Start by marking “Blood Pact” as Want to Read:
Blood Pact

Blood Pact (Gaunt's Ghosts #12)

4.2  ·  Rating Details ·  1,349 Ratings  ·  41 Reviews
Pulled back from the front line, the men of the Tanith First-and-Only await news of their next deployment. But when an enemy prisoner is brought in for interrogation, Gaunt is drawn into a murderous web of intrigue. Who can be trusted, and exactly what does the prisoner know that makes him so valuable?
Published October 24th 2009 by Not Avail

To ask other readers questions about Blood Pact, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blood Pact

Student Teacher
Feb 25, 2011 Student Teacher rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So Dan Abnett and written yet another Gaunt's Ghosts book. This on is called Blood Pact. Now I have to admit, after reading Sabbat Worlds, I was a little worried about this one.

Damn you Dan Abnett (I love you Dan Abnett), just when I think I have gotten over you, you prove that I just can't quit you! I read this book in three days, and for me thats pretty quick. I usually sit down to read for about 30 minutes each night before I go to bed, with some books its difficult to plow through one chapte
Derek Weese
Feb 28, 2014 Derek Weese rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Yet again Dan Abnett knocks one out of the park with his excellent 'Gaunt's Ghost's' series.
Blood Pact is a little something different than the rest of the books in the series. There are no epic battles, no massive tank/armor clashes, no titan battles, no dogfights, no siege lines. Instead the Ghost's are kicking their heels on Balhaut, the scene of Gaunt's first major success back when he was in Commissar with the Hyrkans. Unbeknownst to any of them, especially after two years of doing jack al
Andrew Ziegler
Aug 04, 2011 Andrew Ziegler rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Finished this book last night. At first it was reading like Traitor General, only it was the exact opposite. Instead of Gaunt and a team infiltrating a Chaos held world to kill a high value target, they were instead trying to protect a high value target on a Imperial world.

I thought the book was good and Abnett once again delivered in this series I so very much love. However, it seemed way to short and way to, how can I say this, fluffy? There is a lengthy description of Tona Criid and her runn
Matthew
Dec 20, 2010 Matthew rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gw-sci-fi-read
Downtime For The Ghosts, Or So They Thought

The ghosts are waiting for their next deployment, trouble won’t wait for them though, a prisoner has grasped there notice and also the notice of the people he has betrayed who are coming for him, Gaunt and his ghosts must stop them from retrieving them at all costs, the crusade may depend on it, plenty of action and character pieces to keep everyone ticking along, not the best of the series but a good breather before the next story arc happens, also wit
Jacob
Jul 09, 2016 Jacob rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: military-scifi, scifi
Quite a bit more sentimental than the other Gaunt's Ghosts books. Smaller action although still brutal. Shows how dangerous the age they're in is even when you're surrounded by your own side.
Adam Whitehead
Two years have passed since the ferocious battle for Hinzerhaus Fortress on Jago. The Tanith First and Only won a famous victory, but only at a horrendous cost in lives. Battered and bleeding, the Tanith First finally won a respite, being rotated back to sector HQ on Balhaut for a well-earned rest after ten years on the front lines.

However, two years of inaction has led to problems with discipline, training and morale. In the midst of these problems, Colonel-Commissar Ibram Gaunt is summoned to
Mark
Aug 16, 2009 Mark rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2010-read
Blood Pact is the new entry in the hugely popular Gaunt's Ghosts series set in the Warhammer 40,000 universe. Being the 12th entry in the series it's usually quite wise to be familiar with the characters as jumping in at this stage more often than not causes confusion, head scratching and the general feeling of being lost. Not being one for tradition this is pretty much exactly what I did. I'm not a complete newbie to the Gaunt's Ghosts books - I read the first, First and Only, at the end of 200 ...more
Jean-Luc
One of my resolutions for this year was to read books about something other than Space Marines... Technically, I'm sticking to that resolution, because this is a book about the Imperial Guard. The last omnibus, The Lost, was so good that I couldn't bear to wait a year or so for the next omnibus. Blood Pact is the 12th book in the Gaunt's Ghosts series, 13th if you consider The Iron Star to be the 12th, but it's not; Iron Star is a short story.

