Start by marking “Nutty as a Fruitcake (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries, #10)” as Want to Read:
Nutty as a Fruitcake (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries, #10)

Nutty as a Fruitcake (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries #10)

3.83  ·  Rating Details  ·  500 Ratings  ·  28 Reviews
Hillside Manor's neighbors all adored proprietor Judith McMonigle Flynn's festive suggestion to deck the halls and houses in their cul-de-sac with eye-catching Christmas finery -- except Enid Goodrich.The grumpy old humbug refused to cooperate.Then someone cooked her Christmas goose -- silencing Enid's objections with a handy hatchet. Though Judith's already got a lot unde ...more
Published August 1st 2000 by Avon

To ask other readers questions about Nutty as a Fruitcake, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nutty as a Fruitcake

Hercule Poirot's Christmas by Agatha ChristieThe Adventure of the Christmas Pudding by Agatha ChristieCupcakes, Paws, and Bad Santa Claus by Pamela DuMondThe Adventure of the Blue Carbuncle by Arthur Conan DoyleI Am Half-Sick of Shadows by Alan Bradley
Christmas Mysteries
84th out of 247 books — 101 voters
Born in Ice by Nora RobertsThe Next Always by Nora RobertsThe Perfect Hope by Nora RobertsThe Last Boyfriend by Nora RobertsMy Lady Love by Bridgitte Lesley
B&B Fiction
45th out of 99 books — 40 voters

More lists with this book...

Thalia Papadakis
Jul 24, 2016 Thalia Papadakis rated it liked it
I have an affinity for cozy mysteries. They generally aren't written in pursuit of a spot on the bestseller list; rather, cozies are written to give the reader a sense of comfort and calm (ironically, by way of murder).

My mom read cozies to escape her three eccentric young daughters and grumpy husband: one daughter, the artist, painted five-foot tall green flowers on the side of the freshly painted rental when she was four; the adventurous daughter asked which way north was, and was found by ne
Diane  Morasco
Apr 09, 2011 Diane Morasco rated it really liked it
Judith McMonigle Flynn is too much...fun. She's absolutely exhilarating! Her cousin Renie is bubbling over w/ exuberance. The two together is the perfect definition of the term
"madcap hijinks".

Nutty as a Fruitcake is a side-splitting experience. I laughed so hard I just couldn't control my fits of laughter.
VJ
Mar 22, 2013 VJ rated it liked it
Shelves: cozy-mysteries
Another tangly one. Not quite finished, but since I like to record my thoughts on books, especially the writing, I wanted to jot this down.

At least an 8 ft Christmas tree should have more than 240 lights on it! We have a 9 ft one that gets at least 500 and in my opinion, that is still too few! At least 100 lights per foot makes for a much sparklier tree.

