Start by marking “The Confession (Hard Case Crime #6)” as Want to Read:
The Confession (Hard Case Crime #6)

The Confession (Hard Case Crime #6)

3.53 of 5 stars 3.53  ·  rating details  ·  265 ratings  ·  36 reviews

Jake Danser has it all: a beautiful wife, a house in the California hills, a high-profile job as a forensic psychologist. But he’s also got a mistress. And when Jake’s mistress is found strangled to death with his necktie, it’s up to him to prove he didn’t do it. Â

But how can he, when all the evidence says he did?Â

Jake races to revea
Mass Market Paperback, 218 pages
Published November 1st 2004 by Hard Case Crime

To ask other readers questions about The Confession, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Confession

Being a fan of Stansberry's "Last Days of Il Duce," I was really looking forward to his recent effort - "The Confession" -for the Hard Case series. I wasn't disappointed. Besides the title - which is a little lame, but I suppose goes with the Hard Case tenor and (great) cover art, I was treated to a very tightly written effort that will remind readers of Patricia Highsmith's Ripley, and Bloch's (Hitchcocks's) Norman Bates. Oh, Jake Danser is his own psycho killer, no copy cat he; but where the s ...more
Dan Schwent
Jake Danser's a psychiatrist with a rich wife and enviable status. And a mistress. When the mistress turns up dead and all fingers point toward Jake, he struggles to clear his name. But did he do it?

First off, even though this book isn't the typical Hard Case noir thriller, I enjoyed it. It's creepy as hell not knowing who the real killer is and if Jake, the narrator, is telling the truth to the reader. That's about all I can say without giving away plot points. The writing is engaging and the c
The best psychological mystery I read all year in 2007. Will be a classic.
Two-Time Edgar Award nominee Domenic Stansberry confesses an awful lot in THE CONFESSION ... or, at least, his first personal narrative surrounding the mystery Jake Danser, psychologist/psychiatrist, finds himself smack dab in the middle of: his mistress is found strangled with his own missing blue necktie, and Jake is in a treacherous race against time to prove that he didn't do it ... or did he?

THE CONFESSION is the kind of book that's extremely difficult to pen a review of, largely, because
This book is super creepy, much in the same way that a book like The Killer Inside Me is creepy, but with an added edge of horrific sexual behavior and dementia. I really enjoyed the play that the author does with his audience, making it hard to tell which things the narrator is accurately remembering, which he is lying about, and which things he has constructed as part of his sense of self.
The best character in the novel is the narrator's lawyer, who takes pleasure in freeing people that she se
I got this book for Christmas and felt obligated to read it. The narrator is a forensic psychologist who, you gradually realize, is also a serial killer. He describes for judges, lawyers, and policemen all the characteristics of such sociopaths, apparently not realizing that he's also presenting to the reader the very characteristics he's describing. Eventually the only real suspense is whether he will get away with his murders. I won't spoil that for anyone who might be interested, but for me t ...more
Greg of A2
"Psychology of a killer" ought to be the subtitle to this one. The reader is always a little off-guard with just enough info to make you feel like you know what's happening but in the back of your mind there's some doubt to that statement. I give the author credit for his handling of the subject matter as many other authors tread over this territory and leave mutilated bodies and oodles of gore in their wake. I can't say that I loved the book but I appreciate it for what it was and how the autho ...more
Aug 29, 2014 John rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: noir
“All of these were things I had once hoped to bury, but now I realized the folly of it. Because there is always one more thing to bury. We are never done…”

I got into Hard Case Crime a couple years ago and every book I have read of the series thus far has been engaging, fun, and worth the lucre. That said, Domenic Stansberry’s The Confession is a stand-out page-turner. Main character Jake Danser is, like most other people I know named “Jake,” a complete dick. He cheats on his wife. He is obsessed
Although it becomes pretty clear very early on just where this story is going to go, it's still a pleasure to watch Stansberry dance his tricky narrative tightrope with such adroitness. But I think what really makes this novel is the beautiful writing. Rich, oddly cadenced prose, and a sumptuous evocation of place––in this instance, Marin County and environs. A fine job, and I will be looking up Stansberry's other books.
My travels through the Hard Case Crime library continue with book #6, The Confession by Domenic Stansberry. I’ve never heard of the author, but the premise sounded somewhat interesting. Jake Danser is a criminal psychologist who suffers from some weird black out disease. He loses time. He gets set up for a murder and chaos ensues. But maybe he really did commit the murder?

Sounds cool right? Well, it could have been, but it wasn’t. See, the book is told from Jake’s perspective and it’s kind of ha
James  W. Powell
I enjoyed reading The Confession, which is a solid murder mystery novel. However, Stansberry does such a great job of balancing the mystery of whether or not the narrator is innocent or guilty that, in the end, I don't think I would've been satisfied with either option. At one moment it's obvious he's the killer, and at the next I assume that certain comments are red herrings, meant to distract us from the truth. The ending works on several levels, but unfortunately, I wasn't satisfied.
Jordan McPeek
I love first person books, fiction or non-fiction. They're usually so engaging, like this one. What I don't usually like is psychological books. More plot, less character, I say. But this one got me past all that. It was fascinating to follow this character into his world, his very subjective world, and see where he goes. Such a strong sense of how he sees things so differently from others in the world around him, as if he's floating through life in a heavily insulated bubble full of mirrors and ...more
Will Ezell
Great noir atmosphere - characters. I had to double check the publish date - it felt like I was reading a book published in the 50's. Unfortunately devoid of surprise with a predictable outcome.
Michael Mcqueen
I have read the Hard Case Crime books in order thus far, with this being #6.

