jun 17, 2016 Arturo rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dc-1985-superman
John Byrne really knows how to disappoint and make me hate a comic. I want an action packed issue and I get nothing but story! Well that's what I thought when I read this in 2002ish, it was then I realized 15 years later and the stories are still great. 30 year old issues and I still remember what they were about. Is timeless and exaggeration? Probably, but they're still great issues. Although volume 1 reached my limit, in this volume there's a lot more going on. I think Superman #2 is in 'Super ...more
Donovan
Dec 06, 2015 Donovan rated it it was ok
Shelves: didnt-finish
As Vol. 1 is out of print, I started with Vol. 2. Eh. More 80s camp and sci-fi hilarity similar to Wolfman's Teen Titans in a way I found unenjoyable. (Which, if you're wondering, Wolfman's New Teen Titans is amazing as far as Bronze Age comics go.) The first story involves Supes fighting a Kryptonite powered Terminator (like truly ripping off James Cameron), the second he's switched minds/souls with a guy with MS...basically a morality check that it's okay to be disabled. Or maybe not, the guy ...more
David
Sep 11, 2015 David rated it really liked it
Shelves: comic-books
Surprisingly good. I missed all this in the 80's. I'd turned by back on DC after the horror of CRISIS. Just wish this was all just the John Byrne ACTION COMICS stories without the Ordway SUPERMAN mixed into it. The Byrne stuff seems timeless. The Ordway seems like he's aping the British comics of the time a bit too heavily.
Ryan
Mar 04, 2012 Ryan rated it liked it
John Byrne's Superman wasn't the first iteration of the character that I ever read, but it remains one of my favourites. This volume isn't as much of a classic as the first in the Man of Steel series, but there are some fun science-fictiony type adventures in it.

One thing I was *very* disappointed in, though, was the last three chapters of the book. It's part of the Legends mega-crossover, and we're just unceremoniously dumped into the middle of that story without any context. To make matters wo
Gabriel Salter
Jul 01, 2015 Gabriel Salter rated it it was ok
Shelves: comic-book
Not bad if you liek the grittier, darker stories of Superman that the "Man of Steel" comic books shows, and I liked the fact that the villains are much better characterized than in the original Superman comic book. But somehow the story loses the hope and optimism that Superman comics had, and I miss that. A LOT.
Dante
Mar 26, 2016 Dante rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-books-2016
This era of Superman was always my favorite. John Byrne simply knocked it out of the ball park when it came to Superman. This was just how I remembered it to be: great.
alicia ...
i dont particularly like superman
Sean
Feb 26, 2013 Sean rated it it was ok
Wow! I thought this was kind of a reintroduction of Superman into the DC universe. At times, it seemed like it was. At others Superman would have some random adventure that comes out of nowhere. The stories here are all over the place. The art by John Byrne is, to me, the classic Superman. That's how I picture Supes in my head. This book might be good for nostalgia's sake but its not much of a read.
Federiken Masters
Nov 12, 2012 Federiken Masters rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Muchos
Recommended to Federiken by: Yo niño
Si no me equivoco, el contenido de este tomo lo tengo entre revistas de Zinco y el coleccionable de Planeta, y si bien esta nueva edición de ECC está muy bonita, es improbable que me lo compre de nuevo. ¡Qué nostalgia que me dan los capítulos contra los Titanes y cuando viaja al pasado y se encuentra a Etrigan!
Juan Jose
Aug 10, 2011 Juan Jose rated it really liked it
Great second volume of this series. Now i know that the stories by Wolfman weren't so great!
Theo
Aug 03, 2010 Theo rated it it was ok
i liked this a little bit, but its just a graphic novel. Not much more to be said.
hannonle
May 22, 2015 hannonle rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comic, fiction
Estas historietas me gustaron más cuando las leí en mi época adolescente.
Derek Parker
Jul 25, 2013 Derek Parker rated it liked it
Okay. Not overly thrilled with the Darkseid storyline.
Bryan Dempsey
Bryan Dempsey rated it really liked it
Jun 27, 2016
Ellen
Ellen marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2016
Gøømíë Gød $úvè
Gøømíë Gød $úvè rated it it was amazing
Jun 26, 2016
Angelina
Angelina marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2016
Thomas Arvanitis
Thomas Arvanitis rated it really liked it
Jun 22, 2016
Scott Lerer
Scott Lerer marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2016
Vien Budibae
Vien Budibae marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2016
Vasharesh
Vasharesh rated it liked it
Jun 05, 2016
Travis
Travis rated it it was ok
Jun 07, 2016
Kate W
Kate W marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2016
Marcio
Marcio rated it liked it
May 24, 2016
Ryan Winter
Ryan Winter rated it really liked it
May 22, 2016
Michael
Michael rated it liked it
Jun 02, 2016
Felix Angel
Felix Angel marked it as to-read
May 20, 2016
againstnature
againstnature rated it really liked it
May 18, 2016
  • The Final Night
  • Batman: Four of a Kind
  • Batman: Sword of Azrael
  • X-Men: S.W.O.R.D.: No Time to Breathe
  • Superman: Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?
  • Batman: No Man's Land, Vol. 4 (New Edition)
  • Superman: Secret Origin
  • Doctor 13: Architecture and Mortality
  • The Power of Shazam!
  • Superman: The Complete History
  • Superman: War of the Supermen
  • Origins of Marvel Comics
  • The New Teen Titans: Terra Incognito
John Lindley Byrne is a British-born Canadian-American author and artist of comic books. Since the mid-1970s, Byrne has worked on nearly every major American superhero.

Byrne's better-known work has been on Marvel Comics' X-Men and Fantastic Four and the 1986 relaunch of DC Comics’ Superman franchise. Coming into the comics profession exclusively as a penciler, Byrne began co-plotting the X-Men com
More about John Byrne...

Superman: The Man of Steel (8 books)
  • Superman: The Man of Steel, Vol. 1