Mmmm. Spritz cookies! Actually, the dough is better than the cookies themselves. My mom always had to quadruple the batches of dough. She would
Barbara
Jun 22, 2015 Barbara rated it it was amazing
I read this years ago, and I enjoyed it just as much a second time. Judith is busy with the Christmas season preparations at her B&B. Then one of her neighbors is killed. Of course, Judith can not leave the detective work to the police and does her own brand of sleuthing. The adventures of Judith and Renie, her cousin, are always fun to read. Personally, I would get rid of her cat--always seems to be latching on to her ankles!
Carrie
Sep 09, 2014 Carrie rated it really liked it
Very cute. This author is entertaining and light. Nothing heavy. The characters are likeable and easy to identify with. Mary Daheim has many books, I'm sure I'll read more of them in the future
Sunshine
Oct 01, 2015 Sunshine rated it it was ok
i LOVE silly murder mysteries but this one just didn't do the trick for me. weird plot, weird characters
Nothing Like A Good Book!!!! Wood
IT WAS FUNNY...I LOVED IT!
Patti Smith
Jan 06, 2016 Patti Smith rated it it was ok
Plot was OK, but finding out who the bad guy was not exciting.
Kathy
Jun 20, 2015 Kathy rated it it was amazing
I simply love this series!!!
Katie Taylor
Feb 09, 2015 Katie Taylor rated it really liked it
Susan
Nov 03, 2009 Susan rated it really liked it
Judith Flynn is busy enough preparing for a big family Christmas that will include, for the first time, her new husband's dreaded first wife. She's also trying to persuade the residents of her little cul de sac to decorate for the holidays. Everyone is agreeable--although it is Judith's bed and breakfast that will benefit most--except unpleasant invalid Enid Goodrich. When Enid is murdered. Judith adds finding a killer to her to-do list.
Nancy (Colorado)
Jan 18, 2014 Nancy (Colorado) rated it really liked it
Lighthearted quick read. Live how Mary Daheim changes the name of local landmarks and stores in Seattle. Anyone who has lived there quickly catches on!
Diane Falvey
Was a little disappointed wiht this book in the B&B series. I found this one a littel harder to get through as the characters were not very nice and the policeman who tlaked like a pirate was just too much. will contimue with teh series because I want to see how the series finishes but am starting to read other books in between installments so as to be able to continue reading this series.
Skyler
Nov 27, 2010 Skyler rated it liked it
This would have been a lot more enjoyable if she would just call Queen Ann Hill by its real name. I cringe when she called Boeing "The Boring Company" and at other cute names she comes up with the fictionalize Seattle. Also, I was hoping it was have more about the bed and breakfast establishment...
Lollyletsgo
Aug 02, 2013 Lollyletsgo rated it really liked it
I like the Christmas theme of this one, and the harriedness of getting ready for Christmas (gifts, cooking etc.) and solving a murder... the only drawback was the "pirate" cop. The Yo, Ho Ho got to be a little much. But the mystery itself was quite fun to try and figure out.
Nicky
There were some interesting aspects to the story which is what made me pick up the book in the first place. I have been exploring the world of cosies and alas, this one has further reinforced that perhaps the genre is just not for me.
Mel
Dec 28, 2009 Mel rated it really liked it
Shelves: cozy-mystery
Another enjoyable Bed and Breakfast Mystery. Judith and Renie are such a good pair. I enjoy seeing how the two play off of each other. Daheim does her best to throw out clues and kept me guessing until the end.
Michele
May 12, 2014 Michele rated it really liked it
This series is full of funny characters....and this was no different. The 2 cousins and their respective somewhat crazy moms keep me laughing, even when a dead body turns up.
Sarah "Kat"
Dec 11, 2011 Sarah "Kat" rated it it was ok
A little wearing on the nerves, with all the fighting and insults between the main character Judith, and her bitchy old mother. Wont rush to read other s int he series.
Christine
Nov 25, 2008 Christine rated it liked it
This one ended up being kind of pointless, but was a fun read nonetheless. I mostly just like spending time with the Judith and Renie!
Linda
Dec 17, 2010 Linda rated it really liked it
Shelves: christmas
I enjoyed this entry in the series. I loved all of Judith's Christmas traditions and the murder was pretty good as well.
Shila
May 05, 2008 Shila rated it liked it
These are just a fun quick read. Have always wanted to try the fruitcake recipe at the back of this one. Minus the liquor. :)
Tracey
Mar 13, 2012 Tracey rated it liked it
The things that happen to Judith are really something. I find this series more entertaining as it goes!
Krystle Kouture
Dec 27, 2015 Krystle Kouture rated it it was ok
The who done it was boring and it was tad racist at times what the heck lol.
Rob
Nov 24, 2008 Rob rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Christmas Cozy Fans
Shelves: holiday-cheer
Even with a hatchet murder, this is a cozy with lots of holiday spirit.
Erin
Jan 01, 2013 Erin added it
it was cute.could read others in this sseries.
Jun 07, 2011 Laura rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2011
I liked the Christmas plot and the characters.
Debbie
Jan 02, 2009 Debbie rated it did not like it
I couldn't finish this book, a rare occurrence. I tried it twice. I like cozy mysteries. I like B&Bs. But I didn't like this book. I think she has too many characters who are all talking too much. It's not a bad book, but I thought it was boring.
Karen Bryce
Karen Bryce marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2016
Megan Nickelson
Megan Nickelson marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2016
  • Death Takes the Cake (A Della Cooks Mystery #2)
  • Better Off Wed (Annabelle Archer, #1)
  • Birthday Party Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #9)
  • Dire Threads (Threadville Mystery, #1)
  • Finger Lickin' Dead (A Memphis BBQ Mystery #2)
  • Two Cooks A-Killing (Angie Amalfi, #11)
  • Murder Off the Books (Sullivan Investigations Mystery, #1)
  • Cries & Whiskers (Theda Krakow, #3)
  • The Gingerbread Bump-Off (A Fresh-Baked Mystery, #6)
  • Death by the Light of the Moon (Claire Malloy, #7)
  • The 27-Ingredient Chili Con Carne Murders (Eugenia Potter, #4)
  • The Mother's Day Murder (Christine Bennett, #12)
  • Harrowing Hats (A Renaissance Faire Mystery, #4)
  • Fear of Frying (Jane Jeffry, #9)
  • Photo Finished (A Scrapbooking Mystery, #2)
  • A Murderous Glaze (Clay and Crime, #1)
  • Town in a Blueberry Jam (A Candy Holliday Mystery, #1)
Seattle native Mary Richardson Daheim has been fascinated by story-telling since early childhood. She first listened, then read, and finally began to write her own fiction when she was ten. A journalism major at the University of Washington, she was the first female editor of The Daily where she attracted national attention with her editorial stance against bigotry.

After getting her B.A., she wor
More about Mary Daheim...

Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries (1 - 10 of 30 books)
  • Just Desserts (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries, #1)
  • Fowl Prey (Bed-and-Breakfast, #2)
  • Holy Terrors (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries, #3)
  • Dune to Death (Bed-and-Breakfast, #4)
  • Bantam of the Opera (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries, #5)
  • A Fit of Tempera (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries, #6)
  • Major Vices (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries, #7)
  • Murder, My Suite (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries, #8)
  • Auntie Mayhem (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries, #9)
  • September Mourn (Bed-and-Breakfast, #11)