Guadalcanal Diary

Guadalcanal Diary (Landmark Books #55)

4.16 of 5 stars 4.16  ·  rating details  ·  1,142 ratings  ·  36 reviews
Offers an eyewitness account of the U.S. Marines' struggle to regain control of Guadalcanal and the Solomon Islands from the Japanese.
Published May 30th 2000 by Modern Library (first published January 1st 1943)

To ask other readers questions about Guadalcanal Diary, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Guadalcanal Diary

Unbroken by Laura HillenbrandEscape From Davao by John D. LukacsWith the Old Breed by Eugene B. SledgeGuadalcanal Diary by Richard TregaskisHelmet for My Pillow by Robert Leckie
World War II in the Pacific
4th out of 40 books — 88 voters
The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne FrankThe Book Thief by Markus ZusakThe Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann ShafferNight by Elie WieselSlaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut
World War II Fiction & Non-fiction
77th out of 244 books — 157 voters

More lists with this book...

Colleen
This wasn't a great book but it was an interesting read. I expected more than what I got out of it. Richard Tregaskis is a journalist who tags along with the U.S. Marines when they invade Guadalcanal during WWII. Each day he records what he sees and hears for the people back home in the U.S. Where Tregaskis succeeds is in his description of Guadalcanal and the surrounding islands. He made these exotic South Pacific islands come alive for me. Where he fails is his inability to convey the exciteme...more
Kevin
Guadalcanal Diary was originally published in 1943 while the battle for the Solomon Island group was fresh in the minds of Americans. The book was written as a memoir Richard Tregaskis, a war correspondent for International News Service, in the form of a daily journal. The book recounts the activities prior to the invasion and the first months of the battle for the islands in the Solomons. During the battle, Tregaskis lived with the Marines and went through several battles on the front lines. Tr...more
Joseph
Feb 24, 2013 Joseph rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Military History buffs
I’m in the process of trying to get a feel for what it was like on Guadalcanal because my dad fought there with the 25th Inf Div. The 25th didn’t arrive until December of 1942 well after the Marines went in. This book covers the period July 26th until September 26th 1942 and follows the Marines through the eyes of and words of War Correspondent Richard Tregaskis. Tregaskis went in with the Marines and like the Marines slept where he could, when he could. He also got shot at regularly. The editio...more
Gavin
Oct 30, 2008 Gavin rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: warriors.
Shelves: war
This is a journalist's reporting of our first invasion in the Pacific that was also supposedly the first use of air, land and sea resources in an amphibious invasion. He lived on the island for more than a month in harsh conditions, and he took a lot of risks accompanying marines and Raiders on assaults, raids and the main invasion. He was a literature major from Harvard who signed up for the press corps at the start of the war, and was pretty tough to do it considering he was a diabetic. The bo...more
Jeffrey Payne
I found this book in my late Grandfather in-law's library -- a first edition hardcover from the forties. It sounds trite, but the effects of war, the mark it leaves on the those who fight it, is always more interesting to me than the mechanics of combat or tactics. This book gives a good historical boots-on-the-ground perspective of Guadalcanal from a theatre of the second world war that often takes a backseat to Europe given the scale of Nazi atrocities.

Shortly after I finished this book, my wi...more
Robert Kiehn
My grandfather Martin Deglin, whom enlisted in the National Guard in March 1941, before WWII broke out and before Japan attacked Pearl Harbor, fought in the battle of Guadalcanal for the U.S. Army, I believe.

I read this book years ago. It is a great read on the events and battles of
Guadalcanal as chronicled by a news journalist in the thick of this major battle
and operation in the pacific theater of WWII.
Christopher
I have to say upfront that this is a book that had specially meaning to me as I read it in that my paternal grandfather fought on Guadalcanal. As a matter of fact he was in the first wave. The family, however, knows little of what he truly experienced on that island because he refused to speak of happened. (He would participate in several campaigns culminating on Peleliu where is was one of 11 Marines out of his original company to walk off the island.) There is that personal connection that mak...more
Andres
Mar 29, 2012 Andres rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: ww2
Nothing beats reading someone's first-hand account since the details are personal and immediate. Guadalcanal Diary is just that, the author in this case a reporter who was with U.S. forces when they landed on Guadalcanal (and surrounding islands) on August 7, 1942 in order to fight the Japanese for the island's top resource: a strategically important airfield.

Tregaskis was the first to write and publish a book about the events that happened those first few months on the island---in fact the book...more
Lee
I bought this at a used book store some time ago. I started reading Neptune's Inferno recently. I decided I would read Guadalcanal Diary at the same time. So far it is interesting to see the different styles, the amount of information, the perspectives, etc. from a book written in 1943 to a book written in 2011.

I finally finished this book. There were times when it sounded like a movie-tone news reel. It was interesting to hear how the war was viewed at the time. Tregaskis painted a rosy pictur...more
Jean-Vincent
Anyone interested in the Guadalcanal campaign should read Tregaskis' Guadalcanal Diary, not so much for learning the minute details of the military operation, but to feel history, to be right next to the Marines who went ashore, secured Henderson Field and battled in the island's jungle to keep it.

