Start by marking “George Carlin Reads to You: An Audio Collection Including Recent Grammy Winners Braindroppings and Napalm & Silly Putty” as Want to Read:

3.69  ·  Rating Details  ·  465 Ratings  ·  50 Reviews
Great comedy at a great value! This gift set gathers three timeless Carlin recordings including two Grammy winners, plus an interview from public radio’s Fresh Air.

d three must be funniest, right? That’s our thinking behind this collection. This laugh-out-loud program includes:

Brain Droppings • 2001 Grammy winner
Acerbic observations, manic musings, in-your-face questions,
Audio CD, Abridged, 450 pages
Published October 11th 2004 by HighBridge Company (first published October 7th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about George Carlin Reads to You, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about George Carlin Reads to You

Rob
Aug 01, 2016 Rob rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Big Fans of George Carlin
This is a collection of three books Brain Droppings, Napalm & Silly Putty & More Napalm and Silly Putty read to you by George Carlin (hence the name).

I found myself a bit disappointed. I loved a lot of Mr. Carlin's stand up, and found his books a bit lacking. The first Napalm book was probably the best of the three.

I found these books to more humorous or clever than they were laugh out funny, and most of the best laugh out loud moments were stuff I had seen him incorporate into his stand
Alice
I remember George Carlin as a lot more open-minded. I suppose, when I was still in high school, his comedy must've seemed gleefully subversive. Revisiting these books mostly just made me sad.

George Carlin Reads to You is a collection of three of George Carlin's books on audio, read by the author with the kind of comic timing they deserve. They're not narratives; some of the jokes are one-liners, or they're just lists of observations. There are a few longer jokes, or stories about his upbringing,
Dave
May 17, 2014 Dave rated it it was ok
When he wants to be, Carlin can be hysterical. His baseball vs. football and getting in (not on) airplanes routines are great as are many others. However Carlin makes himself appear as a hateful jackass with his rants. Maybe I just don't get his genius. Or maybe he's a jerk. Or maybe it's both.
Troy Blackford
Dec 19, 2013 Troy Blackford rated it liked it
The parts that were funny were very funny, but I spent more time thinking 'What a bitter, angry, self-important jerkwad!' than I spent laughing.

If you want to hear some guy grating in a gravelly voice about how he hates cops and wants society to crumble and that you're a douche for buying things even though you bought his book to have him tell you this, you'll be able to look past the shortcomings I found.

Me
Feb 14, 2016 Me rated it liked it
The interview with NPR raises the book from 2 to 3 stars.
Jami
Jan 25, 2013 Jami rated it really liked it
Shelves: audible-books, comedy
I really like George Carlin's stuff, and he is a really good narrator for his material. I was LMAO at the gym as I was listening to this, and I'm sure people were giving me strange looks!
Amy
Jan 20, 2015 Amy rated it did not like it
Shelves: discard
After 8 minutes and 32 seconds of the audio book, I was done.

I like Carlin. Audiobook is not the right medium for enjoying Carlin.

Carlin is brilliant, an astute observer of the human condition. These observations, however (and at least for me) are best consumed in bits. A three-minute read here, 10-minutes there. Having Carlin's rapid fire observations pounding directly into my head (I listen via over the ear headphones, not buds) was untenable.

Carlin was an astute observer of the human conditi
Tracy
Jan 23, 2014 Tracy rated it it was ok
This is an audio compilation from some of George's previous books with bits and pieces from his stand up routines and miscellaneous thoughts thrown in at random. You can't deny that the man was a innovative thinker and observer of human nature, and his take on the idiosyncrasies of the English language was in a league by itself. But, unfortunately, the tone of his humor from his later years seems laced with an abundance of vulgarity, negativity, and anti-establishment philosophy spewed forth pur ...more
Jan 20, 2016 Sarah rated it liked it
This was entertaining, but George Carlin isn't nearly as effective via audio as he is in his stand-up. He does better with an audience to respond to. Also, this was essentially just a re-worked version of many of his jokes from his stand-up, which are all funny, but which I've heard a million times, so it was nothing new to me. I realize, of course, that the purpose of this project was to provide people with audio access before reruns of his stand-up became a common thing on cable television, bu ...more
Andy
Oct 25, 2015 Andy rated it it was ok
Just not the best Carlin stuff. Like "waffle irons" -- that's not a good example for his schtick because it makes perfect sense; the kind of iron for clothes was originally called a "flat iron" because it's flat and if you just say "iron" that doesn't mean something flat, so really the issue is why don't our clothes look like waffles after ironing? :-) His best word play jokes are great, but this book has a lot of the second-string ones. And there's a lot of gratuitous foul language, and that ju ...more
Debbie
Jul 11, 2016 Debbie rated it it was ok
In fairness, I should know better than listening to a recorded comedic act that was done in a studio. If comedy isn't done with a live audience, it falls flat.

I love, love, love George Carlin's work but the entire narration by him was monotonous and one dimensional. He sounded like he hated the task of reading his work as much as I hated listening to it.

Between each reading was some lame music that just didn't fit the fire in George's gut.

I will continue to love his work, but will watch YouTube
Jonathan Pettit
What can I say, it's George Carlin. He's rude, crass, nasty, perhaps a bit more opinionated than I remember as a much younger person. I love the english language bits, where he discusses language use. The baseball vs. football comparison is great. Most of the three books were good. There were also bits I remember from his albums from many years ago. Overall good. Audible version. Of course, he's the narrator.
William
Nov 02, 2014 William rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I'm a fan of George Carlin, but this was a very scattered production. It may have been better in book format over Audible.

