Start by marking “Dare To Love” as Want to Read:
Dare To Love

Dare To Love

3.72  ·  Rating Details ·  1,624 Ratings  ·  96 Reviews
A romantic game of chicken—and they’re both too stubborn to flinch.

Lucy Fairchild, lawyer and heiress to the Fairchild fortune, has just had the worst day of her life. Her father has found the perfect man for her to marry. Yes, she’s thirty and single, but that doesn’t give her father the right to run her life. She’ll choose her own husband—someday.

Jake Dalton is strugglin
Published July 29th 2008 by Samhain Publishing (first published July 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Dare To Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dare To Love

Tammy
The only risk I thought I would take by reading this book was death by boredom. Or maybe death by bad dialogue and lack of plot. I've always been a take-the-challenge kind of girl, so I thought I would give this one a shot in spite of the warnings and bad reviews.

Lucy and Jake first meet at a construction site. Lucy is heckled by several construction workers and demands to speak to their employer. Enter Jake. Verbal sparks fly. Jake insinuates that Lucy is a snob and then dares her to go on a da
Auntee
May 12, 2009 Auntee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of sexy contemporary romance of social opposites
This was a cute, easy read--it sort of reminded me of a sexed-up version of a Harlequin Blaze. Jaci Burton has an easy, breezy style that's easy to get into. This story wasn't real big on substance, and the characters had some annoying flaws, but if you're looking for an uncomplicated couple of hours of reading, this one will do the trick.

Lucy Fairchild is a 30 year old lawyer working in her well-to-do father's firm. Her manipulating, controlling father thinks it's high time she got married and
Eastofoz
Dec 14, 2009 Eastofoz rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Eastofoz by: Auntee
A plotless wonder mixed with boredom, an unlikeable hero and a wishy washy heroine, this book just didn’t work for me and I had high hopes seeing as it was my first Jaci Burton.

Lucy the heroine meets Jake the construction owner on a worksite. She gets the stereotypical catcalls and dog whistles as she demands to speak to the boss. Problem: her “demanding” is very weak for a lawyer and this is only the beginning. You’d think a lawyer described as she was (the chew ‘em up and spit ‘em out kind) wo
Shawna
4 stars – Contemporary Romance

I’m stuck between 3 and 4 stars for this one because although I love Jaci Burton and am a fan of the whole ‘rich girl/former poor boy from wrong side of the tracks opposites attract’ theme, it just didn’t quite curl my toes. I enjoyed it well enough and it’s a lighthearted, super fast read, but the characters were all a little bit irritating to me and the romance wasn’t nearly as steamy as I had expected (and hoped).

Lucy Fairchild is a high powered lawyer in her fat
Stephanie
May 19, 2016 Stephanie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-book
DARE TO LOVE: Bad Dad & an Anachronism to Boot!

Audiobook provided by publisher for review. No remuneration was exchanged and all opinions presented herein are my own except as noted.

This book starts out with a woman fuming over her father’s suggestion that she marry a guy she dislikes and being catcalled by some construction workers. Then, when she talks to their boss, he proves he hasn’t had any sensitivity training.

I know cat calling still exists, b
Shxrxn
Mar 09, 2011 Shxrxn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mortal embarrassment obviously outweighed politeness.
- Lucy
You’ll never know what you missed.
- Jake
Go out with me. Take a walk on the wild side. Or are you too afraid you’ll get your perfectly manicured hands a little dirty?
She’s not my type.
- Jake
That’s what we all say. Right up until they lead us down the aisle.
- Bob
He knew all about want. There were a lot of things he wanted in life. Some he’d managed to get. Some he hadn’t gotten yet, and some he never would.
Was I mistaken last n
LaFleurBleue
It could have been really good, though unoriginal, if the heroine had been different. Once the hero rold her that he did not see her as a pushover, my reaction was immediate - yes indeed she was only a big pushover with no real substance. At 30, she still lived with Daddy - in a huge mansion, agreed; she chose her studies and profession to please Daddy and never really discussed what she wanted to really do, nor seem to have any hobby or voluntary work in this field that supposedly is so importa ...more
Eman
Oct 27, 2012 Eman rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: finished
Romance novels are almost the same; two people fall in love and face some obstacles and they've two choices; either to overcome these obstacles and hypothetically live happily ever after or they fail to overcome them and end up apart, yet what makes a good and different romance is what lurks between the lines.
Erotic Horizon
Jun 06, 2009 Erotic Horizon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lucy Fairchild of the San Francisco Fairchilds has always done what is expected of her. She follows her father into the family law firm, a career which is so far removed from what she really wants to do. When her father goes out and declares that he has found his choice of husband for her, she realizes she has to put a stop to her father’s controlling ways, and quickly. But does she have the strength to choose for herself and make her own destiny?

