Goodreads helps you keep track of books you want to read.
Start by marking “The Complete Prose” as Want to Read:
The Complete Prose
Enlarge cover
Rate this book
Clear rating
Open Preview

The Complete Prose

4.06  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,848 Ratings  ·  194 Reviews
Brings together three hilarious pieces by America's comic genius: Without Feathers, a secret journal that addresses life's "big" questions; Getting Eve n, Woody as psychologist, historian, and philospher; and Side Effects, Woody's take on UFOs and more.
Hardcover, 473 pages
Published March 29th 1992 by Random House Value Publishing (first published 1989)
More Details... edit details

Friend Reviews

To see what your friends thought of this book, please sign up.

Reader Q&A

To ask other readers questions about The Complete Prose, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Complete Prose

Community Reviews

(showing 1-30 of 3,000)
filter  |  sort: default (?)  |  Rating Details
George Georgiadis
Jun 14, 2016 George Georgiadis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hamburger
Η ανάγνωση των γραπτών του Woody Allen προκαλεί τα ίδια συναισθήματα/σκέψεις/προβληματισμούς με αυτά που προκαλεί και η παρακολούθηση των ταινιών του. Δίκαιο.
Foteini Daila
Αρχικά, έχω να δηλώσω ότι είμαι μεγάλη φαν του Woody. Τόσο που ξαναβλέπω κάποιες από τις παλιές του ταινίες.
Σχετικά με το βιβλίο, τώρα, μπορώ να πω ότι είναι ό,τι πιο αστείο έχω διαβάσει. Αλλά αυτό είναι σχετικό, μιας και είτε λατρεύεις τον Woody είτε τον μισείς, γιατί δεν καταλαβαίνεις το χιούμορ του. Σχεδόν κάθε σειρά του και προκαλεί γέλιο. H συλλογή Without Feathers είναι η πιο αστεία κλέβοντας τη δόξα από τις συλλογές Getting Even και Side Effects που ακολουθούν.
Στις ιστορίες του γίνονται α
...more
Lee
Jul 15, 2007 Lee rated it really liked it
This is worth it if just for "The Whores of Mensa" . . .
Atishay
Jun 16, 2010 Atishay rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've finished this book and believe me when I say, I'm really sad that it has gotten over. However, I console my heart with the fact that this book is a keeper. I know that I can pick it up anytime and it will make me laugh. Not the loud howling kind, but a subtle philosophical kind of laugh that I will shake my head over.
Woody Allen needs no introduction, and if he needs one for the uninitiated, well I recommend them to get familiar with his movies first and then go for the book. Because the wa
...more
Maria Espadinha
Jul 23, 2016 Maria Espadinha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Woody Allen é um autor que sempre surpreende sem surpreender!

Surpreende porque a sua imaginação fértil é uma fábrica de permanentes e deliciosas loucuras.

Sem surpreender porque dele tudo é expectável!
Panos Lettas
Feb 16, 2016 Panos Lettas rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Η αστείρευτη φαντασία, το φανταστικό –γούστα είν' αυτά– χιούμορ, και η ιδιοφυΐα του Woody έχουν δημιουργήσει ένα εξαιρετικό βιβλίο. Το «ευχάριστο» είναι η τέλεια λέξη για να το περιγράψει θα 'λεγα —το έβλεπα και ήθελα να το ανοίξω, το άνοιγα και δεν ήθελα να το αφήσω, τελείωσε και ξενέρωσα. Νομίζω πως μόνο με τα βιβλία του Kundera το έχω πάθει, σε τέτοιο βαθμό, αυτό.

Τον Woody Allen από τις ταινίες του, ή τον λατρεύεις ή τον μισείς, αυτό είναι αλήθεια, προσωπικά τον λατρεύω. Στους φαν λοιπόν, πρ
...more
Leo Robertson
Individually these books are 4*- together they are 3*!

Humour is a hugely important thing in literature because the most laughable thing is a book without a sliver of relief. A book that is all relief, on the other hand, doesn't seem like what literature is for. And from Woody Allen, whose films are filled with insight and tense interactions, that his stories contain not a smidgen is triply disappointing. I was hoping for shorter collections of scenes that resembled his screenplays adapted into s
...more
MJ Nicholls
Sep 24, 2010 MJ Nicholls rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Without Feathers is the funniest of this trilogy, with Getting Even a close second. The other selection was great too, and I maybe should have read this in shorter bursts rather than all at once. My sides are currently damaged beyond repair.

Allen writes stories with deeper philosophical meaning. He asks searching questions that scratch through the absurdity of life, with way more laughs than Nietzsche or Sartre.

