Start by marking “The Night Pirates (Book & Cd)” as Want to Read:
The Night Pirates (Book & Cd)

The Night Pirates (Book & Cd)

3.91  ·  Rating Details  ·  506 Ratings  ·  90 Reviews
One night, young Tom is awoken by noises outside his house. He peeps out of the window, and what should he see but pirates - girl pirates! Tom decides to join in their adventures, as they sail the seas and attempt to steal the treasure which is guarded by the grown-ups.
Paperback
Published May 8th 2007 by Egmont Books (UK) (first published September 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Night Pirates, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Night Pirates

Sam Hopper
Oct 08, 2012 Sam Hopper rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Night Pirates is a children’s adventure book about some brave little girl pirates that take a young boy called Tom (along with the front of his house) on a mission to steal the treasure of some ‘really, tough grown-up’ pirates.

The story is captivating. The use of rhyme, alliteration and atmospheric illustrations build the suspense and excitement. The words are cleverly placed in patterns across each page which add to the drama and carry you along on the adventure. Different sized text is use
Jules
Aug 03, 2015 Jules rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My 4 year old niece, Daisy and I have been having a bit of a pirate themed day. We went on a treasure hunt around the house earlier, and she now has a chest full of treasure, so this was a fun book to read to her.
Josie
Jan 23, 2009 Josie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-book
I loved the illustrations! They were so warm for a book set at night. The mix of different medias was lovely -- I was especially fond of the graph paper houses. And I loved the fact that the pirates were little girls (who didn't exclude Tom for being a boy, which is a Good Lesson to throw in), and the baddies were the rough, tough, grown-up pirates. I liked the placement of the text on the page, the changes in the size, and the different fonts for certain words like "Captain Patch" and "girl pir ...more
Sabera
Sep 02, 2012 Sabera rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“Up up up the dark house they climbed…Stealthy as shadows, quiet as mice…Rough, tough little girl pirates!” The Night Pirates is unlike any other pirate story, primarily as the pirates are not the coarse, burly men we know of as pirates. But instead little girls that come to take Tom away on an adventure during the night!

The story begins with the pirates quietly coming down the street and climbing into Tom’s house before taking him off onto an adventure aboard a house-shaped pirate ship. Here he
Brad
As kids' picture books go, The Night Pirates is right up there with Where the Wild Things Are, The Sneetches and Stone Soup as one of my all-time faves.

The art is beautiful, GIRLS can be Pirates (how's that for crazy?!), the writing is perfectly suited to oral delivery, and there is NO violence. The closest we come is a big, bad Pirate Master threatening to sic his Mom on those who take his treasure.

It is wonderful. Read it to your kids, then have them read it to you. I guarantee (figuratively)
Keshia Smith
Apr 26, 2016 Keshia Smith rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fantastic read for a KS1 whole class read. Harris captures childrens imaginations cleverly and challenges the normal bounds of pirate stories by having the pirates as girls. The idea of dreams is cleverly conveyed allowing children to begin to look at inference within books and wider meaning. The layout and illustrations within the book work perfectly to capture and engage its audience. Finally the book allows for children to experiment reading with plenty of expression and changing voices to ...more
Aleha Begum
Jun 26, 2012 Aleha Begum rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A book with a fun, adventurous story. The illustrations are great and children seem to get lost in them.

The story has poetic repetition and highlighted words that are a great learning tool. I recommend this book for both boys and girls as it has girl pirates!

I read this book to a year 1 class and was a focus book for the theme on fantasy stories. The children really enjoyed this story and it was great for children to act out actions and do role plays. The role play area was designed to be a pir
Kelly
Title: The Night Pirates
Kelly Wiegand
February 23, 2015
EDL54500 Library Materials for Children and Youth

Title: The Night Pirates

Author: Peter Harris

Plot: Tom awakes to strange shadows and noises that turn out to be a band of girl pirates who are trying to use his house as a disguise for their ship. He convinces them to take him along with them on their journey to defeat Captain Patch and the grown up pirates and take the treasure for themselves.

Setting: Tom's house; Pirate Ship; Island

Character
Christina Hyde
Feb 15, 2015 Christina Hyde rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book follows the adventures of a little boy named Tom in the course of one night and takes the readers for a ride as well. This book is a great read aloud book for younger children and allows for different, fun pirate voices.

The print in this book is very unique, the words double as part of the illustrations. The words "down, down, down" actually go down the page and vice versa with the words up. One on page the book goes from horizontal to vertical to show the hugeness of the girls' pirate
Betsy
the illustrations and pop-up feature in this book is one of a kind. there is one page in which one of the pirates is hanging from a tree. it wasn't the usual pop-up feature. the illustrations are beautiful and detailed. however, the words and sentences in this book leave something to be desired. the sentences are too simple, i understand the need to repeat but it was overused in this book. also the plot wasn't interesting i thought that there could be more; a young boy tom goes on an adventure w ...more
Michelle McBeth
I had high hopes for this book. The cover is so adorable. But I found the story a bit difficult to follow especially for a picture book. The language was rather abstract. "A ship off on adventures. A ship stealing the front of Tom's house for disguise!" I have no idea how the ship stole the front of Tom's house. The book is also A bit scary as the pirates sneak in in the middle of the night and steal treasure from real fire breathing pirates. And why do the pirates who steal Tom away have to be ...more
Bianca
Dec 03, 2014 Bianca rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this picture book, I read it to my nephews and they enjoyed the smooth flow of the language and also the adventures within it. They especially liked the main character Tom, they thought he was awesome.