Jake Dalton, an up and coming contractor, has no
★¸. • * ° * ༺*Blanka*༺*°°*•.¸. ♥★

Jake Dalton is struggling to make his fledgling construction company a success. Ever mindful of his father’s derogatory comments that he’d never amount to anything, he’s spent his entire life trying to prove he’s not
Lucy Dosch
DNF - Rarely am I annoyed that quickly by two characters that I immediately toss it aside. Although I have liked other Jaci Burton stories, Lucy bothered me from the very start. I had hoped that the more down to earth Jake would save the story, but after flirting and daring Lucy to go out with him, we have him turn around and going "why would I bother with her." Good question. From the first chapter, we see that Lucy is rich and spoiled and quite surprised that her father is trying to marry her ...more
Debbie (Doc)
2 stars

Thanks to Tantor Media for giving me this book in exchange for an honest review.

For such a short read, this book was way too long. If it weren’t for the narrator, I would find this book to be almost impossible to finish. Lucy Fairchild was a successful attorney and was heir to the Fairchild fortune. However, Lucy’s personal life was anything but successful. Lucy was deemed as a weak adult who listened to her daddy and did not follow her heart. Although Lucy has her own wing in her daddy’
Christine
I really love Jaci's story telling voice. The dialogue is snappy and flows smoothly. The pace of her stories is just perfect. This is a contemporary romance of two people who come together on a date on a dare. They're from opposite worlds--Lucy's a lawyer from a wealthy family with a controlling father and Jake's a self made owner of a construction company and had been a teen runaway years ago. Both Lucy and Jake have to come to terms with their fathers' control over them. Lucy's father wants to ...more
Katrina
3 1/2 stars

A romance filled with some smokin hot sexy moments, likeable characters and a read that can be read from front to back in one sitting. For all those who like a little humour in there reads, lovin, and a happily ever after this is a great afternoon read while relaxing or if you’re in the mood for a quickie romance.

Dare to love was short compared to other books I have read of Jaci's but I very much enjoyed it.. Who doesnt love a bit of romance!!!

Construction worker built like a tank
Pboswell
Oct 31, 2015 Pboswell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jake and Lucy were a riot from the beginning. I hate that Lucy had the family issues that she did, a father whose so blinded by money and privilege that he forgot to love his daughter and with her mother gone for such a long time Lucy was in need of love. Because Jake knew what it was like to no longer have a mother and to be left with a father who didn't give a shit — Jake knew exactly what Lucy needed.

To the outside world, Jake wasn't good enough for Lucy...she was out of his league and he ha
Deanna Against Censorship
Jake and Lucy agree to "pretend" a relationship to stop her father's forcing a choice of a husband on Lucy. Force! Lucy is a top lawyer, a fierce courtroom lawyer at that. Where is her spine? Of course the "fake" relationship quickly morphs into the real thing. Jake's character had so much potential. We never uncover what happened to make Jake runaway when he was 16. There are hints that he has a similar background to Lucy but the facts are just left dangling out there in nowhere land. Lucy is a ...more
Miss Kristine
Sep 12, 2016 Miss Kristine rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Full review at : https://misskristinesreviews.wordpres...

Summary – Lucy Fairchild walks from her place of work (her dad’s law practice she will take over someday) to the coffee shop, when she gets catcalled by some construction workers. Next thing she knows, she is accepting a date from Jake Dalton, the construction manager. She doesn’t want to get into a relationship, but she also does not want to date the man her dad picked out for her. Maybe Jake can make the perfect fake boyfriend for a whil
Elizabeth
Almost a five star book, really loved it. Likeable characters, believable plot, smoking scenes. One of those books where I got to the end and I was disappointed that it was over because I liked the characters so much that I just wanted to spend time with them. Everything I'm hoping for in a contemporary romance.

(My only nitpick was I'm not completely convinced the main characters biggest desire in life is to be a kindergarten teacher.)

This is the first book I've read by Jaci Burton I will defin
Judith
Sep 15, 2010 Judith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fascinating to watch a highly successful attorney who has been manipulated and controlled by an emotionally unavailable father as she meets and falls in love with a full-fledged, authentic alpha-male who hides the fact that he is well-educated, self-made, and successful in his own right behind his "construction boss" persona. A story of discovery of one's own value apart from one's career--what it means to be real and accessible in an authentic love relationship. Burton knows how to tell a love ...more
Sara Luck
May 24, 2013 Sara Luck rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not really sure if I like Jaci Burton writing books that arent filled with steamy sex. This was a good book, even it it was a little sappy. It was sweet, sometimes too sweet, but still good.
Jake and Lucy were both great characters. They both needed a boost in the confidence department, and I think when they communicated their feelings instead of assuming it helped both of them...duh...kind of helpful to all. Anyway, it was good, not great. I felt no great emotional response, other than to say "
Bookwormgirl
May 09, 2011 Bookwormgirl rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
Where was the spine in this woman? Cliches abound in this one, from frustrated kindergarten teacher/lawyer to evil fathers to a hero whose past you never really find out about (he ran away at 16 and felt he need to be a success to prove his dad wrong, okay why? what was the motivation for running away and being relationship shy for most of his life?). The story could have been great if the characters had been more fleshed out.