This one is much different from the others, mainly because it is much slower paced, and the action is limited. Much deeper on a psychological level than the others, and I suppose that is why I was more disappointed with this one than most of the others.

The novel is fine as far as it goes, but it really doesn't seem to fit in with the "pulp fiction", or crime noir genre.

Not a bad book, but I don't really believe it fits
Claudette Gabbs
well...that was unexpected
Nov 06, 2008 Erik rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Hard Case crime fans
This is the third book I've read from the Hard Case catalog and while I enjoyed it... I didn't like it nearly as much as the previous two (Colorado Kid and Touch of Death). It was however a great vacation read, so it didn't disappoint. What this story lacked wasn't that it didn't grab my attention or the style was disagreeable, but I really didn't care for the main character. It's a nitpicky and subjective point, but my feeling nevertheless.
This novel was an interesting and quick read. While the premise is easy to figure from the first page the actions and narrative drive just keep you reading from start to finish. This novel had the feel of a modern throwback to a Hitchcock film. Check out the other novels in the Hard Case Crime series. They are worth your time.

If reading isn't fun, then you're not doing it right.
Wow! Top writing on this psychological noir. Tighly focused on a "confession" by a criminal psychologist, 1st peron POV. Not dark in the sense that the setting is in upper-middle class, professional society. Plot develops as the novel moves along, but strong focus on character. A classic, in my view. A must-read.
Hard Case Crime

2004 copyright, vs. the usualy older stories reprinted with a new cover

A new to me author

Successful forensic psychologist in the Bay Area has the tables turned on him when his mistress is found murdered.

A dark but intriguing look at forensic psychology. Good read.

Entertaining read. You pretty much know, or at least strongly suspect, who the killer is in the first few pages. There were a number of opportunities for twists but they never materialized. Maybe the biggest twist for me was that there wasn't one. It made the plot more interesting.
This book is part of the Hard Case Crime series, which are old Noir novels from many authors that have been republished or new novels written in the old noir style. They are all fast moving, entertaining reads. Some are better crafted than others and this is one of those.
Jason DeGroot
Creeeepy. I won't say more than that 'cause it'll give the book away, but a super-fast Hard Case read, I started it this morning and finished it tonight. If you're a fan of crime fiction, this one is a clever, original, creepy piece of work.
Mike Bloom
A somewhat pretentious "psychological thriller." Creepy, pulpy, but very entertaining. Generally speaking, this book provides what I am looking for when picking up a Hard Case Crime paperback.
Daniel Cloutier
Stark geschriebener psychologischer Thriller von einem ausgesprochen cleveren Autoren. Ich bin beeindruckt. "Nur" vier Sterne, da nicht ganz mein Genre.
I have been reading the pulp fiction Hard Case Crime paperbacks as they came out for years, but had missed a few. I found the three I had missed and completed my collection. This is the sixth book published.
Nov 22, 2015 John rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2015
It can be heavy-handed. But it was darker than I expected, which I appreciated and enjoyed. Some passages sent my eyes agog. Often, I was reminded of James M. Cain. That is a delightful thing.
Elijah Spector
The first Hard Case book I read. Very good, very creepy. Not a traditional old-fashioned noir-type novel at all.
Domenic rocks. Loved this one. A great narrator who we have much to learn about.
  • Branded Woman (Hard Case Crime #11)
  • Witness to Myself (Hard Case Crime #19)
  • A Touch of Death (Hard Case Crime #17)
  • Fade to Blonde
  • Two for the Money (Hard Case Crime #5)
  • The Wounded and the Slain
  • Dutch Uncle (Hard Case Crime #12)
  • The Last Match (Hard Case Crime #25)
  • Say It With Bullets (Hard Case Crime #18)
  • Robbie's Wife (Hard Case Crime #29)
  • Home Is the Sailor (Hard Case Crime #7)
  • Bust (Max & Angela, #1)
  • Kiss Her Goodbye
  • Little Girl Lost (Hard Case Crime #4)
  • The Girl with the Long Green Heart (Hard Case Crime #14)
  • Lucky at Cards (Hard Case Crime #28)
  • Fright (Hard Case Crime #34)
  • The Murderer Vine (Hard Case Crime #43)
Domenic Stansberry is an Edgar Award winning novelist known for his dark, innovative crime novels. His most recent novel The Ancient Rain, is set in the aftermath of 9/ll, when a federal investigator re-opens murder charges in a politically charged slaying that occurred some thirty years before. Other books in the same series include The Big Boom and Chasing the Dragon.

An earlier novel, The Confes
More about Domenic Stansberry...