The Ghosts have withdrawn to Balhaut to recuperate fr
Mary Catelli
This is the twelfth book in the Gaunt's Ghosts series. It can be read as a stand-alone, unlike, say, Only In Death, but I don't recommend it as the series does have arcs. And this review may spoil the earlier works.

Takes place two years after Only In Death, so the emotional trauma they suffered in that book has at least settled down. (This is a less dark book than Only In Death. Then, that is not difficult.) Gaunt is, for instance, coping with his new eyes. On the other hand, they were taken off
Martin
Nov 03, 2012 Martin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: warhammer-40k, sci-fi
Blood Pact

After the gruelling events on Jago, the Tanith First is removed from active service for the first time since its founding and sent to Balhaut to perform garrison duties. Two years on, however, the Ghosts are becoming restless from the lack of combat and purpose. A number of them go as far as committing crime to amuse themselves. Ibram Gaunt himself becomes increasingly idle and distracted, but remains confident that the Tanith First will return to the front again soon.

Events turn as Ga
Rachel
Oct 19, 2011 Rachel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love it, Love it, Love it!

Oh how I have missed Gaunt's Ghosts, this series of books is brilliantly written, with fast paced action, details descriptions and realistic characters. Everytime I pick one of these books up I know I am in for a sleepless night because I just can't put them down. Yes the series is set in the warhammer universe and is strange and violent, but I love it.....although don't tell my other half.

This was a great book in the series, with the Ghost's being stood down on Balhaut
Edoardo Albert
A slightly different book from Abnett's normal battlefield Gaunt's Ghosts efforts - this is more on-the-run thriller, crossed with double-cross spy novel. Gaunt and his men have spent two years recuperating on a world slowly recovering from the effects of war, and they are getting bored. But then Gaunt is called in to help with the interrogation of a prisoner, who claims to have vital information he will reveal only to Gaunt. But before the prisoner can speak, the base is attacked by enemy agent ...more
Razael
Mar 02, 2015 Razael rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A bit different story for Gaunt and his ghosts. Instead large scale war theater, the reader is introduced into a thriller action. Silent, bloody murderers from the Blood Pact are sent into a suicide mission, deep inside the hearth of Imperium territory (conqured by the Crusade 15 years ago) to locate and eliminate a traitor general that surrendered himself to the Imperials. Their plan is good and well executed, but what they don't know is that on the very same planet there are Ghosts... Gaunt Gh ...more
Meitnerio
May 03, 2015 Meitnerio rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A pesar de que se trata de volver a reabrir la saga de una manera innecesaria, ésta vuelve con fuerza en una novela fácil de leer y entretenida con ganas. El lenguaje es el esperable de Abnett, directo y ágil, con personajes bien construidos y escenas de acción bien coreografiadas. Su simplicidad y su ritmo hacen que las páginas pasen como nada. Le falta la complejidad de las intrigas de las entregas previas, pero es material de calidad para cualquiera que haya disfrutado de las diez partes ante ...more
Joe Moley
Very fast read... finished it in about 4 hours. Probably the weakest in the "Ghosts" series while at the same time still entertaining enough.

There is definitely a different feel for this one. Gone are the insane battle scenes and the action is a bit sparce when compared to the other books in this series. However, it was good to get back in touch with some of the characters. Unfortunately, it was so short that I didn't get enough.

This book felt more like a "prologue" to the next book which is s
Christian
An excellent change of pace as Gaunt and his Ghosts tangle with both the Inquisition and the Commissariat as they try to protect a high value prisoner from a Chaos kill squad in the middle of a major city. I loved the themes of historical revisionism or forgetfullness and how truth gives away to legend. The ending, as usual, was very dramatic and very bitter-sweet. Oh, and the whole phrase is: The Emperor protects the virtuous.
Richard
Jan 06, 2010 Richard rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This newest book in Dan Abnett's Gaunt's Ghosts series is just as good, if not better, than the previous installments. Abnett delivers a change in pace, as the hectic blow-by-blow fighting of the previous books is replaced by a tense, gripping, battle that brings Gaunt back to where it all began for him. As always, the book left me waiting impatiently for more of my favorite Imperial Army misfits.
Tobin
Dec 28, 2014 Tobin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The twelfth book in the series and it does not disappoint. One does wonder how long Gaunt and his Ghosts can go though. The 13th installment is on the way from the library so I'll be reading it soon. The 14th is yet to be published as I write this (Jan 2015) and I am beginning to wonder about the long delay.

