Start by marking “Flood!: A Novel in Pictures” as Want to Read:
Flood!: A Novel in Pictures

Flood!: A Novel in Pictures

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  377 ratings  ·  41 reviews
A record of our country's turbulent past and corporate present.
Published May 8th 2007 by Dark Horse Comics (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Flood!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Flood!

Jigar Brahmbhatt
I went through the images twice. I don't want to say I read this book twice coz there is nothing to read here. I just reveled in the power of the creator's imagination shining through the pages, like a mishmash of myths playing in an urban man's dream, affirming his ennui by way of their very presence.

There are motifs of destruction and creation in equal measure. An artist depicting the end of the world while the world around him ends, of water in its two prominent avatars - rain and flood. Of
João Moura
Ilustrações magníficas do isolamento social da vida moderna com imaginação pura a brotar de cada página. Nada que o autor não nos tivesse habituado já nas capas do The New Yorker. Foi deste livro que se retiraram as ilustrações do álbum King For a Day Fool for a Lifetime dos Faith No More. Um must-see portanto.
Gloria
Wordless storytelling through evocative mostly black-and-white panels. I would not classify this work as a novel, but as three free-standing "novellas" that reference allegory and myth, and incorporate symbolism and archetype. Strong criticism of social problems, especially urban poverty and decay.
Monique
Flood! was not a book I read, it was a book I experienced. Mostly silent, Drooker creates a sweeping story with powerful illustrations. Each panel is beautiful and attempting to convey so much. The dramatic contrast of thick black lines over blinding white space helps to create an atmosphere of tension, depression and gravity.

The story was beautiful, if a bit difficult to fully understand at times. With so much emotion exuding from every page, its a gripping tale. Flood! is a phenomenal example
Andy Shuping
The work displays the journey of one man and the life that he lives over different time periods. It's a tale of destruction, of energy, and oddly enough of hope in some ways. The last chapter is the longest and the most powerful as the man creates a story about the world at its ending, while the world ends around him. It has heartbreaking depictions and a feral energy to a man calling for the world's end. The artist in the story is so obsessed with finishing his work even as the water builds and ...more
Andy Shuping
Cross posted from Amazon:

Steph Myers
Primitive scratchboard imagery makes this GN feel much older. Some of the images are reminiscent of silent German expressionist films like the Cabinet of Dr. Caligari and Nosferatu. Universal survival themes butt up against an end of 20th century NY landscape, taking things in and out of context in the three chapters that make up the book. I liked it, but had to read it twice, as I wasn't sure I got what I was supposed to the first time. Guess that makes it pretty good.
Danielle D
I picked this one up after reading an article in English Journal about graphic novels for young adults. I cannot remember if this was one mentioned or if it was one I bought because it was linked to other titles that were purchased by the same people. However, it was an interesting experience to read a novel without any words/verbal narration. My purpose for my initial read was to deem whether it would be appropriate to incorporate the title into my classroom library (8th graders), and even thou ...more
Alexis
This was a really meh graphic novel for me. The art style wasn't fantastic, there was very little dialogue, and the overall story was choppy.
I wish they had used the cover's style throughout the entire book, because I fell in love with this cover!
Neville Ridley-smith
Art Spiegelman! Frank Miller! Neil Gaiman! Allen Ginsberg... all provided quotes on the back.

What on earth did I just read? I'm sure there's something literary going on (even though it's purely images with no words) - the kind of stuff that art majors would rhapsodise over - something about the human condition and the oppression of the self by the city or something. I can appreciate the art. And for the most part the stories are fairly straightforward. I had a quick flick back through it after f
HeavyReader
Beautiful, beautiful artwork. It blew me away the first time I saw it.

In 1996, I went to NYC for a Refuse + Resist conference. Anita and I journeyed to a bookstore (I want to say it was called People's Books, but I'm really not sure) and watch Eric Drooker play the harmonica and sing while showing slides from Flood! That's where I bought my copy of this book. Eric Drooker autographed my copy.

And I have to admit I was quite smitten by Mr. Drooker. However, when I had the chance to help host him a
Jeimy
I love the heartbreaking realities portrayed in the first chapter, but as the book's plot strayed from reality to fantasy it began to lose it's appeal.

