George Carlin Reads to You: An Audio Collection Including Recent Grammy Winners Braindroppings and Napalm & Silly Putty

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  295 ratings  ·  34 reviews
Great comedy at a great value! This gift set gathers three timeless Carlin recordings including two Grammy® winners, plus an interview from public radio’s Fresh Air.

d three must be funniest, right? That’s our thinking behind this collection. This laugh-out-loud program includes:

Brain Droppings • 2001 Grammy® winner
Acerbic observations, manic musings, in-your-face questions...more
Audio CD, Abridged, 450 pages
Published October 11th 2004 by HighBridge Company (first published October 7th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about George Carlin Reads to You, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about George Carlin Reads to You

Rob
Feb 02, 2014 Rob rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Big Fans of George Carlin
This is a collection of three books Brain Droppings, Napalm & Silly Putty & More Napalm and Silly Putty read to you by George Carlin (hence the name).

I found myself a bit disappointed. I loved a lot of Mr. Carlin's stand up, and found his books a bit lacking. The first Napalm book was probably the best of the three.

I found these books to more humorous or clever than they were laugh out funny, and most of the best laugh out loud moments were stuff I had seen him incorporate into his stand...more
Alice
I remember George Carlin as a lot more open-minded. I suppose, when I was still in high school, his comedy must've seemed gleefully subversive. Revisiting these books mostly just made me sad.

George Carlin Reads to You is a collection of three of George Carlin's books on audio, read by the author with the kind of comic timing they deserve. They're not narratives; some of the jokes are one-liners, or they're just lists of observations. There are a few longer jokes, or stories about his upbringing,...more
Dave
When he wants to be, Carlin can be hysterical. His baseball vs. football and getting in (not on) airplanes routines are great as are many others. However Carlin makes himself appear as a hateful jackass with his rants. Maybe I just don't get his genius. Or maybe he's a jerk. Or maybe it's both.
Troy Blackford
The parts that were funny were very funny, but I spent more time thinking 'What a bitter, angry, self-important jerkwad!' than I spent laughing.

If you want to hear some guy grating in a gravelly voice about how he hates cops and wants society to crumble and that you're a douche for buying things even though you bought his book to have him tell you this, you'll be able to look past the shortcomings I found.

Jami
I really like George Carlin's stuff, and he is a really good narrator for his material. I was LMAO at the gym as I was listening to this, and I'm sure people were giving me strange looks!
Tracy
This is an audio compilation from some of George's previous books with bits and pieces from his stand up routines and miscellaneous thoughts thrown in at random. You can't deny that the man was a innovative thinker and observer of human nature, and his take on the idiosyncrasies of the English language was in a league by itself. But, unfortunately, the tone of his humor from his later years seems laced with an abundance of vulgarity, negativity, and anti-establishment philosophy spewed forth pur...more
Susan Visser
This is the way to get through commuting during the worst winter I've seen in my life: listen to comedy! I'm sure those in their cars near me were wondering why I was laughing and smiling. George is a class act and most will identify with his observations. I learned that there are about 10 of his videos on Netflix. I think I'll watch them too. Stay happy... listen to comedy!
Ken
This is a compilation of three books, Brain Droppings, Napalm and Silly Putty and More Napalm and Silly Putty. I enjoyed hearing George read the books and in high school in the 70's I was a major fan of his early work -- which happened to be the middle of his career, when he transformed from a straight 60's comic to a thoughtful and goofy hippy comic. These works are from later in his career. He has an attitude underlying his comedy that is anti- just about everything. While some things he says...more
Dan Ryan
Listened this straight through on a trip to Colorado. It has portions that deserve 5 stars, and a few repetitive sections or just kind of unfunny pieces that deserve 1 or 0. Not a bad listen, but spotty.
Frances
Gave this 5 stars because the first part was funnier than anything I've read in a long time. The rest was merely amusing, but I suspect that was because you get used to it.
Kevin Connery
Audiobook.��Braindropping, the latest of the books was very hostile and much of the funny bits had been in one of the Napalm & Silly Putty books. Mildly amusing, but most of the observations, even the ones with a humourous undertone were delivered as if trying to insult not just the target of his abuse, but his audience as well. In the preface he notes he's not unhappy or cynical, but this felt like a long drawn out whine from someone who had a couple of funny bits buried within a litany of...more
Simone
Fun and smart, as everything I have ever watched by him. The book is full of insightful jokes and hilarious anecdotes. His reading is clear, funny and expressive. The hours passed very quickly.
Darla
Hilarious. Like sitting on your surly grandpa's knee by the fire.
John
What can I say about George Carlin that others have already? Nothing, however if you are somewhat bothered by vulgar language, you may want to stir clear of this one.
Andrea Carr
if you don't like George Carlin, then you probably don't have a soul. sorries.
Troy Rodgers
An audio compilation of his books, which are in turn taken from his various stand-up routines, this audiobook is classic Carlin. Some of the material is dated (i.e., the bit about how certain celebrities will be memorialized when they die - and who are now dead). The vast majority of it is timeless. It's proof that George Carlin was way ahead of his time and always smarter than the rest of us.
Mary
Braind droppings was Carlin at best. Napalm & Silly Putty is a bit too cynical for my liking.
Kurt B
Funny. A bit tedious at times but a great way to listen to all three of George Carlin's books read by himself.
Greg
This includes an abridged version of Napalm and Silly Putty, More Napalm and Silly Putty, and Brain Droppings. Frankly, there is a lot of recycled material here and a lot of George's humor is very vulgar. That said, with this being an audio book I really felt like I was getting a big bang for my buck. It was like getting to hear hours of George Carlin's comedy routines for the cost of one book.
Thomas
If it's not clear from the title (and it wasn't to me), this is a highly edited version of the Brain Droppings Audiobook. I have no intention of finishing this book. The funniest joke in the first three tracks was "If drumsticks are for playing drums, wouldn't you think that breadsticks are for playing bread?" Yes, that one had me hooting.
Mark
I never thought I'd say this, but here we go: George Carlin has disappointed me. At least 2/3 of each book is recycled material from his albums. The new material is pretty weak, mostly just one or two line observations. High point is the Terry Gross interview, and you can listen to that online for free.
Molly
(Audiobook, read by author)