I'm catching up with his movies too. Zelig is currently sitting in my disc drive.
George
Sep 23, 2009 George rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This a collection of short stories, many dealing with issues and subject matter that Allen's films deal with - sex, fidelity, existence, art, music, etc. What struck me most was the inconsistency of the quality of his stories. I'm giving this book three stars, but if I could rate each story, there would be several five stars and several one star stories.

Some were extremely creative and delightful to read. You felt like these stories could have been expanded into full length films. The sci-fi st
...more
Azra
Dec 29, 2012 Azra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
به نقل از مقدمهی کتاب:
" دفاع از دیوانگی که در سال 2007 منتشر شده، مجموعهای از مقالههای طنز وودی آلن از سه کتاب « بیحساب » « بیبال و پر » و « عوارض جانبی » است. "

اعتراف میکنم از شنیدن خبر انتشار کتاب تازهای از وودی الن به حدی ذوقزده بودم که حتی نگاهی به فهرست یا مقدمه نینداختم و در نتیجه یک مجموعهی تماما تکراری روی دستم ماند. باشد که عبرت بگیریم!
...more
Jigar Brahmbhatt
Apr 08, 2010 Jigar Brahmbhatt rated it really liked it
Short pieces of absurd pseudo-intellectualism in a typical Woody Allen style! He affirms a notion I once came across about the human condition: "loose your sense of humor, and you're in trouble"

On the book cover of Picador edition, Will Self praises the book as "an ideal bedside companion". I can't disagree.
Sowmya
Mar 19, 2010 Sowmya rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned, non-fiction, humor
Boy what a dilemma! It is something you have read in bits. Not because it’s too much or too boring but because, obviously, you need to take a couple of days off now and then just to laugh.
The humour sprouts suddenly and is mostly not empty. It is accompanied by a bit of unique insight and by the end of the book you will need to re-examine your brains to make sure, they have not been affected forever, twisted as it would be after a roller coaster ride that just does not seem to end!
Whether he is
...more
Mirela Vasile (Dinny)
Am citit-o prin 2010, dar azi mi-am adus aminte de ea. E o colectie de proza scurta in stilul specific autorului, deci e limpede: cui ii place genul si omul o sa i se para adorabila si o sa rada cu lacrimi (ca mine), cui nu...nu. :D
A aparut la Humanitas in colectia "rasul lumii" sub titlul: "Apararea invoca nebunia". Cred ca reprezinta doza necesara de optimism si un strop de inconstienta ca sa incepi un nou an si, vorba autorului, te poate apara de efectele "constentizarii excesive a vietii".
...more
Laura
Aug 09, 2016 Laura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
“Could Hitler beat Churchill to sideburns? Himmler said Churchill had a head start and that it might be impossible to catch him. Goring, the vacuous optimist, said the Fuhrer could probably grow sideburns quicker, particularly if we marshalled all of Germany’s might in a concentrated effort. Von Rundstedt, at a meeting of the General Staff, said it was a mistake to try to grow sideburns on two fronts at once and advised that it would be wiser to concentrate all efforts on one good sideburn. Hitl ...more
Ana
Collection of separate essays on different themes by the sometimes funny Woody Allen. I'm not saying I didn't ever laugh at his jokes but most of them were just too abstract for me. I did however enjoy the ones on Hitler and in general the ones treating high or low society habits.

In a way, good public transport literature. Easy to read and keeps you entertained.
Vassilena Valchanova
It's a great read, and quite varied, so if you don't enjoy one story, you sure will like the next. Being a fan of Woody Allen, I liked it a lot. A word of advice: don't read more than 5 stories at once, as you can overdose and spoil the experience.
Priyanka
Feb 01, 2014 Priyanka rated it did not like it
I did not finish reading this book, nor do I intend to read any other book by him or watch his films.

'Coz he is a fucking asshole. That's why.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/blogs/krist...
Neal
Jun 22, 2011 Neal rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Truthfully I've been working on this book for a couple years and am not exactly done with it. I am a Woody Allen fan and I like his whole "thing" but it still is something which in prose form, I can only take piecemeal.
Nat
Sep 07, 2007 Nat rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found it impossible to read large sections of this at a time because Woody Allen's prose is unrelentingly absurdist. There is no narrative of any kind in any of the stories (except the "Kugelmass Affair", which is one of the more enjoyable stories in the book, about a middle aged prof who has an affair with Madam Bovary with the help of a magician), and the emphasis is on unexpected turns of phrase. So you have to pay close attention to the language to get anything out of this.

