Start by marking “Daniel Webster: The Man and His Time” as Want to Read:
Daniel Webster: The Man and His Time

Daniel Webster: The Man and His Time

4.11  ·  Rating Details  ·  54 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
In almost every respect, Daniel Webster was larger than life, an intellectual colossus, a statesman of the first rank, and a man of towering and finally unfulfilled ambition. In this new biography, Webster is seen as a major player in American politics in the era between the War of 1812 and the beginning of the Civil War, involved with every significant issue confronting t ...more
Published October 17th 1997 by W. W. Norton & Company (first published February 1st 1978)

To ask other readers questions about Daniel Webster, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Daniel Webster

JoséMaría BlancoWhite
Almost 800 pages, a little too vast for the subject -even if Daniel Webster, but written with the craftsmanship and love-of subject typical of this masterful historian. The man, Webster, indeed had a long and busy life, personally and professionally, his impact on the nation as a leader, his voice epitomizing the American soul, of an America still a teen, so to speak, made him one of those few American personages deserving of a place on the top, right there with the Founding Fathers themselves.

C
Mark Roth
Nov 21, 2009 Mark Roth rated it it was amazing
After reading Robert V. Remini's excellent biography of Henry Clay (Henry Clay Statesman for the Union), I was unsurprised by the quality of this fine work. Throughout the book, Remini does an excellent job of highlighting both Webster's accomplishments and his weaknesses in an objective, well thought-out manner. I was not that familiar with Webster before reading this book, and I came away with a real feel for who he was. Webster made huge contributions to constitutional interpretation in the e ...more
M. Mangan
Mar 08, 2012 M. Mangan rated it it was amazing
I've read a lot of history, but the period of Webster's life was not a span that I've explored much. I'm very glad to have done so with this extensive book.

It was long and dense at times, but it was well worth it. It's the story of a life in a time when our nation was really still taking shape. And Webster had real impact on the form it took.

Interesting, too, was the fact that many of the same issues that we face today with Congress were there in the past. We really are the same damn humans. I w
Jerry Landry
This read took a while because, as with all of Remini's books, this biography of Daniel Webster goes into depth about Webster's life. However, since I didn't know much about Webster before reading this book, it did an excellent job of informing me about what made Webster tick and how he fit into his time. With this work, Remini proves yet again why he is one of the preeminent scholars of the Jacksonian era of American history.
Lynette
Jan 05, 2013 Lynette rated it it was amazing
This is the best book I have read in long time!!!!! I seriously believe the idiots we have in Washington needs to read this!!!! I recommend that everyboday read this!!!!!
Jim
Nov 02, 2015 Jim rated it really liked it
This is a very detailed book of the life of Daniel Webster. I learned a lot about politics and the Supreme Court from reading the book.
Ronald
Jul 26, 2011 Ronald rated it really liked it
Good and long. Best read in tandem with a biography of Henry Clay. Remini is detailed but not boring.
Cathy
Mar 11, 2013 Cathy rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013
A pretty good book but it took me forever to finish it. Think I often got bogged down in the details.
Michael Barker
Aug 04, 2011 Michael Barker rated it it was amazing
Great read after I finally got going.
Clayton Cummings
Clayton Cummings marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2016
Bengonzalez
Bengonzalez marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2016
Lee
Lee is currently reading it
Jun 19, 2016
Kevin
Kevin marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2016
Cynthia Coletti
Cynthia Coletti marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2016
Suzanned99
Suzanned99 marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2016
Ann
Ann marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2016
Jerry-Book
Jerry-Book rated it liked it
May 31, 2016
James Sutherland
James Sutherland marked it as to-read
May 25, 2016
Literary Chic
Literary Chic marked it as to-read
May 24, 2016
Thomas
Thomas marked it as to-read
May 04, 2016
Chad Wyancko
Chad Wyancko marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2016
Jay
Jay marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2016
Mike Soja
Mike Soja marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2016
Mickey Lovingood
Mickey Lovingood rated it liked it
Mar 26, 2016
Eric
Eric marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2016
Mark Smith
Mark Smith marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2016
Jim
Jim rated it really liked it
Apr 17, 2016
Ben
Ben rated it it was amazing
Apr 29, 2016
Liselotte
Liselotte marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2016