Some of his material also doesn't resonate to me as much as it must have at once. Maybe it's just dated or I just have changed my views on some things. He's still a comedian I enjoy, but this book just never hit any stride for me.
Michael Wylde
Aug 03, 2015 Michael Wylde rated it really liked it
Carlin was a radical almost 50 years ago and would still shock apathetic millenials today. Forthright and filthy, he was also fearless in his criticism of foolishness and foibles.
I'm fairly new to audiobooks. It was so much fun to listen to George himself, and to be shocked and delighted again by his acidic wit.
*Not recommended for the uptight or far right.
Susan Visser
Mar 06, 2014 Susan Visser rated it really liked it
Shelves: audible
This is the way to get through commuting during the worst winter I've seen in my life: listen to comedy! I'm sure those in their cars near me were wondering why I was laughing and smiling. George is a class act and most will identify with his observations. I learned that there are about 10 of his videos on Netflix. I think I'll watch them too. Stay happy... listen to comedy!
Ken
Nov 05, 2012 Ken rated it really liked it
This is a compilation of three books, Brain Droppings, Napalm and Silly Putty and More Napalm and Silly Putty. I enjoyed hearing George read the books and in high school in the 70's I was a major fan of his early work -- which happened to be the middle of his career, when he transformed from a straight 60's comic to a thoughtful and goofy hippy comic. These works are from later in his career. He has an attitude underlying his comedy that is anti- just about everything. While some things he says ...more
Dan Ryan
Sep 13, 2014 Dan Ryan rated it liked it
Listened this straight through on a trip to Colorado. It has portions that deserve 5 stars, and a few repetitive sections or just kind of unfunny pieces that deserve 1 or 0. Not a bad listen, but spotty.
Frances
Sep 04, 2014 Frances rated it it was amazing
Gave this 5 stars because the first part was funnier than anything I've read in a long time. The rest was merely amusing, but I suspect that was because you get used to it.
Kevin Connery
Oct 02, 2011 Kevin Connery rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Audiobook.Braindropping, the latest of the books was very hostile and much of the funny bits had been in one of the Napalm & Silly Putty books. Mildly amusing, but most of the observations, even the ones with a humourous undertone were delivered as if trying to insult not just the target of his abuse, but his audience as well. In the preface he notes he's not unhappy or cynical, but this felt like a long drawn out whine from someone who had a couple of funny bits buried within a litany of co ...more
Simone
Sep 18, 2014 Simone rated it it was amazing
Fun and smart, as everything I have ever watched by him. The book is full of insightful jokes and hilarious anecdotes. His reading is clear, funny and expressive. The hours passed very quickly.
Julie Phillips
Jan 05, 2015 Julie Phillips rated it it was ok
This book was disappointing. Not nearly as funny as his stand-up shows. Only a few parts of the book actually made me laugh: baseball vs football, conversation with Jesus Christ, cats vs dogs, & germs.
Hillary
Jul 24, 2015 Hillary rated it liked it
I'm glad that George was the narrator of these books because he could only do it nor nobody else, I think.
Darla
Jul 01, 2014 Darla rated it really liked it
Hilarious. Like sitting on your surly grandpa's knee by the fire.
John Poen
What can I say about George Carlin that others have already? Nothing, however if you are somewhat bothered by vulgar language, you may want to stir clear of this one.
Andrea Carr
Sep 02, 2014 Andrea Carr rated it it was amazing
if you don't like George Carlin, then you probably don't have a soul. sorries.
Larry Hansen
Oct 17, 2014 Larry Hansen rated it liked it
Shelves: american-lit
One-third was hilarious, one-third was funny/clever, and one-third was downright whiny.
Lee Margulin
Oct 27, 2014 Lee Margulin rated it really liked it
Classic Carlin. A great way to break up a day that's getting too serious.
Yelena
Dec 18, 2014 Yelena rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014
a
Kenith Nixon
Apr 08, 2015 Kenith Nixon rated it really liked it
Shelves: comedy
A good book, but if you're already a fan, you'll recognize that almost all of the material is from his comedy specials.
ETH
Dec 12, 2014 ETH rated it really liked it
Always a pleasure to listen to this man lol
  • The Secret Life of Words: English Words and Their Origins
  • Forensic History: Crimes, Frauds, and Scandals
  • Medical School for Everyone: Grand Rounds Cases (Great Courses #1977)
  • Heroes and Legends: The most influential characters of literature
  • Classical Mythology
  • Practicing Mindfulness: An Introduction to Meditation (The Teaching Company)
  • Fry's English Delight: Series 1 (Fry's English Delight, #1)
  • Your Deceptive Mind: A Scientific Guide to Critical Thinking Skills
  • The Addictive Brain
  • The George Carlin Letters: The Permanent Courtship of Sally Wade
  • 7 Dirty Words: The Life and Crimes of George Carlin
  • Books That Have Made History: Books That Can Change Your Life
  • Cabin Pressure 4 (Cabin Pressure, #4)
  • Click-Clack the Rattlebag
  • Chancer's Canterbury Tales
  • The Final Silence
  • Unstuff Your Life!: Kick the Clutter Habit and Completely Organize Your Life for Good
  • The Cat Manual
George Denis Patrick Carlin was a Grammy-winning American stand-up comedian, actor, author, and philosopher.

Carlin was especially noted for his political and black humor and his observations on language, psychology, and religion along with many taboo subjects. Carlin and his "Seven Dirty Words" comedy routine were central to the 1978 U.S. Supreme Court case F.C.C. v. Pacifica Foundation, in which
More about George Carlin...

“Ever wonder about those people who spend $2 apiece on those little bottles of Evian water? Try spelling Evian backward. ” 476 likes