Nutty as a Fruitcake (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries #10)

Nutty as a Fruitcake (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries #10)

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  376 ratings  ·  21 reviews
Hillside Manor's neighbors all adored proprietor Judith McMonigle Flynn's festive suggestion to deck the halls and houses in their cul-de-sac with eye-catching Christmas finery -- except Enid Goodrich.The grumpy old humbug refused to cooperate.Then someone cooked her Christmas goose -- silencing Enid's objections with a handy hatchet. Though Judith's already got a lot unde...more
Published August 1st 2000 by Avon

To ask other readers questions about Nutty as a Fruitcake, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nutty as a Fruitcake

My Lady Love by Bridgitte LesleyUncharted by J.B. ChicoineBorn in Ice by Nora RobertsThe Last Boyfriend by Nora RobertsThe Perfect Hope by Nora Roberts
B&B Fiction
36th out of 92 books — 26 voters
Hercule Poirot's Christmas by Agatha ChristieThe Adventure of the Christmas Pudding by Agatha ChristieThe Nine Tailors by Dorothy L. SayersI Am Half-Sick of Shadows by Alan BradleyThe Adventure of the Blue Carbuncle by Arthur Conan Doyle
Christmas Mysteries
146th out of 231 books — 67 voters

More lists with this book...

Diane  Morasco
Judith McMonigle Flynn is too much...fun. She's absolutely exhilarating! Her cousin Renie is bubbling over w/ exuberance. The two together is the perfect definition of the term
"madcap hijinks".

Nutty as a Fruitcake is a side-splitting experience. I laughed so hard I just couldn't control my fits of laughter.
VJ
Another tangly one. Not quite finished, but since I like to record my thoughts on books, especially the writing, I wanted to jot this down.

At least an 8 ft Christmas tree should have more than 240 lights on it! We have a 9 ft one that gets at least 500 and in my opinion, that is still too few! At least 100 lights per foot makes for a much sparklier tree.

Mmmm. Spritz cookies! Actually, the dough is better than the cookies themselves. My mom always had to quadruple the batches of dough. She would...more
Carrie
Very cute. This author is entertaining and light. Nothing heavy. The characters are likeable and easy to identify with. Mary Daheim has many books, I'm sure I'll read more of them in the future
Susan
Judith Flynn is busy enough preparing for a big family Christmas that will include, for the first time, her new husband's dreaded first wife. She's also trying to persuade the residents of her little cul de sac to decorate for the holidays. Everyone is agreeable--although it is Judith's bed and breakfast that will benefit most--except unpleasant invalid Enid Goodrich. When Enid is murdered. Judith adds finding a killer to her to-do list.
Nancy (Colorado)
Lighthearted quick read. Live how Mary Daheim changes the name of local landmarks and stores in Seattle. Anyone who has lived there quickly catches on!
Diane Falvey
Was a little disappointed wiht this book in the B&B series. I found this one a littel harder to get through as the characters were not very nice and the policeman who tlaked like a pirate was just too much. will contimue with teh series because I want to see how the series finishes but am starting to read other books in between installments so as to be able to continue reading this series.
Skyler
This would have been a lot more enjoyable if she would just call Queen Ann Hill by its real name. I cringe when she called Boeing "The Boring Company" and at other cute names she comes up with the fictionalize Seattle. Also, I was hoping it was have more about the bed and breakfast establishment...
Lollyletsgo
I like the Christmas theme of this one, and the harriedness of getting ready for Christmas (gifts, cooking etc.) and solving a murder... the only drawback was the "pirate" cop. The Yo, Ho Ho got to be a little much. But the mystery itself was quite fun to try and figure out.
Nicky
There were some interesting aspects to the story which is what made me pick up the book in the first place. I have been exploring the world of cosies and alas, this one has further reinforced that perhaps the genre is just not for me.
Mel
Another enjoyable Bed and Breakfast Mystery. Judith and Renie are such a good pair. I enjoy seeing how the two play off of each other. Daheim does her best to throw out clues and kept me guessing until the end.
Michele
This series is full of funny characters....and this was no different. The 2 cousins and their respective somewhat crazy moms keep me laughing, even when a dead body turns up.
Sarah "Kat"
A little wearing on the nerves, with all the fighting and insults between the main character Judith, and her bitchy old mother. Wont rush to read other s int he series.
Christine
This one ended up being kind of pointless, but was a fun read nonetheless. I mostly just like spending time with the Judith and Renie!
Linda
I enjoyed this entry in the series. I loved all of Judith's Christmas traditions and the murder was pretty good as well.
Shila
These are just a fun quick read. Have always wanted to try the fruitcake recipe at the back of this one. Minus the liquor. :)
Tracey
The things that happen to Judith are really something. I find this series more entertaining as it goes!
Rob
Nov 24, 2008 Rob rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Christmas Cozy Fans
Shelves: holiday-cheer
Even with a hatchet murder, this is a cozy with lots of holiday spirit.
Erin
Jan 01, 2013 Erin added it
it was cute.could read others in this sseries.
Joy
Just not engaging enough to keep me reading.
I liked the Christmas plot and the characters.
Debbie
I couldn't finish this book, a rare occurrence. I tried it twice. I like cozy mysteries. I like B&Bs. But I didn't like this book. I think she has too many characters who are all talking too much. It's not a bad book, but I thought it was boring.
Allison Rasa
Allison Rasa marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2014
Kat Seker
Kat Seker marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2014
Janet Borjeson
Janet Borjeson marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2014
Karen Allen
Karen Allen marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2014
  • Birthday Party Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #9)
  • Death Takes the Cake (A Della Cooks Mystery #2)
  • Better Off Wed (Annabelle Archer, #1)
  • Murder with All the Trimmings (Josie Marcus, Mystery Shopper, #4)
  • Death by the Light of the Moon (Claire Malloy, #7)
  • Index to Murder (Miss Zukas, #11)
  • Finger Lickin' Dead (A Memphis BBQ Mystery #2)
  • Grace Interrupted (Manor House Mystery, #2)
  • Dire Threads (Threadville Mystery, #1)
  • Town in a Blueberry Jam (A Candy Holliday Mystery, #1)
  • Photo Finished (A Scrapbooking Mystery, #2)
  • The 27-Ingredient Chili Con Carne Murders (Eugenia Potter, #4)
  • Harrowing Hats
  • Jingle Bell Bark (Melanie Travis, #11)
  • Hell Hath No Curry (Pennsylvania Dutch Mystery, #15)
  • A Catered Christmas (A Mystery with Recipes, #3)
  • Ringing In Murder (Pennyfoot Hotel Mystery, #16)
Seattle native Mary Richardson Daheim has been fascinated by story-telling since early childhood. She first listened, then read, and finally began to write her own fiction when she was ten. A journalism major at the University of Washington, she was the first female editor of The Daily where she attracted national attention with her editorial stance against bigotry.
After getting her B.A., she wor...more
More about Mary Daheim...
Just Desserts (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries #1) The Alpine Advocate (Emma Lord Mystery, #1) Fowl Prey (A Bed and Breakfast Mysery, #2) Dune to Death (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries #4) The Alpine Betrayal (Emma Lord Mystery #2)