A very quick read.
 Pleasures Chest
I've only read Unwrapped by Jaci Burton (Holiday Seduction Anthology) and I really enjoyed it. I enjoyed it enough to go out and purchase Dare to Love.

I was a little disappointed with this book. I didn't hate it, it was a fast read and it had a decent plot. I didn't feel there was any real chemistry between Jake and Lucy. There were a few moments that were sweet but it was lacking passion.

Rupine
Jun 05, 2013 Rupine rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Uptight rich girl Lucile & laid back hot construction worker Jake Dalton cross paths.sparks fly and "an arrangement" turns into something more. But can Lucile leave her rich, snobby world & her fathers wishes to marry her off to a rich guy & can Jake handle the pressure of Luciles world? Can he also let his guard down & open his heart to true love. Like they say love is everything it's cracked up to be & it really is worth fighting for..
Sandhya
I loved this book!
The book does not have much ratings in goodreads but i though the plot was interesting even though the story was used, predictable one....romance between a rich socialite and a construction worker!!
It was very light hearted and entertaining that i feel happy after reading the book!
Romance was sweet n simple....not much conflicts between the characters! i loved reading it!
Both Lucy and Jake were wonderful....!
A good, happy-ending read...!!
Coco at *My Reading Nook Blog*
One thing I enjoy about Jaci Burton is that she writes for a variety of romance enthusiasts - whether your romance novel of choice is erotica or contemporary, Jaci Burton has a title for you. The characters and story were believable and the romance was hot without being kinky. Just normal people with explosive chemistry who fall in love and try to make a relationship work despite of their differences.
marlene
Oct 17, 2009 marlene rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
i wanted something fast with no plot. wink wink. well, i got no plot but i did not get the wink wink. there was no how, no way i could feel bad for Lucy. she's thirty years old and still crying because daddy tells her which boys she is allowed to go out with? sorry, but you do not have my sympathy. perhaps if she nipped that in the bud about oh say 12 years ago she wouldn't be in this position.
Vanessa
Nov 04, 2012 Vanessa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is funny, heart-warming, and vey different from the usual love stories. It has a happy ending like pretty much every love story but the characters go through a hell of a rough time to get their happy ending. What I like about this book, is that it shows that it is never too late to turn your life around. You don't like your job, quit and work somewhere else. Choose for yourself and not for others, happiness is contagious but so are bad moods.
Alisa
Apr 26, 2010 Alisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
Ok, I really did like this book. It was a good, cleaner than I have been reading, romance story. About two people from the opposite sides of the track. Both think that the other would have nothing to do with the other. Yet as many of us know, love has a way of finding a way... even in the most unlikely of matches. 2 Thumbs Up!
Maura
Jun 24, 2011 Maura rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance
Lucy is a smart lady running the family company. Her father has threatened her position within company unless she marry a man he has chosen. To thwart her father's plans Lucy comes up with a plan of her own. Enter Jack, a hot and smart construction manager she has a run in with outside her office. They enter into a marriage of convenience that becomes something more. I liked it a lot.
Tracey
As usual Jaci Burton delivered another sweet and sexy read with her trademark spicy sex scenes. The characters are human with all their flaws making it easy to identify with them/or fantasise about them. Jaci Burton's stories have a way of taping into the readers emotions that leaves you feeling satisfied with the journey.
  • Sneak Peek
  • Naughty and Nice: A Holiday Romance Collection
  • Nauti and Wild (Nauti, #6; Wild Riders, #4)
  • Unleashed (Gemini Men, #3)
  • Roping the Wind (Turner Brothers, #2)
  • Red-Hot Summer
  • Yours for the Night (Courtesans Tales, #1)
  • Exclusive
  • Twelve Wicked Nights
  • Love's Miracles
  • 72 Hours (Devlin Group, #1)
  • Naughty Little Secret
  • Performance Criteria (Droid Wars, #1)
  • Dance of Seduction
  • Total Surrender
  • Tempting Grace (Vaughn, #4)
  • Making Chase (Chase Brothers, #4)
  • Friends with Benefits
Jaci Burton is a New York Times and USA Today bestselling, award-winning author of over 70 books. She lives in Oklahoma and when she isn’t on deadline (which is often), she can usually be found wrestling with her uncooperative garden, wrangling her dogs, watching an unhealthy amount of television, or completely losing track of time reading a great book. She’s a total romantic and longs for the hap ...more
More about Jaci Burton...

“It sucked when you cared about someone and they didn't return your feelings..” 6 likes