Start by marking “War of the Worlds: Global Dispatches (Bantam Spectra Book)” as Want to Read:
War of the Worlds: Global Dispatches (Bantam Spectra Book)

War of the Worlds: Global Dispatches (Bantam Spectra Book)

In this one-of-a-kind collection, 19 leading science fiction writers imagine H.G. Wells's Martian invasion through the eyes of turn-of-the-century authors and notable figures, from points all around the world. Contributors include Gregory Benford, David Brin, Mike Resnick, Barbara Hambly, and others.
Published May 1st 1996 by Spectra (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about War of the Worlds, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about War of the Worlds

Jacob
April 2009

Although eyewitness accounts of the Martian invasion in The War of the Worlds were limited to England, there were some hints that the destruction took place on a much larger scale. Here, in War of the Worlds: Global Dispatches, editor Kevin J. Anderson gathers a collection of other stories of the devastation: historical reports from all over the globe, from people as diverse as Kipling, Einstein, Jack London, Twain, Tolstoy, H. P. Lovecraft, and many others.

It's quite a fun collection
Denis
Apr 24, 2017 Denis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: do-not-own
An excellent idea for a collections of stories. I loved every one of them. "War of the Worlds" not simply England vs Mars or in films, America vs Mars in the 50's or with Tom Cruise with Hummers and high tech weapons and such. This is China, Kongo, Russia, France, the Amerian south, and even literary icons dealing with this invasion during a time when the world was on the brink of a major technological leap forward (sound familiar) at the dawn of the 20th century.

High lights? You be the judge.

Fo
Otherwyrld
When I reviewed The War of the Worlds a while back I bemoaned the fact that the action was set in one small corner of England, and that there is little mention of what is happening in the rest of the world. This collection of short stories tries to rectify this by showing events from a wide variety of perspectives. The literary conceit here is that each story is written by a modern Science Fiction author in the style of someone who would have been alive at the time of the Martian invasion. On th ...more
Kathryn
Feb 05, 2011 Kathryn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Science fiction lovers
Shelves: science-fiction
War of the Worlds: Global Dispatches is an entertaining collection of short stories that are purportedly by historical figures who would have been alive to witness the landing of the Martians as described in Wells's The War of the Worlds. The stories are, of course, ghostwritten by current SF authors.

The historical figures included Rudyard Kipling, Joseph Conrad, Theodore Roosevelt, Edgar Rice Burroughs, H.P. Lovecraft, Percival Lowell, Mark Twain, Jack London, and even Emily Dickinson. The latt
Alex Sarll
You can understand the thinking: HG Wells told us what happened in Britain, but there is certainly an interest in imagining how the Martian invasion might also have affected less important parts of the planet. Not that the contributors are obliged to maintain total consistency with each other's accounts, or even Wells' (which in one of the better stories ends up not even being by Wells) - but for the idea to maintain any coherence, they have to retain some, and there the problems begin. Because ...more
Patrick Justo
Feb 18, 2014 Patrick Justo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
This is a brilliant idea for a book. What if H.G. Wells's "War of the Worlds" was not a novel, but journalism about an actual Martian invasion of the earth in 1898? How would the invasion have looked to other prominent writers of the time?

Various contemporary science fiction authors were invited to write stories of Wells's Martian invasion in the style of people like Joseph Conrad (reporting from his job as riverboat captain in the Belgian Congo), Jack London (reporting from the Klondike), Jules
Timothy Tobolski
One of the few books in my collection that I cannot help but read every couple of years. And after recently reading about Twain, Teddy, and a few other historical personalities, this week seems to be a perfect time for it.
Larry Wegman
Jun 01, 2017 Larry Wegman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Assuming H.G. Wells' War of the Worlds happened, several famous people of that day have their stories told by some of the top names in today's science fiction. All are at least pretty good; some are great!
Andrew Booth
Jun 16, 2017 Andrew Booth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed this romp through the classical sci-fi world of HG. Fresh and original stories from the time of the Martian invasion.
Faith Justice
Nov 03, 2012 Faith Justice rated it liked it
As with most anthologies, this one has hits and misses, but many more of the former. The theme or conceit of this one is that well-known people, all over the world (but mostly in the US and Europe) write up their personal accounts of the Martian Invasion chronicled by H. G. Wells in his The War of the Worlds. The accounts are written by today's most talented science fiction authors "in the style of" the historical figures providing an interesting writing challenge to provide a compelling story i ...more
Jonathan
May 24, 2014 Jonathan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: steampunk-read
Kevin J. Anderson has assembled an enjoyable collection of short stories written by some of the genre's most intriguing authors. Using the events of the legendary H.G. Wells "War of the Worlds" as the blue print, each story is from the point of view of some of the great man’s fellow writers of the time, such as Jules Verne, M.R James and Jack London. There are many standout moments and very few all wide of the mark.
Using famous people from the Victorian era is a great idea; as their points of
Clark
Nov 27, 2013 Clark rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting idea.... other authors and famous people from the time give their versions of HG Wells recounting of the circa 1900 Martian invasion.

