I Been in Sorrow's Kitchen and Licked Out All the Pots

I Been in Sorrow's Kitchen and Licked Out All the Pots

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  326 ratings  ·  50 reviews
Beginning in the late 1950s, this novel tells the story of Marietta Cook, a tall girl growing up in Pine Gardens, a Gullah-speaking village in South Carolina. When Marietta's mother passes, she heads to Charleston in search of her uncle - only to find a lover and return pregnant with twins two years later. She raises her sons back home in the low country before moving the...more
Published July 15th 1993 by Anchor (first published 1992)

Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee by Dee BrownThe Help by Kathryn StockettThe Bluest Eye by Toni MorrisonThe New Jim Crow by Michelle AlexanderThe Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot
Books White People Need To Read
80th out of 304 books — 338 voters
The Unbearable Lightness of Being by Milan KunderaOne Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcí­a MárquezA Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled HosseiniExtremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran FoerTo Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
Most Poetic Book Titles
258th out of 773 books — 431 voters

More lists with this book...

Caroline Alicia
This is my second? third? Susan Straight novel. When I finally took a second to look at the back flap author blurb, you could have punched in the face I was so shocked. She's ...white.... Does...does she live in an all Black neighborhood? Black hubbie?

Anywho, this book is pretty good. If it weren't for having to re-read the Gullah parts, it's almost as good as Blacker than a Thousand Midnights.

The best part is that, although a white woman writing this, this isn't some "poor black people wallow...more
Karey
Wow. The protagonist in this story is a woman of incredible strength and depth of character that makes me want -- still to this day -- to be able to forge ahead through the challenges of life with dignity.
Judith
I Been in Sorrow’s Kitchen and Licked Out All the Pots by Susan Straight opens in a Gullah-speaking village in South Carolina where 14-year-old Marietta Cook’s mother is ailing. After she dies, Marietta makes her way to Charleston. Already as tall as a man, with skin like her father's -- as dark as night -- she gets herself a job doing men's work: cleaning fish, hauling goods and mopping floors. In time, she also finds a lover, so when her pregnancy begins to show, she returns to her home villa...more
Rebecca
Sad book to read, but so interesting. I was surprised to learn about the perspective of another, one I assumed was a lot like me. I don't realize the assumptions I make. For example, the main character, Marietta, is at a football game, wearing her new "Africa" print top. A white man approaches her and asks if this is her first football game. "You're from Africa, right?" When she tells her daughter-in-law about this later, the daughter-in-law says, "What was he going to do if you were? Start talk...more
Peggy
I've been putting off reading this book even though I bought it for my Kindle weeks ago. I've never heard of Susan Straight, and wasn't sure what the book would be about, reading the title. I am a student of African American history, and culture. I knew I would probably like the book, but was afraid to be disappointed.

I definitely wasn't disappointed! This book has a poignancy and a seriousness to it that made it very hard to put down. I read into the night two nights, and finished the book in t...more
Denise
A compelling novel set (at first) in 1960s backwoods South Carolina. A little tricky to get past the regional black patois at the beginning, but after that a fast read. Very good local color of the Charleston area and later on of Southern California.
jessica
Apr 04, 2007 jessica rated it 5 of 5 stars Recommends it for: everyone
susan straight is one of my absolute favorite authors. every single book of hers is amazing and will take you to places (i'm thinking that ..) you've never been. if i told you the plot, it wouldn't even begin to do it justice - just read it!
Wendy
Jul 01, 2007 Wendy rated it 5 of 5 stars Recommends it for: folks
Surprisingly moving - it made me cry on the beach in Australia. I like this Susan Straight: She has a sense of history and an interest in how people get to where they are both geographically and in their interior lives. I want to try more by her.
MissFidget
Damn fine book. Feels authentic and accurate in it's depiction of SC Low Country and culture. Roots medicine is cool. Ending made me cry. If they make a movie, for shure they'll screw it up (but I wish they'd make a good film of it).
Coralie
Dec 27, 2009 Coralie added it
Shelves: 2009
Marietta grew up in the Low Country of South Carolina, she speaks Gullah but is not from the islands. She is a very large, very black girl who is not a favorite among the women of the neighborhood. She doesn't like to help do the daily work. She would rather fish and hang out in the woods. When Marietta is 15, her mother dies and she tries to escape the control of her aunt and the other neighborhood women by going to Charleston in search of her uncle. In Charleston, Marietta learns about life in...more
Donna
How many white authors have the nerve to write as if they can see into the very soul of an African-American protagonist? I only know of one, and I think she carries it off really well.

There's good reason for it: Straight grew up as virtually the only Caucasian in a Black neighborhood in Riverside, California. Culturally, she considers herself Black.

She's written several good novels, but this one may be the most memorable so far. Her protagonist lives in an almost unreachable island off the Carol...more
J
In "I Been in Sorrow's Kitchen and Licked Out All the Pots" the story begins with the women of Pine Garden, a close knit community formed by the descendants of slaves, selling their wares on the roadside of the highway leading to Charleston, SC. We meet 6 feet tall, 14 year old Marietta, who is described as "wild" beacuse she'd rather spend her days in trees reading or fishing and shrimping with the menfolk than learning the intricate basket weaving technique of the women.