I liked the subtleness of the main messages of the book- if took a while to realise what exactly the book meant to convey but when you know you see it from about halfway through the book.

It's the typical mean vs nice, which is of course cool. And I like how it bends the roles of genders i
Martin Carberry
Jun 27, 2012 Martin Carberry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In brief this is a story of a young boy named Tom who, one night after going to bed sees strange shadows on the wall. It turns out that they are a band of mysterious girl pirates who are coming to steal the front of his house as a disguise for their pirate ship. Tom joins the pirates as they travel across the sea to steal some treasure from a group of older pirates. With the aid of the disguised ship, they surprise the pirates and manage to steal the treasure. The pirates return Tom just in time ...more
Micah
May 05, 2015 Micah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I liked that little boy, but I forget his name. I think it is Tom. He heard some banging in front of his house. He saw lots of pirates, well, there were only five. They made him a pirate and he had a golden sword. My favorite part was that they scared off the other bad pirates and got their treasure. One of the funniest parts was that the bad pirate said, "IF you don't give me your treasure, I'll tell my mommy!"

(reviewed by a 6 year old, typed by his mama)
Skye Kilaen
Feb 10, 2015 Skye Kilaen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Night Pirates is the calm, cool counterpart to the rumpus-type pirate books. Young Tom wakes up one night to find that a band of girl pirates are stealing the front of his house... what the heck? The dreamy feel of the art and writing makes this a perfect bedtime story, and the "kids get one over on grownups" adventure is satisfying even when you're the grownup. One of our favorite picture books about pirates.
Jessica Trufley
Feb 22, 2014 Jessica Trufley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is precious!!! By far the cutest book I've read this semester. It's about a little boy, Tom, who travels with little girl pirates and they steal the adult pirate's treasure. The words guide you through the pages, and have you look all around. It is a quick read, so if I had a could extra minutes at the end of class for the day, I would read this book at least once throughout the year!
Shelly
Mar 18, 2014 Shelly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a fun lively picture book about little girl pirates who come creeping in the night. My three year old daughters adored it snd it inspired a lot of pretend play. We also enjoyed the cd that came with it. The reader brought the story to life with his robust voice and the added pirate song was a nice surprise.
Deborah Moore
May 09, 2014 Deborah Moore rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This story about a boy who goes on an adventure with a band of girl pirates is hilarious. There is a lyrical quality to the writing without it resorting to rhyme. (not that there's anything wrong with that) It's a wonderful story to read a loud to your kids.
Marissa Morrison
A gang of little girl pirates steal the front of a boy's house in order to disguise their ship for a sneak attack in this fun read-aloud.
The Brothers
Feb 13, 2016 The Brothers rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pirates, treasure
Tom is a good and brave little boy who gets taken along on an adventure when little girl pirates "borrow" his house front to disguise their ship. They sail to an island and steal the grown-up pirate's treasure. Best part is when the grown-up pirate's captain shouts his worst pirate curse at them: "I'll tell my mommy!"

Excellent, engaging, and interesting illustrations.
Chris Aldrich
Oct 26, 2015 Chris Aldrich rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction-juvenile
An awesome and fun little book with not only a cute social twist, but a quirky twist at the end.
Ivan
Dec 02, 2014 Ivan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think I know someone who will love this. The illustrations are wonderful.
Kathy
Feb 21, 2014 Kathy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very cute children's book.
On a pirate theme right now for kids books.
Karen
Feb 21, 2014 Karen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
CC loved the little girl pirates! Cute story, great illustrations.
Nora
Feb 08, 2014 Nora rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: jp
I loved this pop-up book--perfect for a pirate storytime!!!
Kaethe
Jul 16, 2014 Kaethe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pirates, read-aloud
great girl pirates, creeping around the town at night
Kathy
Jul 05, 2015 Kathy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Creative illustrations. Great vocabulary
David
Jun 01, 2015 David rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun little story to read aloud.
Ellen
Feb 26, 2015 Ellen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
hooray for girl pirates!
  • The Lighthouse Keeper's Lunch (Picture Books)
  • Clever Polly and the Stupid Wolf
  • Come Away From the Water, Shirley
  • Katie Morag Delivers the Mail
  • Hodja fra Pjort
  • The Real Thief
  • Snip Snap! What's That?
  • Little Tim and the Brave Sea Captain
  • That Pesky Rat
  • The Adventures of Maya the Bee
  • Captain Flinn and the Pirate Dinosaurs
  • Mr. Majeika
  • Haunted House
  • Elsie Piddock Skips in Her Sleep (Candlewick Treasures)
  • Anno's Journey
  • Dailan Kifki
  • Les Contes du chat perché
  • Adventures of the Little Wooden Horse
Peter Harris practiced law in South Africa for 15 years before being seconded to the National Peace Accord in the early 1990s. He headed the Monitoring Directorate of the Independent Electoral Commission for the 1994 election and is currently Executive Chairman of the Resolve Group Management Consultancy, which he co-founded.
More about Peter Harris...