I liked it. Yes, there are some parts that I was like, 'Man, he sounds like a crotchety old guy,' but they were outweighed by the other legitimately funny parts. I think he's a very well-spoken and thoughtful comic- his politically loaded jokes are spot on.
Shawn Kass
George Carlin provides a roller coaster of amusement here taking a wide range of jokes, many of which are about the English language and how we slaughter it, pointing out the funny, and then carrying on for 5 or 10 more lines until its gone on too far and has lost its humor.
Deb
I always enjoy George Carlin's wit. I think I've heard almost all of this jokes in this book but still fun to hear them again.
Amara
Very bitter and pompous. We didn't get through 10 minutes (tried it for a road trip)
Peregrina651
Carlin isn't for everyone. If you are easily offended by four letter words, politically incorrect epithets and ideas, you should try a different author.
Tony Derricott
I listened to this 6-CD set (comprising 3 books) while driving back and forth to work. There are a number of witticisms, though too much language for my taste.
Lynn True
I prefer watching him over listening to him. Body language and facial expressions make a big difference in comedy.
Ayman Zaki
موقع جميل وكتب كثيرة جميلة
اود ان تذوروا مدونتي المتواضعة عن الكتب الالكترونية

مكتبة العرب المجانية

وشكرا
Maura
Highly enjoyable. It makes me forget I am in the middle of working out. Now that is high praise!
  • 7 Dirty Words: The Life and Crimes of George Carlin
  • The George Carlin Letters: The Permanent Courtship of Sally Wade
  • Unstuff Your Life!: Kick the Clutter Habit and Completely Organize Your Life for Good
  • Army of One (Star Force, #4.5)
  • The Magic World
  • Murder In The Yoga Store
  • What's So Funny?: My Hilarious Life
  • Time Enough for Love
  • Crystal Doors (Crystal Doors, #1)
  • Mark Twain's Helpful Hints for Good Living: A Handbook for the Damned Human Race
  • The Executioner's Heart (Newbury and Hobbes, #4)
  • The Junkie Quatrain
  • The David Icke Guide to the Global Conspiracy (and How to End It)
  • Cat Daddy: What the World's Most Incorrigible Cat Taught Me About Life, Love, and Coming Clean
  • Mercury Begins
  • The Seven Words You Can't Say on Television
  • A Good and Useful Hurt
  • Meet Me at Emotional Baggage Claim
George Denis Patrick Carlin was a Grammy-winning American stand-up comedian, actor, author, and philosopher.

Carlin was especially noted for his political and black humor and his observations on language, psychology, and religion along with many taboo subjects. Carlin and his "Seven Dirty Words" comedy routine were central to the 1978 U.S. Supreme Court case F.C.C. v. Pacifica Foundation, in which...more
More about George Carlin...
Napalm & Silly Putty Brain Droppings When Will Jesus Bring the Pork Chops? Last Words 3 x Carlin: An Orgy of George

“Ever wonder about those people who spend $2 apiece on those little bottles of Evian water? Try spelling Evian backward. ” 445 likes