After the sudden death...more
Tammey
Such an awesome read. I picked this book up on a clearance, not really expecting much until I read the first page. I was hooked from the beginning. The dialect was a little confusing at first, but once I immersed myself, it flowed like honey. The main character, Marietta Cook, is the epitome of resilience. Highly recommend.
Jessica
Another great read! Since I don't usually read the book description on the inside jacket, I initially had a hard time understanding what was going on with the dialect. After getting into the first few chapters I realized that this it was gullah or creole. The title, an old saying passed on from generation to generation, may lead some readers to believe this book is on the heavy side but it isn't. Sure, the characters face hardships but who doesn't! I love how the author gets you thinking about t...more
Jana
i picked up this book because of the title, best title i've ever seen. really good book, you fall into it so far you start thinking in the way the characters speak. getting near the end now tho and having trouble finishing, starting to drag. still, i recommend it. she takes you in so that you don't even realize you are walking along with the main character and seeing everything she sees.
few weeks later..... i can't finish this book. i absolutely loved the first 2/3rds but it's been dragging to m...more
Jeana
ok. this book is really about style, not plot. the plot isn't anything special. "gullah grrl goes to big city, gets pregnant, comes home, leaves home, raises sons." yay.

but it's the language and the way the language illustrates feeling that is interesting about this book.

interesting. not necessarily compelling. because the plot's so thin, there were many times when i thought, "why, self? why is self reading this?" i did want to know how it ended, but it wasn't that big a deal.

so. one needs to be...more
Cynthia
Things I Love about this book:
1. The title. Completely awesome.
2. The author's name. Cool.
3. The cover art, by Michael Schwab. The stark print depicts the protagonist, Marietta Cook, from below, half her face in shadow. Her fists appear to be clenched.
4. The author, Susan Straight, is a tiny white woman. Her character Marietta, is a very large woman with blue-black skin. I don't know if this takes cultural sensitivity or just guts, but either way, Straight pulls it off. Loved it.
Stephanie
I'd been hearing the title for a long time and wanted to read this, so when I saw it on the shelf at a library book sale I jumped on it. Susan Straight does an amazing job with the inner thoughts of an introverted woman from rural South Carolina as she travels through life. The dialect is well written and Marietta is definitely a character I care about. That said, The book ended... poorly? Abruptly? Strangely? Like a sequel was coming? Definitely unsatisfying conclusion.
Hans
4.5 stars - Though this book is often quiet and slow, the result is quite powerful and unexpected...just like the central character Marietta Cook. This is a book that will stick with me for a long time.

(view spoiler)
Marina Aimer
What an incredible story! I read it years ago and again several months ago, and it just stays with me. Marietta is such a strong and admirable character. I love the sense of place in the work, and the many rich details. I think about her when I have difficult choices to make, or when hardship finds me and I am tempted to complain... Excellent story!
Shannon Barber
This is a really lovely novel. I really enjoy Susan Straight's usage of Gullah. In general the language in this book is very beautiful, compelling and well worth the read. I will say that if you are a person who has trouble reading dialects this book may not be for you. If you have read Irvine Welsh's books and had trouble this one may take some time.
Ellen Johnson
I loved the first parts before the football playing started and the pacing changed. Loved the connection with nature at beginning and returned to at the end. The portrayal of the dialect was spot on. I have done research on Gullah and I know. Gives us a view into a world most outsiders never see.
Mary
read years ago and loved it. Going to re-read to see if it still holds true.
just finished again....yes I still really liked it, had a hard time putting it down, didn't skim and didn't read the ending first. Even though I already read it I forgot how it ended.
Jane
I stumbled on this book by accident, had never heard a thing about it, which made its greatness all the more sideswipingly astonishing. A powerful story with delicately drawn characters and amazing dialogue without a skerrick of sentimentality. Just beautiful.
Rainbolt
Liked the characters and the story, but, the book just ended -- almost as if the author had a minimum number of pages to write and once she hit it, that was it.
Barbara
This is the second time I've read this book, and I loved it. It's a little difficult to understand the gulla dialogue, but Marietta is an amazing woman who overcame poverty and loneliness to make a life for herself and her twin boys ("weself")!
Suzie
I read this book about 8 years ago or so. I was struggling a little with baby blues and the title just grabbed me. Could not put this book down. I really would like to re read this book at some point.
Patty
An excellent book. The story of a hard and lonely life that tuns out to be satisfying. Excellent characters. Not an adventure book, but compelling nonetheless. A tribute to family and community.
Sundry
I loved this book. Partly because I'd seen the women Straight writes about weaving and selling baskets alongside the road in the Carolinas. I bought one from one of them as a kid.
Kelli
I loved the poetic Gullah voice of the main character. Her strength she gained through hardships and how the community around her became her family and helped lift her up.
  • Substitute Me
  • Baby of the Family
  • A Hole in the Universe
  • Black Ice
  • Black Indians: A Hidden Heritage

Susan Straight's newest novel is "Between Heaven and Here." It is the last in the Rio Seco Trilogy, which began with "A Million Nightingales" and "Take One Candle Light a Room." She has published eight novels, a novel for young readers and a children's book. She has also written essays and articles for numerous national publications, including The New York Times, Los Angeles Times, The Nation and...more
More about Susan Straight...
A Million Nightingales Highwire Moon Take One Candle Light a Room Between Heaven and Here Blacker Than a Thousand Midnights