Really liked the Twain, the Kipling, the Edgar Rice Burroughs, and the Teddy Roosevelt stories. The Emily Dickinson mock scholarly essay was also a hoot. And the final summation by Jules Verne was both funny and resonant.

So, it was fun... but the nature of this sort of round-robin work means that the reader is going to be reading essentially the same
Toni
Oct 01, 2015 Toni rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Using the premise that HG Wells' Martian invasion happened not simply in England but around the world, this is an original and entertaining anthology. The events are seen through the eyes and words of Emily Dickinson (who had pre-deceased the event so her version is no mean feat), as well as Jules Verne, Albert Einstein, Pablo Picasso, Mark Twain, HP Lovecraft, and others who lived during that time and might've been involved in one of the invasions. Writing in their styles, Robert Silverberg, ed ...more
Kevin J.J. Carpenter
Woah. What a mixed bag! When I first heard about this anthology, I thought the concept was ingenious. Taking an established mythology and expanding upon it, using historical persons of merit as a literary vessel, rather than just butchering a well-loved work of the public domain? I was all on board!

The execution? Some of them hit the mark and surpassed the magic of the original. Some of them were mediocre replicas of the original novel. Some were utter shit, such as the Henry James segment, whic
Greg
Jan 15, 2015 Greg rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A series of stories written as letters from individuals who experienced it from around the world. Each story is a chapter in length (30 min in audio) and when the chapter ends, it moves to the next individual. It sounds promising, but honestly it was boring. There is no continuing story, or build up, or one story somehow leading to another. literally a story starts with Martians landing, and end with them getting sick and dying. After the 20th time you get pretty sick of it. A couple writers hav ...more
Donna
I loved the premise of this book: the story of the Martian invasion of The War of the Worlds told by well known science fiction writers from the perspective of famous historical figures of the era. Overall, it was good but there were too few standouts for me to go higher than 3 stars. My favorites were "The Dowager Empress of China" by Walter Jon Williams and "Mark Twain" by Daniel Keys Moran and Jodi Moran. "Jack London" by Dave Wolverton was the darkest and most gripping but the fight scene wa ...more
M
Dec 29, 2011 M rated it liked it
This collection is interesting, but I think the execution could be a lot better. Some of the stories are quite good, like the Lovecraft story, while some are merely okay albeit interesting, like the Jack London story. However, the final story in the collection, about Emily Dickinson, is just a horribly unfunny attempt at humor that is completely out of place amongst the relatively serious stories in the rest of the collection. The other issues I have with the book is that the stories tend to tak ...more
Brent Mair
Jan 25, 2015 Brent Mair rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Four stars is generous, but this conglomeration of new War of the World stories is amusing. Especially, or possibly, only, if you know something about the authors or public figures that are at the stories center. My favorites was the H.P. Lovecraft story, Jack London's, and the Texas Rangers.

The stories are a bit repetitive, so perhaps reading them as short stories in small doses is the best way to consume.

I'm certain that my Audible consumption also added to my amusement. The narrator was excel
Mark
Apr 16, 2014 Mark rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In H.G. Wells' War of the Worlds, Martians invade England, spreading havoc and death wherever they go. Now Global Dispatches tells readers how the rest of the world fared in the fight against the alien invaders. These dispatches are told from the perspectives of the leading men of the age - Teddy Roosevelt, Winston Churchill, Jules Verne, Mark Twain and a dozen other luminaries.

Most tell their story as one of the hunted, fleeing the devastation of the enemy. But some enjoy a more assertive role
B. Reese
Jun 27, 2015 B. Reese rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So far I have read only one story in here, the one where John Carter discovers the stronghold of the War of the Worlds aliens on Mars. and oh, what a story it is. Unfortunately, true to form it sort of ends on a cliffhanger, but you can just pick up the opening scenes for League of Extraordinary gentleman vol 2 (which is the only part worth reading of that comic).

Anyone wanting more John Carter should at least read his story in here.

