Start by marking “The Worst-Case Scenario Almanac: History” as Want to Read:
The Worst-Case Scenario Almanac: History

The Worst-Case Scenario Almanac: History

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  107 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Best-seller history repeats itself with this dynamic new "almanac" format that broadens the scope and content of the Worst-Case Scenario handbooks. The Worst-Case Scenario Almanac: History offers step-by-step illustrated scenarios on how to win a joust, survive in a dungeon, and overcome other plights of yesteryear, but the volume also features hundreds of pages of additio ...more
Published October 26th 2006 by Chronicle Books

To ask other readers questions about The Worst-Case Scenario Almanac, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Worst-Case Scenario Almanac

Simon
Aug 07, 2011 Simon rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Historians
About time I finished this book! Damn. I remember reading this back in the winter. I started this book in 2010 and finished it more than halfway through 2011 :P After all the renewals and waiting for it back because someone had requested it from the library, and back and forth, constant crazy.

I did finally manage to make it through. I can say I actually read every word. It took 7 months and 18 days to read. That's stupid and ridiculous.

The last bit was the modern stuff and I was able to relate a
Kurtbg
This is an important book!
I have had fears about how to escape being entombed in a pyramid or how to defend myself against a sabretooth tiger. Finally "somepeople" get it right and have put together a survival manual in case you get sucked into a wormhole that takes you back in time or if you suffer from fear induced from a past life. How to joust? In there. How to survive imprisonment? Stay fit- stay mentally active. What happens if you stuck on a ship without wind? drink...

I don't know about
Ginnz
And now for something completely different. All my books are packed because I'm moving house in the next month or so and this one was still out.
It is silly, while factual and seemed to be fun. A very readable book broken down into small chunks with enough relevance to be interesting. As a filler between books and something to stop you feeling like you constantly read the same things, well worth it
Erica
This book is really funny. Every 2-3 pages is a different event with little side notes about the times or if you tried to do certain things now i.e. building the pyramids. It's full of odd information about weapons, clothes, health problems, animals etc. Not a book you're going to read in a couple of days but very good for a couple of minutes here and there.
Siria
Fun little series of stories and facts about various times in history when things have gone really, really badly. Skews to European and North American history, but has the virtue of being mostly accurate in what it says—and hey, now I know how to defend myself against a sabre tooth tiger. You never know when that's going to come in useful.
Elyse
Mildly amusing. I'll admit I didn't read one chapter - "How to Survive a Bayonet Charge". But I REALLY liked the one suggestion in "How to Survive on a Deserted Island": Don't try to spear fish - put your shirt on a forked stick and scoop them out.
Kelli
This book helped me with a lot of survival tactics. Including how survive when your ship hits an iceberg or how to kill a saber toothed tiger.
Soooooooo comical and entertaining. Great coffee table book.
Danny
It has its funny bits (how to prove you're not a witch!). But it's a bit skimpy on the actual scenarios and too heavy on the generic historical narrative. Great for a quick vacation read.
Dennis
Not quite as good as the original, but still pretty darn interesting. I wonder if I would've done better in history class if the material was presented like this...
Jessica
Really good, if short, review of history and the multitude of lessons it has to teach us. Unfortunately, most people are too busy talking about themselves to hear.
Greg
Amusing, but somehow unsatisfying. Needs more depth to the stories and "how-to" sections. Great concept, somewhat weak execution. Still fun, though.
Stephel
Jul 15, 2007 Stephel rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: history buffs, others that like this series
it's a good way to learn history!
Nick Serpa
Nick Serpa marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2015
Lindsey Williams
Lindsey Williams marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2015
Funandfailure
Funandfailure marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2015
Stephanie Alice
Stephanie Alice marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2015
Naailah Patel
Naailah Patel marked it as to-read
May 15, 2015
Laura Ketterman
Laura Ketterman marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2015
Erik Dalgleish
Erik Dalgleish marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2015
Liz
Liz marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2015
Gadamp
Gadamp marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2015
  • The Worst-Case Scenario Survival Handbook: College
  • Great Feuds in History: Ten of the Liveliest Disputes Ever
  • How Jews Became White Folks and What That Says About Race in America
  • The Good Old Days--They Were Terrible!
  • The Classics: All You Need to Know, from Zeus's Throne to the Fall of Rome
  • Signing Their Lives Away
  • Saints Behaving Badly: The Cutthroats, Crooks, Trollops, Con Men, and Devil-Worshippers Who Became Saints
  • Lives of the Presidents: Fame, Shame (and What the Neighbors Thought)
  • The Smart Aleck's Guide to American History
  • The Book of Useless Information
  • The Protest Psychosis: How Schizophrenia Became a Black Disease
  • Gunpowder: Alchemy, Bombards, and Pyrotechnics: The History of the Explosive That Changed the World
  • Uncle John's Unsinkable Bathroom Reader
  • By Permission of Heaven
  • The Deviant's Pocket Guide to the Outlandish Sexual Desires Barely Contained in Your Subconscious
  • A Medieval Life: Cecilia Penifader of Brigstock, c. 1295-1344
  • The Action Hero's Handbook: How to Catch a Great White Shark, Perform the Vulcan Nerve Pinch, Track a Fugitive, and Dozens of Other TV and Movie Skills
  • Badass: A Relentless Onslaught of the Toughest Warlords, Vikings, Samurai, Pirates, Gunfighters, and Military Commanders to Ever Live
Josh Piven is a television writer and producer, speechwriter, playwright, and the author or co-author of more than twenty non-fiction and humor books, including the worldwide best-selling The Worst-Case Scenario Survival Handbook series.

He wrote the teleplay and serves as producer of Don The Beekeeper, a half-hour children’s TV show about honeybees and urban beekeeping. His most recent stage play,
More about Joshua Piven...
The Worst-Case Scenario Survival Handbook The Worst-Case Scenario Survival Handbook: Travel The Worst-Case Scenario Survival Handbook: Dating and Sex The Complete Worst-Case Scenario Survival Handbook The Worst-Case Scenario Survival Handbook: Work