The illustrations were captivating throughout.
Sara
I liked it. It's just pictures telling a story and it took me like 15 min to finish. The images were cool, i really liked the colours. I don't have much to say about it
Matthew
Beautiful, dreamlike, as relevant as it was in the early 90s. (In fact reading it now shows how eerily prescient it was.)
Zila_ShadowWolf
meh. This was very weird and not as good as Blood Song at all :/
Rachael
Probably the most beautiful thing I've ever read.
Christal
This was a really neat comic, the artist used no words (save one time for exclamation) and told various stories of the maincharacter all through pictures. And even more unique, it was done in only 3 colors: black, white and blue! There is the story of how our protagonist loses his job, a sort of mythos story down in the subway, and it all ends with the great flood story depicted on the counter. This is my first pictures only comic, and I really enjoyed and appreciated the storytelling done with ...more
Nux
Apr 04, 2009 Nux rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: indres, kanti
Flipped a few pages while I was browsing and then I was hooked! I had to take it home and finish it in one sitting... not as brillian as Shaun Tan's The Arrival (I'd give THAT one a ten star if I could). But this one's definitely worth poring over again and again.
Ruger
Mr. Drooker's drawings evoke myriad emotions. For those that have never been to New York this may skew your viewpoint a little as the book makes the city feel quite lonely--dark buildings rising up into darker skies--lonely souls dwelling inside. Tragic beauty that one should experience.
I got the chance to see this book in a slide show format at AK Press back when they were located in San Francisco's Mission District.
Rosanne
Skillful illustrations - Drooker seems to me like a master of the graphic form. I admit to not always knowing what he was trying to say through his pictures, other than that life is difficult and wears you down - seems like there was/should have been more to it than that? Overall, I really enjoyed having to look for meaning in the art rather than being told directly through words, even if I'm not sure I always found it.
Bryan Duffy
New York. Dreams. HOMELESS.
All these things tied into a graphic novel that spans hallucinations and time in New York City. Utterly brilliant.
If you ever get a chance to see this author in person...do so...he has amazing presentation for his books and usually plays Harmonica to a slide projector showing his drawings.
Carina
I can see why this book was such a big deal when it was published, however these days a graphic novel is not such a novelty and I feel like I've heard the story of the first book plenty of times before. I would be much more interested in reading an autobiography of Eric Drooker.
Story
Bold images, heartbreaking implications. This is one of those "holy-shit" comics, with a layered and nuanced view of city life, drawing the reader through the narrative with pictures only. Dreamlike at times, and harsh at others. Always beautiful.
Pamela
Apr 29, 2008 Pamela rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everybody who loves their city, especially if their city is NYC.
a novel-in-images in the style of Franz Masereel, & so slips into the unconscious & works profoundly in the dreamlife of the reader, accordingly. the most beautiful, insanely sensitive scratchboard artwork i've ever seen. the man is a crazed genius.
Alison
The story behind this book seems to be "life is hard and sad and also sometimes good." I admire the artist's mastery, but I think the scope of this book was too broad-- cosmic almost-- without much to actually say.
Brandy
Not really sure what I thought of this, but I know it wasn't quite what I was hoping for (not that I know what THAT is, exactly, either). I can recognize the skill in the art, but it still doesn't do anything for me.
David
Very beautiful art. neat mix of fantasy and reality. each page is beautifully done, and forces you to go back and look again.

drooker impressively tells a full story using no words whatsoever.
Timothy
A silent graphic novel.

Faux-artsy, non-linear.

It's how I imagine poetry should be enjoyed, if I were able to really understand how to enjoy written poetry at all.

Eric
I love this. Have had it for years, and turn back to it again and again. Well-drawn, wild, all-over-the-place and yet cohesive in story and gloomy, you're-fucked mood.
  • Gods' Man
  • Dead End
  • Cursed Pirate Girl: The Collected Edition, Volume One
  • The City
  • Freakangels Complete Box Set
  • Graphic Witness: Four Wordless Graphic Novels
  • Mister O
  • Julius Knipl, Real Estate Photographer
  • The Collected Fantasies, Vol. 3: The Airtight Garage (The Collected Fantasies of Jean Giraud, #3)
  • Illuminated Poems
  • Swallow Me Whole
  • Kramers Ergot #6
  • The Best American Comics 2009
  • Fox Bunny Funny
Blood Song Street Posters and Ballads Slingshot: 32 Postcards Flood!: A Novel in Pictures  (4th edition) Subversion: L'art Insoumis D'eric Drooker