As a book written in 1943, it is a reporter's book, not a study of the campaign. As such, it captures the essence of what being there was like. At least this is what is being reported by those who wer...more
Mary
I gave it five because it gave direct experience of the war since written when his experience still fresh in the mind. I felt as if I were there with out the fear and discomforts.

Paul Roper
I read this book back around 1962, after having seen the movie on TV and enjoying that. I saw it in the library and I took it out and read the whole book, several of my friends did as well.
It was an interesting book, especially for a 10 year old, and easy to read. I realize now that it was a perfect history book: Mr. Tregaskis was there when it happened, he was not writing it years later, with the bias of time passed influencing him. No. He was there, he saw it, heard it, felt it and smelled it....more
Scilla
This is an excellent description of the invasion of the US onto Guadalcanal in the fall of 1942. Although he didn't have a gun as a member of the press corps, he was right with the soldiers who were fighting and several times barely avoided being shot. His account is fairly cut and dried, but very well done. He volunteers to go on several outings to other islands, and stayed mostly on Guadalcanal from the original landing July 26 through September 26, after the reinforcements of the US.
Sbrum
A golden oldie written in diary style and published during WWII. Tregaskis delivers a gritty account of daily life during the bloody island campaign. Guadalcanal sometimes lulls, simply because every day was not filled with fighting and dying. His seminal work is a solid foundation for historical perspective on the common soldier's life fighting in a foreign climate against an equally foreign enemy.
Jeff
If you want a very grunts eye view of one of the key battles of world war two, this is it. Written by a war corespondent who was stationed with the forces that took and held Guadalcanal, this text shows the difficulties of command, the chaotic nature of combat, and how much a few key people really matter.
Michael
Certainly one of the best books ever written about the Pacific Theater in WW2. Incredible versimilitude. The rotting trees, strange insects & permeating fear of young men in a strange & hostile world. A must read for anyone interested in first person accounts of surviving WW2.
Gary
I read this book over 30 years ago at my fathers direction. When I entered it today it popped up here that my son-in-law had found it and read it recently and really enjoyed it. I guess I'll have to re-read it. It's a very nice 1st edition piece in our library!
Diane Henry
Myopic, but as a first-person account of the taking of Guadalcanal island, i guess it kind of has to be. So it's hard to know exactly how the offensive is going. But the first person aspect brings home the horror of what a soldier experienced there.
Sheik
My Father was there, in the first wave. He never told me about it until he was 80 years old....and only then under the influence of morphine after open heart surgery.

He lived 4 more years, and I read this book once I knew he had been there.

William Pontarelli
Because of the ban on diaries constructed at the frontlines by soldiers in combat, this provides an excellent battle account as it occured.He was in a rear area but the marines kept him informed daily.
Manray9
A gyrene's perspective on America's first step back across the Pacific. Great battlefield reporting from a noted war correspondent. The movie's a hoot, with geezer William Bendix as a Marine!
Tomherndon
I really liked his narration. It was direct and simple, easy to follow. Can a limited diary of a journey be considered 'great work' these days? I don't know, but I think it was a great read.
Della Scott
Mar 08, 2013 Della Scott marked it as to-read
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Wachlin007 Hotmail
The author was a journalist with the Marines on Guadalcanal. He kept a diary of the things he saw and did, and then published it.
Rick Wong
This was a nice book, easy and quick to read, though we really don't read about the Big Naval battles except for Savo Island
Angela
Very interesting first hand account of events during the first couple months of this battle.
P.e.
Found this book at a yard sell. I was glad , great real story of the taking of guadalcanal.
Luis
its a great inside view towards what happened during the many battles in the war in the pacific
Philip
An honest look into a War that showed the American people that War isn't romantic.
Cody Boldt
great book but you have to understand in depth or you will get lost.
  • Baa Baa Black Sheep
  • Company Commander: The Classic Infantry Memoir of World War II
  • War as I Knew It
  • Strong Men Armed: The United States Marines Against Japan
  • To Hell and Back
  • Abandon Ship!: The Saga of the U.S.S. Indianapolis, the Navy's Greatest Sea Disaster
  • Up Front
  • Brotherhood of Heroes: The Marines at Peleliu, 1944--The Bloodiest Battle of the Pacific War
  • China Marine: An Infantryman's Life After World War II
  • Guadalcanal: The Definitive Account of the Landmark Battle
Richard Tregaskis was a well known war correspondent during both WWII & the Vietnam War. He is perhaps best remembered as the author of 'Guadalcanal Diary', which is considered to be a classic of war reportage. The photograph at left was taken in Ca Mau, RVN (South Vietnam) in 1963.
More about Richard Tregaskis...
John F. Kennedy and PT-109 X-15 Diary: The Story of America's First Space Ship The Warrior King: Hawaii's Kamehameha the Great Invasion Diary Vietnam Diary