A lot of the ma
...more
Aravind Vivekanandan
Aug 30, 2015 Aravind Vivekanandan rated it it was amazing
It might sound impossible for a writer to insert a joke in every sentence that he writes and not feel redundant. Well that's not the case with Allen. He goes after his favorite targets- Freud , Sartre , Kafka and all the other poster boys of the intellectual world poking fun at everyone and everything. The only reason why Allen Is not mentioned among the greatest writers of the 20 th century is our disbelief and envy of the fact that one person can be pure genius in two entirely different medium ...more
Ester
Feb 11, 2016 Ester rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-books, glasgow
This collection comprises three works: Without Feathers, Getting Even and Side Effects. After working my way through the mixed bag that was Without Feathers, I enjoyed this collection immensely. The pieces are short and readable, and so ridiculously witty it's unbearable. Without Feathers had quite a few cringe moments (as opposed to genuine admiration of Allen's writing style and wit) but you can really follow Allen's progression in maturity as a writer after that. I was laughing out loud by th ...more
Terri
Jan 11, 2011 Terri rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Allen is also a prolific writer that has wit, style, and an abundance of intelligence. He expresses this in his first three collections of short stories: Without Feathers, Getting Even, and Side Effects. And in the early 1990’s this was compiled to The Complete Prose of Woody Allen.

Read more: http://bookstove.com/comedy/through-t...
Ashok Ramaraj
Nov 26, 2015 Ashok Ramaraj rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wonderfully funny,laugh out loud comic pieces. Some of his trademark philosophies and his satirical take on God,Christianity,the concepts of love,sex,soul and religion. Some interesting ideas as well(a character loses himself among the pages of a book he reads, a man having an affair in want of intellectual argument, game between death and its victim in the style of bergman.)
John
Sep 12, 2008 John rated it it was amazing
Back when Woody Allen was funny, no one could touch him. This book gathers together the stories he wrote for Playboy and The New Yorker. It is a riot to read. For the teachers out there, I recommend it between classes when you need a little pick me up before third period.
Benjamyn
Feb 06, 2011 Benjamyn is currently reading it
Recommends it for: Woody Allen fans
His short stories in this collection are brilliant. I absolutely loved the short story The Whore of Mensa, I've gone back to this chapter three times so far.
So far it's a very good book, perfect if you like to pick up a book if you want a quick fix.
Leftbanker
Mar 10, 2016 Leftbanker rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor
If you don’t love this collection then you really have to ask yourself if you like to laugh. I grew up with these books and I can’t think of a more influential comic in my lifetime than Woody Allen. No one has even come close to his originality and wit. Jerry Seinfeld is a hack in comparison and I don’t care that he has become a billionaire. I saw Seinfeld mock comedy writers, his contention that only stand-up really matters which is something you would expect from a guy who can’t write.

If you
...more
Richard Coady
Nov 01, 2015 Richard Coady rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Quite simply one of the funniest books I've ever read.
Kerstin
Jul 16, 2007 Kerstin rated it really liked it
The complete prose of my husband, Woody Allen.
Agata
Jan 13, 2010 Agata rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
did not succeed
MercMel
Jan 06, 2016 MercMel rated it liked it
No, this is not "Confessions of a Statutory Mind", as a lot of other pedophiles avoiding the spotlight and/or wanting representation in the public were hoping for. Allen Konigsberg, in fact, is a man I very much respect for his intellect and wonderful movies, despite all the controversy. And if you like his jaw-clicking, retracted-dicked, shrimp-eyed fantasy style, then you should have a ball with this compilation of his three literary collections.

I believe this was recently published under the
...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 99 100 next »
topics  posts  views  last activity   
similar books 3 12 Dec 21, 2013 08:58AM  
  • Tragically I Was an Only Twin: The Complete Peter Cook
  • Groucho and Me
  • Woody Allen: A Biography
  • The Most Of S.J.Perelman
  • Tales of Fosterganj
  • Design for Dying
  • Cruel Shoes
  • Poems on the Underground
  • Kieslowski on Kieslowski
  • Woody Allen and Philosophy: [You Mean My Whole Fallacy Is Wrong?]
  • Collected Stories
  • The ‘If You Prefer a Milder Comedian, Please Ask for One’ EP
  • Short Short Stories
  • The Essential Lenny Bruce
  • Monty Python and Philosophy: Nudge Nudge, Think Think!
  • Selected Poems, 1947–1995
  • Shakespeare by Another Name: The Life of Edward de Vere, Earl of Oxford, the Man Who Was Shakespeare
  • The Complete Monty Python's Flying Circus: All the Words: Volume 1
10356
Heywood "Woody" Allen (born Allan Stewart Konigsberg) is a three-time Academy Award-winning American film director, writer, actor, jazz musician, comedian and playwright. His large body of work and cerebral film style, mixing satire, wit and humor, have made him one of the most respected and prolific filmmakers in the modern era. Allen writes and directs his movies and has also acted in the majori ...more
More about Woody Allen...

Share This Book



No trivia or quizzes yet. Add some now »

“Is Knowledge knowable? If not, how do we know?” 18 likes
“No, thanks. I already own a penguin.” 5 likes
More quotes…