The Night Pirates (Book & Cd)

The Night Pirates (Book & Cd)

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  294 ratings  ·  65 reviews
One night, young Tom is awoken by noises outside his house. He peeps out of the window, and what should he see but pirates - girl pirates! Tom decides to join in their adventures, as they sail the seas and attempt to steal the treasure which is guarded by the grown-ups.
Paperback
Published May 8th 2007 by Egmont Books (UK) (first published September 1st 2005)

Sam Hopper
The Night Pirates is a children’s adventure book about some brave little girl pirates that take a young boy called Tom (along with the front of his house) on a mission to steal the treasure of some ‘really, tough grown-up’ pirates.

The story is captivating. The use of rhyme, alliteration and atmospheric illustrations build the suspense and excitement. The words are cleverly placed in patterns across each page which add to the drama and carry you along on the adventure. Different sized text is use...more
Josie
I loved the illustrations! They were so warm for a book set at night. The mix of different medias was lovely -- I was especially fond of the graph paper houses. And I loved the fact that the pirates were little girls (who didn't exclude Tom for being a boy, which is a Good Lesson to throw in), and the baddies were the rough, tough, grown-up pirates. I liked the placement of the text on the page, the changes in the size, and the different fonts for certain words like "Captain Patch" and "girl pir...more
Sabera
“Up up up the dark house they climbed…Stealthy as shadows, quiet as mice…Rough, tough little girl pirates!” The Night Pirates is unlike any other pirate story, primarily as the pirates are not the coarse, burly men we know of as pirates. But instead little girls that come to take Tom away on an adventure during the night!

The story begins with the pirates quietly coming down the street and climbing into Tom’s house before taking him off onto an adventure aboard a house-shaped pirate ship. Here he...more
Brad
As kids' picture books go, The Night Pirates is right up there with Where the Wild Things Are, The Sneetches and Stone Soup as one of my all-time faves.

The art is beautiful, GIRLS can be Pirates (how's that for crazy?!), the writing is perfectly suited to oral delivery, and there is NO violence. The closest we come is a big, bad Pirate Master threatening to sic his Mom on those who take his treasure.

It is wonderful. Read it to your kids, then have them read it to you. I guarantee (figuratively)...more
Aleha Begum
A book with a fun, adventurous story. The illustrations are great and children seem to get lost in them.

The story has poetic repetition and highlighted words that are a great learning tool. I recommend this book for both boys and girls as it has girl pirates!

I read this book to a year 1 class and was a focus book for the theme on fantasy stories. The children really enjoyed this story and it was great for children to act out actions and do role plays. The role play area was designed to be a pir...more
Betsy
the illustrations and pop-up feature in this book is one of a kind. there is one page in which one of the pirates is hanging from a tree. it wasn't the usual pop-up feature. the illustrations are beautiful and detailed. however, the words and sentences in this book leave something to be desired. the sentences are too simple, i understand the need to repeat but it was overused in this book. also the plot wasn't interesting i thought that there could be more; a young boy tom goes on an adventure w...more
Martin Carberry
In brief this is a story of a young boy named Tom who, one night after going to bed sees strange shadows on the wall. It turns out that they are a band of mysterious girl pirates who are coming to steal the front of his house as a disguise for their pirate ship. Tom joins the pirates as they travel across the sea to steal some treasure from a group of older pirates. With the aid of the disguised ship, they surprise the pirates and manage to steal the treasure. The pirates return Tom just in time...more
Jessica Trufley
This book is precious!!! By far the cutest book I've read this semester. It's about a little boy, Tom, who travels with little girl pirates and they steal the adult pirate's treasure. The words guide you through the pages, and have you look all around. It is a quick read, so if I had a could extra minutes at the end of class for the day, I would read this book at least once throughout the year!
Shelly
This is a fun lively picture book about little girl pirates who come creeping in the night. My three year old daughters adored it snd it inspired a lot of pretend play. We also enjoyed the cd that came with it. The reader brought the story to life with his robust voice and the added pirate song was a nice surprise.
Deborah Moore
This story about a boy who goes on an adventure with a band of girl pirates is hilarious. There is a lyrical quality to the writing without it resorting to rhyme. (not that there's anything wrong with that) It's a wonderful story to read a loud to your kids.
Marissa Morrison
A gang of little girl pirates steal the front of a boy's house in order to disguise their ship for a sneak attack in this fun read-aloud.
Kathy
Very cute children's book.
On a pirate theme right now for kids books.
Karen
CC loved the little girl pirates! Cute story, great illustrations.
Nora
I loved this pop-up book--perfect for a pirate storytime!!!
Kaethe
great girl pirates, creeping around the town at night
Connie
It has really cute illustrations, and they shine with the wonderful, just-a-little-bit-exciting text.