Ken
Feb 18, 2016 Ken rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a well conceived book by a group of talented authors, most unfamiliar to me. For discovering new authors it is a true find. For the majority of disparate approaches to a common theme, the book reminded me of several evenings spent reading student essays in a creative wring class. While much effort and creativity was present in all, some were better than others. Some were sophomoric. Some, overly contrived. For the most part the class effort would rate an A-.
Keith Parker
Jan 21, 2015 Keith Parker rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was quite impressed by this diverse collection that purports to be observations of the Martian invasion from famous nineteenth century figures. These figures range from Mark Twain to Albert Einstein to China's empress. I loved the literary quality of the stories and, while they lacked suspense since we all know what happened, I did find the different points of view on the fictional invasion to be really entertaining.
Travis
Apr 27, 2015 Travis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scifi
A bevy of historical figures (Einstein, Teddy Roosevelt, Verne, Picasso, Kipling, Jack London, Lovecraft, Mark Twain.......) each encounter the invading Martians and write about them in their own unique styles. A fun mix of stories of variable quality. A particularly fun one is Connie Willis's Hugo-winning story parodying the over-analysis of poetry, in which two Dickinson poems are re-interpreted to have been about the Martian invasion....
Steve
Feb 05, 2016 Steve rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A set of variations on Well's "War of the Worlds." Like any collection of short stories, some are better than others. Overall, these are good, especially those that add a twist to what could have been an endless stream of telling the same story over and over again. My favorites were Emily Dickenson (Connie Willis), Jack London (Dave Wolverton), and Edgar Rice Burroughs (George Alec Effinger). Very different stories, but they all took the theme and really added something to it.
Jan Millsapps
Oct 24, 2013 Jan Millsapps rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Curious take on the Wells classic. Best part is that each of the "dispatches" offers perspective based on its "author" - loved the ones by Einstein, Lovecraft, Picasso, Twain. The Emily Dickinson dispatch is just plain silly, but somehow has stayed with me more than any other - the Martians invade, dead poet comes to the rescue!
Alexander Little
The first half of this book was an amazing joyful read, set up to be one of my favourites. However the second half just seemed to repeat the same story over and over. I understand it is the same event seen through the eyes of others and that was wonderful to start with however I just feel that this book had double the stories it really needed to have just to cover more names and pages.
Tricia
Sep 03, 2011 Tricia marked it as abandoned  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
This wasn't living up to my expectations. Some of the chapters were interesting and/or thought-provoking (such as Einstein's), but others were just meh. I didn't rush to finish when I realized my ILL time was up. Maybe I'll request it again in a few months to see if I can finish and provide a more thorough response.
Tri Le
An amusing collection of short stories from the perspective of historical figures if H.G. Wells' War of the Worlds had existed. Some were hits, some were not, as with any anthology but it was a good attempt to tell the story of the War of the Worlds from different perspectives.
Michael Hanscom
Fun collection of alternate looks at the Martian invasion, ostensibly from other notable personalities of the time. Overall, quite enjoyable, with a higher ratio of worthwhile stories than some other anthologies have.
Kathy
Dec 10, 2013 Kathy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
some good stories, some I didn't care so much about, but an interesting concept. It's a series of short stories about the Martian invasion, as seen through the eyes of different historical persons, written by a variety of authors.
  • The Martian War: A Thrilling Eyewitness Account of the Recent Invasion As Reported by Mr. H.G. Wells
  • Mysteries of the Diogenes Club
  • Year's Best SF 8
  • The War of the Worlds: H.G. Wells's Classic Plus Blood, Guts and Zombies
  • The Encyclopedia of Fantastic Victoriana
  • Space Opera
  • Worlds that Weren't
  • The Mammoth Book of Alternate Histories
  • The Japanese Devil Fish Girl and Other Unnatural Attractions (Japanese Devil Fish Girl #1)
  • The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: War of the Worlds
  • Lost Pages
  • Lightspeed: Year One
  • The Apex Book of World SF (Apex Book of World SF #1)
  • The Suicide Exhibition (The Never War #1)
  • Classics Mutilated
  • Lights in the Deep
  • Hoka (Hoka, #3)
  • Eclipse 1: New Science Fiction and Fantasy

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Pseudonyms: Gabriel Mesta, K.J. Anderson

He has written spin-off novels for Star Wars, StarCraft, Titan A.E., and The X-Files, and is the co-author of the Dune prequels. His original works include the Saga of Seven Suns series and the Nebula Award-nominated Assemblers of Infinity. He has also written several comic books including the Dark Horse Star Wars collection Tales of the Jedi written in coll
More about Kevin J. Anderson...