No matter though. This story still punched pretty well and went further into the 40k Universe.

Recommended for many.

I have it 8/10 on my personal scale.

-tpl
Mhoram
Feb 06, 2012 Mhoram rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not the best of Dan Abnett's "Gaunt's Ghosts" series, but pretty high up there. Abnett did a pretty fine job of capturing the psychological perspective of the soldier pulled back from the war that is all he's known for far too long. The story itself was a little on the predictable side, but it was well-executed enough to stay interesting all the way through.
Alfred Janson
Jul 05, 2011 Alfred Janson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Abnett has done it again.

Once again he has perfected a page turner that is very easy to flip through while it still gives you much more than expected from a pulp military sci-fi thriller. The way Abnett evolves all the characters and make you care about them is magnificent.

I for one hopes that Abnett will make more stops in the Sabbath Worlds.
Troy
Nov 09, 2009 Troy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wh40k
Another great book in the Gaunt's Ghosts series. I didn't think it was as strong as the recent "Only in Death" but I think that's the difference between a book at the end of an arc this one which is setting up the next arc of books. Abnett keeps the story fresh by moving to yet another environment and giving us a look at the Ghosts when they are not on the frontline.
Richard Mann
Jan 05, 2011 Richard Mann rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another amazing chapter in the saga of the Gaunt and the Ghosts. This was a great read (finished in three days and was riveted all the way through). The tie-in to the previous series ending and continuing the development of the archenemies forces of the Blood Pact faction was exceptional.
Patt
Nov 21, 2012 Patt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Catching up to Traitor General but not quite there. Action packed and a good story i just didn buy the bit where the Blood Pact blinded the Imperial response to their incursion stuff like that i see as utter crap and a total fantasy of the author who is ironically writting a fantasy story.
S
Jul 22, 2010 S rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: warhammer-40k
Much better than the last two books. Although they are all enjoyable, Mr.Abnett stretches I think to far and the story feels dead as the last two books demonstrated. This book though is Gaunt and his Ghosts in full stride.
Hopefully we don't have to wait long for the next installment.
Eric
Jul 30, 2012 Eric rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book, love his work. He's very detail and injects so much action into his writing that I cannot put down his books. I literally spend nights reading until I finish the book. Does an amazing job of balancing detailed descriptions as not to over exaggerate or make things dull and cheesy
Michaelt
Gaunt and his Ghosts at it again. Lacks a lot of the fun of the previous Ghost novels. Mostly too much focus on Gaunt instead of the other soldiers. Instead of large battles and military actions, we get a small group running from an assassination team for most of the book.
Matt Holland
Apr 25, 2011 Matt Holland rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not the best of Gaunt's Ghosts, but a solid read. I'll let you find out for yourself if anymore much-loved characters are killed off this time...
Martin Ruff
Aug 11, 2013 Martin Ruff rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: box-16
Excellent Gaunts Ghosts as always…! Different setting, more mysterious, but great all the same, ghosts spirit shines through, interesting perpective into the blood pact and rituals.
Lord Nikon
Aug 10, 2014 Lord Nikon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Outstanding 12th volume in the Ghosts series. I can't say enough good things about Dan Abnett's skill with bringing the Warhammer 40K world to life.
I.F. Adams
Mar 24, 2016 I.F. Adams rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good yarn in Abnett's "Gaunts Ghosts". I like ones like these that are less out and out big-scale combat and more sneaking about and black-ops style.
  • Cain's Last Stand
  • Storm of Iron
  • Soul Hunter
  • Let the Galaxy Burn
  • Nemesis
  • Flesh and Iron
  • Lord of the Night
  • Fear the Alien
  • Path of the Seer (Path of the Eldar, #2)

Gaunt's Ghosts (1 - 10 of 19 books)
  • First and Only (Gaunt's Ghosts, #1)
  • Ghostmaker (Gaunt's Ghosts, #2)
  • Necropolis