Tom's bedroom is invaded by girl pirates, who welcome him aboard their boat when they steal the front of his house for disguise. All the pirates (and Tom) go, they non-violently steal treasure from the grown-up pirates, and Tom ends up back home safe in bed.

I have yet to meet a kid who didn't enjoy this book.
Nadine Jones
Jan 23, 2011 Nadine Jones marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s
One of the books listed in "1001 Children's Books"

I thought we'd read this one, but maybe not. I'll check it out. It's unlikely to surpass my all-time-favorite pirate picture book, Captain Flinn and the Pirate Dinosaurs (which, mind you, my kids don't love nearly as much as I do!)
Linda
We just loved the girl pirates. Very cool. The illustrations are very clever, and the tone of blues/purples for night time were very inviting and not really scary at all.

I liked that the book left you to your own imagination; and that I got asked the question "Were the shadows really pirates?". Well, that's just the point, you can make fun with shadows, they're not really scary at all.
Crystal
Feb 06, 2008 Crystal rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: children ages 2-7
I ordered this book for a child I chose off the YWCA Angel Tree for Christmas. I bought it because it sounded like something my 6 year old nephew would like.

The story was pretty simple but had a few interesting twists. I thought it was a good book for both boys and girls about friendship, acceptance and adventure.
Amanda
My son (age 3) loved this book. We checked it out from the library and had to renew it twice. The book has a nice cadence. Basic plot is a little boy who goes on an adventure with a bunch of little girl pirates who battle adult pirates. It's very cute and fun. It is on our "want-it" list to add to our personal collection.
I just ran across this book while planning a pirate-themed storytime for toddlers. It's the story of a little boy named Tom, who has his the front of his house stolen by a band of pirates--little girl pirates! It's adorable and perfect for reading aloud to preschoolers (of all ages!).
Amy
While the beautiful illustrations and creative placing and fonts were well done, they did not take away the fact that the story was actually pretty boring. My storytime group (0-5) were too young to notice the cool word layouts and I lost their attention pretty quick
Heidi
When I brought this out, the little girl gasped. She really likes pirates! I'm sure she was delighted this was about GIRL pirates. She certainly was quite wide-eyed during my reading of the book. Wonderful hints of this being imaginative play, but only hints.
Migirl
This little boy is talking about monsters and trolls adn then he found pirates stealing the front of his house. They go to a big pirate land and he tells them "if you don't give me back my treasure, I will tell my mommy!" That's why I liked it.
Rachel
My 3 year old loves this book. It has good repetition and she loves the idea of the rough and tough little girl pirates. The pictures are great and it is fun to read. On the other hand, the story does not make a lot of sense.
Warnie B.
Really cute story about a little boy who joins a bunch of little girl pirates when they come in the night to borrow the front of his house as a disguise! Beautiful illustrations, and it's a nice, quiet book, but also humorous.
Gavin
A little lad wakes up one night and joins a girl pirate ship to find treasure. Very entertaining for children and well illustrated. The adult pirates whose treasure the youngsters seek are particularly well done.
Kayla
This was a cute book. The adventure would be really exciting for children and the pictures are great. It wasn't my favorite book though. I don't think I could use it in a lesson, it would just be a fun book to read.
Aaron Schlafly
This book deserves to be a kids' classic. It engages my son (from age 3 to 4) with a charming, slightly dreamy story told in a lilting sometimes rhyming style.The closest comparison is "Where the Wild Things Are".
Ashley
A pirate book about girl pirates who kidnap a little boy in the middle of the night to help them find the treasure. It was good to find a book with female pirates when most stories only show male pirates.
  • The Boy Who Grew Flowers
  • Captain Flinn and the Pirate Dinosaurs
  • Snip Snap! What's That?
  • The Adventures of Maya the Bee
  • Shiver Me Letters: A Pirate ABC
  • That Pesky Rat
  • My Place
  • The Real Thief
  • John Brown, Rose and the Midnight Cat (Picture Puffin)
  • The Hodgeheg
  • The Three Robbers
  • AlphaOops!: The Day Z Went First
  • Beegu
  • Horrid Henry (L.A.F. Books)
  • Fox
  • Magic fishbone
  • Are We There Yet?: A Journey Around Australia
  • A Necklace of Raindrops and Other Stories
Peter Harris practiced law in South Africa for 15 years before being seconded to the National Peace Accord in the early 1990s. He headed the Monitoring Directorate of the Independent Electoral Commission for the 1994 election and is currently Executive Chairman of the Resolve Group Management Consultancy, which he co-founded.
More about Peter Harris...
El Enigma Vivaldi In a Different Time: The Inside Story of the Delmas Four Zen Poems Birth: The Conspiracy to Stop the '94 Election Three Hundred Tang Poems